[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

I just downloaded these and wow, this is great work! I love the designs!

Wow thanks!! Ill definitely use it in future. it almost make OPT loading time non-existent. May i ask what did you use to convert? or just simply rename the png to dds

My 2 cents if you'd like an opinion...If you're already using Photoshop I'd definitely use the Nvidia texture tools (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop) for DDS conversion rather than DDS4KSP. DDS4KSP was great for players to batch-convert textures easily that had no access to other programs, but in my own experiments I've found issues using it on my own files. I've had issues with compression artifacts and mismatched colors between textures (even from high quality, uncompressed PNG files.) The Nvidia tool will take a little bit longer to export each texture out, but will give you much finer control over the end result, and higher quality final image.

Is anyone else noticing problems with the science bays? I just reinstalled KSP from fresh, installed OPT 1.6.9 as the only mod, and when I add an OPT J science bay in the VAB, I can't right-click the science bay, and I then also can't right-click any of the other parts of the vessel. This happens both in sandbox and career. The same problem occurs after I launch, EXCEPT if I copy the old OPT science bay (from Gamedata/OPT/Parts/J_4m_ science) into gamedata, in which case the new J science bay works perfectly in game. The trouble is I then have two J science bays in the VAB. Anyone...? Bueller...?

Does anyone have these DDS textures, since the link is no longer functioning?
K.Yeon, Do you know when to add the folding animation for the bay door?

Ill make a small update soon (before sunday?) mostly updating the textures to dds that InsanePlumber provided. Ofcourse and some small bug fixes

As for the Cargo ramps it will have to wait for the next big update ( maybe around early july ) Because i plan to redo the K parts to something more realistic and useful.

---

Also, I'm not sure but I think I may have hit a bug the J adapter plate. Seems the nodes are backwards or recessed on it. I tried to place a senior docking port onto it only to find it on the back side of the plate rather than the side with all the connection nodes. Luckily the offset and rotation options have helped with it for now. Another one that might need to be looked at seems to be the K cargobay. I know there are some issues with it from what I've read but my question is: Is it supposed to rattle itself to the point of the aircraft falling apart on the runway? I've tried strutting it and no success.

Anyway great mod. Has become one of my instant favorites.

Im afraid fixing these will also have to wait till V1.7... The adaptor plates will be remodelled because they are too thin at the moment.

Obviously, I should have read your part configs more closely, since you already have your bulkheads sorted under "j" and "k" (and "i", which would more conventionally be called "size2"). However, for the next release, it would also help to indicate the other bulkhead profiles -- e.g. mk2 in a J-to-Mk2 adapter. Thanks!

I saw your post about the side profiles and i think they are great! Very useful thanks for making them!

edit: In case you dont know that adjustable landing gears updated and now have some very awsome looking large landing gears that goes well with OPT!

pJ3LlgS.png

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99660-1-0-Adjustable-Landing-Gear-v1-1-1-%28FAR-steering-fixes-DDS%29-May-6

Edited by K.Yeon

So I did search the thread and didn't find anything relevant - K cargo bays. Trying to attach anything in there, it seems like the attachment points are reversed and I can't attach anything actually *inside* the cargo bay.. what am I doing wrong? Is there a .cfg fix I need to apply?

So I did search the thread and didn't find anything relevant - K cargo bays. Trying to attach anything in there, it seems like the attachment points are reversed and I can't attach anything actually *inside* the cargo bay.. what am I doing wrong? Is there a .cfg fix I need to apply?

IIRC you can fix this by checking "non strict part attachment" (something like that) in the alt. F12 debug menu.

I was wondering K.Yeon, you have some really nice retired parts, have you considered packing them into say a legacy pack or something like that we can have the option of getting?

Trying it out myself, there seem to be three attachment points. Two of them point outward, as expected (for linking the ends of the bay to the rest of the vehicle). There should be a small one at the back end of the bay that points forward -- that's the anchor point for storing something inside.

K.Yeon:

I so love this mod:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I use the J-Experimental Cargo Bay a lot, and I think the following corrects the drag cubes for it:

DRAG_CUBE {

cube = A, 11.1875,0.4370629,0.87517, 11.1875,0.4370629,0.87517, 8.820808,0.8158172,0.4776478, 8.820808,0.8158172,0.4776478, 5.373057,0.3214514,2.091768, 5.373057,0.321452,2.091768, 0,0,0, 5.113532,4.000007,4.000006

cube = B, 10.0625,0.4666571,0.87517, 10.0625,0.4666571,0.87517, 8.820808,0.8184709,0.510589, 8.820808,0.8184709,0.510589, 20.51997,0.2769492,2.091768, 20.51997,0.2769493,2.091768, 0,0,0, 5.113532,4.000007,4.000006

}

Just insert that into the "J_dropbay.cfg" file. (According to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118362-Drag-cubes One is to replace the Y+ and Y- area values with those of a solid part. Since the J-Fuel Take 4m is precisely the same size as the cargo bay, I took those values and replaced them. Works for me until K. Yeon has the time for an update.)

i just noticed that the OPT Mk3 cockpit has a crash tolerance of 6m/s(or at least the tooltip says so), and the stock mk3 cockpit has acrash tolerance of 60m/s.

MinorInconvenience, do you use FAR as well? I'm trying to get these beautiful parts to play nice with FAR and I can't seem to do it.

First thing I tried to use these parts with was with FAR (because the new voxel procedure renders drag cubes for cargo bays unnecessary based upon my limited understanding). However, it appears that the OPT wings' control surfaces are not being read by FAR, so I had no control. Couldn't lift off.

I use the J-Experimental Cargo Bay a lot, and I think the following corrects the drag cubes for it:
DRAG_CUBE {

cube = A, 11.1875,0.4370629,0.87517, 11.1875,0.4370629,0.87517, 8.820808,0.8158172,0.4776478, 8.820808,0.8158172,0.4776478, 5.373057,0.3214514,2.091768, 5.373057,0.321452,2.091768, 0,0,0, 5.113532,4.000007,4.000006

cube = B, 10.0625,0.4666571,0.87517, 10.0625,0.4666571,0.87517, 8.820808,0.8184709,0.510589, 8.820808,0.8184709,0.510589, 20.51997,0.2769492,2.091768, 20.51997,0.2769493,2.091768, 0,0,0, 5.113532,4.000007,4.000006

}

Just insert that into the "J_dropbay.cfg" file. (According to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118362-Drag-cubes One is to replace the Y+ and Y- area values with those of a solid part. Since the J-Fuel Take 4m is precisely the same size as the cargo bay, I took those values and replaced them. Works for me until K. Yeon has the time for an update.)

Where exactly did you get those values? I've looked through the .cfg files for the corresponding parts but couldn't find anything like that. Also, is that possible for the K size cargo bay? I would assume so but I'm not sure.

Where exactly did you get those values? I've looked through the .cfg files for the corresponding parts but couldn't find anything like that. Also, is that possible for the K size cargo bay? I would assume so but I'm not sure.

I don't want to end up derailing this thread, but the auto-generated drag cubes for parts that do not have customized cubes in their specific *.cfg part file are found in "PartDatabase.cfg". Assuming there is a solid part the same size as a K cargo bay, I'd expect you could find the values.

As I understand it, it tells KSP "this part has the following drag properties", and MinorInconvenience uses the same drag properties as the fuel tank. The part itself is hollow, so KSP's usual method of sorting out drag properties by projecting various areas won't work very well. More information over here (look for NathanKell's post a bit of the way down the page).

As for FAR support... Wings work with it, partially. FAR can detect any surface as lifting, so the plane flies, but a little bit like brick out of catapult. The control surfaces have minimal effect. Would be nice to have proper FAR support, since there are just few wing parts, it won't be that difficult.

FAR makes planes mucm more enjoyable, once you learn how to build them. Personally, I'm graduating as aerospace engineer, so I understand all the flight dynamics terms very well.

Oh, and the mod really needs Valkyre-styled VTOL engines. After all, we already have Valkyre-style wings and fuselage. Not sure how to integrate them into modular wings and make user friendly at the same time tho.

I could try making FAR config, but I need to know precise dimensions of every wing. Root chord, tip chord, taper ratio etc. Measuring them in SPH is possible, but doing it n Blender is much easier.

Edited by sashan

May I ask what is the "true pump" option in the action groups for the scream jet?

must be from another mod

The cargo bay nodes are reverse, can anyone help?

try alt-f12 and check the non strict part attachment option, ill fix the nodes in future update

As for FAR support... Wings work with it, partially. FAR can detect any surface as lifting, so the plane flies, but a little bit like brick out of catapult. The control surfaces have minimal effect. Would be nice to have proper FAR support, since there are just few wing parts, it won't be that difficult.

FAR makes planes mucm more enjoyable, once you learn how to build them. Personally, I'm graduating as aerospace engineer, so I understand all the flight dynamics terms very well.

Oh, and the mod really needs Valkyre-styled VTOL engines. After all, we already have Valkyre-style wings and fuselage. Not sure how to integrate them into modular wings and make user friendly at the same time tho.

I could try making FAR config, but I need to know precise dimensions of every wing. Root chord, tip chord, taper ratio etc. Measuring them in SPH is possible, but doing it n Blender is much easier.

If you download v1.6, you can find the values for the chords and ratios in the wing configs... But the problem i named the control surface transform object "ControlSurface" instead of "obj_ctrlSrf" and im not sure if FAR module has the option like "transformName = ", maybe it only recognize obj_ctrlSrf... Anyway if you are using FAR i suggest use V1.6 wings for now

WIP: a new sleek j cockpit! and working on a few remodelling (edit: texture done!)

XcBghPg.png

Edited by K.Yeon

Is there a CLS cfg out there somewhere?

Awesome J-cockpit! Any plans for a "native" K cockpit?

Also, any chance you could improve the colliders on the cargo bays to prevent them from shaking apart when anything is placed within ~0.2m of the doors!?

Edited by curiousepic