[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

This ssto engine currently only fulfills what myself want it to do. But is not yet complete as i will continue to adjust it to be more immersive to the game! The reason it does not have an intake yet is because in ksp, intake parts should be on their own with a mass about 0.01. And making this engine have an intake would be problematic from what i understand. Therefore the easy solution would be making this engine modular, and i think mk2's side profile would be a suitable for that. So yes Gryphorim in 1.5 this engine will have separate parts and it could fit mk2.

Having it modular would be wonderfull, this engin design is soooo cool, it should be available for regular planes :D

This ssto engine currently only fulfills what myself want it to do. But is not yet complete as i will continue to adjust it to be more immersive to the game! The reason it does not have an intake yet is because in ksp, intake parts should be on their own with a mass about 0.01. And making this engine have an intake would be problematic from what i understand. Therefore the easy solution would be making this engine modular, and i think mk2's side profile would be a suitable for that. So yes Gryphorim in 1.5 this engine will have separate parts and it could fit mk2.

Hey I tried out this mod and I really like it. And I think the idea of the Engine as an Air-Augmented Rocket is really what KSP needs, especially for Atmo-without-Oxygen Planets. For that Reason I don't like the Idea of splitting it into modular Parts, since the research i made on the technology suggests that the Air should stream in in a straight line to work properly, and I think having it one Part is easier because you don't need to implement a new ressource, just basing it on the density as it is now.

Or if you want to do a modular engine too: Don't make it an Air-augmented rocket but something like the Rapier AND keep the current Air-Augmented Rocket as a single big part. I really like the way it looks and it's size. And for Mk2 usefullness: maybe make a smaller scaled down version of it too, but keeping intake and engine in one part still.

Also i would like to suggest some further refinement of the Engine behaviour:

As I understand the efficiency of such a device relies on how many Air-mass is going through the Engine at a given time. So instead of a peak efficiency at 7km and a reliancy on ship mass, it should really go the 'most intake mass' way. That means making scaling the efficiency on Air density AND Surface Speed.

Example ISPs:

Space: 370s , Runway- not moving: 400s, Sea Level- Mach 1: 1000s, 10km-Mach 1: 400s, Sea Level- Mach3: 2500s , 10km- Mach 3: 1300s, 10km-Mach 0(Zero): 380s

Eve Sea Level, Mach 0.2: 2000s

You get the Idea?

I don't know if you can make it reliant on the Surface Speed but i think you can fetch the Surface speed data and then it should also be possible to implement it into the efficiency.

But please if anything, keep it an Air-augmented Rocket (at least the big engine), i feel thats exactly the type of technology KSP-Scientists need and at the same time being a well known possible concept and not SciFi.

Great Mod so far, could become my favorite mod of them all!

I like these parts. I can't make anything that flies with them yet, but they look pretty. I just finished up a big mothership and it looked really awesome - only snag was it needed about 1.7 Saturn Vs to lift it to orbit. Or rather, it would've done had my game not crashed just as I was finishing up.

One thing - I noticed a drop in FPS when certain parts are present - the big cargo bay, for instance.

But yes, these are very nice, good stuff!

As far as engine parts having built in intakes, B9 has done exactly that on several of its radially attached engines for a long time now.

FOr DRE shielding give the parts 0.25 reflection and no ablative. Angle the direction 45 degrees down. Except wings. Those should be omnidirectional

These parts look so cool! Especially the engine and the JSL cockpit. I can't wait till jet engines are implemented!

Also, the engine noise sounds so epic and futuristic. I really look forward for the next iterations of this mod. :)

Oh before I go, can I ask if you're going to add SAS units to all the fuselage sizes and also some big-ass batteries would be greatly appreciated too :3

Hey I tried out this mod and I really like it. And I think the idea of the Engine as an Air-Augmented Rocket is really what KSP needs, especially for Atmo-without-Oxygen Planets. For that Reason I don't like the Idea of splitting it into modular Parts, since the research i made on the technology suggests that the Air should stream in in a straight line to work properly, and I think having it one Part is easier because you don't need to implement a new ressource, just basing it on the density as it is now.

Or if you want to do a modular engine too: Don't make it an Air-augmented rocket but something like the Rapier AND keep the current Air-Augmented Rocket as a single big part. I really like the way it looks and it's size. And for Mk2 usefullness: maybe make a smaller scaled down version of it too, but keeping intake and engine in one part still.

Also i would like to suggest some further refinement of the Engine behaviour:

As I understand the efficiency of such a device relies on how many Air-mass is going through the Engine at a given time. So instead of a peak efficiency at 7km and a reliancy on ship mass, it should really go the 'most intake mass' way. That means making scaling the efficiency on Air density AND Surface Speed.

Example ISPs:

Space: 370s , Runway- not moving: 400s, Sea Level- Mach 1: 1000s, 10km-Mach 1: 400s, Sea Level- Mach3: 2500s , 10km- Mach 3: 1300s, 10km-Mach 0(Zero): 380s

Eve Sea Level, Mach 0.2: 2000s

You get the Idea?

I don't know if you can make it reliant on the Surface Speed but i think you can fetch the Surface speed data and then it should also be possible to implement it into the efficiency.

But please if anything, keep it an Air-augmented Rocket (at least the big engine), i feel thats exactly the type of technology KSP-Scientists need and at the same time being a well known possible concept and not SciFi.

Great Mod so far, could become my favorite mod of them all!

Thanks! Ill keep those in mind in the future! they are great informations, maybe ill write up a plugin that does just that

I like these parts. I can't make anything that flies with them yet, but they look pretty. I just finished up a big mothership and it looked really awesome - only snag was it needed about 1.7 Saturn Vs to lift it to orbit. Or rather, it would've done had my game not crashed just as I was finishing up.

One thing - I noticed a drop in FPS when certain parts are present - the big cargo bay, for instance.

But yes, these are very nice, good stuff!

The fps problem and texture details is what i really want to tackle before putting it as release. This is my first time modding a game because i love ksp so much. Even i was quite familiar with blender i still learned ALOT since i started this mod. I am abit frustrated about some irreversible mistakes i made, so i decide for V1.5 ill remake most parts. This will take a while even one or two month but i think everyone can expect some 'release grade' stuff :D

this is an example: the j cockpit now have about 1000 faces, the new one below only have 500 faces and it will still look better than the current model

bHxmufI.png

As far as engine parts having built in intakes, B9 has done exactly that on several of its radially attached engines for a long time now.

FOr DRE shielding give the parts 0.25 reflection and no ablative. Angle the direction 45 degrees down. Except wings. Those should be omnidirectional

Yeah maybe ill ask bac9 how is he doing it haha

These parts look so cool! Especially the engine and the JSL cockpit. I can't wait till jet engines are implemented!

Also, the engine noise sounds so epic and futuristic. I really look forward for the next iterations of this mod. :)

Oh before I go, can I ask if you're going to add SAS units to all the fuselage sizes and also some big-ass batteries would be greatly appreciated too :3

Thanks! ill keep those suggestion in mind as well!

Awesome Mod Yeon! I am trying to use it as an epic looking "mothership to the stars" (well planets at least). Having trouble assembling it in space. Any thoughts on the best way to do this? Using your 1.5 M adapter right now.

From what I've messed around with so far this is great! One annoyance I did have was with the ARIE engine. Is there any way to change where on the engine it is attached from? Directly from the side of the engine makes attaching it in certain places at certain angles is very difficult. Especially while trying to have it not clip through the ship itself. Otherwise, the mod is fantastic!

If I may have another few suggestions: I'm loving the drop bay, and I'm already attempting to make a platform that lowers to the ground via IR. Is there any way you could have a dropbay variant that has such a platform integrated already? Is it also possible to be able to switch what fuels are in each adapter like b9 has recently changed?

Again, thank you so much! If you keep doing awesome work I may switch to this from b9. I love the stockalike look and I want to get back to the roots(no pun intended to campaign) with this and the mk4 parts mod. The one thing that I can't live without is my cargobays and sleek looking space planes. Thank you!

From what I've messed around with so far this is great! One annoyance I did have was with the ARIE engine. Is there any way to change where on the engine it is attached from? Directly from the side of the engine makes attaching it in certain places at certain angles is very difficult. Especially while trying to have it not clip through the ship itself. Otherwise, the mod is fantastic!

I made a cfg edit to the engine that makes it simpler to attach as this was annoying me too.

Open the part cfg file with notepad and change the node_attach parameters to this-

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3

then save the cfg file.

Its not a perfect fix, but it makes the engine much easier to use.

I really like the style of this pack Yeon! Nice work! Thankyou

Notes on the latest version

• The J Docking/Utility Bay has some sort of ring around its docking port which looks like it has inverted normals (on the extending part of the docking port). I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there.
  • The J Docking/Utility Bay still has side nodes sitting around.
  • The J Docking/Utility Bay is not detected as a cargo bay by FAR (and as such parts placed inside will not be shielded). I think this can be fixed by adding FARCargoBayModule in the FAR config (done below).
  • You can combine the FAR/NEAR configs. I also noticed a few errors/missing parts (landing gear, Mk2-J adapter), so I fixed them. CFG is posted below.
  • The small landing gear still has a space in its name. I've marked it as opt_gears_s in the FAR cfg below.
  • The Mk2-J adapter doesn't have the FSFuelSwitch module
  • I think it's standard to have the resource amounts for FSFuelSwitch be the same between LF, LF+O, and MonoProp.

{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
!MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
}
@PART[ij_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ils_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk23_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_dropBay]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[js_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_docking_port]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0

MODULE
{
name = FARCargoBayModule
}
}
@PART[j_4m_lab]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_8m_cargo]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_4m_tanks]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_engineMount_4]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk2j_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_m]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_s]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[arie_engine]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]

Is it just me or is there a little bug with the ARIE engine?

Either the Thrust is not aligned or the mount point is not aligned. It seems even with thr crafts that come with the mod, in vacuum while thrusting the ship is turning up. Which can only be explained by the CoT not directly in line with CoM.

i cant dock my capsule with the j-Utility Bay the ports are magneticly attracting etch other but instead of docking they fly thou etch other, does anybody else have this issue?

Yes I can confirm this. Got my plane into orbit, limping on fumes to the gas station. Once there alligned the docking ports, got close, magnetism happens and not much else. No SAS on both crafts. I saved at that point and tried to see if reloading would fix that issue. That is when something really freaky happened. The magnetic force on load ripped the whole j-Utility Bay out of the plane leaving a j-Utility Bay sized hole. The plane was still considered as being one though by the game. It would happen on every reload.

i cant dock my capsule with the j-Utility Bay the ports are magneticly attracting etch other but instead of docking they fly thou etch other, does anybody else have this issue?

Yes, it's very hard to dock to that port (either it doesn't have collision or it isn't animated correctly), but it's possible. Use translational thrusters to halt the bouncing, it'll dock eventually. The sweet spot is just a little over the end of the port.

Have you considered making the hollow structural fuselages actually hollow (and marked as cargo bays for FAR)?

OhybP.jpg

As it is, you can clumsily force things in there, but the SPH often doesn't play well when you do that, and FAR accounts for all those parts in its drag calculations.

I love the designs of these parts. It is my new preferred base for building large SSTOs.

If I may have another few suggestions: I'm loving the drop bay, and I'm already attempting to make a platform that lowers to the ground via IR. Is there any way you could have a dropbay variant that has such a platform integrated already?

I wanted exactly the same. Here's what I built.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Awesome looking parts I have to say! Can't wait for an official release!

Just one thing I noticed: The J Docking/Utility Bay has it's control form here node inverted. The view is actually pointing downward instead of in the direction of the docking port.

Anyone know of a way to fix this? Is there a value in the config file that controls this?