[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

Damn thats a fine bird. Care to share the .craft?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux7qfaxbv7b1at1/Pathfinder%20Heavy%20Shuttle.craft?dl=0

It is still WIP, and I have no idea how many mods it uses. The mk2 engines are from 1.7, everything else is 1.8. I've modified my mk2 stats to basically double the RAPIER's.

So yeah, caveats, but if it works for ya, here ya go.

6 hours ago, Alewx said:

That is something I call "massive".

It was called the Hooge when in early testing.

For all it's bulk, it can only get a single orange tank to orbit at present. I think my SSTO flight profile skills might be letting me down though.

9 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

It was called the Hooge when in early testing.

For all it's bulk, it can only get a single orange tank to orbit at present. I think my SSTO flight profile skills might be letting me down though.

At least you get it to orbit, I can not manage to get there with an SSTO, even with OPT parts.

1 hour ago, Alewx said:

At least you get it to orbit, I can not manage to get there with an SSTO, even with OPT parts.

i have not  built a plane yet that cannot enter atleast a sub orbital trajectory. 

most of these engines btw. only start providing real power when you are going faster then 400 m/s at about 10k altitude, and then when you are going about 1200 m/s pull up (30 degree angle)  and when the air breathing engines fail. you turn on rocket mode (with the rapiers)  

and you should be able to get any craft into space.  if it has enoegh fuel.  and not too much

for example the opt scramjet engines.   they provide about 600 thrust at low altitude and speed.  but then shoot up to a couple thousand thrust when you go faster then 450 m/s at atleast 8000m high

On 4/25/2016 at 0:40 AM, Denko666 said:

Bah, i know K. Yeon can't help it and i do agree rl comes first. But his absence couldn't be more inconvenient. 

Also, the 1.8 version looks nice, but as already mentioned 1.7 is already perfect. Why mess with success.... 

Personally i don't care for 1.8 parts. I just need 1.7 to work with ksp1. 1 so...  I guess i'll need to update them myself. 

1 thing i cannot find though is the source code of version 1.7. Anyone know where K. Yeon keeps it?

Here's why i'm impatient : 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/112822178@N08/0rB4t0

There is no source code since it's all parts (no dll)

1.7 should be more or less compatible since part definitions didn't change that much

-- edit --

Also yes, the Scramjet can bring a lot of stuff up into the air on it's own, like ~200kilometres up in the air if you don't burn up while trying (with nice crashing and burning afterwards if no vac mobility)

Edited by lude

So I was looking back through the thread and was thinking about how I'd like to try and collect all the best bits of the various versions into a somewhat workable "interim" pack, and I noticed that most of the stuff I felt was missing from the 1.8 Test 4 release looks like it was actually in the 1.8 Test 1 release - like the crew tank for Nu-K and the inline docking adapter for Nu-J. With the rest of the fuselage and wing parts that were in Test 4, and the Mk2 engine and the standard cross section cockpits (Mk2 and 2.5 m) in the previous releases, that *should* basically add up to a complete mod, if we can get all the parts working properly. 

The problem is, the download link that was given for 1.8 Test 1 is dead, and google isn't being very helpful. Does anyone happen to have a copy of 1.8 Test 1 laying around? 

Also, is there a tutorial somewhere for how to open KSP parts in Blender or something? I know a thing or two about 3D modeling, and while I can't texture worth a damn, I should be able to make at least some "Tweakscale adapters" - maybe not quite as fancy as the ones K.Yeon showed off with the cargo bay doors, but at least some smooth ones so we can use 1.5x J parts together with regular-scaled ones. 

1 hour ago, Winchester said:

So I was looking back through the thread and was thinking about how I'd like to try and collect all the best bits of the various versions into a somewhat workable "interim" pack, and I noticed that most of the stuff I felt was missing from the 1.8 Test 4 release looks like it was actually in the 1.8 Test 1 release - like the crew tank for Nu-K and the inline docking adapter for Nu-J. With the rest of the fuselage and wing parts that were in Test 4, and the Mk2 engine and the standard cross section cockpits (Mk2 and 2.5 m) in the previous releases, that *should* basically add up to a complete mod, if we can get all the parts working properly. 

The problem is, the download link that was given for 1.8 Test 1 is dead, and google isn't being very helpful. Does anyone happen to have a copy of 1.8 Test 1 laying around? 

Also, is there a tutorial somewhere for how to open KSP parts in Blender or something? I know a thing or two about 3D modeling, and while I can't texture worth a damn, I should be able to make at least some "Tweakscale adapters" - maybe not quite as fancy as the ones K.Yeon showed off with the cargo bay doors, but at least some smooth ones so we can use 1.5x J parts together with regular-scaled ones. 

I think this is it though it's not labeled as such. (which it might not have been seeing as how he might not have known there would be a test 2, test 3, etc)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m01ff6twao8s9s5/OPT1.8test.zip?dl=1

Edited by Starwaster

4 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I think this is it though it's not labeled as such. (which it might not have been seeing as how he might not have known there would be a test 2, test 3, etc)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m01ff6twao8s9s5/OPT1.8test.zip?dl=1

1 minute ago, stali79 said:

I have the 1.0 test, 2.0 test and 4.01 test. Am uploading all 3 to dropbox now as well as my combined version. Will give links when done.

Thank you so much!

I downloaded a combined version that was listed on a previous page, it looks like it has the docking port part (j_3m_dock) but it doesn't show in the editor, or at least not on the manufacturer tab. My 1.05 install is not very stable right now (courtesy of having every mod from the CTT installed) and Steam stealth-updated my clean install to 1.10 so I'm going to need a new module manager and firespitter + a few other things to get everything running. 

The previous one you saw was probably mine. If i knew how to do the editing i would have made it so the old J parts and the new J parts could both be used but that is beyond my ability. Old ones should be edited to be a new set so they can be used in addition to the new ones.

4 minutes ago, stali79 said:

The previous one you saw was probably mine. If i knew how to do the editing i would have made it so the old J parts and the new J parts could both be used but that is beyond my ability. Old ones should be edited to be a new set so they can be used in addition to the new ones.

I loaded up the 1.8 Test 1 version in KSP 1.10, and the crew tank and J-series docking port were both there, which was great. I believe there was also a different I-series cockpit, though since I just closed KSP I'm not dead certain.

It looks like the two main sources of incompatibility between Test 1 and Test 4 would be the different directory structure and that Test 1 had PNG textures instead of DDS. I'm pretty much going to try dropping the extra parts from Test 1 and the texture files into the "combined" directory and seeing what happens - wish me luck!

3 minutes ago, stali79 said:

1.8 Test

1.8 Test v2

1.8 Test V4.01

Will upload my version later

Thanks a bunch!

A quick look at the files gives me the following differences between the versions:

1.8 Test - has the J docking port and K crew tank, a limited selection of wings with built-in control surfaces, and PNG textures for everything. Also has the files split into multiple subdirectories based on fuselage cross sections.

1.8 Test v2 - lacks the J docking port and K crew tank, has no wing parts, and still has PNG textures. All parts are in the same directory. Has a ships folder with one craft (OPT Repulsor)

1.8 Text V4.01 - lacks the J docking port and K crew tank, has a full selection of wing parts with separate control surfaces, and PNG textures for everything. 

(Where did the DDS textures in the "combined" folder come from?)

Dropping the docking port files into the "combined" folder....no joy. I think I may have missed a texture or something.

Loading just the Test version...works in 1.05 and 1.10. No firespitter in 1.10 though, has that been updated yet?

Consolidating all the parts files from Test into one directory (as opposed to split directories)...one file with the same name in both the J and K directories, it's a texture relating to the cockpits. Overwriting... huh, why didn't that work?

Let's try this again. 

Starting with 1.8 Test. Leaving the directories this time.

Creating a new "main" directory, and putting all the parts from "test 4" that didn't exist in any of the subdirectories for "test" into that, and loading again...success! All the fuselage parts are now there.

Next, cleaning up the MMconfig so I can make sense of it...

53 minutes ago, Winchester said:

Thanks a bunch!

A quick look at the files gives me the following differences between the versions:

1.8 Test - has the J docking port and K crew tank, a limited selection of wings with built-in control surfaces, and PNG textures for everything. Also has the files split into multiple subdirectories based on fuselage cross sections.

1.8 Test v2 - lacks the J docking port and K crew tank, has no wing parts, and still has PNG textures. All parts are in the same directory. Has a ships folder with one craft (OPT Repulsor)

1.8 Text V4.01 - lacks the J docking port and K crew tank, has a full selection of wing parts with separate control surfaces, and PNG textures for everything. 

(Where did the DDS textures in the "combined" folder come from?)

Dropping the docking port files into the "combined" folder....no joy. I think I may have missed a texture or something.

Loading just the Test version...works in 1.05 and 1.10. No firespitter in 1.10 though, has that been updated yet?

Consolidating all the parts files from Test into one directory (as opposed to split directories)...one file with the same name in both the J and K directories, it's a texture relating to the cockpits. Overwriting... huh, why didn't that work?

Let's try this again. 

Starting with 1.8 Test. Leaving the directories this time.

Creating a new "main" directory, and putting all the parts from "test 4" that didn't exist in any of the subdirectories for "test" into that, and loading again...success! All the fuselage parts are now there.

Next, cleaning up the MMconfig so I can make sense of it...

Lol, yeah, now you're finding out what I discovered a while ago:  K.Yeon is a BRILLIANT 'part creator', but he (she? Not sure, don't want to assume...) sure ain't that great at file organization and/or optimization. Rotsa ruck, my friend!  :sticktongue:

Double post, but since I'm posting something important I figured it's OK. (edit: Ninja'd - not actually a double post!)

I discovered while trying to get everything to load properly that the expected path name is encoded somehow in the "mu" file, and unless it's located in the folder the game expects it to be in, the part won't load. Hence the "consolidated" release that stali79 posted earlier (last week maybe?) has a whole boatload of parts that due to not being in the right folder, just won't load. I haven't checked the latest one he posted right above this, was too busy getting my own stuff working, but unless he's done some radical pruning, there's about 70 MB of stuff that isn't loading in there. 

Anyway, what I decided to do was basically to ignore all the original J and K parts, and just focus on getting all of the existing 1.8 parts into a single working version. To do this, I took the 1.8 Test release, and added only those files for which no counterpart existed from the Test 4.01 release, while maintaining their folders. Basically, my version has both the old I/J/K folders and a main folder.  I could probably have done it the other way around, as there were probably fewer parts missing from 4.01, but it worked, and I think the parts that *are* common are probably pretty much identical. Then I copied the relevant parts of the Firespitter config from 1.8 Test 4.01 into the one from 1.8 Test, and the engines and sound files from stali79's pack, and checked if it'll load. It does, all the parts load and all the firespitter configs are working.

The only minor issue is that both the old and new Dark Drive and ARI engines are loading - I didn't bother fixing that, but if you have an issue with it you can delete the folders with the old engines. 

The only thing that did load in Stali79's pack that I didn't include in the one I'm linking was the landing gear, for the simple reason that it didn't work in 1.10 - as soon as you add it to a plane, it folds up and no longer reacts to anything. It works in 1.05 though, but I'll be using the Adjustable Landing Gear mod instead which is much nicer anyway, and which hopefully actually still works too.. :)

Also, I have no idea whether the docking port will actually work as expected - the animation works, the hatch will open and the docking tube extend, even in 1.10, but I haven't taken it into space and tried to dock with anything, because I'm a godawful pilot and cannot into space without MechJeb...

Anyway, here's my version of 1.8 - I'm being pretentious and calling it the "unofficial Test 5" version. I've edited the Readme a tad, just added a line about my role in consolidating the parts, and removed the line about the pack containing Firespitter and Module manager (because it doesn't, right now). 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70565045/KSP/OPT_v1.8_test5_unofficial.7z

Edit: All that's really missing now are those Tweakscale adapters with the cargo bay doors that K.Yeon showed us a while back, but never released. Those would have been nice to have..)

Edited by Winchester

Originally I tried to have both generations of his landing gear (his original ones looked sexy) but the 2nd generation ones seemed to overwrite the original ones after they had been placed on the ship. Thanks for your work mate. Currently ALG does NOT work which sucks.

1 hour ago, Winchester said:

It works, but the three parts with "OPT K" in their name (the cargo bay, hollow fuselage and cargo ramp variant) aren't the same size as the other "K" parts. [edit -- those are the part names that show up in-game in the VAB and SPH, not their filenames]

The "J" parts and the "OPT J" parts are the same size and fit together seamlessly, and the two J-K adapters work with them (but not with the aforementioned "OPT K" parts)

Edited by King Something
minor clarification

Just now, King Something said:

It works, but the three parts with "OPT K" in their name (the cargo bay, hollow fuselage and cargo ramp variant) aren't the same size as the other "K" parts.

The "J" parts and the "OPT J" parts are the same size and fit together seamlessly, and the two J-K adapters work with them (but not with the aforementioned "OPT K" parts)

Yeah, I just noticed that I still had some old-K parts myself. Wonder where they came from?

Anyway, I figure it isn't worth a re-upload until I have something substantial to add, like, say, FAR configs? Anyone up for doing those? They weren't included in either of the 1.8 releases, and I have *no* idea what they're supposed to look like, so I can't really do much other than wait for someone to make them.

There are a couple of additional parts floating around that I'd like a copy of for adding to my OPT folder though, like the remaining Mk2 and I-series cockpits. Also, who else thinks it would be awesome if we could make some fuselage parts to match the I-series cockpits? As far as I know, other than the cockpits and tail section in this pack, all the 2.5 meter parts out there are for rockets rather than space planes, which makes me kind of sad. 

Ok trialled the V5 test, it overwrote the newer J and K parts completely, wiping out some of my ships in the process. I am currently trying to rename a part and its associated files to see if its possible to have both new and old parts.

EDIT: Kinda worked, kinda failed. I got a phantom part to appear, no texture and it SEEMS to have renamed in game. Tried it a different way and neither part appeared in game. I think this is beyond my abilities :(

Edited by stali79

2 hours ago, stali79 said:

Ok trialled the V5 test, it overwrote the newer J and K parts completely, wiping out some of my ships in the process. I am currently trying to rename a part and its associated files to see if its possible to have both new and old parts.

EDIT: Kinda worked, kinda failed. I got a phantom part to appear, no texture and it SEEMS to have renamed in game. Tried it a different way and neither part appeared in game. I think this is beyond my abilities :(

Since the version I posted is based mostly on the first 1.8 Test release, it doesn't use the same path names for most parts as K.Yeon's last post. I should probably make one that goes the other way instead. I'm basically running on *only* the OPT folder I posted, and all the parts that I put into it show up fine. 

Basically, in order for the parts to load properly, they need to be in their original folders (so if the release the part came from had I/J/K subfolders, then the part has to go in the right one; if the release had all the fuselage parts in the main subfolder, then it needs to go there); and you need to have the textures as well (if you open up the .mu file in Notepad and scroll to the end, you'll see the filename of the texture). 

Trying to use existing designs with the provisional v5 test release is *not supported*. 

I'll see about making one that goes the other way around instead - Test 4.01 plus the missing older parts, instead of Test 1 with new parts from Test 4.01. That should at least let people load the sample craft from 4.01.

OK, so after dropping the parts from 1.8 Test into the 1.8 Test 4.01 folder, I discovered that the the crew tank and ramp that were in 1.8 Test are completely different from the ones in 1.8 Test 4.01 - the "newer" parts actually have a much slimmer cross section, and are *not* big enough to take a 3.75 meter load. I would have to find some 1.7 parts to check, but I'm starting to think that there might be as many as three different versions of "K" with incompatible cross sections, which basically makes me want to tear my hair out. The J parts in both packages *are* compatible though, so at least I only have one version of J to contend with presently. (though having the J drone core from 1.8 Test in your 1.8 Test 4.01 parts folder will break the Arrow MkII Interplanetary Ship from the example craft). 

I'm not sure I can make both of the K-sizes I have on hand coexist peaceably in a single setup, as that would require changing the names of some parts to make sure you could tell them apart. It would also seriously break every existing ship if I did that.

What I can probably do is basically put up each collection of parts separately. Nu-J, Fat-K, Slim-K, the wings, and the engines. Pick which "K" you want, *don't* install the other...

Edited by Winchester

@Winchester If you can let me know exactly how to do this I am happy to give you a hand with the work and share the load. As for the multiple styles of K Parts, it might be possible to run both, I think most people will now have the K parts from 4.01 so we could rename the humpback k parts to H parts. I believe there is also 2 sets of J Parts (they may not be in the stuff we currently have and if that is the case then we don't need to worry). I want to help but I just don't know how to go about doing it properly. U;timately, if it means we get MORE ship parts to play with then renaming one of the K sets is a price we may be willing to pay. Call the taller K parts the H for humpback parts :P

Its truly a shame that @K.Yeon Kept scrapping his part designs, some of them have been truly amazing parts, this is why I hope we can get ALL of them working!

Edited by stali79