[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

Thanks for that cruiser idea. I have K fuselage pruned - memory is killing my game, but I made a smaller version. Combat in space is boring, so I put it on repulsors and now it is a complete beast.

hFwrWsM.png

Yes, that's fine. No one says you can't "cheat".

But I feel like parts packs like these should be relatively balanced around stock to start with, and not require editing the other way around to make them fair.

There's two sorts of cheat. I'm wary of mods that do things like provide way more thrust that fits with stock, it takes away the challenge, but just building and testing a craft in sandbox mode, before going to career mode with it, is a pretty good substitute for simulator training and testing.

There's a lot in between those. But it's not fun if it gets too easy.

Keep meaning to post but keep forgetting, so real quick before I forget again: Great parts, actually, no - the best looking wings and fuselage pieces that I've seen available.

I've made about 6 other pieces for the J series by rescaling part.cfg alone and made my own solution for the cargo bay size problem before noticing in the thread you were working on a replacement. I upscaled the standard cargo bay 10% and copied the mesh for use as an adapter/service bay by locking one of the node faces and rescaling the rest of the model down 10%. This gives me virtually infinite choice of adapter length without modifying the entire J series or breaking the aesthetics or other adapters like the Mk2 and only uses one additional mesh in memory, the rest is all done with part.cfg hacks.

I had never used blender before and firing it up reminded me of firing up vi for the first time - That's saying a lot as I usually try to avoid anything that looks like work when I have some free time - I just really liked the form factor.. I even re-textured the lab and cockpit emissive to match my exterior light RGB settings ;) Ran out of time and patience with UV mapping - Need resource other than YouTube and the inapplicable or semi-outdated, monolithic text-wall.

I'll see about posting some screens or my cfg's if anyone wants them, not sure if I'm allowed to redistribute the mesh or textures though. In the mean time for anyone interested wanting more parts without actually creating them can use Better Science Lab's J series short lab for reference and I can vouch that 1-2m longitudinal axis J/K form factor modules including cargo bays and their animations work without issue. Also QuizTech Aero Mk2 pack contains a nifty little size1 to mk2 slanted adapter(not to mention some other amazing mk2 parts) that I've been finding some pretty cool uses for with these parts.

Leon; Gotta add a counterbalance against the vocal screamjet-is-too-OP Nerf Hawks. I find it in keeping with the idea and spirit of the other parts and you explicitly state permission to edit if so desired. I digress - If you decide to change it, you can do so without losing what makes it so fun - which for me is the sudden oh-sh**-were-all-gonna-die spike in thrust. Just increasing the fuel flow multiplier and/or lowering machLimit(increases heat) can make everybody happy. Or just leave it alone and offer it as an MM patch so at least you won't have to hear about it anymore - whatever - My only gripe is I miss the previous versions particle FX :)

A cargo tail probably will be added for it, but it doesn't fit 3.5m parts...

I really want to ask: why does everyone likes cargo bays fits 3.5m parts? i know MFS have vehicle parts that needs 3.5m clearance, but if you want to make it works well you really need at least 4mx4m cargo bay which only mk4 parts can do.

Anyway im currently at the process of remodelling the K parts, should i give it a bulge to fit 3.5m parts? (like on the left) or keep it the way it is (right)

http://i.imgur.com/8yCSGUE.png

well, why not both? :) K-standard and K-widebody?

I think that would be K-Tallboy since it already is widebody. To have both would require 2 full sets of all of the K matched components. You'll need two versions of everything that the K cargo bays connect with if you want to have the lines of the taller bay flow aerodynamically, otherwise you'll end up with something looking like a barn roof stuck in the middle of your plane. It would be cool to have those options, but I was under the impression that K.Yeon was a bit pressed for time.

As an afterthought: You could go with just two different cargo bays and a filler piece that surface mounts to the top of an existing K part to blend its lines up to the taller bay, it could even be functional, ie; with a docking port or intakes or both.

Unfortunately like m_ouellette said it that would require almost double the effort to make something almost identical, and it might also be confusing i guess. I have completed few 'new' k parts with the bulge and it turned out pretty nice! so i decide to keep the bulge and the k parts will very tightly fit 3.5m parts:

It has much less panel lines than before but i think it looks more pleasant this way...

AAfy0b8.png

nUev9qH.png

I still have quite a lot of stuff to be finished before releasing the update, and my IRL job and study is keeping me really busy these days;.; Thankyou for your patience!

It has much less panel lines than before but i think it looks more pleasant this way...

http://i.imgur.com/AAfy0b8.png

http://i.imgur.com/nUev9qH.png

Oh now that is sweet. As for the less panel lines, you might consider adding a few more maintenance access panels etc., since it is a machine and ground crews wouldn't be cutting holes in those smooth panels to get at the equipment underneath nor is it realistic that they would be unshipping entire hull segments to get at a single testpoint or fitting. Edited by M_Ouellette

Hi, i just wanted to say that i realy like your mod, and i was wondering if you could add different lenghts and types for cargo bays like the Mk IV mod has, like for example:

- 1/2 short experimental cargo bay

- normal j cargo bay in both 1/2 and deafult size

- k cargo bay that opens both up and down in different lenghts

- a cockpit with a nose docking port (to make it easier to attach to space stations without hitting the solar panels)

and to answer one of your posts: yest definetly bulge for 3.5m parts

http://i.imgur.com/AAfy0b8.png

http://i.imgur.com/nUev9qH.png

Nice! This looks like it could replace the MK4 profile for me. Any chance of seeing more views of the new K profile? :D

I still have quite a lot of stuff to be finished before releasing the update, and my IRL job and study is keeping me really busy these days;.; Thankyou for your patience!

No problem. Take your time :D

Hi, i just wanted to say that i realy like your mod, and i was wondering if you could add different lenghts and types for cargo bays like the Mk IV mod has, like for example:

- 1/2 short experimental cargo bay

- normal j cargo bay in both 1/2 and deafult size

- k cargo bay that opens both up and down in different lenghts

- a cockpit with a nose docking port (to make it easier to attach to space stations without hitting the solar panels)

Ok, ill keep those in mind, i may not add them in the next update. But in future they are a must add i think!

Any chance of seeing more views of the new K profile? :D

The new k profile i must admit that i was more or less influenced by nertea's mk4 designs, in a way they are almost identical except mk4 have size 1 nodes on side

qhEWQJK.png

As the k fuselage shape changed, the legacy parts will be useless. So i took the old k-cockpit and remodelled as a j cockpit. Note it's alot shorter than the Avatar shuttle and have a rounder nose in order to fit this parts pack better.

But it still gives a badass space shuttle aura :D

I really liked this design because it proved to have good views in IVA mode

Yr9oK2r.png

Edited by K.Yeon

Don't know if I'm being really thick (probably) but right clicking on the J-type 4m fuel tank no longer yields any sort of option to cycle through fuel tanks.

I'm on Career Mode if that helps any - am I supposed to have unlocked a different node of the tech tree first?

Don't know if I'm being really thick (probably) but right clicking on the J-type 4m fuel tank no longer yields any sort of option to cycle through fuel tanks.

I'm on Career Mode if that helps any - am I supposed to have unlocked a different node of the tech tree first?

its probably firespitter, that mod makes some problems for me in game stabilty so dont use it. I dont have any opitons to change fuel options. Re install firspitter or its DLL files .

and btw: i cant wait for the new update it looks awesome!

its probably firespitter, that mod makes some problems for me in game stabilty so dont use it. I dont have any opitons to change fuel options. Re install firspitter or its DLL files .

and btw: i cant wait for the new update it looks awesome!

I am planning on adding support for these parts in my patch set [http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131806-Starlion-Industries-KSPI-patches-for-stock-parts-modpacks-CKAN]. As long as InterstellarFuelSwitch (standalone, available from kerbalstuff & CKAN) is installed, it acts as the old FS fuel switch, except newer, updated, etc. it adds further functionality for realfuels, NearFuture, or KSPI if CommunityResourcePack is installed.

Out of curiosity - of the LFO-bearing parts, in installs with RealFuels or ModularFuelTanks installed, would you [plural] prefer me to make a duplicate of each part to have InterstellarFuelSwitch, with the original one having the RF or MFT tank, or remove ModuleFuelTanks from some or all in favor of InterstellarFuelSwitch?

I am planning on adding support for these parts in my patch set [http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/131806-Starlion-Industries-KSPI-patches-for-stock-parts-modpacks-CKAN]. As long as InterstellarFuelSwitch (standalone, available from kerbalstuff & CKAN) is installed, it acts as the old FS fuel switch, except newer, updated, etc. it adds further functionality for realfuels, NearFuture, or KSPI if CommunityResourcePack is installed.

Out of curiosity - of the LFO-bearing parts, in installs with RealFuels or ModularFuelTanks installed, would you [plural] prefer me to make a duplicate of each part to have InterstellarFuelSwitch, with the original one having the RF or MFT tank, or remove ModuleFuelTanks from some or all in favor of InterstellarFuelSwitch?

to be honest i dont use any of those mods like real fuel mft or ifs. But i suppose i can speak for some if not all for those who dont get into very complicated game changing mods: Keep it as simple as possible but easly useable to a wider audiance. That means, dont flood the part list with duplicate of each part, but if you can just add a switch fuel button to fuel tanks so it just cycles trough evreything from stock to interstellar or real fuel options, similar to firespitter. KSP has enough parts everywhere now with lots of mods and i believe it would be better if we focus on making those parts to be more versitale and more useable in all situations rather than adding more parts. Quality over quantity so to speak.

to be honest i dont use any of those mods like real fuel mft or ifs. But i suppose i can speak for some if not all for those who dont get into very complicated game changing mods: Keep it as simple as possible but easly useable to a wider audiance. That means, dont flood the part list with duplicate of each part, but if you can just add a switch fuel button to fuel tanks so it just cycles trough evreything from stock to interstellar or real fuel options, similar to firespitter. KSP has enough parts everywhere now with lots of mods and i believe it would be better if we focus on making those parts to be more versitale and more useable in all situations rather than adding more parts. Quality over quantity so to speak.

neither fuel switch module, nor MFT, is capable of turning itself off via part menu - I am not the maker of any of those.

If someone is just running the stock-ish stuff, my patch set will only give options of Liquidfuel/LFO/XenonGas. People running MFT and stock fuel systems only generally would not get an advantage from getting the fuelswitch - they can already assign tank space as needed, just only in the VAB.

my patch set is really intended for a mod-heavy build with proceduralparts - then every cylinder fuel-tank is obsoleted and removed, so there is a lot of room (both memory-wise and too-many-parts-wise) to add more funny-shaped stuff.