[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

Scramjets need a combination of a nerf and a buff- your thrust numbers need to be halved, and it needs to start AirCombustion at around Mach 4.5... max thrust at roughly Mach 14, Mach 10 if you're conservative. And yeah, that's kind of OP. Scramjets are kind of OP in real life...

Scramjets need a combination of a nerf and a buff- your thrust numbers need to be halved, and it needs to start AirCombustion at around Mach 4.5... max thrust at roughly Mach 14, Mach 10 if you're conservative. And yeah, that's kind of OP. Scramjets are kind of OP in real life...

These originally were Turbo-Ramjets, proper dual mode ones I might add, unlike the stock ones, thus they are supposed to modeswitch at around Mach 1 and run up to about Mach 4.

Originally they went a bit faster than that, like somewhere around Mach 8 which was the unrealistic part.

Now since they're a big and unwieldy part, i propose they be trimodal.

1. Turbo, gets you to Mach 1.5 (alt, 0 to 15km)
  2. Ram, gets you from Mach 1.5 to Mach 3 (alt, 15km to 30km)
  3. Scram, gets you from Mach 3 to Mach 10 (alt, 30km to 45km)

For the life of me, I cannot get a spaceplane to re-enter the atmosphere without folding up like an accordion. I have not yet installed this mod, and I do not know if it solves the issue (and I don't have time to read through 68 pages). I am just curious if there is something I am missing, besides the heat resistant shuttle wings.

If the issue is aerodynamic failure the first question is if you're using FAR. Regardless it's probably because your entry profile is wrong or something is fundamentally flawed in your designs such that they fail under high dynamic pressure (mostly if its a "yes" to the FAR question)

In the first case come in shallower than you are. It doesn't take much, the drag will do the work for you. If you're coming back from a moon or extrakerbin planet try to aerocapture. You don't need to land in a hurry; get yourself a shallow periapsis around 30km or so and be patient. Aerobraking with literal airbrakes/high angles of attack is advisable at those altitudes, though usually difficult to maintain stably in denser air. You can bleed a lot of speed that way without much heat buildup and hold off your descent while you're at it, preventing further heat build up. If you're patient with it you should be able to avoid overstressing the airframe, though a well designed one, even in the case of very heavy spaceplanes, can be good for in excess if ten g's per my experimentation if applied somewhat gradually. If it's an airframe issue, it could be as simple as needing more struts. The more parts you square off to other parts the better you're going to do. I haven't found intentional flex very helpful in KSP. If not simple strutting it could be poor transonic design resulting in extreme drag when coming in fast (another FAR thing) in which case try to build more gradual curves. If its pretty, FAR will probably like it. Similarly loss of pitch control (FAR or otherwise) usually results in very high angles of attack and as such high instantaneous g-force. That would be due to poor center of lift/center of drag/center of pressure location vs center of mass, possibly the result of burnt fuel in space (only jets burn evenly in most cases). As long as your weight is forward your balance ought to be manageable.

For the life of me, I cannot get a spaceplane to re-enter the atmosphere without folding up like an accordion. I have not yet installed this mod, and I do not know if it solves the issue (and I don't have time to read through 68 pages). I am just curious if there is something I am missing, besides the heat resistant shuttle wings.

Are you diving through the atmosphere all the way in? What i usually do and this is even with behemoths is i will dive through the atmosphere and when thing get too hot i yank back and pitch the nose up thus presenting a wider surface area to rapidly slow down, now if this is when your wings fail doing this maneuver, then you likely need struts or a better design, remember you don't need huge wings to lift a huge space plane, my wings are about 25- 25% the total size of my massive space plane and she lands beautifully. Il post a link of a screen shot of them docked to my station, one, is my design, the other is a variant of the MK2 extension pack.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=462414212

Additionally, install Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, that thing is a beautiful thing.

Edited by Toyotawolf

When preparing for deorbit burn from 100km circular orbit, lower you periapsis to about 35km.

The key is to get below 1kms before you hit 30km, thus you want to bleed speed off high in the atmosphere on a shallow trajectory.

If you're using the 30km to 20 km atmosphere to slow you down, it's only gonna end in fire and tears.

I am not using FAR or any kind of aircraft mod. The only modded parts on the shuttle was the aft engine section, which was the lower engine mount for FASA's Saturn IV-B

As for shallow, I don't think I can come in any shallower. My de-orbit burn is executed just over the island in the center of the giant crater (on the opposite hemisphere), generally from a 150 km altitude. The touchdown point reaches out beyond the spaceport, where the larger island to the north is (longitude-wise) in the middle between the spaceport and the touchdown point. This puts my descent vector just past the mountains, with enough run-off space for a safe touchdown on the runway. It worked well (and was really the first time I had been able to make successful landings) in version 0.9

For a shallower re-entry, I would have to completely re-think my re-entry procedure and pick a whole new landmark. I REALLY don't want to have to turn around to make a landing from the ocean, or spend half an hour flying over the mountains from a distance.

My question is, are the mk3 cockpit and plane parts re-entry heat resistant? There is no ablator indicator on them, or the wings, and it was only when I tried to lift or turn the body at all during re-entry that I folded up. I just want assurance that it IS possible to build a stable orbiter, and have it touch down where I want.

Another option is to come in shallower, but put your nose almost straight up. Use your pitch to adjust how much drag and lift you generate, If you're coming in too high, pull the nose up and increase your drag. If you're coming in too low, pitch the nose down to decrease your drag and increase your lift. Alternatively, you can do s-turns to slow down as well.

As for rethinking your re-entry, well, it's obvious that it isn't working now, so what's the big deal? Part of the fun of KSP is trial and error.

I just want assurance that it IS possible to build a stable orbiter

Absolutely, I've done it.

and have it touch down where I want.

LOLZ, I haven't yet

The trajectories mod will help greatly, but it requires FAR

I'm not sure if the J Science Lab Module is fully implemented or not but each time i'm launched and i try to right click it nothing happens and then it kinda disables the ability to right click on anything else. I have to relaunch, reload to be able to right click on any other attached modules but as soon as i rightclick the science lab again it disables the ability all over the ship again.

Thoughts ?

I've noticed few problems on 1.02:

Cockpits IVAs are broken, calling out RasterPropMonitor initialization error.

J Cargo Bay doors does not shield from heating, most possibly error with drag cubes. Also it does not provide lift when closed, tested with FAR. Changing FAR to Garabedian, will check that one again.

K-Space Shuttle Cockpit holds 4 kerbals, but only 2 of them are avaible in flight to EVA/IVA, 2 of them are stuck inside and there is no way to get them out properly.

Don't know if intended or not, RCS nozzles on Mk2 Nosecone have 3-4* offset, and throw ship RCS balancer off.

Have I missed any quickfixes on those or am I special snowflake and nobody else is getting this?

Edited by juraleona

I'm not sure if the J Science Lab Module is fully implemented or not but each time i'm launched and i try to right click it nothing happens and then it kinda disables the ability to right click on anything else. I have to relaunch, reload to be able to right click on any other attached modules but as soon as i rightclick the science lab again it disables the ability all over the ship again.

Thoughts ?

I've noticed the same thing, for some reason right clicking on the science module breaks right clicking on anything else afterwards. The bug is present as early as when in the SPH or VAB, as soon as you right click on the Science module right clicking stops working.

Thoughts ?

I've seen this problem too, but not with this mod. The SciLab from the Mk2 Stockalike Expansion also causes the right click locking. It must be something to do with the SciLab module, I'm going to try testing out some different configs.

Thoughts ?

May i ask which link you downloaded from? because i didn't update the small patch for curseforge so try kerballstuff link see if it fixes it!

I've noticed few problems on 1.02:

Cockpits IVAs are broken, calling out RasterPropMonitor initialization error.

J Cargo Bay doors does not shield from heating, most possibly error with drag cubes. Also it does not provide lift when closed, tested with FAR. Changing FAR to Garabedian, will check that one again.

K-Space Shuttle Cockpit holds 4 kerbals, but only 2 of them are avaible in flight to EVA/IVA, 2 of them are stuck inside and there is no way to get them out properly.

Don't know if intended or not, RCS nozzles on Mk2 Nosecone have 3-4* offset, and throw ship RCS balancer off.

Have I missed any quickfixes on those or am I special snowflake and nobody else is getting this?

thx for the report, ill be fixing them, but for the k cockpit you can click on the hatch and see all the kerbals you can do EVA. and i dont think Mk2 nosecone is from this mod...

I been working on the k fuselages, they will be all hollow including the fueltank, so if you need more fuel you can simply stick a stock fueltank in there!

RoPpl08.png

There was also a few suggested a 'native' k cockpit, heres what i come up with: it does have a built in docking port

rOc0f1z.png

the next update will adds a few new parts but is mainly going to be balancing and bug fixes, i think ill need about two weeks to put up the next patch so yeah.. sorry the last patch was full of bug hahaha

May i ask which link you downloaded from? because i didn't update the small patch for curseforge so try kerballstuff link see if it fixes it!

thx for the report, ill be fixing them, but for the k cockpit you can click on the hatch and see all the kerbals you can do EVA. and i dont think Mk2 nosecone is from this mod...

I been working on the k fuselages, they will be all hollow including the fueltank, so if you need more fuel you can simply stick a stock fueltank in there!

http://i.imgur.com/RoPpl08.png

There was also a few suggested a 'native' k cockpit, heres what i come up with: it does have a built in docking port

http://i.imgur.com/rOc0f1z.png

the next update will adds a few new parts but is mainly going to be balancing and bug fixes, i think ill need about two weeks to put up the next patch so yeah.. sorry the last patch was full of bug hahaha

Holy smokes, that K module is magnificent, how many kerbals is it planned to hold?

K. Yeon - will you be adding the FAR wing configuration that someone posted here a while back, in the next official update? I was wondering why the wings seem to be almost nonfunctional with FAR, that seems to be the reason why... fortunately the (scaled) stock Big-S wings not only work well with OPT but even match the look, so not a HUGE issue, but I do like your wings as well and would like to be able to use them :)

Sorry for the confusion, it is from another Mk2 mod :)

K-Cockpit - I completly forgot about hatch menu, thanks for mentioning that!

K-Cargo/Fuel tank is a great idea.

What are your plans on 1.03 redesign of temperature system?

K. Yeon - will you be adding the FAR wing configuration that someone posted here a while back, in the next official update? I was wondering why the wings seem to be almost nonfunctional with FAR, that seems to be the reason why... fortunately the (scaled) stock Big-S wings not only work well with OPT but even match the look, so not a HUGE issue, but I do like your wings as well and would like to be able to use them :)

B9 procedural wings work great with those parts and are FAR-ready out of the box. To be honest I just deleted all other wing parts.

Holy smokes, that K module is magnificent, how many kerbals is it planned to hold?

With Nertea rebuilding his Mk4 pack to hold 3.75m parts in the cargo bays, do you plan to aim for that capability as well?

I only plan for 10 kerbals, 4 at front near windows and 6 at back. Because the back half of the cockpit is actually empty for cargo space.

And probably not, because im looking forward to use the new mk4 also! no point make a duplicate

What are your plans on 1.03 redesign of temperature system?

I didn't notice much change to the actual parts config in 1.04, the only difference seems to be stock parts doesnt have the thermalMassModifier anymore. I didn't find any documentation about them yet.

K. Yeon - will you be adding the FAR wing configuration that someone posted here a while back, in the next official update?

Yes, i plan to add the config files for FAR, RealFuel, MFT. If there are other mod i missed out just tell me ill add it, its pretty easily done thanks to module manager :D