[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

4 hours ago, Neutrinovore said:

Aww, crud, I think that your current wings work great, they're literally the ONLY wings and control surfaces I use anymore!  Well, almost... Anyway, I'm greatly disappointed to learn that the wings won't have built-in control surfaces.  ;.;  I'd like to encourage you to please try your best to retain this feature, mainly because I've never liked the look of having ailerons or flaps or rudders or anything like that just tacked on to the back of a wing or fin, it just looks... well, tacked on, lol.  I also second Rho-Mu 34's request for inline and/or otherwise built-in retractable docking ports in a variety of configurations, in I, J, and K profiles at the least.  Again, because there are a limited number of options for adding docking ports to a streamlined spaceplane design without it looking just fugly.

So, yeah, hopefully we'll see some more great OPT parts soon.  Keep up the great work, K.Yeon!

Later!  :D

They may not have them built in but I think he plans to design in the slots for the controls surfaces to fit seamlessly and not look like they are just "tacked on", at least that's how it appears from the images he's posted. I too would request either a built in or at least streamlined low profile docking port.

On 03.01.2016 at 2:21 AM, Jebman82 said:

Feel free to report back...

One part more - OPT J FuelTamk 2m - 

Spoiler

3514109.jpg

And  OPT stabilizer Type A will not work now as stabilizer ))) - 

Spoiler

3514114.jpg

Maybe just me only? If you have littl time - check it, please.

2 @K.Yeon - maybe double Cargo Bay? J and K.

And 1.5 long! ))

Also interesing both side opening, as J-Experemental Cargo Bay.

Spoiler

3514125.jpg

3514127.jpg

3514130.jpg

For OPT Linear Aerospice Rocket engine - maybe a gimbal?

Small pitch only gimbal, 1.5-2.5 degree?

And for OPT J-61 Advanced TurboRamjet to! )

And anoter one interesing part - 

Spoiler

3514151.jpg

3514155.jpg

- hatches section.

If you want make analog, there are useful with ladders, ajustable ladders )

Best regards all!

Edited by dhole

On 12/21/2015 at 8:39 PM, Speadge said:

hi,

why has the j-formfactor been changed between 1.7 and 1.8?

It was changed because i wanted to be able to fit 2.5m parts inside a J cargo bay. I know it's inconvenient for many people that used older versions of OPT, but i really think its much better this way.
The main reason made me change that was because i wanted to fit a ISRU unit inside my plane

23 hours ago, RedParadize said:

have one small issue: Kerbals can't stand up on the K cargo and ramp. Outside of that, its neat!

It has been an issue ever since i made a cargo ramp :| i really have no idea how to fix it unless squad hidden some kind of unity tag for collider that allows kerbals to walk on it.

11 hours ago, dhole said:

2 @K.Yeon - maybe double Cargo Bay? J and K. And 1.5 long! )) Also interesing both side opening, as J-Experemental Cargo Bay.

For OPT Linear Aerospice Rocket engine - maybe a gimbal?

Small pitch only gimbal, 1.5-2.5 degree?

And for OPT J-61 Advanced TurboRamjet to! )

And anoter one interesing part - 

Reveal hidden contents

3514151.jpg

3514155.jpg

- hatches section.

If you want make analog, there are useful with ladders, ajustable ladders )

Best regards all!

Yes! ill remake the experimental cargo bays once im done with the base pack, thanks for reminding me about that haha i nearly forgot about them.
Im not too sure about making a double sized and half sized cargo bay yet because i think 6m for k and 4m for j is the optimum cargo size already.
The main reason i won't be adding gimbal to the aerospike is because aerospike of that size shouldn't have moving parts, and it's gimbal should be controlled by the thrust difference between top row and bottom row, and this mechanic is difficult to create...
I use mk4 pack also, although it looks like a very cool part but i haven't find much use for it. Mainly due to the ksp camera angles.. I find it much easier just use a cargo bay so i won't be adding a part like that any time soon..

Heres OPT 1.8 test release V3: https://www./?n4ra69z3ftrv09a

Install this new version V3 you should delete the old OPT folder. Or extract the zip file inside your ksp directory and select replace all.
The fuselages are tweaked so they are slightly lighter than before, and i also rounded off the long numbers for mass and lifting coe. Otherwise everything else is still the same.

I finally finished balancing the wings. Their node placement probably still require a little bit more tweaks but they works much better than the wings before.
The only downside is you are required to place the elevons onto the wings by hand, which can be a bit fiddly some times...

You can also take a sneak peak at the new J cockpit internal, is about 50% finished but it's the general direction of what kind of IVA i want to have for all the crewed parts.
Ill upload test release V4 later today with the engines, they shouldn't take as long as the wings did.
Regarding the docking port, im planning to make one that can be radially attached while looking streamlined.

2 new test ships are added and the repulsor from V2 is adjusted so it flies better now.
If bugs are found please report back ill try kill them.

visit this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/47818-basic-aircraft-design-explained-simply-with-pictures/ if you are having difficulties flying your plane!

ill be back later!

KXsDQlF.png

1 hour ago, K.Yeon said:

It has been an issue ever since i made a cargo ramp :| i really have no idea how to fix it unless squad hidden some kind of unity tag for collider that allows kerbals to walk on it.

I can't explain it, but for sure some other can. Nertea MkIV cargo & ramp can be walked on, You might want to ask him, I am sure he will be willing to give his secret, even if you are his most direct competitor!

Now I will go test your new stuff!

Edited by RedParadize

13 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

Yes! ill remake the experimental cargo bays once im done with the base pack, thanks for reminding me about that haha i nearly forgot about them.

Yes! Exellent )

Im not too sure about making a double sized and half sized cargo bay yet because i think 6m for k and 4m for j is the optimum cargo size already.

Instead thousands words - Mk2 lander, for example -

Spoiler

3514771.jpg

I just do not like interface between sections.

because aerospike of that size shouldn't have moving parts, and it's gimbal should be controlled by the thrust difference between top row and bottom row, and this mechanic is difficult to create...

Not cheat, not magic - and not mechanic  - http://enu.kz/repository/2011/AIAA-2011-293.pdf 

I therefore ask that this really and not complexating for linear engine.

But it`s up to you, of cource ! ))

i haven't find much use for it

Transfering crew to land/cabin.

I`m use ladders, but it look ugly (

Integrated ladders look muth better!

Spoiler

3514780.jpg

I finally finished balancing the wings.

Wings look perfectly!

And the modules themselves seemed to me more accurate than ever before.

Nice. nice!! )

In the evening, I look carefully , and I will write more in detail.

Thank`s!

I`m remember now - new J crew cabin with air intake? As J-QS01 Cockpit.

Maybe J-drone with intake air for small SSTO J-size? Or nosecone with intake air for OPT J Drone Core - as your opinion!

Edited by dhole

22 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

The main reason i won't be adding gimbal to the aerospike is because aerospike of that size shouldn't have moving parts, and it's gimbal should be controlled by the thrust difference between top row and bottom row, and this mechanic is difficult to create...

9 hours ago, dhole said:

Not cheat, not magic - and not mechanic  - http://enu.kz/repository/2011/AIAA-2011-293.pdf 

I therefore ask that this really and not complexating for linear engine.

But it`s up to you, of cource ! ))

Since it is only the exhaust effect that would be varied on the Linear Aerospike is it possible to gimbal the effect axis. ie. Mount the effect on a hidden gimbaled hardpoint rather than a fixed one? Oh wait that would be for just the effect wouldn't it, does the engine output have a model hardpoint? could that be placed on the same kind of gimbal?

Edited by M_Ouellette

I might be off on this but I think they are looking for the augmentation of flight control from a vectored exhaust, not just the visual effect by itself. If it is problematic to implement within the constraints of the game engine than its not something we really need right now and certainly not if it's going to delay the release of these engines.
 So far everything in this mod is looking really good. I do see that the new K cockpit IVA is going to need a few tweaks, the interior windows etc don't match the exterior anymore, but I imagine this is coming with the updated IVAs. Something I have also noticed, the Mk2 Ram air intake does not align itself perfectly to a Mk2 tank if that tank is at a slight angle, the intake goes on slightly off then needs to be rotated to align it, same with the ramjet engine, this isn't new to this version, it's been like this for a while, not a major problem just a minor nuisance. 

Parts are going together much better now, there don't appear to be any of the problems that were occurring before when using the stock editing tools.

Proof of concept: single axis vectoring works

Spoiler

And yes, it affects both actual thrust and effects

Maybe I'll write up a tutorial at some point

EDIT: It seems to cause weird wobbling along the non-vectored axis when both axes are triggered (though it stabilizes to the correct position), so maybe not.

Edited by blowfish

2 hours ago, *Aqua* said:

This test release doesn't include engines anymore? Or am I too stupid to find them?

u r "too stupid" to read.

From the OP:

On ‎20‎.‎10‎.‎2014 at 4:20 AM, K.Yeon said:

V1.8 test release 3
This only contains the fuselages and WINGS!! Mainly needs test out if theres any bug with stock aero, texture glitches or mesh glitches. Meanwhile ill work on finalizing the other things like engines and the iva

I might have a hint about the "walking on the ramp" issue. When the ramp is closed, It seem kerbal can walk on it, it also kinda work when half opened.

Question is, does vertex/face normals affect how collider behave ? 

On 1/7/2016 at 8:47 PM, *Aqua* said:

This test release doesn't include engines anymore? Or am I too stupid to find them?

is out now

On 1/7/2016 at 7:45 AM, RedParadize said:

I might have a hint about the "walking on the ramp" issue. When the ramp is closed, It seem kerbal can walk on it, it also kinda work when half opened.

Question is, does vertex/face normals affect how collider behave ? 

I fixed this thanks to nertea, it was fixed by replacing the convex mesh colliders with box colliders :D

ggkAAHC.png

OPT 1.8 test release 4: http://www./download/479n9nm72b5reru/OPT1.8testV4.01.zip

the 3 engines added.
the ARI engine is tweaked to have greater ISP within lower atmosphere.
the 2.5m engine have similar properties of the old mk2 engine (which was overpowered and more suitable for a 2.5m sized engine)
the Dark Drive remains the same.

Bug fixes:
ramps are now kerbal walking friendly
setting torque breaking forces to 550 to most parts and 850 for cargo ramps to avoid breaking upon spawning.
Balanced Tech and Cost for the wings

now with 5 test crafts

This should be everything for now, ill be working on the IVA and working props (for RPM) for a few weeks, during this time i might add some kind of docking ports and adjustable hatch with stairs for testing.
The final version will have supports for many other mods, the currenly planned ones are:
EngineLight, CTT, CLS, RF, Interstellar Fuel Switch and FAR
If there are any other mod that you would like to suggest please do so

Edited by K.Yeon

Very nice! :kiss:

I found a few quirks:

The scramjet has a spelling error. Or is it intended?

The OPT 2.5m-J Connector has 864 LF while the smaller OPT 2.5m-J Connector Variant has 1080 LF. The later one looks like it only has about 1/2 the volume of the former so it's weird. It's also weird that only so little fuel fits in there. The Rockomax X200-16 tank can hold about the same amount of fuel as the J Connector Variant but only has about 1/3 the volume of it.

The final version will have supports for many other mods, the currenly planned ones are:
EngineLight, CTT, CLS, RF, Interstellar Fuel Switch and FAR

Please make a separate CFG-File for Interstellar Fuel Switch, so OPT is easier to use wit Modular Fuel Tanks mod.

Or better, a Modular Fuel Tanks CFG.

Edited by Kolago

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

Bug report: the J cargo bay doesn't seem to sheild parts. 

thanks, i made a mistake in the config file, the closedPosition should be set to 0  not 1. Thank god is a simple fix xD

1 hour ago, CommanderSpock said:

@K.Yeon  Can you please put it into a .zip download?

ohh, i didn't realize! ill change that asap

7 hours ago, BlackDruid said:

Will this test version be avaiable with CKAN?

I don't think so for now, because theres quite alot of changes and it's not compatible with the v1.7, i will probably need to message the ckan team for that. It will be avaiable on ckan after i finalize everything, unless ckan decides to put it in there before that!

8 hours ago, Kolago said:

Please make a separate CFG-File for Interstellar Fuel Switch, so OPT is easier to use wit Modular Fuel Tanks mod.

Or better, a Modular Fuel Tanks CFG.

Ok ill add MFT support for the next update.

11 hours ago, *Aqua* said:

Very nice! :kiss:

I found a few quirks:

The scramjet has a spelling error. Or is it intended?

The OPT 2.5m-J Connector has 864 LF while the smaller OPT 2.5m-J Connector Variant has 1080 LF. The later one looks like it only has about 1/2 the volume of the former so it's weird. It's also weird that only so little fuel fits in there. The Rockomax X200-16 tank can hold about the same amount of fuel as the J Connector Variant but only has about 1/3 the volume of it.

shcramjet is a real concept! but the game model isn't accurate at all,, it just looked cool haha, thats why i add the word "advanced" ;) 
and yeah i seem to reverse the fuel capacity between those two.

I lessen the fuel for all the parts because if i add the full amount, is very likely the plane will not take off! The amount of fuel is also calculated base on mk2 parts which i think is adjusted for aircrafts instead of rockets

Edited by K.Yeon