[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

On 11/22/2015, 4:15:26, K.Yeon said:

[quote name='Starwaster']
z9VItzV.png
Yes thats the design of each cockpit i FINALLY decided to use... The reason for this change is i want to keep the OPT MAIN files as lean as possible, i will use 4096x4096 sized texture for maximum efficiency so the whole mod should stay under 50mb. But again, ill add the other cockpits as extra downloads.

Thats all for now!

This sounds like a great idea, I know lots of people want bits and pieces of this in their game and a lot want all of it at once.

Really enjoy using these parts, however I only play with FAR (latest version) and the lift isn't calculated in the 1.7 OPT test version. I wrote a small FAR cfg file to ensure that the lift values are calculated properly by FAR. Just drop this in your OPT folder (ensure you have Module Manager DLL file) and you should get the correct lift calculated when running FAR. K.Yeon I hope you don't mind me attaching this file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h43dbzpnhajj2t9/OPT_FAR.cfg?dl=0

5 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Denko, cool man! what mod is the umbrella from?

The umbrella :) is from the Karbonite and K+ mods by Roverdude. It collects trace amounts of Karbonite and/Karborundum from space when at the right altitude. The Karborundum in turn i use to power jumpnodes from the eftl mod

On 13/12/2015 17:44:15, Denko666 said:

Mission to Duna

https://flic.kr/s/aHskqys5WB

Made possible by OPT

Hello Denko, really nice mission ! I enjoyed watching the pics as I wanted for so long using the same kind of configuration for interplanetary travel for my opt dropships but never was able to do so (lack of time to play...). Quick question however, how did you managed to aline CoM and CoT when both ship are docked ?

On 14 December 2015 at 22:59:33, Jimbodiah said:

Denko, cool man! what mod is the umbrella from?

The umbrella :) is from the Karbonite and K+ mods by Roverdude. It collects trace amounts of Karbonite and/Karborundum from space when at the right altitude. The Karborundum in turn i use 

7 hours ago, Luskhen said:

Hello Denko, really nice mission ! I enjoyed watching the pics as I wanted for so long using the same kind of configuration for interplanetary travel for my opt dropships but never was able to do so (lack of time to play...). Quick question however, how did you managed to aline CoM and CoT when both ship are docked ?

The ssto is built completely symmetrical. The DSEVs are mostly symmetrical, but because of their total weight being so high discrepancies between left and right simply become dismissable. For ballance top-bottom i eyeballed it and used common sense, since the opt j docking part does not present a connection node when open its not possible to use the merge function. If you look at the engine sections of the DSEVs you'll notice i always put them in a triangle, 2 inline with the mass of the rest of the DSEV and 1 in line with the OPT SSTO when it is connected. I then strutted everything up using a little trick i learned from an architect: wherever you have a lever like construction, add a strut connecting the 2 ends of the lever, creating a triangle. That way force generated by the engines gets distributed over both angled parts and the strut. To strut up the SSTO when connected i used Quantum Struts. And finally: to manage the engines during flight i used the Throttle Controlled Avionics mod. This mod will dynamically modify the thrust limits of the engines to keep CoT and CoM as close together as possible. 

The main thing so far to keep in mind for which i have no sollution yet is: the whole construction turns like a bus on prozac. So manouvers that require quick turning are a nono. The SSTOs turnrate on its own is acceptable, the DSEV turns slowly, as would be expected from such a construction, altho using some powerful RCS thrusters is required, haven't found an SAS module strong enough to manage on its own. When combined the whole thing needs about 5 min to do a 180. This and the time it takes to decellerate makes for some exciting moments during gravity capture when arriving at the destination. 

The SSTO i allready posted on KSP Player, ill post the DSEV "rucksac" today. Of the 3 models i made so far that one is the best performing. That way you can play arround with them without having to spend the hours constructing. The DSEV you need to construct in space tho using extraplanetary launchpads, no way of getting that through the rigours of athmospheric flight. Or use hyperedit :) 

Edited by Denko666

On 12/6/2015, 8:04:30, Balto-the-Wolf-Dog said:

33B529CFD4ACD4BBF6A7A49FFA9C3A48F1F09040

Spacecraft et cetera

F568ED18C84509DA9368907555FCB89C105995FF

Wow i really like this! Im going to try out this design my self and if it flies well i probably will added it as one of OPT's sample crafts under your credit!

On 12/12/2015, 3:34:41, Ixonal said:

Any idea when this will be officially updated for 1.0.5? I like to leave my mod management up to CKAN instead of manual these days.

Definitely sometimes next week, and if everything went well, this sunday!

This is probably the last progress update for OPT v1.8, or maybe jump straight to 2.0
anyway i lost a considerable amount of modding time to a game called Elite dangerous
which was on steam sale.... i just couldnt control my self XD

The k cargo tail took longer time than expected, but im happy with the result.
It should be much more functional than the current one.
I also took the time to re-design the cargo internals.

Now all the modelling and textures are done, all thats left is to
import everything into the game and some tests!

Edited by K.Yeon

9 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

Wow i really like this! Im going to try out this design my self and if it flies well i probably will added it as one of OPT's sample crafts under your credit!

It's a FAR design, but I can confirm it's extremely stable and remarkably maneuverable as large SSTO's go. I'd be happy to provide the craft file if you like; beware use of tweak scale. I could see about modifying it to not require tweak scale, though that would take replacing major structural members to which wings are attached in strange and novel ways (it's a wonder what you can accomplish by using those FAT wings wrong), so if I you don't need me to I'd rather not. 

Edited by Balto-the-Wolf-Dog

On 12/17/2015, 3:54:14, K.Yeon said:

Definitely sometimes next week, and if everything went well, this sunday!

This is probably the last progress update for OPT v1.8, or maybe jump straight to 2.0
anyway i lost a considerable amount of modding time to a game called Elite dangerous
which was on steam sale.... i just couldnt control my self XD

The k cargo tail took longer time than expected, but im happy with the result.
It should be much more functional than the current one.
I also took the time to re-design the cargo internals.

Now all the modelling and textures are done, all thats left is to
import everything into the game and some tests!

Uhm so... do you need help testing those?

After years of occasional (and hilariously failed) attempts I appear to have finally figured out UV mapping. I've had some models waiting in the wings, so now I'm looking for a good source for textures to work with or good information on how best to create them from scratch. Figured it was worth asking about that here.

Current monstrosity (having just restyled the UV projection, so now it's nice and garbled):

Update: In unity with a nicer texture

Screenshot%202015-12-19%2019.45.53.png

I'd like to go at least somewhat stockalike. It's getting there but any advice is appreciated.

Edited by Balto-the-Wolf-Dog

@Balto-the-Wolf-DogI think the model looks nice! But i think you should ask about textures in the modelling and texture discussion. Recently a new thread by cxg : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/127093-texturing-uv-mapping-megathread-share-your-techniques-and-tricks/ to help you with texture!
i personally tried to follow captain kipard's intermediate texturing guide when i started to mod, and the first few models and textures looked worse than yours! you can see the screen shots in the early 1 or 2 pages... But it's a very solid texturing guide! you will definitely becomes better with more practice.
my advice (photoshop) is use line tools with antialias on to draw the panel lines, then duplicate and gaussian blur them. And just experiment with the opacity and layer options. also use line tool to outline the important parts like window frame and other features.
but most importantly you will need a solid uv unwrap to work with. So use mirror modifier if your part is larger than mk2 parts.

Sooner or later you are going to create your own ways making texture, thats probably why every mod's art style is different because every modder creates their own techniques.

@RedParadize @Starwaster and anyone willing to test the fuselages: 
http://www./download/40o4dk7ll6jbvoy/OPT1.8testV2.zip

This only contains the fuselages! Mainly needs test out if theres any bug with stock aero, texture glitches or mesh glitches. Meanwhile ill work on finalizing the other things like wings, engines and the iva

Everything in this pack will be remained as it is in the release, so you can add them into your main game. But it doesn't work with OPTv1.7 or the test release 1.

I included 1 craft file that requires Adjustable Landing Gears:
6gb3ulf.png
spoiler: it flies really fast! it can reach 70km with the 8 whiplashes

Install by unzip into the ksp install directory, bundled with newest moduleManager and Firespitter.dll

Edited by K.Yeon

On 11/25/2015 at 3:43 PM, sashan said:

Any plans to finish that awesome mk3 cockpit? It's probably the best cockpit for mk3 airliners around.
aXRHinX.png

Is that available anywhere?  The cockpit that is. Thanks!

Edited by Svm420

8 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

@RedParadize @Starwaster and anyone willing to test the fuselages: 
http://www./download/40o4dk7ll6jbvoy/OPT1.8testV2.zip

This only contains the fuselages! Mainly needs test out if theres any bug with stock aero, texture glitches or mesh glitches. Meanwhile ill work on finalizing the other things like wings, engines and the iva

Everything in this pack will be remained as it is in the release, so you can add them into your main game. But it doesn't work with OPTv1.7 or the test release 1.

I included 1 craft file that requires Adjustable Landing Gears:
6gb3ulf.png
spoiler: it flies really fast! it can reach 70km with the 8 whiplashes

Install by unzip into the ksp install directory, bundled with newest moduleManager and Firespitter.dll

Awesome! I'll try it tonight :D