[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

It bulges too much up and down,

I really feel if it was any thinner it would be almost unusable. Just look at the Mk4 parts Nertea released a few days ago, those bulge up and down, but they also fit 2.5m parts inside comfortably.

Edit: excess parts fell off after SOI change !!

Parts fell off of the actual plane?

Sounds like some breakingForce / breakingTorque fields are set too low. (or, not set at all in the configs which means defaulting to 22 which is too weak)

The Index ship in that picture has what appears to be an oval shaped cross section at least for what's visible, maybe in this planned change for the K parts those dorsal and ventral "bulges" could be widened either by giving it a double backbone with a flattened surface between or by increasing the radius of the central spine, in either case making the part look like something more that merely an upscaled J as well as giving a better internal capacity than from going directly from the K to an enlarged J.

Parts fell off of the actual plane?

Sounds like some breakingForce / breakingTorque fields are set too low. (or, not set at all in the configs which means defaulting to 22 which is too weak)

Or, the parts really were not needed...

The kerbal way of seeing what is and is not important..

More struts.

Some of the OPT parts really do not like clipping, especially the K sections, I've had a few designs that looked great in the SPH but would literally fly apart the minute they hit the runway, so I'd go back and move parts out to just surface contact and it usually takes care of the problem, that and using struts, I try to hide them under surfaces or between parts where they'd be less obvious.

Good job, but i have been trying for hours to place a vehicle in the cargo bay by means of a docking port in the ceiling.....impossible! I try to play with gizmo root part, but it won't work!

my vehicle is always stuck by front or rear attach node!!!! would it be possible to place some attach node in the ceiling?

I would be nice if you add 2.5 meter tanks and of course adapter parts to switch between 2.5 meter and I-, J- and K-parts.

Why? Because combining OPT and stock parts simply look bad. :(

N49PzMI.jpg

KAX has liquid fuel tanks, and it is easy to make FuelSwitcher config for them. Or use TweakScale for smaller tanks.

I also highly recommend getting Ven's stock revamp - it brings old stock parts up to a quality level of this and many more other mods.

I have a small request: Could you please add bombardier seat and window to the belly of one of the 2.5m cockpits? Preferrably with IVA. Like on this plane (Tu-22 Blinder):

0_8bbd0_de133415_orig.jpg

Would give us the best view ever in KSP. :P

Edited by sashan

Great Mod. I think ist one of the essentials for KSP. :) I would love if you could add the old K-Cockpit as an option aswell as large vtol engine. I'm building vtols all the time and my ships are just to big for small engines :)

No, no, please keep current K! They look so similar to Valkyre from Avatar... Ans they have very nice functionality. And having Mk2 nodes are great, for different intakes, engines and other crazy designs. If only the shake apart bugs were fixed...

Well, the deployed ramp heigth is too big for me, as I tend to have realistic landing gear heigth on my planes. I mount procedural gears on wings usually.

Yeah, I have to say I don't like the K redesign. It bulges too much up and down, and should remain relatively flat. Don't mind the idea of adding some curvature to it, but it should relatively retain its profile.

Ok, I finished the new parts finally,,,

Cd6lqJ8.png

I personally think they turned out great and pretty useful as well, but because it cannot connect to any stock parts, it just lack alot of versatility compare to the current k parts.

Still, the upside is you can build some very smooth looking cargo ship, so ill add them as 6 new parts and it wont be replacing the k parts.

This is a mission i deploy a space station with these parts as well as Mk4 2.0 engines.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Some of the OPT parts really do not like clipping, especially the K sections, I've had a few designs that looked great in the SPH but would literally fly apart the minute they hit the runway

Yes in the current version, any part with animation can cause this. I realized some of the colliders over lapped and with animation it causes weird things to happen. With the new rework this will be eliminated.

edit;

ps i havent had much time recently so the update will take awhile.. thanks for the patiences

Edited by K.Yeon

do you have any more wings avaliable that we can build together? if not in this update as a surprise , but next ones? One of the most enjoyable mods i have s o far.

btw which engines are those in the screenshots?

Edited by TheReaper

After testing out different plane designs I find that there's a need for some more parts.

Just an unordered list of what came into my mind:

- add inline I, J and K cockpits and passenger compartments

- add a MK2-J adapter without offset MK2 node (-> which leads to offset CoM, very difficult to compensate)

- add a simple J-K adapter without MK2 nodes OR a part which fits into the slots and makes the adapter look sleek

- add a 2.5 m to MK2 adapter (for attaching to J bicoupler) OR add a J to 2x MK2 adapter (just like the J bicoupler but with MK2 nodes instead of 2.5 meter nodes)

- make J & K tanks radially attachable

- add a cargo ramp in J size

- move the J aerodynamic tail and J engine mount to the tanks or aerodynamics tab

- add a K part with a docking port

- add a K tank without a hollow inside

- add a K aerodynamic tail

- add more wings

- add obviously more of everything :P

Edited by *Aqua*

Also would be nice if you reuse some textures. THe mod is growing large. :P

Can you also add some small parts, like inline, without canopy protruding but with windows cockpit for 1.25 meters?

After testing out different plane designs I find that there's a need for some more parts.

Just an unordered list of what came into my mind:

- add inline I, J and K cockpits and passenger compartments

- add a MK2-J adapter without offset MK2 node (-> which leads to offset CoM, very difficult to compensate)

- add a simple J-K adapter without MK2 nodes OR a part which fits into the slots and makes the adapter look sleek

- add a 2.5 m to MK2 adapter (for attaching to J bicoupler) OR add a J to 2x MK2 adapter (just like the J bicoupler but with MK2 nodes instead of 2.5 meter nodes)

- make J & K tanks radially attachable

- add a cargo ramp in J size

- move the J aerodynamic tail and J engine mount to the tanks or aerodynamics tab

- add a K part with a docking port

- add a K tank without a hollow inside

- add a K aerodynamic tail

- add more wings

- add obviously more of everything :P

A couple of these parts are already being developed -- see the image posted a couple of pages back.

http://i.imgur.com/7XhRNpm.png

Also... Stock has a 2.5m to mk2 adapter.

I dont know if this as been asked or not but is there any chance of making the parts compatible with tweakscale As so far im in love with opt and i did plan on building a gigantic space carrier that would use the drop down cargo bay door as a hanger to fly in.

uuum. it is an amazing mod... unless the fact that thefueltanks dont have any fuel? :/

any idea what would be causing that?

The tanks use Firespitter fuel switch. The Firespitter plugin is probably installed incorrectly.

These parts seem way too OP.

The Aerospike is massive, yet only 3.5 tons.

Many large parts weigh too little. The most massive plane parts hardly weigh anything.

The Scramjets seem the most OP of all. They can provide like 1,500kN of thrust for those tiny little 2.5ton things. In FAR, at least.

Stock parts definitely lack a scram jet and such, and it's nice to have something better than the turbofan, and better than rapier without having to run on ox, but it's too good. It gives like double the thrust that it should.