[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

Just a request - please test this mod with the new FAR since it changes transonic drag modeling pretty drastically from previous versions and also pretty drastically compared to stock aero. Area Ruling. It's a thing now, and it makes breaking the sound barrier actually kind of hard, like in RL. If you like I'm happy to test it and report what I find with it.

Does this mod work with 1.0.2?
You'll need to hit ALT F12 to bring up the Debug menu and check the

"Non-strict part attachment orientation check" box to get connection nodes to work right, you should also get the latest ModuleManager and Firespitter dlls because the ones packaged with this mod are way out of date.

You'll need to hit ALT F12 to bring up the Debug menu and check the

"Non-strict part attachment orientation check" box to get connection nodes to work right, you should also get the latest ModuleManager and Firespitter dlls because the ones packaged with this mod are way out of date.

Alright, thanks, I was wandering why most of the parts apart from two engines didn't show in the part list

EDIT: Installation doesn't work, I updated the Firespitter and ModuleManager DLLs and it didn't work

Edited by Jumpyyoza

Alright, thanks, I was wandering why most of the parts apart from two engines didn't show in the part list

EDIT: Installation doesn't work, I updated the Firespitter and ModuleManager DLLs and it didn't work

That's very strange since it's working for me. Make sure that you merged OPTs Gamedata folder with the exiting Gamedata folder, if you just unzip into the Gamedata folder, things probably won't work. If you look in Kerbals Gamedata folder you should be seeing Opt, Firespitter and Squad folders as well as the Modulemanager.dll. Also if you have update the Firespitter and Modulemanager dlls make sure to get rid of the old ones.

As has already been said, if you are like me and you need your OPT fix you can have it. To install all that has to be done is to replace the firespitter.dll with the current one and you are set. Even the OPT plugin works without a problem generating super compressed air like it did in 0.90 something i did not expect would be the case. To build planes with the parts press ALT + F12 and check the non strict placement box at the bottom of the list and you are set there. As for how this mod works with NuFAR, since the OPT parts always had a great aerodynamic shape everything works beautifully. I was able to get every OPT stock plane it to orbit fairly easily, except the K cockpit one which is very very YAW unstable and I was in danger of loosing that one all the time. The engines are so hilariously overpowered at this point that you can power into orbit on two ramjets alone. They will get you to Mach 6 in no time flat in ramjet mode and it will basically burn very little fuel. I also tried reentry with the k cockpit plane and oh boy there might be work necessary. On reentry the plane was rolling right and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It stopped by itself once the plane reached an altitude of about 12000m. In addition the ramjet intakes should have burned up but didn't which again is to be expected.

@ss8913 I do not really see what you expect K.Yeon to do here. The parts already have great aerodynamic shapes to begin with and area ruling to reach Mach 1 easily is your job as you are the plane designer. Are you asking K.Yeon to create some procedural generated parts so that varied shapes can help with area ruling?

Just a request - please test this mod with the new FAR since it changes transonic drag modeling pretty drastically from previous versions and also pretty drastically compared to stock aero. Area Ruling. It's a thing now, and it makes breaking the sound barrier actually kind of hard, like in RL. If you like I'm happy to test it and report what I find with it.

It doesn't change anything important, as far as this mod is concerned. The way the NuFAR works is that if a part looks like it should work, it will -- I don't know what you're expecting to find.

OPTs parts are designed to fit together into seamless aerodynamic shapes which should do quite well with NuFARs voxel shape mapping for the fuselage sections.

Edited by M_Ouellette

K.Yeon, one of KSP's new features is a sort-by-cross-section, and Filter Extensions lets us create new subcategories for it. When you update your parts, add a "bulkheadProfiles = whatever" line to the configs (maybe opt_j and opt_k for fuselages, and of course adapters can have multiple comma-separated values, and "srf" for surface-attached parts), and I'll add J and K categories to the config.

Summary of 1.6.9:

- Turboramjet have only 1 mode now for the moment (previously built craft need reassemble the turboramjet in SPH to work i think)

- Darkdrive is very efficient now and ARIE is less efficient

- Added K, JSL, ILS cockpit IVAs while others remain WIP

- remodeled wings, the Wing-A has 300 LFuel

- changed the connection face textures (because the old one look horrible i think)

- Most parts have more Lift than before

- the Js adapter will be deleted, its now integrated with the ij adaptor

Problems i know exist:

- Cargobay does not have dragcubes, so they could have weird drags

- K-CargoTail does not have option to deploy ramp, currently it does nothing

- K cargobay can cause things to explode for no reason

- May not work with FAR (i havent test with FAR)

- textures are not in DDS format ( i tested with OPT load time increase by about 40 seconds )

TBH there are so much more stuff i wanted to add and fix ,, sorry if this update is buggy .. Im still not understand how to make custom dragcubes or how the new jet parameters work...

Ill fix up a better and more stable update after my exams haha be back in a month :P

Summary of 1.6.9:

- Turboramjet have only 1 mode now for the moment (previously built craft need reassemble the turboramjet in SPH to work i think)

- changed the connection face textures (because the old one look horrible i think)

Problems i know exist:

- textures are not in DDS format ( i tested with OPT load time increase by about 40 seconds )

TBH there are so much more stuff i wanted to add and fix ,, sorry if this update is buggy .. Im still not understand how to make custom dragcubes or how the new jet parameters work...

Ill fix up a better and more stable update after my exams haha be back in a month :P

Thanks for the update! I'll get to playing with it, and see how it works with FAR.

Found a bug. Turbojet engines have no action group activation option. Shows up as engines but appear nonfunctional

Edit: they work but no activate engine option for action group.

Edit 2: must have been an interim issue, works after restart.

Edited by stali79

Summary of 1.6.9:

Problems i know exist:

That's cool, but will there be a RPM support?

If you have any older versions of opt you MAY be able to find the rpm lines in the configs to give the current ivas rpm capability, but i dont know if it will work as these are new.

I planned to make some custom RPM props in future, but they won't be ready anytime soon.. so try these: http://www./download/s2n77zf7ic97f4f/OPT169RPM.zip But you have to download RPM from RPM'sPage first

it adds is the MFDs and HUDs hope it helps!

WE8F6x4.png

Edited by K.Yeon

Summary of 1.6.9:

Problems i know exist:

Sweet Jebus, yes. PRAISE BE TO THE KRAKEN

Also, the turboramjet should be made into a trimodal engine system sort of like this:

Turbofan mode takes you from runway to 15km and Mach 1.5

Ramjet mode takes you to 25km and Mach 3

Scramjet mode takes you to 45km and Mach 6

Was there meant to be 'holes' in the new cargo ramp? They are cutouts instead of a solid ramp.

EDIT: Screenshots added. Also are you able to release .dds textures, I know you said that it increased your load time but .dds seems to reduce my ram footprint.

x0VYVeG.png

0ycHH2G.png

Edited by stali79

Summary of 1.6.9:

-Snip-

BH there are so much more stuff i wanted to add and fix ,, sorry if this update is buggy .. Im still not understand how to make custom dragcubes or how the new jet parameters work...

It's okay, dude, the important thing is that you're continuously trying to improve, and I must say you're doing a fantastic job so far! :wink: We'll cope. Thanks very much for the update.

Oh, and for stali79, I believe that those are intended to be windows. :)

Thank you for the update.

My little contribution, textures converted to DDS format.

Link to Google Drive - Only for next 48h.

>>> Remember to remove the old textures, they have the same names as those converted to a DDS format. <<<

@ K.Yeon

Please use them in the next update, if you want to.

Edited by InsanePlumber

Great work, thank you! One item for your list when you have a moment--the new 1.0 science lab has a data processing module that isn't in your lab yet. Here's the module from the Squad .cfg:

MODULE

{

name = ModuleScienceConverter

scientistBonus = 0.25 //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x

researchTime = 7 //Larger = slower. Exponential!

scienceMultiplier = 5 //How much science does data turn into?

scienceCap = 500 //How much science can we store before having to transmit?

powerRequirement = 5 //EC/Sec to research

ConverterName = Research

StartActionName = Start Research

StopActionName = Stop Research

}

I'm afraid to report HUGE problems with NuFAR -- some of the parts have effectively 0 cross-sectional area. This suggests that there are holes in the meshes.

edit: some more playing around suggest that this may be a problem with FAR itself. Huh.