[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

K.Yeon, the Valkyrie inspired my ship from the previous page too :) it's a really beautiful ship that actually looks like it can enter an atmosphere at high speeds with no issues.

You'll have an engineering problem however as far as the VTOL engines are concerned, and also the front part of the ship will require engines to keep it upright.

Gah I really should stop playing KSP and get into moddelling :P

I've made stuff like this 1 2 3 a year ago. Maybe you could help me get started :) I've made a set of landing legs I mean to complete first though.

Do you plan on adding airbrakes? I feel they're really missing from the stock game and would help a lot during landing (especially with FAR, where almost every landing attempt ends up with me crashing into the runway at 200 m/s.

use parachutes :D what can go wrong with parachutes? Otherwise i recommend B9's pack

Gah I really should stop playing KSP and get into moddelling :P

I've made stuff like this 1 2 3 a year ago. Maybe you could help me get started :) I've made a set of landing legs I mean to complete first though.

You should! with your skill, making parts should be more than enough xD before i met ksp i use to model stuff like those as well! fighter,drone. I think we have similar taste in aircraft designs hahaha

after im done with next update i might do a video tutorial on how i make my parts! is actually pretty simple, each part takes me about an hour to create including texture, is just concepting takes more time. I think more people should start aircraft parts pack, id love to see more designs and have more choices on styles when playing ksp

I am loving your parts! The new K cockpit looks fantastic, reminds me of the big dropship from Avatar!

As far as the new Dark Drive and your comments about removing it from career mode unless there is a good tech tree for it I would highly suggest considering the Community Tech Tree. It leaves the stock tree alone and expands it into a number of different branches including some very late game expensive tech nodes geared toward high energy physics, antimatter and warp drive technology. The NFT and USI mods use these and put their kind of cheaty drives in those late nodes, also there are configs for KSP-I that put the high end drives down there too. I think the Dark Drive would fit right in with these, maybe with a few tweaks.

Cheers

With the new update I have a couple of questions... the ARIE engine doesn't seem to be air-breathing *at all* anymore...? And the turboramjet fuselage+engine part doesn't seem to have any way to get the "supercompressed air" resource that it needs.. am I missing something here? The compressors are gone, so... I don't see how to use these 2 engines anymore? I'm also still kind of missing the K cargo tail, I liked having a way to deploy rovers :)

With the new update I have a couple of questions... the ARIE engine doesn't seem to be air-breathing *at all* anymore...? And the turboramjet fuselage+engine part doesn't seem to have any way to get the "supercompressed air" resource that it needs.. am I missing something here? The compressors are gone, so... I don't see how to use these 2 engines anymore? I'm also still kind of missing the K cargo tail, I liked having a way to deploy rovers :)

Yup you sure do, the ARIE is indeed not air-breathing anymore and always consumes oxidizer instead. Try placing the OPT Ramairintakes on the Turboramjets. That will solve your problem. Also note that SCA will first be generated around 8000 - 9000m high.

Edited by Flashblade

Awesome job on the parts, but the turboramjet engines have a habit of... exploding.

At about 22,000 meters, they switch to ramjet mode and pretty much immediately overheat and blow up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe...throttling back a little?!

Awesome job on the parts, but the turboramjet engines have a habit of... exploding.

At about 22,000 meters, they switch to ramjet mode and pretty much immediately overheat and blow up.

Anyone have any ideas?

First of all I wouldn't have the Turboramjets switch automatically at all. Do it by hand when the Turbomode is noticably loosing power around Mach 3 and SCA has been generated around 11000m and yes with the heat generation as it is now, do not throttle up to 100%.

First of all I wouldn't have the Turboramjets switch automatically at all. Do it by hand when the Turbomode is noticably loosing power around Mach 3 and SCA has been generated around 11000m and yes with the heat generation as it is now, do not throttle up to 100%.

Okay, I'm sorry for butting in, but I have to comment on this!

So, if the engines immediately explode if run at 100% throttle, then WHY DOES THE THROTTLE GO THAT HIGH?!? That makes no sense! What manufacturer of anything, anywhere, would create something that has a setting that is GUARANTEED to destroy itself?!? No, I don't buy that.

Engines 'in real life' are always tested to extremes, and the resulting rating for 'full throttle' is always going to be well below the true limits of what the engine can really handle.

No, if these engines are that sensitive, then there's something wrong with the configuration settings that needs to be addressed. In other words, this isn't 'operator error' as you seem to be implying, this is a flat-out manufacturing flaw, a defective product that should be fixed by the factory, if you will. :)

Anyway, my two cents. Later, gentlemen. :)

Okay, I'm sorry for butting in, but I have to comment on this!

So, if the engines immediately explode if run at 100% throttle, then WHY DOES THE THROTTLE GO THAT HIGH?!? That makes no sense! What manufacturer of anything, anywhere, would create something that has a setting that is GUARANTEED to destroy itself?!? No, I don't buy that.

Engines 'in real life' are always tested to extremes, and the resulting rating for 'full throttle' is always going to be well below the true limits of what the engine can really handle.

No, if these engines are that sensitive, then there's something wrong with the configuration settings that needs to be addressed. In other words, this isn't 'operator error' as you seem to be implying, this is a flat-out manufacturing flaw, a defective product that should be fixed by the factory, if you will. :)

Anyway, my two cents. Later, gentlemen. :)

Wooo wooo stay cool man, you are right of course and that is why I reduced the heat generation on the trjs to something reasonable in my game, because I had the same thing happen and I was wondering if I had accidentally strapped bombs to my plane instead of engines. :D That being said it is some what of a Kerbal thing to have engines you have to keep an eye on or they go boom baby :sticktongue:

Edited by Flashblade

If I can only use ~40% power, because that's how far I had to throttle down to avoid instant boom, that does somewhat defeat the purpose, no?

And yeah, automatic switching isn't going to work real well, since the half second between the switch and the explosion isn't enough for the throttle to go down enough.

Although if this is an issue other people are having, that at least means it's likely not some arcane mod conflict, so that's good.

At least with a guaranteed "boom level" you never have to worry about how you're going to initiate a self-destruct system without having to build the required system first. You just never know when blowing your crew up could prove handy.

Hey K.Yeon you really need to advertise your stuff. I am probably the first person who has noticed that you put out a gorgeous trailer for the 1.6 release somewhat in the style of a Star Citizen commercial. Just make a post and tell people that it is there. Can't wait for that release it looks really awesome :D

BTW I never gave you feedback on your suggestion how to fix the nodes. I tried your suggested value but a very small gap still remains (note using KJR here). I guess the remaining nodes to be strengthened as well.