[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

And probably not, because im looking forward to use the new mk4 also! no point make a duplicate

Fair enough, K parts allow things wider than 3.75m, so there's reason for one of each in the stable.

As for that big K cockpit, you should add some utility bays on it for for non cargo stuff like comms, power generation, science tools, or crudely constructed escape pods.

Edited by Nothalogh

With regards to FAR compatibility with the current wings. They mostly already are; one just needs to be sure to add to the patch a complete removal of the squad lifting surface stuff. The new parts look glorious K. Yeon.

K.Yeon:

I so love this mod:

http://imgur.com/a/siRNQ

I use the J-Experimental Cargo Bay a lot, and I think the following corrects the drag cubes for it:

Just insert that into the "J_dropbay.cfg" file. (According to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118362-Drag-cubes One is to replace the Y+ and Y- area values with those of a solid part. Since the J-Fuel Take 4m is precisely the same size as the cargo bay, I took those values and replaced them. Works for me until K. Yeon has the time for an update.)

Has that plane been made with B9, or with OPT, or mixed?

It looks so sweet :)

I encountered a question while trying to balance part's deflectionLiftCoeff for stock aerodynamics, from the data i collected for stock parts it seems the deflectionLiftCoeff = Area * 0.28 * the average angle value of the surface.

For example the Mk2_short fuselage top view has an area of 4.6875, if i use 4.6875 * 0.28 * 0.66 (i.e. 60degree/90degree) = 0.78, and the stock value is 0.35?. (i eye estimated Mk2 's side slope is about 60degrees)

Another example the bigS delta wing has area of 17.71, i use 17.71 * 0.28 * 1 (90degree/90degree) = 4.95, and the stock value is 5.

how does it works? is there a proper way of working it out?

I cant confirm the 0.28 because the mk3 doesnt even have a lifting surface, if i use 0.28 as this 'random coefficient' the mk3 long fuselage should have a lift rating of 2.6...

Edit: anyway the 0.28 works most stock wing parts, any idea where this came from?

Edited by K.Yeon

I was having the problem of no context menu when using the j sci lab. I edited the .mu file with a hex editor & changed "Default Take" to Default_Take" and changed this line "animationName = Default Take" to "animationName = Default_Take". That did not resolve the issue but I left the change in place. Then per http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69993-Science-Lab-Module-migration-problem I changed "containerModuleIndex = 0" to "containerModuleIndex = 1" Problem resolved. Just FWIW.

Alright Here we go: update 1.7!

Update OPT to 1.7 require deletion of previous version folder!Read Installation Guide included with the download carefully if you are not sure what to do.

There are a few parts that has been deleted from previous version, you can download the legacy pack to avoid break previous saves. more details in detailed update note.

Mod works by it self without other plugins! But Module Manager is still required and its bundled with the download (v2.6.6).

This mod supports FuelSwitch(firespitter), RealFuel, KM_gimbal and FAR.

Firespitter is no longer bundled with the download! If you don't have firespitter plugin installed already, i highly recommend download the plugin from here: http://snjo.github.io/.

Part Count: 30!

Simple Update Notes:

-2 new cockpits

-a new control surface (stabilizer type a)

-A advanced turboramjet replaced original turboramjet

-j and k adaptor plates are replaced by adaptors

-Remodelled k fuselages and ARI engine

-Rebalanced part's mass and lifting body values

-Rebalanced Cost and techtrees

-Wing's CoL is offsetted more towards the control surface

-Various of minor bug fixes

-FAR support

-RealFuel Support

-Added some basic IVA

NewParts:j cockpit

j bicoupler replaced j adaptor plate

jk 3m adaptor replaced k adaptor plate

k cockpit

advanced turboramjet replaced original turboramjet

type A stabilizer

Remodeled k cargobay, k fuselage and k cargo tail

Remodeled ARI engine

ARI engine and Mk2 advanced turboramjet have gimbals now which can be smoothened by installing KMgimbal

Increased part mass on most parts accordingly

Fixed DragCube

Fixed CargoNodes

Linear Aerospike now has oxidizer gauage

RPM fix

Wing parts are offsetted towards the control surface so the control surface will be unlikely to invert when CoM changes

Removed few parts: L, M, S landing gears, drop tank, 'avatar shuttle like' cockpit with it's adaptor and the turboramjet, these can be downloaded as 'legacy' pack

DL link here: http://www./download/5eysme3eij61105/legacy_parts.7z

FAR support, recalculated wing values, all fuselage parts works with the new voxel model

RealFuel Support special thanks to Shad0wCatcher. But i haven't test it my self, if not working let me know

KM_gimbal support, if you think the engine nozzle turns too fast or looks unatural, download km_gimbal plugin from here: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/km_Gimbal/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

Lift Balance according to the Jebadiah's constant incase you wondering is 1/3.52 source:= thread118839

Heat Production and Max temperaturee balance. The new thermal values can still be 'overpowered' compare to stock, waiting for feedbacks.

Cost Balance, cost of j parts are mostly between it's mk2 and mk3 counter parts, while most k parts cost more than it's mk3 counter parts

TechTree Balance, most j parts are unlocked by supersonic and high altitude flight. K parts are unlocked by heavy aerodynamics, some special parts are unlocked under a reasonable tech. Lowest tech to unlock opt parts is level5 : supersonic flight

Cvufjjl.png

known bug:

The k-cargo Bay bug causes the aircraft shake out of control and breaks. This could still occur in 1.7. I think the bug could be a stock problem as i found nothing is wrong with my models (i could be wrong). Anyway i found the most likely trigger for this bug is offsetting parts into the k-cargobay. So try avoid doing that.

Also to mention i added basic IVA for some cockpits, but they are still WIP, i wish to take a break before i complete them properly. Those large cockpit will have a cabin section so some kerbals wont be invisible in IVA.

Im uploading the update to kerbal stuff so it should show up soon! any bugs please report in immediately! thanks!

Edited by K.Yeon

So, some bugs I've noticed, mostly confirmed.. here it goes:

1. K fuel tanks are hollow (as I see others know about)

2. K shuttle cockpit has two "control from here" options - both refer to the docking port and NOT the cockpit. If you switch control away to a different port/etc (either the one built into the cockpit or any other docking port), you *cannot* switch back to the K cockpit and have it function normally anymore. This is a fairly serious problem.

2a. K shuttle cockpit has a 'next part/previous part' option - using either one removes the ability for this cockpit to hold TAC life support resources - this may be just a mod conflict that you don't support, but I thought I'd point it out.

3. Attachment points in the K cargo bays behave strangely. Part of it is the hollow fuel tanks which I'm attaching the things to.. but if I put a docking port snapped to the connection point, the rover I want to attach doesn't QUITE line up - I wanted to move it down just a hair, but when I use the SPH's offset tool, as soon as I try to move it, it snaps down to the bottom of the bay and I can't place it where I want it to go.

4. The cargo ramp on the K cargo ramp bay could be a little longer, otherwise I have to sling the plane really low to the ground with short landing gear, and that can cause tail strikes.

Unconfirmed: seems like loading/reloading/reverting any planes using these parts causes a much bigger memory leak than the normal reload leak in KSP. MUCH bigger. like 500-600mb each time. I'm using graphical memory monitor, goes from 3.2gb used to crash in a single reload - usually gmm will show me ~3.7gb used before it turns orange and KSP gets glitchy and crashes, so that's where I'm getting the 500-600 number

from.

If true, the unconfirmed memory leak is a big issue - otherwise, the thing about 'control from here' is probably the only show-stopper that I've found so far.

Yeah the k fuel tank is intentionally to be hollow for the moment. In future i might add a sealed off version k fuel tank.

So, some bugs I've noticed, mostly confirmed.. here it goes:

2. K shuttle cockpit has two "control from here" options

2a. K shuttle cockpit has a 'next part/previous part' option - using either one removes the ability for this cockpit to hold TAC life support resources - this may be just a mod conflict that you don't support, but I thought I'd point it out.

3. Attachment points in the K cargo bays behave strangely. Part of it is the hollow fuel tanks which I'm attaching the things to.. but if I put a docking port snapped to the connection point, the rover I want to attach doesn't QUITE line up - I wanted to move it down just a hair, but when I use the SPH's offset tool, as soon as I try to move it, it snaps down to the bottom of the bay and I can't place it where I want it to go.

4. The cargo ramp on the K cargo ramp bay could be a little longer, otherwise I have to sling the plane really low to the ground with short landing gear, and that can cause tail strikes.

Unconfirmed: seems like loading/reloading/reverting any planes using these parts causes a much bigger memory leak than the normal reload leak in KSP. MUCH bigger. like 500-600mb each time. I'm using graphical memory monitor, goes from 3.2gb used to crash in a single reload - usually gmm will show me ~3.7gb used before it turns orange and KSP gets glitchy and crashes, so that's where I'm getting the 500-600 number

from.

If true, the unconfirmed memory leak is a big issue - otherwise, the thing about 'control from here' is probably the only show-stopper that I've found so far.

Thanks for the report

I realized the double control from here problem too. Maybe the cockpit's controlFromHere doesn't stack well with the docking port's controlFromHere. The quickest fix would be delete the line "controlTransformName = CtrlNode" in the k_8m_cockpit config file, this would make you always control from the cockpit...

The attachment problem is not really a bug, because the offset always tries to stick the object with a collider (i.e. the bottom of the bay or the sides). The same thing occurs with the stock parts also.

The cargo ramp In future ill be making it adjustable, but for now is fixed at that position, its designed to line up with adjustable landing gear's large gear at default scale.

About the memory leak,,, the only thing i can think of is because i used a single texture for the side profile of the fuselage parts, because thats the only thing i done differently to how stock parts are made. Anyway i haven't had much memory issue because im using the unofficial 64bit workaround fix maybe you can give it a try!

I think I can confirm that there's a memory problem with OPT... and it's a big one, even 64 bit will run my 16gb of ram dry eventually :) (or rather, something about THIS version of OPT is making KSP's normal memory leak act up worse than usual...) Playing with an OPT craft, I can save/reload 2-3 times. In a craft with no OPT parts, 10-12 times before it crashes. I can try the 64-bit but a lot of other mods like FAR will disable themselves when they see windows 64 bit. I'll try the 'adjustable landing gear' - I'm using some other gear at the moment... I'll try editing the config file for the cockpit issue.

Also I see you commented out the section that would turn on the cockpit lights - is that broken somehow? What happens if I uncomment it? :)

The wings don't appear to be working under FAR, and I suspect that it's because the colliders are not solid. Please, always make colliders solid, convex (and marked as such in Unity), and with 255 faces or less. If you need anything that doesn't fit those specifications, you can always divide it up into multiple colliders.

The wings don't appear to be working under FAR, and I suspect that it's because the colliders are not solid. Please, always make colliders solid, convex (and marked as such in Unity), and with 255 faces or less. If you need anything that doesn't fit those specifications, you can always divide it up into multiple colliders.

Yeah the wings seems to provide less lift than expected. But the colliders are set up properly like you said. Could you try this out? go to OPT/mm_config/OPT_FAR_VOXEL_OVERRIDE.cfg and add

@PART[opt_wing_a]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
@MODULE[GeometryPartModule]{%forceUseMeshes = True}
}
@PART[opt_winglet_a]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
}
@PART[opt_winglet_b]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
}
@PART[opt_winglet_c]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
}
@PART[opt_stabilizer_a]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
}

at the end. It seems my FAR aircrafts gained more lift but the FAR reference area hasnt changed at all so its unconfirmed if it works or not...

The problem I was encountering was that the wings think they are shielded, i.e. part of the hull rather than actual wings. (EDIT: Unimportant) I imported the type A wing into Blender and the collider is neither solid nor convex. I suspect your solution will work (haven't tested yet), but if you need it on every part, then there's something seriously wrong with the colliders.

EDIT2: My issue with FAR is something unrelated. I would still recommend updating the colliders though.

Edited by blowfish