[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

[going offtopic now]

I tried to make a Ubuntu multiboot, but it's a 1st rate PITA. I've been buidling PCs since I was 12yrs old and I can't get it to install properly and do anything but present a black screen. I've tried Linux in the past (redhat etc), but gave up after a few hours then too. I think the Linux releases should become more install-friendly if they hope to conquer any kind of audience. Right now it's reserved to applications for people that work in the business or who's hobby it is to get it to work. Kind of defeats the purpose to have a quick install for a game.

It's simpler just to live with the occasional crash (I have about 1 crash per 6 hours of playtime running 15+ mods). Mind you I don't have a 15 year old laptop runing windows 95 and a GeForce 2 card in it, like a lot of people seem to still have and trying to run modern games on it (see that in many games where people are running ancient laptops and complaining about lag etc).

[back on topic again]

OPT Spaceplanes are cool!

That mus have been a very long time ago since just about any Linux major Linux distro installs like a charm. Ubuntu even makes it easier by making the closed source NVidia drivers available through their packaging system. 

Since i only use my pc for gaming i recently reinstalled it with SteamOS. Its a respun Ubuntu Precise Pangolin, just boot a cd, select language and keyboard and the off it goes. If your pc more recent or less resembles the Steam Machine specs there is no PITA to be had. 

Given the speed and stability of Linux, it would make sense even after 1.1 (squad,... If you bork KSP 1.1 on Linux i'm personally comming to strangle you)

First of all, love the mod. The parts are very aesthetically pleasing to me and I love trying to build spaceplanes with them.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of an issue. I have a spaceplane built entirely of OPT parts, but for some reason my engines aren't getting the fuel from the entire ship. The current craft I have has about 9000~ total fuel (working on trimming it down as it's a bit too bulky, looks pretty though) but the engines only get about a quarter of that when I stage them up. I don't seem to have any parts that won't allow fuel through that I know of, so I can't quite figure out what's wrong. 

1 minute ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

First of all, love the mod. The parts are very aesthetically pleasing to me and I love trying to build spaceplanes with them.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of an issue. I have a spaceplane built entirely of OPT parts, but for some reason my engines aren't getting the fuel from the entire ship. The current craft I have has about 9000~ total fuel (working on trimming it down as it's a bit too bulky, looks pretty though) but the engines only get about a quarter of that when I stage them up. I don't seem to have any parts that won't allow fuel through that I know of, so I can't quite figure out what's wrong. 

If you're putting fuel in the wings or on parts attached to the wings, they do not cross-fuel. You need to add fuel lines leading into the wings, then off of them.

Also, if you're using the Dark Drive, it requires Oxi and LF.

Edited by Ohm Machre

Oh, no, I'm using the linear aerospike rocket and 2 of the J-92 advanced scramjets. Though, I have to ask, if the wings don't cross-fuel, do the cargo bays?

Yes. Hm, now I have to think about this.

Remember that the Linear Spike requires Oxi, as well.

Just now, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Yeah, the entire craft except the cockpit is the LFO tank type.

Then you're running out of LF, it sounds like. You need about 1/6 (maybe 1/5) dedicated LF for the J-92 Shcramjets.

Just now, Ohm Machre said:

Then you're running out of LF, it sounds like. You need about 1/6 (maybe 1/5) dedicated LF for the J-92 Shcramjets.

No, it's not quite that. I have a total of around 9000 LF but the stage is only getting about 2000. If I run the ship until it fuels out of LF, I still have another 7000 in the ship that I can't access.

No, it's not quite that. I have a total of around 9000 LF but the stage is only getting about 2000. If I run the ship until it fuels out of LF, I still have another 7000 in the ship that I can't access.

Hm. You mind taking a screenie for me real quick and uploading it somewhere? Preferably in the SPH?

If not, I can try to figure this out later. It's been a long night for me, and I need some rest, eheh.

6 minutes ago, Ohm Machre said:

Hm. You mind taking a screenie for me real quick and uploading it somewhere? Preferably in the SPH?

If not, I can try to figure this out later. It's been a long night for me, and I need some rest, eheh.

http://imgur.com/lgWko4I
Here's a screenshot of the ship. I left the cargo bays open so you could see how they were set up.

2 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

http://imgur.com/lgWko4I
Here's a screenshot of the ship. I left the cargo bays open so you could see how they were set up.

I don't see anything that stands out to me as being wrong.

Try adding a fuel line from behind the cockpit to the wings, then towards the engines, and see if that does anything.

Just a shot,  but mind you that - unless you carry extra LF for the engines which don't require LFO - these engines draw their LF from the LFO tanks,  leaving you with a surplus amount of Oxidizer,  which is totally useless since it's not gonna oxydize anything at all - but might be displayed as available fuel / deltaV. 

I've been running OPT 1.8 on KSP 1.05 and never (a. f. a. i. k)  experienced any crossfeed issues to be honest. 

3 hours ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Okay, so, I seem to have found the cause of this issue. I have 2 cargo bays on my ship and remove of the cargo bays fixes the problem. The config files however say that the cargo bays are supposed to allow fuel cross-feed. Which poses the question, why is this problem occurring? Any suggestions to fix this without removing the cargo bays?

2 hours ago, TheEnforcer81 said:

Just a shot,  but mind you that - unless you carry extra LF for the engines which don't require LFO - these engines draw their LF from the LFO tanks,  leaving you with a surplus amount of Oxidizer,  which is totally useless since it's not gonna oxydize anything at all - but might be displayed as available fuel / deltaV. 

I've been running OPT 1.8 on KSP 1.05 and never (a. f. a. i. k)  experienced any crossfeed issues to be honest. 

That's what I thought it was originally, but that's not what's happening. When I run out of LF and have that little bit of left over Ox. that is left over; I still have another 6000~ LF and Ox. that aren't being accessed by the engines at all.

Edited by Azrael the Sorrowful

30 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Okay, so, I seem to have found the cause of this issue. I have 2 cargo bays on my ship and remove of the cargo bays fixes the problem. The config files however say that the cargo bays are supposed to allow fuel cross-feed. Which poses the question, why is this problem occurring? Any suggestions to fix this without removing the cargo bays?

Alright, I have figured out the problem. I added fuel lines from the tanks to the cargo bays, from the cargo bats to the next tank, and so on. Now, I have access to all my fuel. However, as I stated before, the cargo bays' config files say that fuel cross-feed is enable, which clearly it isn't. Not sure what's wrong, but yeah.

40 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Alright, I have figured out the problem. I added fuel lines from the tanks to the cargo bays, from the cargo bats to the next tank, and so on. Now, I have access to all my fuel. However, as I stated before, the cargo bays' config files say that fuel cross-feed is enable, which clearly it isn't. Not sure what's wrong, but yeah.

Maybe double-use of attachment nodes? With partClipping/non strict attachment checks from the debug menu you can use the (outward-facing) end nodes of the bays to put stuff on the inside, effectively using the node twice. This can confuse the fuel flow logic, which tends to ignore one of the connections.

Just now, pellinor said:

Maybe double-use of attachment nodes? With partClipping/non strict attachment checks from the debug menu you can use the (outward-facing) end nodes of the bays to put stuff on the inside, effectively using the node twice. This can confuse the fuel flow logic, which tends to ignore one of the connections.

That's probably what it is because I've got things in the cargo bays using those nodes.

What works fine for me is keeping ALT pressed while attaching parts to nodes - this makes them stick only to nodes (facing the appropriate direction as somewhat pre-selected by the part's rotation)  and nothing else.

Might be worth a try - if I'm not currently telling you old boring stuff you already knew ;)