[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

On 30/01/2016 at 0:25 AM, PringleMan said:

Hi, This mod is great! It has a really nice aesthetic to it, and I am really enjoying it.

I was wondering though if in a later version you could add texture switch to make the wings and hull pieces have re-entry tiles and DRE ablator?

+1. and make them more heat resistant as well....

@Krist
You need to test out what speed is safe a what altitude.

Btw, 2 km/s @ 30 km is perfectly fine. Just make sure you pitch up enough, somewhere between 15-30°. Above ~35 km you'll start to cool down again.
Btw when your apoapsis is outside the atmosphere (85 km is a good value) you can shut down your engines and set SAS to prograde. This gives you a few seconds extra to get through the hot ascent and minimizes drag loses.

Edited by *Aqua*

12 hours ago, Krist said:

That's my problem. I overheat to quickly. Speeds of 2000 m/s at 30000 mean boom...

So I should try to level over higher?

Ah... I just remembered that I'm using NathanKell's RealHeat mod as well. Might explain why I'm not exploding more often. That mod is suppose to use more a realistic heating curve. This means heating is not as severe: it's more gradual and based on acceleration rather than speed. You kinda need to stay under about 35km to keep aerodynamic surface control (otherwise you'll need rockets/RCS systems for altitude control.) RealHeat makes heat management a bit easier while still keeping it a factor to consider. (Though I THINK it might be interfering with the functionality of nuclear reactors: over-cooling makes them not work...)

The OPT RAMJET engine flames out at somewhere around 2150m/s velocity and about 38km altitude. I do believe I've survived in stock heat like that (some radiators will help as well). The only thing is if you want to hit that velocity, you need to shallow the climb early (aero surfaces lose a lot of effect at point for altitude control). I try to be under 100m/s or so vertical velocity by the time I hit 30km alt, then set Pilot Assistant to target about a 35km alt. I should still have enough aero control to shed my vertical velocity in time.

Lastly, if you take my suggestion and use Pilot Assistant as an atmo auto-pilot, you can set it to control your throttle and therefore your acceleration. If you have another mod to tack your hottest parts (like KER and its thermal readout), you can adjust the max acceleration in Pilot Assistant so the temp isn't rising. (I'm using RealHeat currently, but at high alt and speed, I can set a max acceleration of about 2m/s^2. Not sure how stock works though, so expect a difference in your experience if you take my advice.)

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Where do I download this?  There is no link in the OP, it's not on KerbalStuff, and the author hasn't answered my PM about where to find it.  Thanks.

Here's the skinny:  The Forum has banned MediaFire links because of that site's questionable policies, there are posts at the beginning of all of the Add-On related threads (including this one, hint hint...), as well as on the main forum 'Announcements' thread, explaining this action.  So, since K.Yeon has only posted his downloads on MediaFire, and hasn't yet switched to another download site, there isn't an actual LINK to the mod.  But if you re-read the first post, you'll find that there is a URL that you can copy/paste into your browser to get to the MediaFire download.  The Forum won't LINK you to the page, but there's nothing preventing you from going there yourself, right?

I hope this info helps.  :)

Edit:  Oh, well, the Forum announcement is at the beginning of the 'Add-On Releases' thread, at least, I thought it was on here too, but apparently not.  Also, if I may inject my personal opinion here, I think that MediaFire sucks, but if that's the only place one can get certain files, then I guess we don't have any choice. Good luck.

Edited by Neutrinovore

1 hour ago, TheWired said:

adblock ;P

I'm using Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus, so I've never seen the problem, though I suspect I would be stepping into a minefield following a Mediafire link.

Edited by M_Ouellette

15 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Where is the Beta Release of v 1.8?

There's a URL on in the OP. Reason it's not a link anymore is because Squad isn't allowing the forums to link mediafire links anymore.

I am having trouble with my J-inline docking port.  It will not retract or close doors in the hangers, and on launch, anything attached to it falls off.  Is this a known problem?  Anyone have a solution?

I am at a full stop while I try to work this out.  I find it very difficult to believe that I am the only once with this problem.

**Edit** So the problem was that I had not upgraded to test release.  Now I find that there is no J-inline docking port, and that J class parts no longer fit inside K cargo space.  Also that MK2 no longer has an engine.

I love this mod.  Is this going to be the way it goes from here?

Edited by CaptainPyke

On 2/9/2016 at 11:15 PM, CaptainPyke said:

**Edit** So the problem was that I had not upgraded to test release.  Now I find that there is no J-inline docking port, and that J class parts no longer fit inside K cargo space.  Also that MK2 no longer has an engine.

I love this mod.  Is this going to be the way it goes from here?

I tried replying to this earlier, but my post appears to still be stuck in the moderation queue, possibly because it was a first post. Hopefully it won't happen again...

The test release is incomplete possibly because K.Yeon hasn't gotten the new versions of the parts working yet. He did after all completely redo the form factor of the J and K series for 1.8 in order to allow bigger payloads. (Old J series wasn't big enough for 2.5 meter parts; old K series was not big enough for 3.75 meter parts. New J and K series *are* big enough.)

I too would really like to see the return of the missing bits. Crew tank and lab in the K-series; inline docking ports; the Mk2 engine (which looks much nicer than any of the other available Mk2 engines I've found), etc. Hopefully most of this will be in the full 1.8 release when it gets here, and the rest will be in the announced "legacy parts pack". 

A short-ish wish list of stuff I'd also love to see include:

* An intake-less K-series cockpit

* Smooth J-to-K adapters without the Mk2 attachments, just like we got smooth I-to-J adapters

* A K-series fuselage with the Mk2 profiles subtracted and a tricoupler so we could use Mk2 modules as the sides of the full-height K fuselage sections. There's a huge variety of Mk2 parts out there that would be really neat if they could be properly mounted on a K series plane.

* More I-series parts in general, with OPT styling...

I had come to terms with the limitations of the interior space of these designs a long time ago.  One of my favorite K-planes had habitat and a major science facility just from a bunch of stock and b-9 stuff stuck inside a cargo bay.  (The preceding sentence is unwieldy, but works if you read it again.)

Keep up the good work K.Yeon! (And then at some point please stop tinkering.  You've broken all my SSTO's.)

On 2/9/2016 at 7:30 PM, M_Ouellette said:

I'm using Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus, so I've never seen the problem, though I suspect I would be stepping into a minefield following a Mediafire link.

we speak the same tune dude.... as do i with Firefox.

Feature Request:

integration with Raster Prop Monitor, these are by far the best cockpit IVA's i have seen as far as visibility and usability, but i like B9's cockpits more because of the raster prop monitors. it would be great if this could happen and thanks in advance.

Edited by TheWired

I love this mod more specifically the J factor and mk2 parts. i tend to built overly complex aircraft... borderline startships with lots of small parts, and i find these are very useful base hulls.
I got the V1.8, and noticed that the legacy parts don't have the exact same form factor; they're a slightly different shape.

is there any chance of getting the J and K attachment plates back in the new release?
More on my mind though, is if there's any chance of a rotating joint (like an Infernal Robotics washer) for making large moving section for VTOL that matches the size/shape strength, and colour palate of OPT?

I know these mods are created by other people, but i would love to see some compatibility between j/k, mk3, mk4, and the B9 formats. Also KSPI integration with fuel tanks and thrusters. (and possibly some engines :3 )

If anybody knows or has any unofficial adaptations I'd love to see them!

1.8 is just a test release, it's not really complete, so a lot of the parts that were in earlier versions aren't in it, but you should just be using version 4.01 to avoid any problems.

I don't think anyone knows what is happening with the development of this mod right now.

15 hours ago, IcedPromethius said:

What happened to the J docking port? will that be updated?

What happened is a good question, I hope everything is OK with K.Yeon and that he is just busy with life, meanwhile you could try mounting a conventional docking adapter on a mount inside of the cargo bay, like they did with real shuttles, see if that works.

12 minutes ago, M_Ouellette said:

What happened is a good question, I hope everything is OK with K.Yeon and that he is just busy with life, meanwhile you could try mounting a conventional docking adapter on a mount inside of the cargo bay, like they did with real shuttles, see if that works.

I think you can still use the J docking port. The form factor of the J is the same isn't it?