[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

CptRichardson: Why not? Dihedral can improve both yaw and roll stability (depends on conditions). It looks like it should be pitch-stable within limits.

well in ksp you dont do flying within safety limits do you? Well i dont, you might, if thats the case you are playing it wrong :)

That cannot be a very stable aircraft....

I'm a lazy pilot so normally i use MechJeb. Just to prove it's very stable i've removed MechJeb completely and achieved orbit in the old fashioned way. It was stable on all three axis. My timing was a bit off so the orbit is not als circular as i would have liked but it took no effort whatsoever.

I'm a lazy pilot so normally i use MechJeb. Just to prove it's very stable i've removed MechJeb completely and achieved orbit in the old fashioned way. It was stable on all three axis. My timing was a bit off so the orbit is not als circular as i would have liked but it took no effort whatsoever.

No FAR, I presume?

well in ksp you dont do flying within safety limits do you? Well i dont, you might, if thats the case you are playing it wrong :)

There's no such thing as 'playing it wrong'.

The only wrong you can do is telling someone else how to play in their sandbox.

There's no such thing as 'playing it wrong'.

The only wrong you can do is telling someone else how to play in their sandbox.

im pretty certain you can use your imagination and in 30 seconds youll see im right.

As the k fuselage shape changed, the legacy parts will be useless. So i took the old k-cockpit and remodelled as a j cockpit. Note it's alot shorter than the Avatar shuttle and have a rounder nose in order to fit this parts pack better.

But it still gives a badass space shuttle aura :D

I really liked this design because it proved to have good views in IVA mode

http://i.imgur.com/Yr9oK2r.png

Oh Baby, I'm loving that, I would love to see what this would look like with your wings. Now I'm really looking forward to your next release.

probably would break that craft - I was asking because if that worked in FAR it would be god-mode *incredible*.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if this flew fairly stabliy with FAR. It's forward lift is taken over by the lifting body and the wings balance the lift behind the mass. It'd have to be a fast flier to be comfortable, but I'd bet on it working. You can think outside the box with FAR too if you're determined

I just installed OPT via CKAN and none of the control surfaces on the wings or other parts are working. Are they supposed to work? I tried installing directly from this forum post instead of CKAN and tried with firespitter core downloaded separately too.

Is there a fix for this or did I do something wrong?

I just installed OPT via CKAN and none of the control surfaces on the wings or other parts are working. Are they supposed to work? I tried installing directly from this forum post instead of CKAN and tried with firespitter core downloaded separately too.

Is there a fix for this or did I do something wrong?

Yes they are supposed to. Delete everything related to this mod and re install this mod using forum download links. Ä°f that does not work, delete everything, clean re install. Add this mod first, check if it works then install your other mods. if the mod works after that you are good, if it doesnt something you installed later is screwing with it. Why bother with all this? becouse mostly once something went wrong or some file corrupted, even if you delete , re install this and other mods it may not get fixed at all. KSP filing system could use a rework but i doubt we'll get one after you know big 1.0 release. Try this, its time consuming especily considering ksps long loading up times but it works wonders.

firespitter has no use for me at all. It just makes the fuel tanks switchable to other fuels. But i dont do it, i just empty out the oxidizer if i want LF only with stock editor. Firespitter also has issues in terms of game stability. so i do not use it. This mod officialy removed firespitter anyway.

First of all, after seeing the poll, I like all cockpits but the K series the most. And it's absolutely NOT useless.

I do have encountered a small bug with the K cockpit. When right clicking on it, the option "Control from here" appears twice. Before docking the uppermost is for the retractable docking port, the second one is for the K cockpit itself. AFTER docking the lower one does nothing or it reverts to the docking port. I have found no way to control the craft from the cockpit again ;.;.

Edited by TheCardinal

Huh. The Tadpole actually does work. Of course then I strapped two of Suicidal Insanity's Mk2 aerospikes to the sides of the adaptor and fitted a pair of of OPT stabilizers to the bottom, and it proceeded to turn into one of the best planes I've ever flown.

HUH.

Regarding the poll, I prefer the Valkyrie K over the short fat Duckbilled one, but as has been shown here, people have been finding uses for the "DB" so I hope some version of it will be available for use with the taller configured K modules, that said, I like the cockpits in this mod and other than completing the IVAs in some or changing others so that there are actual seats for the number of Kerbals that are crew, I would quote the old adage: "Don't throw the Baby out with the Bath water."

Huh. The Tadpole actually does work. Of course then I strapped two of Suicidal Insanity's Mk2 aerospikes to the sides of the adaptor and fitted a pair of of OPT stabilizers to the bottom, and it proceeded to turn into one of the best planes I've ever flown.

HUH.

Is the craft file uploaded anywhere? I'd love to try it!

Regarding the poll, I prefer the Valkyrie K over the short fat Duckbilled one, but as has been shown here, people have been finding uses for the "DB" so I hope some version of it will be available for use with the taller configured K modules, that said, I like the cockpits in this mod and other than completing the IVAs in some or changing others so that there are actual seats for the number of Kerbals that are crew, I would quote the old adage: "Don't throw the Baby out with the Bath water."
First of all, after seeing the poll, I like all cockpits but the K series the most. And it's absolutely NOT useless.

I do have encountered a small bug with the K cockpit. When right clicking on it, the option "Control from here" appears twice. Before docking the uppermost is for the retractable docking port, the second one is for the K cockpit itself. AFTER docking the lower one does nothing or it reverts to the docking port. I have found no way to control the craft from the cockpit again ;.;.

After M_ouellette said that, no matter how i look it, i always see a duck bill on the k cockpit now...

Anyway, the k fuselage before is really really flat, so it was diffcult to make a good looking cockpit. But now with the bulge, its actually easier for me to make something more sensible looking:

Mr cardinal, do you think would prefer this new design over the old one?

So you have

option 1 on the left with mk2 attachment point

or option 2 on the right with intake

Ofcourse i could painted both options the other way around, where 1 is more "with in the atmosphere" type of scheme, and 2 is more of a "OPT" scheme

Personally im going to choose the right one since ill be attaching a intake on the first one anyway in the game.

SECgykC.png

note this is just mock up models, final look may vary slightly

So you have

Ofcourse i could painted both options the other way around, where 1 is more "with in the atmosphere" type of scheme, and 2 is more of a "OPT" scheme

Personally im going to choose the right one since ill be attaching a intake on the first one anyway in the game.

http://i.imgur.com/SECgykC.png

That is a very nice looking cargo transport cockpit you got there! Almost thunderbird 2 like! It's hard to choose, but given that only one can be made, I think the second one has a better side shape, but I do like the texturing of the first one more.

I notice that the MK2 side sections of the K profile are slightly larger than the MK2 size. What was the reason for this? I'm just thinking that if it wasn't then making a MK2 air intake that could go either side of the cockpit would blend a lot nicer that it may do with this shape.

Well, I must say that I like current cockpits. What most of them really need is inbuilt RPM cameras. The view from most of them is quite limited.

Also, this mod has very large memory signature, 80 megs. Maybe you could merge some textures?

After M_ouellette said that, no matter how i look it, i always see a duck bill on the k cockpit now...

Anyway, the k fuselage before is really really flat, so it was diffcult to make a good looking cockpit. But now with the bulge, its actually easier for me to make something more sensible looking:

So you have

I.m.h.o. you can't compare the current K cockpit with the new K cockpit. They're as different as the J and K models. You've asked me if i would prefer the new one over the old one. I'm sorry but i can't choose. I like the old one and i like the new one (in both textures). It's like you asked me if i would prefer a Hummer (old model) over a Rolls Royce (new model). I like 'm both. Should you replace the old with the new, i'll continue to use the old one as well.

So you have

I like option 2 and I would suggest more windows, maybe an upper pair affording a view of cargo bay operations (perhaps straddling an integral docking port?) as well as a few windows along the side. Given the size of the cockpit I would assume it could accommodate a fairly large crew compartment as well as the flight deck.

I would really like it if there was an alternate cargo bay that opened from both the top and the bottom.

It'd be nice for VOTL, other variable geometry stuff, and simply to have more flexibility.

It'd also be nice to have rear cargo bays (that could also be used for nose) that open out to the sides with no ramp.

Amazing work so far.

So you have

New K stuff looks awesome.

Something I find to be missing is a bigger beefier main wing part, the existing one is great for J aircraft, but looks silly on K