[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

1 minute ago, stali79 said:

@Winchester If you can let me know exactly how to do this I am happy to give you a hand with the work and share the load. As for the multiple styles of K Parts, it might be possible to run both, I think most people will now have the K parts from 4.01 so we could rename the humpback k parts to H parts. I believe there is also 2 sets of J Parts (they may not be in the stuff we currently have and if that is the case then we don't need to worry). 

I only have the 1.8 test releases, and the J parts from them all match, so that should at least not be a problem.

Changing the names of the parts? That might be trickier. If we're lucky, I should be able to change the file names and the plain text .cfg files and be good to go, if not we'll have to edit the .mu files, which are binary and require a special editor in order not to break when re-saved. I'm about to test it with a couple of parts right now. Wish me luck. :)

38 minutes ago, stali79 said:

I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you!!! I THINK my install was a culmination of 1.5 + 1.6 + 1.7 +1.8 (tests + legacy)

The good news is that hex editing is unnecessary, I only had to change the .cfg file and the file names. The bad news is, I need to comb through everything to find all the firespitter configurations because I appear to be missing a couple. Also, I haven't tried changing the folder names, so the L parts are still in the k_fuselage folder. But all the parts load, they have the "proper" names in the editor (I, J, K, and L); L has its own category in "sort by cross section" where all the parts can be found, and I think I can actually get everything working at this point.

There are a couple of parts that don't do anything when you right click them right now, but I should be able to fix that, I think it's due to a missing entry in the firespitter config, or possibly a miss-spelled part name somewhere. 

Also, I'm seriously considering adding a module for Mechjeb to all the big cockpits, so that if Mechjeb is installed on your KSP, it will be automatically included in any craft you build that starts with an OPT cockpit, without needing to track down the damned extra part... :)

1 minute ago, Winchester said:

The good news is that hex editing is unnecessary, I only had to change the .cfg file and the file names. The bad news is, I need to comb through everything to find all the firespitter configurations because I appear to be missing a couple. Also, I haven't tried changing the folder names, so the L parts are still in the k_fuselage folder. But all the parts load, they have the "proper" names in the editor (I, J, K, and L); L has its own category in "sort by cross section" where all the parts can be found, and I think I can actually get everything working at this point.

There are a couple of parts that don't do anything when you right click them right now, but I should be able to fix that, I think it's due to a missing entry in the firespitter config, or possibly a miss-spelled part name somewhere. 

Also, I'm seriously considering adding a module for Mechjeb to all the big cockpits, so that if Mechjeb is installed on your KSP, it will be automatically included in any craft you build that starts with an OPT cockpit, without needing to track down the damned extra part... :)

Awesome. I just tried to do something similar with little success. I think the Stock Plugins mod covers the mechjeb issue. 

5 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Awesome. I just tried to do something similar with little success. I think the Stock Plugins mod covers the mechjeb issue. 

If your pack really does still contain all the files for 1.5-1.7, I should be able to fish out a few more parts from there (like the cockpits that are still missing) and get them working. Will see how far I get before I fall asleep, it's 4 AM here. :)

28 minutes ago, Winchester said:

If your pack really does still contain all the files for 1.5-1.7, I should be able to fish out a few more parts from there (like the cockpits that are still missing) and get them working. Will see how far I get before I fall asleep, it's 4 AM here. :)

Its possible but I am not 100% sure. Go to sleep mate, plenty of time to work on this tomorrow!

OPT 1.6.9

OPT 1.6

Edited by stali79

35 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Its possible but I am not 100% sure. Go to sleep mate, plenty of time to work on this tomorrow!

Working on this because I can't sleep. :)

Got the original cockpits (three 2.5 m pits and the OPT Mk2 cockpit) working now, and there are now FS configs for nearly all the parts:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70565045/KSP/OPT_1.8plus_v1.7z

This is basically 1.8 Test 4.01 "plus", with the missing J Docking Port,  J Short Aerodynamic tail, and "Fat K" parts (now renamed L) from 1.8 Test 1, and all the small cockpits (no J or K pits) from "early" OPT - the ones that were in the last big video review, basically. I also added the two Mk2 profile engines (the short and long ones).

I did *not* add the landing gear, as K.Yeon himself moved on to the Adjustable Landing Gears mod (which is much much better). 

I may have broken a few saved designs because I had to fix a few naming errors and I may have fixed them the wrong way. (things like parts being named differently from their filenames, etc). If that happens, please remember that this a very much cobbled together release trying to cram as much of K.yeon's work as can be made to work together into a single package, and compromises had to be made somewhere....

Parts are still spread out all over the place in the parts directory, and I know not everything has an FS config right now (notably those cockpits, but they have built in resources). It looks like I'll be able to change what parts go in which directory, but I don't know if that'll break anything further.

Also, based on what I've managed to do so far, it should be possible to get the old-J and old-K parts working as well, but I can't find any downloads for 1.7 or earlier at the moment - and I would have to change the names of all the old parts in order to get them to run side by side with the new ones. It can be done though, just get me a download link. :)

5 minutes ago, Winchester said:

It can be done though, just get me a download link.

1 hour ago, stali79 said:

OPT 1.6.9

OPT 1.6

Hope this helps.

Also, take as much time as you need. Getting it done fast is not as important as getting it done right; which, in turn, is certainly not nearly as important as taking care of yourself with such novelties as "a good night's sleep" and "a hearty breakfast."

Edited by King Something

Coming along really well @Winchester, so we now have the old K parts alongside the new ones in addition to the humpback parts. I would suggest naming the old K parts to A parts (the shuttle from avatar did inspire him for the cockpit after all). Then we just need to get the new J parts working alongside the old ones. I might look into writing some descriptions to flesh out the parts somewhat.

EDIT 1: On a side note, we MAY want to consider altering the IFS patches somewhat. One thing that has bugged me for a while now is the differences in LF only and LFO capacities when you switch parts. As an example the NEW 6m K tank has a weight of 4.7t and no fuel. The first option then has 3510LF and 22t, second option has 2340LF 2860LFO and 30.7t weight. For me the LF only capacity for parts seems to be less than they should be, I could be completely wrong though in thinking this seems odd.

EDIT 2: We may also want to completely remove the old K Cargo bay tail as it never opened anyway and essentially did nothing.

Edited by stali79

2 hours ago, stali79 said:

. For me the LF only capacity for parts seems to be less than they should be, I could be completely wrong though in thinking this seems odd.

Historically, KSP tanks that have LF only are airplane fuselage parts and their design prioritized increased structural integrity and mass at a cost to fuel tankage.

My guess is that K.Yeon assigned resource amounts based on existing KSP parts but not the mass and structural differences. (though the fuel switcher does allow for varying masses, I think, but not altered structural properties)

3 hours ago, stali79 said:

Coming along really well @Winchester, so we now have the old K parts alongside the new ones in addition to the humpback parts. I would suggest naming the old K parts to A parts (the shuttle from avatar did inspire him for the cockpit after all). Then we just need to get the new J parts working alongside the old ones. I might look into writing some descriptions to flesh out the parts somewhat.

EDIT 1: On a side note, we MAY want to consider altering the IFS patches somewhat. One thing that has bugged me for a while now is the differences in LF only and LFO capacities when you switch parts. As an example the NEW 6m K tank has a weight of 4.7t and no fuel. The first option then has 3510LF and 22t, second option has 2340LF 2860LFO and 30.7t weight. For me the LF only capacity for parts seems to be less than they should be, I could be completely wrong though in thinking this seems odd.

EDIT 2: We may also want to completely remove the old K Cargo bay tail as it never opened anyway and essentially did nothing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70565045/KSP/OPT_1.8plus_v2.7z

Have added the old K parts, with your suggested name of A (actually OPT A, since the cross section filter keeps trapping things it shouldn't if you use just a single letter like K.Yeon did), and most of the old J parts under the name OPT B. I kind of feel like there are bits missing, there were no crew tanks or anything. 

A lot of these older parts had the FS config built into the main part config, so I didn't have to chase all over creation to paste them into the module manager config thing, which was nice. Makes handling parts much easier, so why did K.Yeon start dumping them all in a single file for the later releases?

Also included are a pair of Mk3 cockpits that were in 1.6.9.

Anyway, altering the fuel switcher patches can be someone else's job. I know how to get things to work in the first place, tweaking is for people who actually *fly* space planes as opposed to ooh and aah over how pretty they look, like I do... (there's my major motivation for getting all this work done in a nutshell - the more parts you guys who actually build and fly things have available, the prettier the designs can be, and the more enjoyment I get out of living vicariously through you guys...)

@Winchester and @stali79, thank you for your hard work and dedication. I am anxiously awaiting the official 1.1 release of this mod for a project I have planned.

Modder burn out is becoming more and more prevalent lately. Many mods I have used in the past are languishing in antiquity right now. I completely understand the reasons behind this - Squad constantly updating the game and breaking stuff in the process (game elements on which the mods depend to work), real life happens resulting in development grinding to a halt, and modders just plain getting fed up, bored, or whatever. 

Kudos to those who take up the torch for those who have burned out. It is truly a noble task.

2 hours ago, neamerjell said:

@Winchester and @stali79, thank you for your hard work and dedication. I am anxiously awaiting the official 1.1 release of this mod for a project I have planned.

Modder burn out is becoming more and more prevalent lately. Many mods I have used in the past are languishing in antiquity right now. I completely understand the reasons behind this - Squad constantly updating the game and breaking stuff in the process (game elements on which the mods depend to work), real life happens resulting in development grinding to a halt, and modders just plain getting fed up, bored, or whatever. 

Kudos to those who take up the torch for those who have burned out. It is truly a noble task.

So the original author is burnt out/isn't updating?

Haven't been following this thread, but this is a must have mod tbh

11 minutes ago, DespairingSquid said:

So the original author is burnt out/isn't updating?

Haven't been following this thread, but this is a must have mod tbh

He is overseas for work and wont be back for a few months. We are just working to maintain his mod and consolidate some of his scrapped parts into a single package.

10 hours ago, Winchester said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70565045/KSP/OPT_1.8plus_v2.7z

Have added the old K parts, with your suggested name of A (actually OPT A, since the cross section filter keeps trapping things it shouldn't if you use just a single letter like K.Yeon did), and most of the old J parts under the name OPT B. I kind of feel like there are bits missing, there were no crew tanks or anything. 

A lot of these older parts had the FS config built into the main part config, so I didn't have to chase all over creation to paste them into the module manager config thing, which was nice. Makes handling parts much easier, so why did K.Yeon start dumping them all in a single file for the later releases?

Also included are a pair of Mk3 cockpits that were in 1.6.9.

Anyway, altering the fuel switcher patches can be someone else's job. I know how to get things to work in the first place, tweaking is for people who actually *fly* space planes as opposed to ooh and aah over how pretty they look, like I do... (there's my major motivation for getting all this work done in a nutshell - the more parts you guys who actually build and fly things have available, the prettier the designs can be, and the more enjoyment I get out of living vicariously through you guys...)

One of the two OPT Mk3 cockpits doesn't work. It has the exact same exterior as the other, but has no seats and doesn't count as a control module.

Also the OPT A cargo ramp has the same model as the OPT A bicoupler but a different lift value. I haven't noticed any other duplicates like this, though, just the parts I mentioned here.

Some of the cockpits have IVAs, some have just a plain black screen as their interior "view" and some (including but not limited to the Mk2 cockpit) have no IVA whatsoever. When building a vehicle that consists of nothing at all except for that one part, the engineer's warning will include the "hatch obstructed" fault -- I saw this and was all like "What. The actual. Intercourse." when trying to give it a test drive, and couldn't have the crew exit the cab on EVA. There are other crewable parts with no IVA and they should be at least given the plain black placeholder IVAs, but the control modules need to be fixed first in this regard (crew parts with placeholder IVAs can get "proper" IVAs later on, and parts that already have proper IVAs can get RPM/ASET props after that, but making the parts work should definitely come before making the parts aesthetically pleasing)

The engines, wings and control surfaces work, insofar as I could test them given my not-quite-legendary skill in getting the "flying" part of "heavier-than-air flying machine" right.

I've been keeping track of this thread through my emails, and I have to say the work being done is impressive!

Is it at all recommended to plug the latest link into 1.1.1? Or is this exclusively 1.0.5 due to the plugins?

Oh yeah! This was literally the only thing still missing that I was waiting for, before starting a 1.1 career. Great work guys, it seems good mods really can't die :)

@Steel Dragon some of the stuff you have on those planes look interesting, can you help me out identifying them? From the small plane, I'm interested in the underwing pods and the main engines. From the large one, the cockpit / body / cargo bay area. What mods are those from?

13 minutes ago, Ohm Machre said:

I've been keeping track of this thread through my emails, and I have to say the work being done is impressive!

Is it at all recommended to plug the latest link into 1.1.1? Or is this exclusively 1.0.5 due to the plugins?

It works in KSP 1.1.

The latest version that Winchester linked to a few posts above yours is an unofficial compilation of the general majority of the various OPT parts from v1.6, v1.7 and v1.8, except for the landing gears and possibly some other parts. Some of the parts had to be renamed due to multiple different sizes having the same names in the original versions -- the OPT A, OPT K and OPT L parts all used to be called OPT K in various previous official versions of the mod published by K.Yeon; the parts now called OPT B were once called OPT J.

It might work in KSP 1.0.5, it might not; but it will almost certainly break any vessels with OPT parts due to the name changes, file location changes, and other changes.

3 minutes ago, King Something said:

It works in KSP 1.1.

The latest version that Winchester linked to a few posts above yours is an unofficial compilation of the general majority of the various OPT parts from v1.6, v1.7 and v1.8, except for the landing gears and possibly some other parts. Some of the parts had to be renamed due to multiple different sizes having the same names in the original versions -- the OPT A, OPT K and OPT L parts all used to be called OPT K in various previous official versions of the mod published by K.Yeon; the parts now called OPT B were once called OPT J.

It might work in KSP 1.0.5, it might not; but it will almost certainly break any vessels with OPT parts due to the name changes, file location changes, and other changes.

Okay, cool! Long as they work in 1.1.1, I am a happy person. :D

26 minutes ago, OctarineNoise said:

Oh yeah! This was literally the only thing still missing that I was waiting for, before starting a 1.1 career. Great work guys, it seems good mods really can't die :)

@Steel Dragon some of the stuff you have on those planes look interesting, can you help me out identifying them? From the small plane, I'm interested in the underwing pods and the main engines. From the large one, the cockpit / body / cargo bay area. What mods are those from?

I see the Mk4 Parts mod for sure -- the oversized chassis, the 2.5m engines and the wing-mounted dual 1.25m engine mounts are from that mod. Also available in that mod, but not pictured in that post, are triple 1.25m engine mounts.

I can't tell if there are parts from other mods in that set of pics (other than OPT)

1 hour ago, King Something said:

One of the two OPT Mk3 cockpits doesn't work. It has the exact same exterior as the other, but has no seats and doesn't count as a control module.

Also the OPT A cargo ramp has the same model as the OPT A bicoupler but a different lift value. I haven't noticed any other duplicates like this, though, just the parts I mentioned here.

Some of the cockpits have IVAs, some have just a plain black screen as their interior "view" and some (including but not limited to the Mk2 cockpit) have no IVA whatsoever. When building a vehicle that consists of nothing at all except for that one part, the engineer's warning will include the "hatch obstructed" fault -- I saw this and was all like "What. The actual. Intercourse." when trying to give it a test drive, and couldn't have the crew exit the cab on EVA. There are other crewable parts with no IVA and they should be at least given the plain black placeholder IVAs, but the control modules need to be fixed first in this regard (crew parts with placeholder IVAs can get "proper" IVAs later on, and parts that already have proper IVAs can get RPM/ASET props after that, but making the parts work should definitely come before making the parts aesthetically pleasing)

The engines, wings and control surfaces work, insofar as I could test them given my not-quite-legendary skill in getting the "flying" part of "heavier-than-air flying machine" right.

I don't know what's up with the Mk 3 pits, I was surprised as well that they looked identical other than the lights being lit on one of them. 

The IVA thing is a model issue, and I can't do anything about those right now. 

Control modules are a matter of rewriting the part cfg for the newest formats, which is going to be difficult and time consuming, I suspect the easiest way of doing it would be to take the config for one of the actual working parts in roughly the right size, and replace all the values with the corresponding ones from one of the parts that don't work, like crew capacity and weight and whatever. I'm going to be too busy with RL this week to spend any serious time sorting this, so if anyone else wants to give it a go, be my guest.

Also, regarding the hatch obstructed issue, check that the hatch isn't on the bottom of the craft... :)

As it is, my part in this is basically mostly to get the game to load the parts without conflicts. I figure it can be someone else's problem to actually make them *work* properly.

Also, I hear you about the not-quite-legendary skill - I can build a flying SSTO just fine, even build one that makes orbit with oodles of delta-V, but don't ask me to land one. It never works. 

12 hours ago, neamerjell said:

No need to thank me mate, I tried to do what @Winchester is doing and failed miserably, my only real contribution is hunting down the old 1.6 and 1.6.9 releases. Winchester is the real hero in this story.