[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

23 hours ago, darkracer125 said:

the main wing type B eleron turns in the wrong direction. 

also having issue's trying to keep my planes in the air or better said.  getting them in the air

I have never had any issue with the control surfaces, not unless I have FAR installed at which point they don't work at all. Most of my planes fly happily (kinda) but not very fuel efficient when I get them into orbit. My issue the last few days is that suddenly IFS doesn't seem to want to let me put fuel in my OPT tanks.

Examples of my OPT planes

Edited by stali79

3 hours ago, stali79 said:

I have never had any issue with the control surfaces, not unless I have FAR installed at which point they don't work at all. Most of my planes fly happily (kinda) but not very fuel efficient when I get them into orbit. My issue the last few days is that suddenly IFS doesn't seem to want to let me put fuel in my OPT tanks.

Examples of my OPT planes

the latest download of this mod has empty partfiles. 

it's just basic info (compliled by a bot) 

without recourses.    i went into an older version of opt and just copied the resouce "module"  from the older part files

but that was a couple updates ago.  and now it's acting weird.  

i have 3 diffrent settings of LFO mix.    big. medium and small.   and only liquid fuel.  only oxydizer.  LFO and monoprop and electricity mix.   

So in 1.8 the FAR patches are removed, by using the 1.7 I get some functionality

I tried to add all the new parts but it kinda didn't work I do not fully understand why, especially since I quadruple checked if I spelled stuff right

some items had their FAR module added but others (that I didn't even touch in the mm patch) got it removed after trying to add their second variant (like opt_stabilizer_a and b)

-edit-

now in a second run through with changing considerably less it got add properly to all control surfaces I touched

but I swear, I didn't do a thing different from before, I wonder if I should delete the mm config cache before doing stuff like this

-/edit-

On 4/16/2016 at 10:15 PM, Jebman82 said:

I'm planning on releasing an updated version of this over the next few days (depending on how much time I have). Also going to try and bring over 1.7 parts that fit with 1.8 parts. Lots to test, will also ensure it is FAR compatible. It will be placed on GitHub in case other wish to fork or send PR's.

If you explain to me how to set up FAR patches properly based on qualities of the objects (surface area etc) I'd help but to me the examples I gathered from the older patches are not readable by me, only know what the last two values are.

{

name = FARControllableSurface
    MAC = 3.3738
    MidChordSweep = 14.995 //Lead: 50.31 Trail:20.32
    b_2 = 3.308
    TaperRatio = 0.22729
    e = 0.87
    nonSideAttach = 0
    maxdeflect = 15
    ctrlSurfFrac = 0.9
  }

Meanwhile I could add all parts to OPT_FAR_VOXEL_OVERRIDE.cfg

Edited by lude

Please read through the thread. At this point K. Yeon will not be available to work on the mod until much later this year, if he is available then, so the mod is essentially abandoned. Anyone looking for new development or making suggestions for additions is in for a very long wait. At this point it is up to the users to adapt these parts as best they can if they still want to use them.

8 hours ago, M_Ouellette said:

Please read through the thread. At this point K. Yeon will not be available to work on the mod until much later this year, if he is available then, so the mod is essentially abandoned. Anyone looking for new development or making suggestions for additions is in for a very long wait. At this point it is up to the users to adapt these parts as best they can if they still want to use them.

So, does this mean that we don't get a 1.1 update in approx. 6 months?

No. There is a few guys working to make it 100%  1.1 compatible but dont expect new features and such until K.Yeon is able to work on further development. Most parts from his 1.8 beta pack work fine same with the legacy pack.

Edited by stali79

29 minutes ago, hoowuth said:

So, does this mean that we don't get a 1.1 update in approx. 6 months?

That is the BEST possible interpretation for the most optimistic of people.

The title of the first post says August; his last post said November. So 4-7 months and that's IF you're lucky.

And that's only the best possible estimate for when the author might be available to work on this.

And I really hate to say this next part because I do respect the author @K.Yeon but it seems like nothing is ever good enough and everything has to be perfect and redesigned over and over again. The last update before 1.8 was already good enough for a release but then the cargo bay wasn't big enough or the cockpits didn't look right resulting in changes that force a redesign in every other part to match the new form factor. 

The author needs to commit to a final design and then stick with it no matter what, no matter who complains that this or that cockpit looks 'duck billed' or some such. (IMO it never looked duck billed and looked just fine as it was. As in fact did practically every other incarnation of said cockpit. Any one of which was good enough for production)

I described one of his cockpits as duckbilled because it was one of his revisions where he had scrapped a bunch of perfectly serviceable cockpits, especially the Valkyrie style K cockpit then provided a version of the K cockpit that was far too short for it's ultimate girth merging with a K module. The thing looked ridiculous, I saw it and immediately thought It looked like a damn duckbilled platypus. He's revisited the idea of a wide K cockpit in 1.8 but this time the way he made it the design works.

Edited by M_Ouellette

6 minutes ago, darkracer125 said:

where can i download the previous parts?  

this latest pack is just lacking parts. 

no good adapters.  not enoegh fuselage parts.  can basicly only make a giant craft with this. no medium sized one.

it's a shame the mod autor abandoned this

He didnt abandon it per se. He had to go overseas for a few months for work. Once he is able to, he will resume development.

Also scroll back a few pages, i posted a link which has the OPT install i am using. It has the legacy pack, some of 1.7 and 1.8 combined.

16 hours ago, Starwaster said:

The author needs to commit to a final design and then stick with it no matter what, no matter who complains that this or that cockpit looks 'duck billed' or some such. (IMO it never looked duck billed and looked just fine as it was. As in fact did practically every other incarnation of said cockpit. Any one of which was good enough for production)

After using both recently I'm positively unable to even remember/see any differences directly after switching.

Ever since I've known OPT it's extremely great and had by far the most elegant SSTO Plane design parts. imho

35 minutes ago, lude said:

After using both recently I'm positively unable to even remember/see any differences directly after switching.

Ever since I've known OPT it's extremely great and had by far the most elegant SSTO Plane design parts. imho

problems like this is what he is talking about.  (anyway this is proof of the changes the author made)

(wich was incidentilly the exact thing i came here to ask help for)

http://prnt.sc/awjsx3 http://prnt.sc/awjstd  http://prnt.sc/awjsh8  http://prnt.sc/awjs1t 

these adapter plates are horribly missmatched.  and they looked like the most amazing parts of the mod. 

is there any way to fix this?

i cannot edit the 3d models

it's not even the same shape. if it was i could have used tweakscale

Edited by darkracer125

1 minute ago, darkracer125 said:

problems like this is what he is talking about.  (anyway this is proof of the changes the author made)

http://prnt.sc/awjsx3 http://prnt.sc/awjstd  http://prnt.sc/awjsh8  http://prnt.sc/awjs1t 

these adapter plates are horribly missmatched.  and they looked like the most amazing parts of the mod. 

whoa, those are really beautiful now seeing that I probably would have preferred the older sleeker design

the only 'good critique' i read was that it needed a tiny amount of space for a certain payload diameter tho I never had problems stuffing stuff inside the spacious cargo bays.

I really hope someone fixes that adapter it looks pretty awesome.

2 hours ago, darkracer125 said:

it's not even the same shape. if it was i could have used tweakscale

Yes, however would require converting the 3d model back from the .mu format so they can be opened in something like Blender. Then the model can be adjusted to resolve the alignment issues. However the UV texture map might also need a little touch up to account for the tiny change in surface area. Then the file can be imported into Unity where a new collision mesh can be made. Then using the Part-tools addon for you Unity it can then be exported back to the .mu format with these issues resolved.

While the fixing of the model alignment wouldn't take too long, the whole process does. An experienced modeler could do this in a couple of hours maybe less. The volume of the work isn't the problem, more so all the steps to get it into the correct program to fix the issue and then the steps involved in getting it back into KSP.

Not sure I have the time myself but would be happy to point you in the right direction to get started. All the software listed above is free and works on both Windows and OSX.

9 hours ago, Jebman82 said:

Yes, however would require converting the 3d model back from the .mu format so they can be opened in something like Blender. Then the model can be adjusted to resolve the alignment issues. However the UV texture map might also need a little touch up to account for the tiny change in surface area. Then the file can be imported into Unity where a new collision mesh can be made. Then using the Part-tools addon for you Unity it can then be exported back to the .mu format with these issues resolved.

While the fixing of the model alignment wouldn't take too long, the whole process does. An experienced modeler could do this in a couple of hours maybe less. The volume of the work isn't the problem, more so all the steps to get it into the correct program to fix the issue and then the steps involved in getting it back into KSP.

Not sure I have the time myself but would be happy to point you in the right direction to get started. All the software listed above is free and works on both Windows and OSX.

i deffinatly do not have the time, nor the skill. (well i would have the skill.  but it would take me atleast 10 times as long as an experienced person. and i don't even have that couple of hours that a proffesional would take,  and it will be nowhere near as professional. i played around with blender for starmade, but still have no real idea of how to do things.  mostly i just rotated models with blender) 

but. i do have the money to motivate someone else to make some time.  or would that be breaking the law?

Edited by darkracer125
typo's

Bah, i know K. Yeon can't help it and i do agree rl comes first. But his absence couldn't be more inconvenient. 

Also, the 1.8 version looks nice, but as already mentioned 1.7 is already perfect. Why mess with success.... 

Personally i don't care for 1.8 parts. I just need 1.7 to work with ksp1. 1 so...  I guess i'll need to update them myself. 

1 thing i cannot find though is the source code of version 1.7. Anyone know where K. Yeon keeps it?

Here's why i'm impatient : 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/112822178@N08/0rB4t0

2 hours ago, Denko666 said:

Bah, i know K. Yeon can't help it and i do agree rl comes first. But his absence couldn't be more inconvenient. 

Also, the 1.8 version looks nice, but as already mentioned 1.7 is already perfect. Why mess with success.... 

Personally i don't care for 1.8 parts. I just need 1.7 to work with ksp1. 1 so...  I guess i'll need to update them myself. 

1 thing i cannot find though is the source code of version 1.7. Anyone know where K. Yeon keeps it?

Here's why i'm impatient : 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/112822178@N08/0rB4t0

Impressive design. 

Okay, so I've DL'd 1.8, added back in the Mk2 Engine from 1.7, (although it is reconfigured as a RAPIER/Aerospike hybrid).

I've added Liquid fuel to all appropriate parts, but I don't know how to get interstellar fuel switcher or b9partswitcher to see those fuel values and convert them to equivalent LFO, Ox, MP tankage.

I would direct people to check the folder opt/mm_config and look at the file OPT_fs.cfg, The mod uses the Firespitter plugin, I think it's needed for fuel tanks to work correctly, and last time I checked there was a test version available for 1.1, as for if and how they may have actually changed game functionality regarding fuel tanks in general in 1.1, I don't know yet.

3 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Okay, so I've DL'd 1.8, added back in the Mk2 Engine from 1.7, (although it is reconfigured as a RAPIER/Aerospike hybrid).

I've added Liquid fuel to all appropriate parts, but I don't know how to get interstellar fuel switcher or b9partswitcher to see those fuel values and convert them to equivalent LFO, Ox, MP tankage.

i think you might need a new interstellar fuel switch (or some other dependancy) 

i added the old parts fuel settings.  (1400ish liquid fuel and 1700ish oxydizer) litterally copy and pasted it over from older part files. 

anyway. at first those were the only value's it had.  but now it has 3 diffrent amounts of liquid fuel and oxydiser and a monoprop lfo mix setup. and a only liquid fuel setup.