[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

Hey Yeon, love your work. Looking forward to the scaled up J.

Any luck with cargo bays shaking to death? Stock bays don't do this when parts are clipped into them, but the J and K bays do.

Yes I found that the cargo bay bug mostlikely caused by badly layout colliders which may have overlapped and small possibly caused by not using the non attachment tag. On my newest cargo bay model i haven't had any signs of that bug so far!

Another WIP Update: more blender renders :cool:

7XhRNpm.png

I haven't start on the K fuselage parts yet, because they are big! And matching their texture with the very fine and detailed Mk2 texture meaning i have to use large texturesize. They are mostly using 2048x2048 textures at the moment, but im thinking of combining several k part's texture into a 4096x4096 texture to allow better texture useage efficiency. I have done this with the J fuselages, i arranged about 12 parts into 4 2048x2048 textures, it have similar RAM footprint to current version but i was able to squeeze in way more details.

realy want ot use this but the mb size of the mod is a little to heavy to use for so few parts. have u thought about havingsome of the simalr pats use same textures?

Yes I found that the cargo bay bug mostlikely caused by badly layout colliders which may have overlapped and small possibly caused by not using the non attachment tag. On my newest cargo bay model i haven't had any signs of that bug so far!

Another WIP Update: more blender renders :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/7XhRNpm.png

I haven't start on the K fuselage parts yet, because they are big! And matching their texture with the very fine and detailed Mk2 texture meaning i have to use large texturesize. They are mostly using 2048x2048 textures at the moment, but im thinking of combining several k part's texture into a 4096x4096 texture to allow better texture useage efficiency. I have done this with the J fuselages, i arranged about 12 parts into 4 2048x2048 textures, it have similar RAM footprint to current version but i was able to squeeze in way more details.

What's that hull at the far upper left with a single pair of windows?

anyone else have this issue that your plane just wants to flip away from the prograde vektor? No matter how is your stability is in the start of the flight or the locations of your COM and COL ? Although it adds a freaking intense hardcore gameplay exprience when i land 70 tons and 3-5 kerbals with a flipping aircraft unharmed. ı have no mod that could effect this mods gameplay. I have stock aerospace. Sometimes it flips whens i move fast, sometimes when im slow sometimes when i am at certain altitude. I can rarely recover. I cant say i an ultimate expert on aerodynamic stability but i have an understanding on aircraft building in kerbal space program. I understand that what i said sounds like an issue of bad engineering on my part, i just would like to know if anyone else expriences it. Well yes this mod adds a lot more way to build really big spacecraft so maybe i am more rusty on going big planes than id like to think so. If thats the case, do you have any advices or reccomendations for me? ıd also lke some more wing combination options, only the biggest one and 2 others can combine into a larger wing. Making them suitable for each other would be really good, or wings that are long from the sides of the aircraft but not from the front-back line. like a shorter version of the big wing that has more surface to its sides. (bad english explanation,i hope its enogugh) Would also like pics or craft files on stable models if you d like to share, can give me some ideas.

anyone else have this issue that your plane just wants to flip away from the prograde vektor? No matter how is your stability is in the start of the flight or the locations of your COM and COL ? Although it adds a freaking intense hardcore gameplay exprience when i land 70 tons and 3-5 kerbals with a flipping aircraft unharmed. ı have no mod that could effect this mods gameplay. I have stock aerospace. Sometimes it flips whens i move fast, sometimes when im slow sometimes when i am at certain altitude. I can rarely recover. I cant say i an ultimate expert on aerodynamic stability but i have an understanding on aircraft building in kerbal space program. I understand that what i said sounds like an issue of bad engineering on my part, i just would like to know if anyone else expriences it. Well yes this mod adds a lot more way to build really big spacecraft so maybe i am more rusty on going big planes than id like to think so. If thats the case, do you have any advices or reccomendations for me? ıd also lke some more wing combination options, only the biggest one and 2 others can combine into a larger wing. Making them suitable for each other would be really good, or wings that are long from the sides of the aircraft but not from the front-back line. like a shorter version of the big wing that has more surface to its sides. (bad english explanation,i hope its enogugh) Would also like pics or craft files on stable models if you d like to share, can give me some ideas.

Sounds like you need a longer tail for stability.

The shuttle cockpit is putted away mostly because it required two pieces :(

I rather preferred the previous K cockpit, it seemed to have a much more aerodynamically credible shape, the new one seems a bit too short for the girth, and having it in two pieces leaves you an opening for different configuration options, different fuselage components, a passenger compartment, a science module, different cockpit front ends, etc. Just an opinion mind you, the new designs are beauties.

Sounds like you need a longer tail for stability.

Thank you for the advise! Come up witha new unmanned design. It has poor fuel eficiency and TWR at take off and doesnt glide so well but high drag means its easy to come from atmospheric entries it slows nicely as long as you decend to landmasses poor gliding shouldnt be a problem. (dont know if my design has lots of drag or if the parts has, even updated stock aerodynamics does a terrible job at showing player proper info)Dont think it can handle heavier cargos but its something i come up with in like 5 mins to test out long tails and it works.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

note: Using landing gear under J experimental cargo holds is weird, it looks stupid. But it works, so its not stupid.

I just saw this mod... and..... WOW ... OK, maybe I'm not excited enough... hows this...

WOOOOOOOOOOOWWW! I love this, I can see the possibilities, and I love the cockpit... very (original) Thunderbird 2ish looking.

This mod will be installed and supported for as long as I live.

Oh, did I mention I'm excited? Cannot wait to use this mod.

GREAT WORK!

realy want ot use this but the mb size of the mod is a little to heavy to use for so few parts. have u thought about havingsome of the simalr pats use same textures?

I understand this pack probably uses alot of memory, i tried use same textures for different part before but it turns out not so good looking. Next release ill also add a optional reduced texture pack to allow much less memory usage

What's that hull at the far upper left with a single pair of windows?

is the science lab! theres a tiny blue circular science symbol above the door haha is actually inspired by the planetary base pack's science module, i thought its really fancy to actually have a science symbol on the part

Really nice work K. Love the dual engine (precooler?) part.

Thanks! is actually just a bicoupler with fueltanks xD Again, big fan of the mk4 engines ! even i made my own engines i pretty much stopped using them after your new prerelease because they look great on everything haha

qkOdUSV.png

I just saw this mod... and..... WOW ... OK, maybe I'm not excited enough... hows this...

Oh, did I mention I'm excited? Cannot wait to use this mod.

GREAT WORK!

Thanks haha
That was me that mentioned part scaling, I think. Another thing that would be useful that I mentioned before is a part X to part X (self to self) adapter - e.g. a J to 1.25x or 1.5x J, same principle as 2.5m to 3.75m round adapter. Then you can have REALLY huge cargo bays... bwahahahahahaha!
I rather preferred the previous K cockpit, it seemed to have a much more aerodynamically credible shape, the new one seems a bit too short for the girth, and having it in two pieces leaves you an opening for different configuration options, different fuselage components, a passenger compartment, a science module, different cockpit front ends, etc. Just an opinion mind you, the new designs are beauties.

And for AccidentalDisassembly and M_Ouellette i really give you guy's comment quite lot of thoughts because what you guys describes makes more sense than then current K fuselages. So instead of a single k-cockpit how about i add one more j-cockpit with more j to k adaptors? because that would be pretty equivalent to another k cockpit but it gives more versatility.

Also the current K fuselage will probably make more sense to look more like a scaled up J fuselage rather than the current which are basically flying bricks. I created some mock up models (it doesnt look too good yet just an idea of how the K fuselage could be, they are roughly J fuselages scaled up by 1.25)

xvlJZpj.png

Note that the picture is from an anime called to-aru-majutsu-no-index, i found it when i was searching space plane images on googles and it's what i modelled the J cockpit after and main source of inspiration for the wing designs. Even though it's a anime i thought the ship is really well designed and it looked visually very convincing of it's function with it's atmospheric engines on the side and a pair of rocket engine at the rear. Apparently that scene only lasted few seconds as i couldn't find more reference images, im amazed how much thought the animators given it as a aircraft design. Its probably my second Favorited space plane design after the Valkyrie TAV.

The new k fuselage design looks more like a extension of J parts with flatter bottom, also gives a much more smoother look overall. You could argue it looks very similar to the Mk4 fuselage with its bulge at the top and lobes on the sides but i would say its some kind of spaceplane fuselage design convergence haha. This new design remains unable to carry 3.5m cargos but compare to the J fuselage, its able to give the 2.5m cargos a much bigger clearance with flatter floor more suitable for rovers. So i think is a nice extension of the j fuselage. I do not plan to give it a cargo ramp because i find cargoramp in ksp is rather awkward so ill go for a elevator part instead. Also to mention i plan to create these little rectangular cargo modules thats designed to fit inside J and K parts. Because the K parts is huge so i plan to create as few parts as possible, mostly just hollow fuselage with a decent amount of fuel stored on the sides.

I know this is going to be a huge change to the k fuselage, but i think im going ahead to make this change, im always open to more comment though when it comes to new designs! what do u guys think?

I understand this pack probably uses alot of memory, i tried use same textures for different part before but it turns out not so good looking. Next release ill also add a optional reduced texture pack to allow much less memory usage

is the science lab! theres a tiny blue circular science symbol above the door haha is actually inspired by the planetary base pack's science module, i thought its really fancy to actually have a science symbol on the part

Thanks! is actually just a bicoupler with fueltanks xD Again, big fan of the mk4 engines ! even i made my own engines i pretty much stopped using them after your new prerelease because they look great on everything haha

http://i.imgur.com/qkOdUSV.png

Thanks haha

And for AccidentalDisassembly and M_Ouellette i really give you guy's comment quite lot of thoughts because what you guys describes makes more sense than then current K fuselages. So instead of a single k-cockpit how about i add one more j-cockpit with more j to k adaptors? because that would be pretty equivalent to another k cockpit but it gives more versatility.

Also the current K fuselage will probably make more sense to look more like a scaled up J fuselage rather than the current which are basically flying bricks. I created some mock up models (it doesnt look too good yet just an idea of how the K fuselage could be, they are roughly J fuselages scaled up by 1.25)

http://i.imgur.com/xvlJZpj.png

Note that the picture is from an anime called to-aru-majutsu-no-index, i found it when i was searching space plane images on googles and it's what i modelled the J cockpit after and main source of inspiration for the wing designs. Even though it's a anime i thought the ship is really well designed and it looked visually very convincing of it's function with it's atmospheric engines on the side and a pair of rocket engine at the rear. Apparently that scene only lasted few seconds as i couldn't find more reference images, im amazed how much thought the animators given it as a aircraft design. Its probably my second Favorited space plane design after the Valkyrie TAV.

The new k fuselage design looks more like a extension of J parts with flatter bottom, also gives a much more smoother look overall. You could argue it looks very similar to the Mk4 fuselage with its bulge at the top and lobes on the sides but i would say its some kind of spaceplane fuselage design convergence haha. This new design remains unable to carry 3.5m cargos but compare to the J fuselage, its able to give the 2.5m cargos a much bigger clearance with flatter floor more suitable for rovers. So i think is a nice extension of the j fuselage. I do not plan to give it a cargo ramp because i find cargoramp in ksp is rather awkward so ill go for a elevator part instead. Also to mention i plan to create these little rectangular cargo modules thats designed to fit inside J and K parts. Because the K parts is huge so i plan to create as few parts as possible, mostly just hollow fuselage with a decent amount of fuel stored on the sides.

I know this is going to be a huge change to the k fuselage, but i think im going ahead to make this change, im always open to more comment though when it comes to new designs! what do u guys think?

In general I like it - my only point with the X to X adapter (J to larger J, new K to larger new K, whatever) was that I imagine it is a much easier part to create than most (may or may not even have to be hollow) and just one part like that suddenly allows for (tweakscaled) very large bays. Since you can do that for whatever cross-section you end up liking most, any cross section could hold whatever size someone wants when scaled up. With one or two adapters, now you've got a drop bay and a K bay with a flat floor that can hold 3.75, 5, whatever someone wants. With a decent-looking adapter, I think it wouldn't look terrible either.

I'm not sure if I'm describing what I'm thinking very clearly, so here's a crappy picture - sorry for butchering your very nice J fuselage image:

crappyJtoJadapterpic.png

The J cargo bay in the back there is the same cross-section as the J fuel tank in front, of course, just scaled up - ta daaa, 3.75m J bay (or same with K).

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could do an offset K to K adapter so that the floor stays flat between different scales, etc.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Hey uh i ws checking install file after some other mod corrupted the j inline docking parts tweakables, i re installed it fine but it says there would be "ships" file here, i cant find em, obviously they were removed from previous versions but any chance i can get em? i like pre made ships as they sometimes give good ideas.

edit: j inline docking still weird, it is always open, i cant close it, i cant right click it when i set up hotkeys.

Also how do you do the science in science bay? Electricty+4 kerbals = data? Could use more info

Thanks for the awesome mod so far having tons of fun with new better looking spaceplanes.

Edited by TheReaper

Thanks haha

Wow I was just thinking along the lines of maybe stretching the K cockpit to twice it's current length to give it a smoother transition and sleeker shape, but that design is gorgeous. I do hope though that you will be keeping the old parts available in a legacy pack, I'm archiving all these parts either way because I loved that Valkyrie design and the K cargo hold does have some advantages even though it seems suited for a much larger aircraft.

Thanks haha

Well this looks awesome!

I knew something looked familiar about this pack, though... Would never have guessed it was inspired by Index!

The new parts look great. I whipped up a few descriptions up for the current release but haven't done all the parts yet... I guess I might wait until this revamp!

I liked how the K parts had mk2 attachment points on the sides, have you thought about adding some adapters to allow similar side attachment to other fuselage types? May look cool along side the Mk 3's for instance, or just the 2.5 stuff.

I liked how the K parts had mk2 attachment points on the sides, have you thought about adding some adapters to allow similar side attachment to other fuselage types? May look cool along side the Mk 3's for instance, or just the 2.5 stuff.

I don't think that's really within the scope of this mod, but you should run that by SuicidalInsanity, as he's putting together a Mk3 expansion mod

for the next versions could we revise turboramjet and turboram intake combo? my plane of 85 tons ran 2.265 (orbital) velocity without engine failure on 22 km altitude even 0.6 intake value left. i ran engines on full power.

bumb: "j inline docking still weird, it is always open, i cant close it, i cant right click it when i set up hotkey"

Hi,

After installing this mod I found that the (stock) atmosphere about 2km above sea level the drag and atm efficiency oscillate considerably causing planes to behave in odd manners going up and landing (worse when landing, as it causes the planes to be ripped apart).

For example an otherwise perfectly built stock spaceplane ssto will be ripped apart over KSC while aiming to land at the runway about 1.5km - 2.0km altitude and speed of 160m/s

anyone knows how to fix this?

Hi,

After installing this mod I found that the (stock) atmosphere about 2km above sea level the drag and atm efficiency oscillate considerably causing planes to behave in odd manners going up and landing (worse when landing, as it causes the planes to be ripped apart).

For example an otherwise perfectly built stock spaceplane ssto will be ripped apart over KSC while aiming to land at the runway about 1.5km - 2.0km altitude and speed of 160m/s

anyone knows how to fix this?

i have stock atmosphere and this mod , i find that there are almost no drag all the way down to 10km in re entery and lots of drag below, so much that planes that are lightest and the best lift force cant glide. But never encountered your problem. Perhaps your files descriptions on how to behave in stock atmosphere are corrupted, do a clean re install with a clean ksp without mods and stock atmosphere see if it continues. See if it happens with non-OPT planes. etc

Apologies if this is already reported, a search didn't find any obvious reference.....

OPT and KIS are not playing nicely together.

[WRN 16:52:13.606] InternalModel error: Part Crew capacity is 5, but 2 seats are defined in internal model
[WRN 16:52:13.607] Internal Model error: Crewmember Valentina Kerman's seat index exceeds internal model seat count!
[WRN 16:52:13.607] Internal Model error: Crewmember Camdon Kerman's seat index exceeds internal model seat count!
[WRN 16:52:13.607] Internal Model error: Crewmember Tedvan Kerman's seat index exceeds internal model seat count!

OPT version is 1.7

KIS version is 1.2.0

My tools loaded in the SPH have gone missing, I might have to send up someone to unbolt parts before re-entry :huh:

Edit: excess parts fell off after SOI change !!

Edited by v8Dave
Blind luck !

Hi I have a little problem with the K-Bicoupler: I used it together with 2 Atomic Engines (from another mod).

When I got my plane into sky the K-Bicoupler disapeared (guess relocated to the runway).

Because the the part is gone, camera does strange things.

At first I had some struts on it. The 'caught' the stray part.

Resulting in crashing it into the plane.

The version was 1.6.9.1.

No, no, please keep current K! They look so similar to Valkyre from Avatar... Ans they have very nice functionality. And having Mk2 nodes are great, for different intakes, engines and other crazy designs. If only the shake apart bugs were fixed...

Well, the deployed ramp heigth is too big for me, as I tend to have realistic landing gear heigth on my planes. I mount procedural gears on wings usually.

Edited by sashan