[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

5 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

1.7 is a complete set of parts, as M_Ouellete states. If you want uniform vessel designs that have complementing parts, 1.7 is the way to go. It's the most "complete" version overall.

1.8 was a step in the overhaul process K.Yeon started. The fuselage pieces were revamped completely. (Made thicker/"chubbier" to accommodate standard payload sizes properly, so to speak: Neo-J can haul 2.5m parts and the Neo-K does 3.75m.)

Personally, I'll probably do a selective combination of 1.7 and 1.8 parts. 1.7's completeness and designs I always liked. 1.8's redesign I wasn't a big fan of: partly because of the new dimensions, partly because of the new textures. (Which look incomplete compared to 1.7. They have a flat matte look whereas 1.7 and older had a more polished shine to them, kinda like Porkjet's Mk2 designs.) On the flipside, 1.8 has new, MASSIVE wings to complement the J and K designs. Though at the same time, I liked the winglet designs from 1.7 as well. (They were PERFECT for compact Mk2 designs. I had a wonderfully fun Stunt Jet I made using those wings. It looked sleek and handled very well.)

1.7 and 1.8 are mostly mutually exclusive due to the cross-section changes. (Basically a repeat of the changes that happened between SpacePlanePlus being a mod and it becoming a Stock design. Evident if you ever used the pre-6.0 versions of B9 Aerospace.)

I thankfully still have copies of some of the previous parts. If K.Yeon doesn't kind (which he doesn't seem to), if I'm able to finish up any edits of mod as a collective (i.e. some Frankenstein of a mix), maybe I'll post a version up somehow, someway. I'll be using KSP 1.0.5 until 1.1 is official though. The changes in 1.1 shouldn't affect OPT too much (I don't think any OPT part use module highly modified by 1.1). There are the dependencies like IFS, but that's out of scope for this mod.

I was hoping for better news, but this is still something. Now I have actual motivation to start editing OPT part for my own use without constantly thinking they'll be obsolete in a month because, "Oh, OPT update!" (Managing my own change versus new updates sucked. I never came up with a system to manage anything I edited, so they usually got wiped during updates unless I remember.)

Best of luck to you, @K.Yeon!

To everyone else, I'll post any changes I make here for the time being. OPT is essentially on life-support mode until either K.Yeon gets back in on it (in NOV) or someone else restarts active development. (I'm no modeler, designer, or texture; the latter is not happening with me.)

Want some help? I can handle a whole bunch of FAR stuff as well as other bits?

7 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

1.7 is a complete set of parts, as M_Ouellete states. If you want uniform vessel designs that have complementing parts, 1.7 is the way to go. It's the most "complete" version overall.

1.8 was a step in the overhaul process K.Yeon started. The fuselage pieces were revamped completely. (Made thicker/"chubbier" to accommodate standard payload sizes properly, so to speak: Neo-J can haul 2.5m parts and the Neo-K does 3.75m.)

Personally, I'll probably do a selective combination of 1.7 and 1.8 parts. 1.7's completeness and designs I always liked. 1.8's redesign I wasn't a big fan of: partly because of the new dimensions, partly because of the new textures. (Which look incomplete compared to 1.7. They have a flat matte look whereas 1.7 and older had a more polished shine to them, kinda like Porkjet's Mk2 designs.) On the flipside, 1.8 has new, MASSIVE wings to complement the J and K designs. Though at the same time, I liked the winglet designs from 1.7 as well. (They were PERFECT for compact Mk2 designs. I had a wonderfully fun Stunt Jet I made using those wings. It looked sleek and handled very well.)

1.7 and 1.8 are mostly mutually exclusive due to the cross-section changes. (Basically a repeat of the changes that happened between SpacePlanePlus being a mod and it becoming a Stock design. Evident if you ever used the pre-6.0 versions of B9 Aerospace.)

I thankfully still have copies of some of the previous parts. If K.Yeon doesn't kind (which he doesn't seem to), if I'm able to finish up any edits of mod as a collective (i.e. some Frankenstein of a mix), maybe I'll post a version up somehow, someway. I'll be using KSP 1.0.5 until 1.1 is official though. The changes in 1.1 shouldn't affect OPT too much (I don't think any OPT part use module highly modified by 1.1). There are the dependencies like IFS, but that's out of scope for this mod.

I was hoping for better news, but this is still something. Now I have actual motivation to start editing OPT part for my own use without constantly thinking they'll be obsolete in a month because, "Oh, OPT update!" (Managing my own change versus new updates sucked. I never came up with a system to manage anything I edited, so they usually got wiped during updates unless I remember.)

Best of luck to you, @K.Yeon!

To everyone else, I'll post any changes I make here for the time being. OPT is essentially on life-support mode until either K.Yeon gets back in on it (in NOV) or someone else restarts active development. (I'm no modeler, designer, or texture; the latter is not happening with me.)

It would be really nice if you would make some combo of 1.7 and 1.8 parts and share it

8 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Why not do it yourself? Both can be downloaded.

I would if it was just a matter of copy/paste all contents in one folder but as I have understood it cannot be done that way. It seems that they are uncompatible and parts from 1.7 would need some editing. I am not moder and have never done such things plus I do not have much time to learn all that stuff due the my obligations but if someone would do it for itself and make it work then it could share it maybe.

9 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

Why not do it yourself? Both can be downloaded.

22 minutes ago, seaces said:

I would if it was just a matter of copy/paste all contents in one folder but as I have understood it cannot be done that way. It seems that they are uncompatible and parts from 1.7 would need some editing. I am not moder and have never done such things plus I do not have much time to learn all that stuff due the my obligations but if someone would do it for itself and make it work then it could share it maybe.

As seaces states, merging the two packs together isn't simple. K.Yeon was redesigning OPT for 1.8. Parts kept the same name, but models (and some configs) got changed. This is the real reason 1.7 and 1.8 are incompatible beyond the cross-section changes. If you installed 1.8 on top of 1.7 normally (overwrite), you'd replace a lot of 1.7 parts with 1.8 parts. To merge 1.7 and 1.8 would require at the very least renaming the internal part names in the configs of one of them (probably 1.8 since it has less parts, I think.)

13 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

Want some help? I can handle a whole bunch of FAR stuff as well as other bits?

That would be welcomed, but do keep in mind this will be a side hobby thing for me. I'll just be doing it when I have the patience and motivation. It'd probably be easier if I made a test KSP installation for OPT edits along with minimal mods, mainly UI mod/plugins. Loading KSP takes a while with my current installation.

BTW, K.Yeon apparently uploaded to Curseforge as well. The legacy "pack" is there as well: v1.6.9. 1.7 was a clean up and refinement of 1.6.9. (1.6.x was about the time I started using OPT.) I MIGHT include some parts from it as well. (I want those drop tanks back, just because.) As if it was bad enough with 1.7 and .18, now I kinda wanna merge a third version...

Oh, and no, I won't be testing in/for KSP v1.1 pre-release. I bought the game via the KSP Store, so I don't have access to 1.1. I don't have a Steam account anyway (personal preference...) KSP 1.1 testing won't happen/start until it's an official release.

On 7 April 2016 at 10:07 AM, StahnAileron said:

As seaces states, merging the two packs together isn't simple. K.Yeon was redesigning OPT for 1.8. Parts kept the same name, but models (and some configs) got changed. This is the real reason 1.7 and 1.8 are incompatible beyond the cross-section changes. If you installed 1.8 on top of 1.7 normally (overwrite), you'd replace a lot of 1.7 parts with 1.8 parts. To merge 1.7 and 1.8 would require at the very least renaming the internal part names in the configs of one of them (probably 1.8 since it has less parts, I think.)

That would be welcomed, but do keep in mind this will be a side hobby thing for me. I'll just be doing it when I have the patience and motivation. It'd probably be easier if I made a test KSP installation for OPT edits along with minimal mods, mainly UI mod/plugins. Loading KSP takes a while with my current installation.

BTW, K.Yeon apparently uploaded to Curseforge as well. The legacy "pack" is there as well: v1.6.9. 1.7 was a clean up and refinement of 1.6.9. (1.6.x was about the time I started using OPT.) I MIGHT include some parts from it as well. (I want those drop tanks back, just because.) As if it was bad enough with 1.7 and .18, now I kinda wanna merge a third version...

Oh, and no, I won't be testing in/for KSP v1.1 pre-release. I bought the game via the KSP Store, so I don't have access to 1.1. I don't have a Steam account anyway (personal preference...) KSP 1.1 testing won't happen/start until it's an official release.

Cool, if we do this with a GitHub repo we can make commits when either of us have time. If we each have a branch we can just pull the latest copy from master from time to time to ensure we are both working from the latest copy. I also have 1.1 so I can handle all the testing and compatibility on that version in the interim. I've got some time this weekend so will setup the repo and send my GitHub ID to you K.Yeon so when he is back he can get back involved. 

I've been meaning to sort the drag cubes out on this anyhow so it's good timing!

On 4/7/2016 at 6:37 PM, StahnAileron said:

I somehow managed to merge the 2 and ran perfectly for me in 1.05. Can't use it in 1.1 prerelease though which sucks. Can place parts but can't open their UI - meaning no fuel no nada.

1 minute ago, stali79 said:

I somehow managed to merge the 2 and ran perfectly for me in 1.05. Can't use it in 1.1 prerelease though which sucks. Can place parts but can't open their UI - meaning no fuel no nada.

What you did exactly? Could you write the steps?

6 minutes ago, seaces said:

What you did exactly? Could you write the steps?

I honestly don't remember, the only thing I can think of what I did was overwrite the 1.7 files with the 1.8 ones, all the sizing was fine and such.

EDIT: I think my OPT folder is a merging of 1.7, 1.8 and the legacy parts 

On 4/7/2016 at 6:37 PM, StahnAileron said:

I miss the original J Cargo bays, the original engine pods and the original J IVA's (I used to keep it and edit the newer J cockpit cfg files to use that original J IVA.

EDIT: I also miss his landing gear, they always looked stunning!

As for what I have functional in 1.1, wing control surfaces nonfunctional, engines nonfunctional, fuel tanks placeable but no fuel switch so they are basically dead weight. All the parts can be placed no worries, just nothing actually works.

Edited by stali79

37 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Ok I honestly don't remember, the only thing I can think of what I did was overwrite the 1.7 files with the 1.8 ones, all the sizing was fine and such.

I miss the original J Cargo bays, the original engine pods and the original J IVA's (I used to keep it and edit the newer J cockpit cfg files to use that original J IVA.

As for what I have functional in 1.1, wing control surfaces nonfunctional, engines nonfunctional, fuel tanks placeable but no fuel switch so they are basically dead weight. All the parts can be placed no worries, just nothing actually works.

OK I gave it a try just for sake of it. Merged 1.7 and 1.8 (copy/paste). Well as mentioned before the part size is diferent. The 1.7 are slightly smaller. Combining 1.7 and 1.8 parts in one plane sometimes they do not attach proprerly to each other. The J Docking port I cannot control it is always deployed (but it has nice model). We got really close to having a finished mod. I really need those J and K docking ports. Oh and that 1.7 J Experimental Cargo bay it is nice too!

Edited by seaces

http://www.mediafire.com/download/onmiz88oet422o9/OPT.rar of OPT. The landing gear is there but doesn't show in game.

5 minutes ago, seaces said:

OK I gave it a try just for sake of it. Merged 1.7 and 1.8 (copy/paste). Well as mentioned before the part size is diferent. The 1.7 are slightly smaller. Combining 1.7 and 1.8 parts in one plane sometimes they do not attach proprerly to each other. The J Docking port I cannot control it is always deployed (but it has nice model). We got really close to having a finished mod. I really need those J and K docking ports. Oh and that 1.7 J Experimental Cargo bay it is nice too!

Try the link I just posted, its my OPT folder. I had no sizing mismatches.

52 minutes ago, stali79 said:

I honestly don't remember, the only thing I can think of what I did was overwrite the 1.7 files with the 1.8 ones, all the sizing was fine and such.

Part file names were kept the same in most cases, so all you did was overwrite 1.7 parts with any equivalent 1.8 parts. When we were talking about "merging" the two versions together, we meant have both sets of parts existing in-game side-by-side.

K.Yeon's newer parts are dependent on InterstellarFuelSwitch (IFS) for fuel (otherwise I think they're just regular structural/aero parts; no fuel by default). It's an actual plug-in mod, so until it get redone for 1.1, it's broken in that version. Not sure about control surfaces. I don't know if 1.1 revised that module or not.

I think K.Yeon dropped the wheels because BahamutoD's Adjustable Landing Gear mod was an overall better solution. I found this to be quite true for any angled surface body. It's far easier to align the landing gears on Mk2, J, and K bodies with ALG while keeping the with aestethics. Even more so with current ALG: you can inherently resize the gear (no need for the TweakScale mod). ALG's blends with OPT very well.

14 minutes ago, seaces said:

I think K.Yeon dropped the J dual docking port because of changes to docking ports in general in 1.0.5. Not really sure. OPT 1.7 is pre-KSP 1.0.5 while 1.8 is after. I know the K cockpit with the docking port was dropped because of a control conflict or something in 1.0.5. (Seems the game didn't like have both a command module and docking port module in one part.)

Anyway, no, I haven't touched the mod since I mentioned earlier. I've been playing SubTerrain this past week. (Saw it on GoG.com.) I'm also dreading all the stuff I have to look at to get this done.

In any event, my current agenda is to first get parts to exist with one another. This entails renaming parts (titles, part names, and filenames) so they don't override one another and changing paths to files to match. I may have to revamp the folder structure as well.

Once the merging is done is when I'll start futzing with part edits for balancing and utility. (The fuel configs for the parts always bugged me for some reason.) God help me if I need to fix anything from the pre-1.8 packs though...

No timeline as to when/if I'll get this done. I might start today since it's the weekend, but no promises whatsoever. I'll admit my plan is more for myself than anything. I'll just happen to share if I actually get anything accomplished.

Edited by StahnAileron

If you narrow done the parts you want to combine, yeah, it's far easier. A relative handful of parts from 1.8 merged into 1.7 would be less work overall.

The reason I'm not just doing that is because some of the fuselage parts in 1.8 have better functionality than 1.7 part. (The K Cargo Ramp comes to mind.) Also, the hollow K parts. (I think 1.7 still only had the solid ones... Or not. Haven't looked at 1.7 in-game for a while now.)

Well almost got it to work. My only issue are those ram intakes Mk2. When placed on small cubic part they tend to twist, move and attempt to brake the vessel. Everything else seemed normal. 

What I like about 1.7 is that consumes less memory. Much less then 1.8 despite that it has less part than 1.7

I agree that the ALG gear is much more versatile, I just found K.Yeon's landing gear to be more visually appealing. I thought IFS had been updated already! It has a download link in the Forum Thread

Edited by stali79

I don't think he's using IFS specifically unless he's integrated it in a way that is hiding the associated dlls, he is using Firespitter though which does have a pre-release variant for 1.1 available.

Edited by M_Ouellette

I'm planning on releasing an updated version of this over the next few days (depending on how much time I have). Also going to try and bring over 1.7 parts that fit with 1.8 parts. Lots to test, will also ensure it is FAR compatible. It will be placed on GitHub in case other wish to fork or send PR's.