[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

How do the new parts work with FAR? Any integration yet?

The cfg that ships with the mod has some issues, but I posted a corrected one a couple of pages back. The docking bay still has some problems though (which can't be fixed without model changes), but apparently the docking port doesn't work anyway so just don't use it for now.

The original intent was create an engine that can operate in the atmosphere without oxygen, but I think the compressor part was abit unnecessary aswell. Im changing the engine back to LFO + Air Engine so it will be much easier to use.

I am almost done with the next patch! Ill be uploading it to the mod sites this Sunday if all goes well! Heres some test shots!

http://i.imgur.com/lqjigNR.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/JQquTrn.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/qYsDluP.png

Seems like you've got an engine again that can actually lift the 100 ton crafts someone will most likely build with your parts. Looks excellent, great stuff K.Yeon. Please tell me you brought the experimental cockpit back!

blowfish that is not entirely correct. The docking module works partially in that you can dock with it. I managed it fairly easily this time without magnetic forces ripping the whole thing out of the ship. But when you control it from the dock you have to think upside down, because the node points down instead of up. If you let Mechjeb's docking autopilot handle the maneuver it will try to dock with the hull instead of the port.

You mean LFO+Air like it's becoming an Air-augmented Rocket again? That would be really nice, I'm really looking for a good Air-augmented rocket part (aka RamRocket) to use with missions heading to Eve in RSS 5x.

Hi K.Yeon,

I have a rather unusual question :P

I ran into problems with the cargo bay doors having their own collision, so when you open them when clipped, the entire thing tends to break apart.

I am totally clueless about modding besides editing simple things of part/craft cfg`s to fix small issues and I wonderd if there was an easy way to disable the collision on the doors or the entire cargo bay?

I know this is an odd question, but trying to push KSP into my dream scale and it requires abit of, uhm, creative thinking lol

Second welding test with a super structure for an actual giant scifi ship: https://imgur.com/a/I360J

After this, I want to use majority of your parts to make a station that makes this thing look like a shuttle, but that`s where the collision mesh is going to get really an issue :(

Cheers and hopefully it can be done :P

Looks great!!!

But when I downloaded it it only showed me the new parts and not the old ones.

However, love this mod

:)

Which parts are missing? Some of the mod's original parts have been replaced in the latest update, if that's what you mean.

Really nice update, Looks great now with streamlines textures at the J parts.

The K plate adapter is giving some trouble because of ist thickness, tried 10 minutes to place it and then gace up because all other nodes got the attach.

And another thing that seems to only hit me, the planes with OPT parts are moving to left or right side right after takeoff, I do everything in symmetry, and the way it happens seems to be that only one engine gets calculated but only in the air.

I had the same problem with the compressors in 1.49. Is thre anyone experiencing something similar?

Really nice update, Looks great now with streamlines textures at the J parts.

The K plate adapter is giving some trouble because of ist thickness, tried 10 minutes to place it and then gace up because all other nodes got the attach.

And another thing that seems to only hit me, the planes with OPT parts are moving to left or right side right after takeoff, I do everything in symmetry, and the way it happens seems to be that only one engine gets calculated but only in the air.

I had the same problem with the compressors in 1.49. Is thre anyone experiencing something similar?

I'm not experiencing that (using FAR) -- are you using stock aero? Is it always the same side? Can you post a picture of your craft?

>The K plate adapter is giving some trouble because of ist thickness, tried 10 minutes to place it and then gace up because all other nodes got the attach.

This works for me, but it's a bit fiddly -- don't think anything can really be done about that.

Edited by Bakase

I'm not experiencing that (using FAR) -- are you using stock aero? Is it always the same side? Can you post a picture of your craft?

>The K plate adapter is giving some trouble because of ist thickness, tried 10 minutes to place it and then gace up because all other nodes got the attach.

This works for me, but it's a bit fiddly -- don't think anything can really be done about that.

Nope I'm using FAR, hmm during my few testflights it always dents to the right side, maybe because i attach the engines always on the leftside in symmetrymode.... :(

Pic takes a moment.

Thicker part would help with the fiddling of the adapter, batterys are the same problem for, but since 0.9 it seems to be even less precise which node it snaps to.

EDIT:

3fQdDAx.png

Just doubled my tail wings for more yaw stability and that seems to solve it, strange, but did also a reload of the game.

Edited by Alewx

Hello, I am very new to Kerbal and just getting started in Career mode. I have a interest in SSTO's and found this mod and gave it a try I am not far enough along in the tech tree for it but I have looked at it in sand box mode. The SSTO I loaded up is the Atari MK3, problem is I cannot figure what the right order is for the engines to get it up into orbit. I know the whole 45 deg thing and all that but the engines part confuses me "auto switching, ram jet, turbo jet? Also the plane starts to flip backwards at a certain altitude. I have looked all over youtube for a tutorial on getting an OPT space plane into orbit (at least the OPT stock Atari plane) but have found none. I really would like to know how I work those engines to get into orbit and avoid burn outs and flip outs. Could somebody give me an assist? Please talk slow as if speaking to a child :confused:

My thought was that it might have been lack of vertical stabilisation... Oh well, if it's fixed now it's okay!

Well I still lack the skills for good spaceplane construction of flying. :D

Hello, I am very new to Kerbal and just getting started in Career mode. I have a interest in SSTO's and found this mod and gave it a try I am not far enough along in the tech tree for it but I have looked at it in sand box mode. The SSTO I loaded up is the Atari MK3, problem is I cannot figure what the right order is for the engines to get it up into orbit. I know the whole 45 deg thing and all that but the engines part confuses me "auto switching, ram jet, turbo jet? Also the plane starts to flip backwards at a certain altitude. I have looked all over youtube for a tutorial on getting an OPT space plane into orbit (at least the OPT stock Atari plane) but have found none. I really would like to know how I work those engines to get into orbit and avoid burn outs and flip outs. Could somebody give me an assist? Please talk slow as if speaking to a child :confused:

This hole 45 Degree stuff is just for rockets, and is totally false anyway. But it's easy enough to understand for a new player I guess.

Anyway: Spaceplanes are a different thing. You want to build up as much speed as possible while still in the Atmosphere. Climb up as fast as possible to a ceiling height(start experiment with around 15000m), there you level your flight and manitain a climb of around 10 degrees. You should gain a lot of speed during this phase but climb very slowly. As soon as you lose the Air to run jet engines (you should've reached minimum 1500m/s now) you switch to your rocket engine (-mode) to push up to a good apoapsis (75km) (if even needed), coast there and circularize your orbit.

For the AtariMk3: I don't tested it yet, I don't even know if it has a vacuum engine, and you'll need one for space. But the Turbo-Ram-Jet your speaking of is just a multi mode Jet Engine, and it switches automatic if it runs out of the one air and needs the other. So no need to do anything for a new player. Like the stock RAPIER engine, you know? Except that the rapier has a rocket mode which can be used in vaccuum.

For youtube just search for 'SSTO' , the general idea of how to fly is the same anywhere, just the precise execution matters on craft design.

For the Flipping: Two options: Either you have made a to large command input on your plane at high speed , causing it to stall. Or the Craft is poorly built and shifts its center of mass to far back while burning fuel, causing the craft to flip engines-first.

Edit: anyway, I don't know how new of new you are, but you already should be able to land on the mun (with a rocket) before attempting to build an SSTO. In Kerbal terms the moon landing is easier and gives you a lot of learning about orbital mechanics while doing it. THen you can build a spaceplane, or go interplanetary

Edit2: Test flown the Thing, and I can assure you it is more than capable of getting into orbit in stock. I flew it in 5xRSS and got 3600m/s at Apoapsis. try an Acent of 20 to 30 degrees once your over 15000m , and turn RCS on over 40000m cause you'll have less aero control. So very capable that craft. Although the reentry behaviour is a little 'backwards'...

Edit3: Tested with FAR of course. Use it in stock aero at your own risk...

Edited by SkyRex94

Amazing new parts, love the new K adapter, makes it more streamlined. Now I can build Craft like this new Prototype (Still in R&D phase, pictures from first flight):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

BUT: A bug: None of your Landing gear has working brakes, or working motors. Lead to a hairy landing and nearly a RUD on first flight. Came to final stop with some Nose-Litho-Braking...

And I think the ARIE is a little overpowered with jumping to 3000s ISP. Sadly the stock engine module doesn't allow ISP and Thrust made related to Atmo AND Velocity.Than you could make a proper Ramrocket. Maybe its possible with AJE but I don't really understand the AJE engine configs....

And the Dark Engine...yeah...meh...cheaty.....but it looks cool though

Edited by SkyRex94

Amazing new parts, love the new K adapter, makes it more streamlined. Now I can build Craft like this new Prototype (Still in R&D phase, pictures from first flight):

http://imgur.com/a/O47uI

BUT: A bug: None of your Landing gear has working brakes, or working motors. Lead to a hairy landing and nearly a RUD on first flight. Came to final stop with some Nose-Litho-Braking...

And I think the ARIE is a little overpowered with jumping to 3000s ISP. Sadly the stock engine module doesn't allow ISP and Thrust made related to Atmo AND Velocity.Than you could make a proper Ramrocket. Maybe its possible with AJE but I don't really understand the AJE engine configs....

Have to ask. What are the green lines in the screenshots? That's happened to me as well, usually during harsh loads/crashes near the ground, and I can only get rid of them when restarting the game. Is it from the Kopernicus mod, or something similar?

Have to ask. What are the green lines in the screenshots? That's happened to me as well, usually during harsh loads/crashes near the ground, and I can only get rid of them when restarting the game. Is it from the Kopernicus mod, or something similar?

Not sure yet: Could be from RSS, Kopernicus or a bug in Squads ground scatter module. was the first time happening to me. If you have it: Have you RSS installed? If not that would rule out one possibility

Not sure yet: Could be from RSS, Kopernicus or a bug in Squads ground scatter module. was the first time happening to me. If you have it: Have you RSS installed? If not that would rule out one possibility

No RSS installed. But I did have Outer Planets mod installed when it happened...which has kopernicus and kittopia tech...I think. Removed the OPM mod a while back, and has not happened since. But I haven't flown any flights close to the ground, where it seems to occur. My guess is kittopia or kopernicus though, as those are the only mods I had that made terrain changes. So many mods installed at the moment it's hard to say.

Sorry for going off topic. This is an excellent part mod K.Yeon. Thank you for creating it.

It is from Kopernicus. Can turn it off with some keypress combination, but I can't remember what. x-x I don't use the mod, just saw someone with the same problems a while ago and they got answered.

http://imgur.com/a/O47uI

I think it makes sense for engines to be a little OP, as top-of-the-tech-tree futuristic affairs... That said, right now I can slap two ARIEs on an SSTO and point straight up to space, which might be a little over the top.

The Dark Engine is known to be overpowered -- see the OP. If you mess around with the configs and find a more balanced solution, I'm sure that would be very welcome.