[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

K.Yeon, I really like the mod, great work! However, the example planes in the download do not fly for very long (about 2min on full throttle). Also, they seem to struggle getting off the runway and end up going into the ocean. Is this a problem with the planes or could it be a problem with my KSP installation or another problem on my end?

I am using stock aero btw, KSP 0.90 32 bit on W8.1 64bit

Edited by Whizzkid

Another 2 suggestions K.Yeon, I swear we are overloading you now, a drop bay and a bay with underside doors for those of us who use bdarmory

The J cargo bay opens from the top and bottom. Also, I'm pretty sure the K cargo bay is vertically symmetric (like the Mk.2 cargo bays), so you can just rotate that upside down to get underside opening. The J comfortably fits JUST under 2.5m height items (the bay itself is 2.5 meters tall, so there's clipping if you mount any 2.5m diameter items.; looks to be meant for non-stock 1.875m parts/designs in height) and is about 5m wide. The K can fit 2.5m height items without clipping and looks to be about 6m or so wide (maybe enough to fit 2x 3.75m actually).

I don't use bdarmory, so not sure what you can fit in those.

EDIT:

I'm going through the mod and trying parts out for various designs. The J.S adapter looks interesting, so I intended to use it on a design to see what I could do with it. However, it can't seem to do what the part description says. I can only attach it and other parts to the greed nodes. Surface attachment doesn't work for it at all. From the description, it seemed like the JS adapter would surface-mount onto a 2.5m part (by default) and let you attach 1.25m parts on the nodes. Thinking about this some, I think the part is meant more as cowling surrounding a 2.5m part attached to a J-series fuselage. If not, I think it's missing a node_attach line in the cfg (I took a peek and compared it to other cfg's).

Second, the Mk.2 ramjet: I made an SSTO using it 2 of them (since if flown right with NEAR installed you can get into a high sub-orbital trajectory with them alone.) I thought I was having stability issues inherent to my designs (flat spins) when I noticed the ramjets don't scale down thrust in-sync with one another when they start to run out of Super-Compressed Air (SCA). My design is solidly stable and symmetric until this point (around ~30k alt with ~1800m/s velocity - dual ramjet intakes as well). Once I hit that point or so, I start yawing to the right due to unbalanced thrust. I think I faced a similar issue with the Dark Goo engines when I tried those out for fun. Is this inherent to the game where it favors one engine over another with running on limited resources? I know if you yaw you can cause flame outs from suffocating an engine, but my design is very straight. Also, even if I have the right engine dominate (by yawing a bit left), I can't recover thrust balance. The left-side engine will always produce more thrust than the right-side one.

Any advice?

Edited by StahnAileron
Adding content without double-posting

The J cargo bay opens from the top and bottom. Also, I'm pretty sure the K cargo bay is vertically symmetric (like the Mk.2 cargo bays), so you can just rotate that upside down to get underside opening. The J comfortably fits JUST under 2.5m height items (the bay itself is 2.5 meters tall, so there's clipping if you mount any 2.5m diameter items.; looks to be meant for non-stock 1.875m parts/designs in height) and is about 5m wide. The K can fit 2.5m height items without clipping and looks to be about 6m or so wide (maybe enough to fit 2x 3.75m actually).

I don't use bdarmory, so not sure what you can fit in those.

EDIT:

I'm going through the mod and trying parts out for various designs. The J.S adapter looks interesting, so I intended to use it on a design to see what I could do with it. However, it can't seem to do what the part description says. I can only attach it and other parts to the greed nodes. Surface attachment doesn't work for it at all. From the description, it seemed like the JS adapter would surface-mount onto a 2.5m part (by default) and let you attach 1.25m parts on the nodes. Thinking about this some, I think the part is meant more as cowling surrounding a 2.5m part attached to a J-series fuselage. If not, I think it's missing a node_attach line in the cfg (I took a peek and compared it to other cfg's).

Second, the Mk.2 ramjet: I made an SSTO using it 2 of them (since if flown right with NEAR installed you can get into a high sub-orbital trajectory with them alone.) I thought I was having stability issues inherent to my designs (flat spins) when I noticed the ramjets don't scale down thrust in-sync with one another when they start to run out of Super-Compressed Air (SCA). My design is solidly stable and symmetric until this point (around ~30k alt with ~1800m/s velocity - dual ramjet intakes as well). Once I hit that point or so, I start yawing to the right due to unbalanced thrust. I think I faced a similar issue with the Dark Goo engines when I tried those out for fun. Is this inherent to the game where it favors one engine over another with running on limited resources? I know if you yaw you can cause flame outs from suffocating an engine, but my design is very straight. Also, even if I have the right engine dominate (by yawing a bit left), I can't recover thrust balance. The left-side engine will always produce more thrust than the right-side one.

Any advice?

So the asymmetric flameout, that's an issue with Stock KSP -- it assigns intakes to engines based on the order they're attached in. There's a mod to fix that somewhere around -- it's called intake build aid or something.

The problem you're having with the JS adapter is probably my fault, since I wrote the description for that part... It's designed to fit against a 2.5m fuselage when used with the relevant adapter.

Ah, okay. So that is inherent to KSP itself. I'll have to hunt down that fix you mentioned.

As for the JS adapter: How is it supposed to be used? Does it have a counterpart it's supposed to be paired with. It only has attachment nodes on the 1.25m section. I figured there was a third, surface-attach point for fitting against 2.5m parts, but there isn't. Am I missing/overlooking something? Judging from what you said, it sounds like it being a "cowling/cover" type part is correct. (Now that I think about it, is the other adapter you mentioned the J to 2x 1.25m + 4x 1.25m/1x 2.5m adapter? It's the only one I can think of.)

Ah, okay. So that is inherent to KSP itself. I'll have to hunt down that fix you mentioned.

As for the JS adapter: How is it supposed to be used? Does it have a counterpart it's supposed to be paired with. It only has attachment nodes on the 1.25m section. I figured there was a third, surface-attach point for fitting against 2.5m parts, but there isn't. Am I missing/overlooking something? Judging from what you said, it sounds like it being a "cowling/cover" type part is correct. (Now that I think about it, is the other adapter you mentioned the J to 2x 1.25m + 4x 1.25m/1x 2.5m adapter? It's the only one I can think of.)

Not quite sure what you're getting at, but here's an example use.

bifdya.PNG

Hope that clears things up.

Not quite sure what you're getting at, but here's an example use.

http://a.pomf.se/bifdya.PNG

Hope that clears things up.

Yes, that does. The description is a bit misleading then. My initial interpretation of it had me thinking you could use the JS as a radial attachment to a 2.5m part so you can attach 1.25m part neatly and cleanly or for 1.25m parts that MUST connect axially rather than surface mounting radially. I think Near Future Construction was a mod that had something I was thinking of when I read the JS's description. Oh well. Thanks for the clarification. ^_^

Hey guys, sorry for not checking in much, ive been really busy with life..... But dont worry it wont be abandoned haha, just might take a while!

I have read all of your comments and combined the suggestions with a previous planned list. im glad to see so many suggestions!

Anyway hopefully this list answers many questions

1.6.9: (Mid april)

-IVAs (6 in total)

-k cargo ramp

-proper support for CLS, DRE, tweakscale wings and FX-collision landing gear fix

-Experimental Jet VTOL Engines (i want to make it so it does not require action group, tilt is controlled by top 10% of the throttle; yet to be proven to work)

1.7 (July)

-k tricoupler (3x 2.5m adaptor);

-k bicoupler (2x mk3 adaptor)

-k 2m service module (reaction wheel, fuel, electricity)

-k crew tank

-k hollow structural fuselage (cargo without doors)

-j Bicoupler

-j mk3 adaptor

-j service module

-J 8m fuel tank

-J 8m cargobay

-J 2m fuel tank

- All-moving wings/fins

- more wing types

1.8: December

-2 radial attached cockpit (bridged ver, Pod ver with escape racks)

-more wing types if needed

-Engine Gimballing and redo engine FX using sarbian's SmokeScreen plugin

1.9:

-VTOL engine Finalized (large shrouded propeller ver, Jet ver)

-MultipurposeStructuralFuselage (n?) system (triangluar parts that will make J parts look rectangular if attached to it's angled surfaces, ideal platform for wings and landing gears; also good for medium sized drones)

2.0 (before March next year)

-Fix bugs?

+ release

I have a short break around mid April, which i should be able to finish 1.6.9. Everything else would have to wait till later this year.

Ofcourse this list is not fixed, more suggestions are always welcome!

And a while ago i suddenly had a urge to make a mk2 cockpit (because the stock mk2 cockpit is just slightly difference texture). well HERE IT IS! as a thanks for the supports! hope everyone likes it (sadly iva also comming soon.... im bad with ivas :P and making new styled props for RPM is abit time consuming)

Great stuff! Looks amazing.

K.Yeon, would be cool to see a slightly smaller K-fuselage for maybe not so bulky planes.

Isn't that what the J fuselage is for though? K is for massive flat-bodied blended-wing and/or lifting-body aircraft. J is for... slightly less massive planes of the same general type. :)

And maybe make the wings so that you can use them without FAR.

Aircraft without FAR? Madness. ;)

No like from the cockpit only to the J-parts

You take the J to K part and just flip it around, no? Or do you mean another TYPE of J-K adapter, like offset up/down? (Current one is centered, correct?)

EDIT: Wait... So you want a direct K-cockpit to J-body? That, we don't have yet. (Took me a moment to fully parse your statement...)

So, I just figured out how to properly use the turboramjet, it is absolutely glorious.

Though we need a radial mount turboram intake, that way you can use the engine as the main body.

Or a 1.25m turboramjet and intake would do, especially so for light SSTOs.

But seriously, combined with Porkjet's nuclear engines, the turboramjet is god tier

I think, honestly, the K-cockpit could do with a different designation. Its cross section is decidedly not K, although it only has an adapter to K hulls. Adding an adapter from that cockpit to J hull is definitely a good idea, I think.

I'd also like a 'smooth' K-to-J adapter, i.e. without the Mk.2 attachments on the side. And potentially another one with intakes integrated?

I think, honestly, the K-cockpit could do with a different designation

It would do well as an L size cockpit, L being a shockingly massive Blended Wing Body unit with built in ram intakes for six turboramjets

K.Yeon, would be cool to see a slightly smaller K-fuselage for maybe not so bulky planes.

And maybe make the wings so that you can use them without FAR.

Thanks

Its unlikely i will modify the K parts, as they are designed to be bulky so it can compete with the famous MK4 system hahaha:P

And ill see what i can do for non-Far users once 1.0 comes out!

I think, honestly, the K-cockpit could do with a different designation. Its cross section is decidedly not K, although it only has an adapter to K hulls. Adding an adapter from that cockpit to J hull is definitely a good idea, I think.

I'd also like a 'smooth' K-to-J adapter, i.e. without the Mk.2 attachments on the side. And potentially another one with intakes integrated?

Im experimenting on a new k cockpit, kind of like the J cockpit, very flat but with the crews sitting in a control-tower-like circular bridge above the main body. Ill be following that up with some pictures later on.

No like from the cockpit only to the J-parts

I wont be making that as the shapes are too different, even if i make it fit it will still look strange i guess.

It would do well as an L size cockpit, L being a shockingly massive Blended Wing Body unit with built in ram intakes for six turboramjets

ill probably leave that for other modders :P I hope someone will model it after the Boeing BWB aircraft!

I have finally finish the tail cargo part, except i havent find a way to make the ramp work. I wish to make it so people can manually control the ramp's height (i.e. if press and hold a deploy button, the ramp will follow the deploy animation until the animation ended or player let go of the key), so players can decide how high or how low the ramp will be.

Does anyone know if such a plugin has already been made? I have looked at InfernoRobotics and Firespitters so far but doesn't really fit the descriptions. the B9 and Mk4 cargo tail are just using single animations which doesnt allow adjustments... If no such convenient plugin exist i might have to figure something out :(

And also does anyone know how to take down the poll from a thread? i can't find that option anywhere... i think i set the poll option to be 'forever' :C