[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

22 hours ago, blowfish said:

I usually just download it anyway.

It looks like KSP ran out of memory and crashed.  You have a few options for reducing memory usage:

1. Use fewer mods.  Downside: fewer mods.
  2. Run KSP with the -force-opengl -popupwindow options.  Downside: Decreased graphical performance and no antialiasing.
  3. Run KSP with -force-d3d11 option.  Downside: Occasional graphical glitches, especially text rendering.  This is what I use.
  4. Get Dynamic Texture Loader.  Downside: Longer load times and pauses in the editor as textures are loaded and unloaded.
  5. Wait for 1.1.  Downside: waiting.

my ksp keeps on crashing. is this because of my memory usage ?

32 minutes ago, flipperstar3745 said:

ok i'ill get one the second after it next crashes. it happens when i click to much, revert to launch and VAB/SPH and just random times

Odd ... the log still isn't showing the reason for the crash (though it is showing the actual crash).  Scene changes do tend to increase memory usage though due to various leaks.  So it does still sound like you're running out of memory.

you're running out of memory. run KSP in a window and open task manager, and look at how much RAM KSP is using at one time. 99% chance you went over 4GB and it crashed. This used to happen to me all the time when i reverted to launch or assembly buildings. when you revert to launch is has to re-load not only the building scene, the parts graphics, but also your vessel, while loading the previous point in time for the game world (it's reverting the entire game universe to the time before your launch).
solutions: uninstall most of your mods, or go 64 bit. sometimes changing settings on your graphics card/ in-game graphics can help; the less ram your textures use the better.

41 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

if your graphics card/driver supports it.

To my knowledge, there are no modern graphics cards that don't support OpenGL.  Is there some incompatibility with Unity?

i mean supporting it at a high level. i have issues with 32bit applications and demanding open GL grapgics some times, but not directX (FreeSpaceOpen if you're familiar)
using a Gx 750 laptop card. forcing open gl with demanding graphics in 32 bit can cause some weird shading glitches. (if you have a 64bit system)

1 hour ago, Rushligh said:

i mean supporting it at a high level. i have issues with 32bit applications and demanding open GL grapgics some times, but not directX (FreeSpaceOpen if you're familiar)
using a Gx 750 laptop card. forcing open gl with demanding graphics in 32 bit can cause some weird shading glitches. (if you have a 64bit system)

Odd, I've had a 550Ti and a 960 (desktop) and neither have had issues ... maybe it's a vendor specific driver issue?

And didn't FSO drop DirectX support years ago?  Or was it added back in at some point?

Granted, its a remark not unique to OPT, but it is a valid question. If your toaster tends to malfunction a lot, you have it repaired or you toss it out and buy a different one. But for some silly reason, when it comes to pc's and OS's, everyone turns into this meme: "brace yourself, windows is booting".... and won't even entertain the possibility of installing Linux next to Windows so they can enjoy the game..

[going offtopic now]

I tried to make a Ubuntu multiboot, but it's a 1st rate PITA. I've been buidling PCs since I was 12yrs old and I can't get it to install properly and do anything but present a black screen. I've tried Linux in the past (redhat etc), but gave up after a few hours then too. I think the Linux releases should become more install-friendly if they hope to conquer any kind of audience. Right now it's reserved to applications for people that work in the business or who's hobby it is to get it to work. Kind of defeats the purpose to have a quick install for a game.

It's simpler just to live with the occasional crash (I have about 1 crash per 6 hours of playtime running 15+ mods). Mind you I don't have a 15 year old laptop runing windows 95 and a GeForce 2 card in it, like a lot of people seem to still have and trying to run modern games on it (see that in many games where people are running ancient laptops and complaining about lag etc).

[back on topic again]

OPT Spaceplanes are cool!

Edited by Jimbodiah

Jimbodiah, have you tried Kubuntu? I'm in exactly the same boat as you: owned computers ever since I was 8, worked on the technology, then the components since then, and mostly Windows.

Kubuntu takes a lot of the guesswork of installing a Linux distro. I highly recommend that you use a secondary hard drive for installation, however, because it is simply the easiest option. Trying to split a hard drive in half, making sure the partition tables were in place for BOTH OS's, and installing Kubuntu all in the same go is very tricky.

Another thing you should be aware of is BEFORE YOU GO AND DO IT, MAKE SURE THAT YOU EITHER USE ETHERNET CABLES OR A SUPPORTED WIFI ADAPTER. It is a PITA to have to 'sudo mod make' my drivers every time I log into Kubuntu, and it's why I don't do it often, even if I want to play KSP.

And before it is said this is offtopic, no it isn't, it's about helping someone run OPT better, :P

Edited by Ohm Machre