[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

I finally made something serious with this, and what I love is that despite the bulk of the fuselage being k-sized cargo bays, I have enough fuel and delta v to haul substantial amounts of cargo to LKO. Brilliant use of space for fuel tanks!

Hey, need help here! Even with the addition of a docking port/decoupler it's impossible to put any kind of payload in the K-J cargo bay correctly. The payload sticks on the walls of the bay and doesn't attach to the docking port. What am I supposed to do?

Hey, need help here! Even with the addition of a docking port/decoupler it's impossible to put any kind of payload in the K-J cargo bay correctly. The payload sticks on the walls of the bay and doesn't attach to the docking port. What am I supposed to do?

Hold down the alt key while placing. The part will stop trying to surface attach and only attach to a node.

I really like the new models/textures.

Do you have any plan to remodel/retexture other parts such as the Darkgoo engine (which is currently quite low-resolutionally textured)? What about new wings?

Also,could you add a K-sized aerospike?

The VTOL engine mounts on IR work wonderfully.

I agree 1,000% with Nothalogh on this issue. :) Yes, innociv, IR 'works', as in 'it does what it is designed to do', but it doesn't work, meaning that it's cumbersome control scheme and framerate gobbling .dll and parts make it essentially impossible to do ANYTHING simply or easily. I've installed Infernal Robotics a good half-dozen times, messed around with it for a few game sessions, and then promptly UNinstalled it again, because each time I try it thinking that 'this time it will be easier to create x ship that does all kinds of y things, it only ends up being even MORE complex and difficult than the last time I tried it. The only thing I've really found it useful for is using 10 parts to perform a task that could just as well be accomplished by one or perhaps two well-designed and -animated custom made parts. Yes, it's modular, and the 'LEGO'-like universality of the parts is attractive, but again, that same LEGO-ness creates the need to add way more parts and controls and commands than is practical or desirable, at least to me (and, apparently, Nothalogh, at least).

Anyway, it's not my intention to turn this into a 'bash IR' discussion thread, and I'm sorry if I'm encouraging too much topic-drifting. But in my opinion one well-designed custom VTOL engine using the Firespitter plugin, or even just the stock animation module, is still WAY better than using Infernal Robotics. And I apologize to the creators of that mod for criticizing it so bluntly, I know they've put in a LOT of work to get it to where it is now. I'm simply saying that the mod doesn't work FOR ME, that's all.

So, anyway, that's my 2 cents. :)

So .. i been polishing up my skills at making IVAs, then suddenly.....

13dQoX2.png

Btw thats my first attempt at making a first class seating unit hahaha (note the textures are kept to down ... but this could change in future)

Heres some other progress:

â–¼The k cockpit (yes the joystick works but MFDs just decoration. But at somepoint they are expected to made into functional props)

biklwMO.png

â–¼j cockpit (more stuff will be added, i feel like decorating Christmas tree when i make these)

zU08km4.png

â–¼And the 'pheonix' cockpit is imported into the game

eU6RJCX.png

Edited by K.Yeon

I'm one of those who think that IVAs are neat but need to have a usability quotient to justify their memory footprint. IMHO, space for a pilot and copilot is really all that is necessary, even in cockpits that hold more than 2. Two examples where an IVA is worth having are the ALCOR Lander and the B9 HL cockpit, as both can be completely flown from the IVA. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm inclined to agree, but what I'm thinking of is the additional problems that come with having no actual seats for a ship that lists having a crew of more than 2. For some reason the way the game is set up if you have no IVA for a cockpit, all crewmen are given a default black box that allows you to access them with all of the games functions, but if an internal is created with not enough seats then only those seats show up, the rest of the crew is invisible and the only way to get at them is click on a hatch, which can be really inconvenient. That being the case, if for instance, a ship is going to be listed as having a crew capacity of seven, give the ship seven seats, even if five of those a just sitting in an unfinished box, that or just don't give the ship a higher seating number than what you are actually going to provide.

I'm inclined to agree, but what I'm thinking of is the additional problems that come with having no actual seats for a ship that lists having a crew of more than 2. For some reason the way the game is set up if you have no IVA for a cockpit, all crewmen are given a default black box that allows you to access them with all of the games functions, but if an internal is created with not enough seats then only those seats show up, the rest of the crew is invisible and the only way to get at them is click on a hatch, which can be really inconvenient. That being the case, if for instance, a ship is going to be listed as having a crew capacity of seven, give the ship seven seats, even if five of those a just sitting in an unfinished box, that or just don't give the ship a higher seating number than what you are actually going to provide.

I wonder if the lack of a portrait problem could be solved by compartmentalizing the IVA. For example, have pilot and co-pilot in the actual modelled IVA as shown in their portrait, while the others can have the black box portrait, which should still allow for clicking the IVA/EVA buttons.

I wonder if the lack of a portrait problem could be solved by compartmentalizing the IVA. For example, have pilot and co-pilot in the actual modelled IVA as shown in their portrait, while the others can have the black box portrait, which should still allow for clicking the IVA/EVA buttons.

Or it can be solved by adding seats to the IVA.