[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

11 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

That... omg...  /slapself that's the Avatar class!! 

Would you please upload the craft file when you are done? and a lit of the mods used :)

13 hours ago, degenerate said:

In too bad shape to do math at the moment, I keep telling myself the engine nacelle and the dark drive are futuristic inventions which fits my space program perfectly :)

Would love to see your Avatar shuttle when it's done, loved that movie! :D

Well, I was told that this plane looked roughly like the shuttle, although that wasn't my intent at the time, since I hadn't seen the movie yet... But here's the KerbalX link: 

https://kerbalx.com/Mycroft_33/Zephyr-One 

This was actually intended to be reminiscent of the SHIELD Season two 'Zephyr One', but I did use the avatar class cockpit, so I dunno.

D5CP2YX.jpg 

It is a VTOL, like both Zephyr One and the shuttle, but the VTOL is touchy, so be careful.

FWhD4lR.jpg

It can fly at speeds of around Mach four, allowing it to circumvent Kerbin.

NHSuPWC.jpg

And because of a great little mod, it can go invisible! I thought that was cool.

Kerbalx has a mod list, as well as a download link. Enjoy! 

Off to try to make an actual model of it... Tomorrow...

Well, after I finish my Intercontinental Ballistic Defense System.

here are some helpful things i guess...

1. the divas don't work and there is a strange cockpit interior that has decided to merge with the SPH and the VAB floors.....

2. the crew hatches don't work.

3. there is an odd bug where the space craft is completely see-through and the shadowing on some parts has a seizure.

on the other hand...

1. everything is balanced, well done.

2. all the parts don't kill each other.

2. i like the look of some of the new things, I have an idea though, why not try to bring in some ideas from the drop-ships and other space planes from AVATAR? its a great movie and I think you will find some good ideas maybe for rotor blade engines or big cargo VTOL engines maybe.

Now, I'm not saying you should do this, but could you please try to do some small 1m parts or 0.625 probes? i like the big parts very much, but i really would like it if you could think about doing a selection of small parts and vtol parts. it would be really fun to muck around with small parts on planets and things......

cheers.

Snow

8 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Well, I was told that this plane looked roughly like the shuttle, although that wasn't my intent at the time, since I hadn't seen the movie yet... But here's the KerbalX link: 

@Mycroft AWESOME!! I took your shuttle and using Notepad++, I used find and replace to fix the .craft file so it works with the new OPT, then I very very slightly (pretty much unnoticeable) tweaked the main wing placement and slightly rotated a couple of the MK2 engines (so they didn't heat nearby parts) 

oh and I removed the cloak in the file, sorry didn't have this mod.

I should have captured my maiden flight with it... it was very very nice. VTOL to about only 150m, full forward power, cut VTOL engines at 180ms @ about 500m up, 20° ascent to apoapse of 80km, circularize, deorbit burn and flew to KSC and touched down on the runway.... then couldn't stop and went off the end of the runway and blew it to a million pieces LOL!!

The Kurgan likes your Shuttle. 

You want the updated .craft file?

Oh, btw I fly with FAR and it still worked perfectly.

Edited by TheKurgan

2 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Oh, btw I fly with FAR and it still worked perfectly.

Do I want it? Heck yeah! I've always wanted to have it compatible with 1.1.3! I just didn't want to rebuild it. I would love to see the tweaks you've made to it! I might put it up on KerbalX (re-adding the cloaking), and if I do, I'll be sure to give you full credit for the adjustments. 

2 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

@Mycroft AWESOME!! I took your shuttle and using Notepad++, I used find and replace to fix the .craft file so it works with the new OPT, then I very very slightly (pretty much unnoticeable) tweaked the main wing placement and slightly rotated a couple of the MK2 engines (so they didn't heat nearby parts) 

oh and I removed the cloak in the file, sorry didn't have this mod.

I should have captured my maiden flight with it... it was very very nice. VTOL to about only 150m, full forward power, cut VTOL engines at 180ms @ about 500m up, 20° ascent to apoapse of 80km, circularize, deorbit burn and flew to KSC and touched down on the runway.... then couldn't stop and went off the end of the runway and blew it to a million pieces LOL!!

Ya know, something funny, the Zephyr One was actually never intended to go to orbit. But when I had to add those boosters on the back, for a little extra power, I thought "Why not try for orbit? I mean those are rockets on the back. It's got a ton of fuel..." So, I actually managed to make orbit, with a tiny bit of fuel left, just enough to deorbit (I'm not really good at efficiently flying spaceplanes) and that was when I discovered that the small rockets on the back were intended for use in the atmosphere, and had abysmal vacuum isp. After that, I just used it for long-distance flights on Kerbin. I mean, I have other OPT Space planes designed for use in orbit, that have like 13,000 m/s of Delta-v left after achieving orbit. I'm really happy you liked it. 

Edited by Mycroft

So I installed CKAN which was suggested to help install this mod, and it's not finding it. How should I go about getting CKAN to recognize this mod, for installing purposes? Seems a whole lot better to use CKAN to keep my mods updated, than the simplistic KSP AVC

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

5 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Oh, btw I fly with FAR and it still worked perfectly.

Do I want it? Heck yeah! I've always wanted to have it compatible with 1.1.3!

Zephyr One

Updated to 1.13, all OPT parts in the .craft file renamed to make it compatible, tested in FAR... awesome craft Mycroft!! thanks for sharing!

Edited by TheKurgan

I'm getting good at fixing Ships by modifying the craft files with Notepad++ It's not hard, you can remove parts, rename parts... this is how I saved all my space planes when OPT's part naming changed. I've also modded the .cfg file for OPT in my Tweakscale folder to get the functionality back. 

57 minutes ago, Somtaaw said:

So I installed CKAN...

/shiver 

I dislike CKAN, it messed up my mods several times... then I dumped it. Just my personal opinion, do all your mods manually and use AVC to help notify you when a mod is outdated.

32 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

/shiver 

I dislike CKAN, it messed up my mods several times... then I dumped it. Just my personal opinion, do all your mods manually and use AVC to help notify you when a mod is outdated.

Yeah I'm not super impressed by CKAN, it seems like a [very] cheap "wannabe" knockoff of say Curse for WoW, or Nexus Mod Manager for Fallouts n stuff. The idea is great, but the actual implementation leaves alot to be desired. I'll try a manual install, and hopefully it won't mess with my saves, but on the plus side at least right now virtually everything I have in flight is purely stock.

1 minute ago, Somtaaw said:

hopefully it won't mess with my saves

I backup my save file every few days, I have about 50 flights out right now (bases, satellites, ships, rovers... etc...) I would literally cry if I lost it all.

Make a copy of your persistent file, my best advice.

4 hours ago, Somtaaw said:

So I installed CKAN which was suggested to help install this mod, and it's not finding it. How should I go about getting CKAN to recognize this mod, for installing purposes? Seems a whole lot better to use CKAN to keep my mods updated, than the simplistic KSP AVC

OPT is not on CKAN

so, some ideas for future parts: (just suggestions, requests is not the right word, sooooooo....helpful options for the future?)

- inline hollow VTOL for avatar class

- radial VTOL

- some mk 1 parts

- more engine mounts!

- expansions to Juno class and Kraken class please

- more radial parts, can be anything... batteries, crew compartments,etc.

- try some mobile hangars!

13 hours ago, stali79 said:

OPT is not on CKAN

Original Post, and the spacedock link both indicate it is on CKAN. I have only just discovered this set of mod parts, so acting like everybody knows it's not on CKAN isn't helpful at all, when evidence suggested otherwise.

I'm not even sure if the download link the original post is valid for current versions of KSP, as it's also stated in OP that the author has taken a break and others are handling the mod, so if there's different download links.... where are they? Veteran OPTers may know, but a wannabe newb OPTers isn't going to know the same things.

2 minutes ago, Somtaaw said:

Original Post, and the spacedock link both indicate it is on CKAN. I have only just discovered this set of mod parts, so acting like everybody knows it's not on CKAN isn't helpful at all, when evidence suggested otherwise.

I'm not even sure if the download link the original post is valid for current versions of KSP, as it's also stated in OP that the author has taken a break and others are handling the mod, so if there's different download links.... where are they? Veteran OPTers may know, but a wannabe newb OPTers isn't going to know the same things.

As far as i know the last version that was put on CKAN ws 1.6 so i believe the OP stopped ckan support then. As for links, the links are in the OP. The link it shows goes to the OPT Spacedock page and has done for months.

>>> NOTICE <<<

This mod is currently NOT in development and will be put on halt for quite a while.
However community member @stali79 and @Winchester have worked hard to maintain and update this mod
here are the latest download link from them:

SpaceDock:

http://spacedock.info/mod/711/Orbit%20Portal%20Technology%20%5BOPT%5D%20Spaceplane%20Parts

Note that the release from them are a compilation of OPTv1.6-v1.8. So there will be older parts and they are renamed

2 minutes ago, stali79 said:

As far as i know the last version that was put on CKAN ws 1.6 so i believe the OP stopped ckan support then. As for links, the links are in the OP. The link it shows goes to the OPT Spacedock page and has done for months.

Again.... acting like only total morons could possibly be mistaken dude. Just because YOU are an OPT veteran who's well experienced and know this mod forward and backwards, doesn't mean everybody else is. I was unsure, and double-checking, because the OP link to spacedock didn't look to be right, downloaded it and it says it's version 1.8.5.1.... the game isn't even to version 1.1.2 officially yet. Which means that the mod is operating under another manner of naming, which means an FNG like myself has to ask first, or risk screwing up my game because we leap before asking.

2 minutes ago, Somtaaw said:

Again.... acting like only total morons could possibly be mistaken dude. Just because YOU are an OPT veteran who's well experienced and know this mod forward and backwards, doesn't mean everybody else is. I was unsure, and double-checking, because the OP link to spacedock didn't look to be right, downloaded it and it says it's version 1.8.5.1.... the game isn't even to version 1.1.2 officially yet. Which means that the mod is operating under another manner of naming, which means an FNG like myself has to ask first, or risk screwing up my game because we leap before asking.

Ummm so mods have to have the same version number as the game? Hmm i must correct this!

Sorry dude if you look at the spacedock page it shows the MOD version 1.8.5.1 is for GAME version 1.1.3

1 hour ago, Somtaaw said:

acting like everybody knows it's not on CKAN isn't helpful at all

1 hour ago, Somtaaw said:

Again.... acting like only total morons could possibly be mistaken dude

Would you please be so kind and stop accusing people of doing things they aren't. He was simply giving the necessary information. " OPT is not on CKAN " is pretty much an as neutral and straight forward answer as you can get. You asked/were confused. He answered/explained. He isn't acting in one way or another, so there is no need being rude to someone who is trying to help.

4 hours ago, Somtaaw said:

Not cool dude the guys maintaining this aren't even the original authors say thankyou and keep the snark to yourself.

6 hours ago, Sresk said:

Not cool dude the guys maintaining this aren't even the original authors say thankyou and keep the snark to yourself.

9 hours ago, Spanksh said:

Would you please be so kind and stop accusing people of doing things they aren't. He was simply giving the necessary information. " OPT is not on CKAN " is pretty much an as neutral and straight forward answer as you can get. You asked/were confused. He answered/explained. He isn't acting in one way or another, so there is no need being rude to someone who is trying to help.

Considering my reaction is due to his 5 word response of it not being on CKAN, despite the whole first post being really unclear, I feel justified in being a little defensive. 5 words does not explain anything at all, but it most certainly gives an impression of "how could anyone be this stupid?" Short and blunt responses are not helpful, especially when it's only 5 words like so:

On 10/1/2016 at 7:11 PM, stali79 said:

OPT is not on CKAN

However, since you lot are all liking each other's posts, and reinforcing the "bash the dumb noob who dared question the glory of OPT" comments without actually looking at the full conversation, I shall bid you all farewell, clearly this mod is not for me. I'll go drop a like for the OP on my way out, since the original mod seemed what I needed. Cheers folks, hopefully you'll treat the next poor FNG better than you did me :)

Edit: Kurgan though seems a nice chap, answered the question without being blunt. Helpful and answered my original question, without it coming across as hostile. Kudos to him for actually being friendly

Edited by Somtaaw
thanking Kurgan

15 minutes ago, Somtaaw said:

Considering my reaction is due to his 5 word response of it not being on CKAN, despite the whole first post being really unclear, I feel justified in being a little defensive. 5 words does not explain anything at all, but it most certainly gives an impression of "how could anyone be this stupid?" Short and blunt responses are not helpful, especially when it's only 5 words like so:

However, since you lot are all liking each other's posts, and reinforcing the "bash the dumb noob who dared question the glory of OPT" comments without actually looking at the full conversation, I shall bid you all farewell, clearly this mod is not for me. I'll go drop a like for the OP on my way out, since the original mod seemed what I needed. Cheers folks, hopefully you'll treat the next poor FNG better than you did me :)

Edit: Kurgan though seems a nice chap, answered the question without being blunt. Helpful and answered my original question, without it coming across as hostile. Kudos to him for actually being friendly

Dude, this isn't a 'bash the dumb noob' thing. A question was asked and I gave the answer. I am sorry if you felt that my 5 word response was antagonistic as it wasn't. I gave the short answer to your question.  Would you have rather I had said "yes and no to it being on CKAN, the yes in that its a VERY old version but no because the newer versions have not been put on CKAN".  I know that I can seem short and blunt but thats an autism thing. If a question is asked, then I answer it in a short and concise manner. I am curious to know though what got you under the impression that the Mod version number had to be the same as the game version?  The OP has ALWAYS had the link to the most up to date download of the mod and it always will, every mod does this.  I hope this clears up your confusions.

I understand where you are coming from and I understand their standpoint as well. 

As for reading the whole conversation, I did. You did continue to be passive agressive AFTER I had given you more detailed information, as well as copy/ paste a section of the OP. in the post where I did that I gave you detailed information about the version on CKAN being an old one, AND the section I pasted clearly stated that the latest download link was the spacedock one.  After that point I really don't understand why you were still confused and I am trying to understand what your confusion was from that point on.

Edited by stali79

I msged him, I don't want to see a new guy miss out on one of thee best KSP mods just because of a misconstrued forum post.

oooohh  big word of the day "Misconstrued" I had to google the spelling LOL!!!

Edited by TheKurgan

I'm afraid I'm not as patient. I've seen this kind of entitled nonsense before, it's one of the reasons I got out of modding for Freelancer and Paul shouldn't be apologizing because his answer to a question with an obvious answer, wasn't obsequious enough.

12 minutes ago, M_Ouellette said:

obsequious

NICE ONE!!

I agree with you, but I just felt I had to. 

I enjoy this mod sooo much, I didn't want to see someone miss out on it.

Edited by TheKurgan

1 minute ago, stali79 said:

Yet i feel like the bad guy in this.

Don't, you're not. People need to get that you and everyone who is working on this is doing it for free, for the love of the game, this mod and in some ways the community. Too often Iv'e seen this kind of behavior, people bringing attitude and demands and forgetting they are not paying for the right to do it. Once in a while it doesn't hurt to remind them.