[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

19 minutes ago, Proteus said:

so this mod wont work in 1.0.5?

It won't???

oh dear. I wish someone had told me so  that I wouldn't have used it with 1.0.5 for the past month and a half :(

I guess now I have to uninstall it. That's a crying shame because this whole time I thought it was working. :(

2 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

It won't???

oh dear. I wish someone had told me so  that I wouldn't have used it with 1.0.5 for the past month and a half :(

I guess now I have to uninstall it. That's a crying shame because this whole time I thought it was working. :(

our best successes often come after our greatest disappointments.
good sir i have the honor to inform you that this mod works fine in 1.0.5 you can now go back to your normal life and worry no more.

So anyone got a working build for these parts? I tried 1.8. Spent 10 hours trying to build anything that can make orbit and I just can't do it.

My craft keeps flipping in upper atmo for some reason and losing complete control.

I tried multi whiplashes, rapiers etc. Nothing works for me.

4 hours ago, Zyme said:

So anyone got a working build for these parts? I tried 1.8. Spent 10 hours trying to build anything that can make orbit and I just can't do it.

My craft keeps flipping in upper atmo for some reason and losing complete control.

PEBCAK?
seems its not the PARTSversion that is wrong here ;)

BTW, u r not really complaining about a test-release and asking others for having a _working_test_release_, do you?
stupid idea: try the latest stable?

I have to admit, the new K cockpit is kind of growing on me. I like that it does not have a thin bladed front edge, that never made sense to me seeing it's never something used in actual spacecraft designs. I still really like the old Valkyrie cockpit (not the J cockpit option), maybe this style of hull but with a Valkyrie type canopy in the center?

So far I haven't encountered any problems with 1.8v2, I did however copy over the wings and engines from 1.8v1 because, honestly, I prefer them over the stock ones, they do have that futuristic look that I just can't seem to pull off as well with the stock parts.

On 12/29/2015 at 2:17 AM, Zyme said:

Install Dynamic Deflection. It limits control surface response as dynamic pressure increases. (higher dynamic pressure increases the effect of control surfaces)

And make sure you have sufficient stabilizing parts on the tail. Wings should have two sets of elevators each, only one of which should roll. (I set outer to allow roll & pitch and the inner to do pitch only)

And try using precision mode (caps lock) when it gets hard to control.

Edited by Starwaster
Fixed derpy answer

8 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Wings should have two sets of elevators each, only one of which should roll. (I set outer to allow roll & pitch and the inner to do roll only)

And try using precision mode (caps lock) when it gets hard to control.

so u set BOTH to allow roll?

Edited by Speadge

5 hours ago, Speadge said:

so u set BOTH to allow roll?

Ooooops NO! OMG no I was tired when I posted that. Outer is the only one I set to roll. 

Outer = pitch + roll

inner = pitch only

Edit: Thinking about real life aircraft here... isn't that how they do it? To actually only have one set of control surfaces that provide roll authority? And also thinking that maybe whatever surfaces do provide roll should be around the center of mass...... I think that would help.

Edited by Starwaster

6 hours ago, dhole said:

Ya, i`m wanted, please!

))

No problem will Dropbox it in a few mins. When using the COL marker there should never be any arrows rendered on it, should just be a blue ball! If any of the parts make the arrows show let me know and I will update the FAR file!

Edited by Jebman82
Typo

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Ooooops NO! OMG no I was tired when I posted that. Outer is the only one I set to roll. 

Outer = pitch + roll

inner = pitch only

Edit: Thinking about real life aircraft here... isn't that how they do it? To actually only have one set of control surfaces that provide roll authority? And also thinking that maybe whatever surfaces do provide roll should be around the center of mass...... I think that would help.

Traditional aircraft design have ailerons near the outer wing tips for roll control, elevators are aft on the tailplane, or canards are forward, for pitch control and some if any roll control. If the wing's control surfaces are near the center of mass they won't have much pitch authority, on conventional aircraft those spaces are dedicated to things like flaps. Think of a lever, the further from the point of rotation, in this case being the center of mass, the less energy is required to achieve motion.

In this game the controls could even pitch inverted depending on the control surface placement, which could have undesirable consequences, so usually you don't want pitch on the wings unless those control surfaces are well aft of the center of mass, like on a delta wing craft or jet fighter where you would have elevator and aileron functions combined.

On 31.12.2015 at 3:51 AM, Jebman82 said:

let me know if any parts aren't working with FAR and I will add them.

Greetes to you and happy new year! )

Two parts - OPT stabilizer Type A and OPT Mk2 Nose

Spoiler

3513172.jpg

3513174.jpg

3513176.jpg

3513179.jpg

Thank`s again!

Edited by dhole

3 hours ago, dhole said:

Greetes to you and happy new year! )

Two parts - OPT stabilizer Type A and OPT Mk2 Nose

Hide contents

3513172.jpg

3513174.jpg

3513176.jpg

3513179.jpg

Thank`s again!

Will update the .cfg file now and test TY for the heads up!

On 12/26/2015 at 11:31 AM, Neutrinovore said:

Ah, well... I was hoping for a Christmas present from OPT, but such is life.  :)  I hope you, K.Yeon, and everyone else reading this, of course, has a very happy and safe Christmas and New Year!  :cool:

Sorry if i disappointed anyone :( i think i drank too much i slept alot xD

On 12/29/2015 at 6:17 PM, Zyme said:

sorry for late reply, you can read up on this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/47818-basic-aircraft-design-explained-simply-with-pictures/ It gives you a really good idea about planes and balance. If your plane flip upwards and over, it must had it's center of lift forward, the stock jet engines are pretty heavy which can cause that when you place more than 4 of them at the back, so you must try designs that balance that out (like delta wings).
In 1.8 i tried to balance using the datas from drag cubes generated by the game it self, so the parts have pretty accurate balancing already.

On 12/29/2015 at 10:33 AM, Jebman82 said:

I have an updated FAR config for 1.8 test V2 if anyone wants it?

Thanks for the fAR configs! i don't use FAR alot since it drag down my fps :( so is always great to have someone help me on that!

Development updates:

I haven't really being slacking off >.> i been trying to solve 1 problem! the wings with control surfaces. The stock module for those part just doesn't work well because it places the lift force and control surfaces place at the same place which produces inaccurate behavior. In short, i tried alot of different method and it just doesn't work... i cant find the code for it as well so making a new script is really really difficult for me. So in the end i had to separate the elevons from the wings. So is going to add extra 7 elevon parts until a fix is available...

uNMnr5f.png

ZjcWLsP.png

i9zgXgo.png

Those larger ones should be a good fit for K fuselages. I will upload another test version with the wings and engine in a day or two! Thanks for the patients haha and happy new year

Aww, crud, I think that your current wings work great, they're literally the ONLY wings and control surfaces I use anymore!  Well, almost... Anyway, I'm greatly disappointed to learn that the wings won't have built-in control surfaces.  ;.;  I'd like to encourage you to please try your best to retain this feature, mainly because I've never liked the look of having ailerons or flaps or rudders or anything like that just tacked on to the back of a wing or fin, it just looks... well, tacked on, lol.  I also second Rho-Mu 34's request for inline and/or otherwise built-in retractable docking ports in a variety of configurations, in I, J, and K profiles at the least.  Again, because there are a limited number of options for adding docking ports to a streamlined spaceplane design without it looking just fugly.

So, yeah, hopefully we'll see some more great OPT parts soon.  Keep up the great work, K.Yeon!

Later!  :D

6 minutes ago, Neutrinovore said:

I'd like to encourage you to please try your best to retain this feature

+1 for this.

additionally: again, why did u change the J-formfactor? i experienced that my old planes look ugly now :(.. and i cant alter them with the "new" parts now...
(Yeah, i know i can manually keep the old parts... but thats odd :D )