[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

10 minutes ago, stali79 said:

You are better off hunting down on spacedock the TGOL vtol engines. They are what i use. Am typing from my phone so cant give a link at this point.

And ruin the look of this little beauty? Nah lol I'd rather use the OPT engine.

I figured it out :wink: 

Thanks Stali, I downloaded those engines to give them a try as well.

Cheers

CibXm9J.jpg

Edited by TheKurgan

53 minutes ago, Sresk said:

Hmm ok seems to have helped with the drag from inside the cargo bays is it normal for things to still over heat inside cargo bays? Is that a ksp problem or an OPT problem?

@Spanksh - can you take a look and see what may be causing this?

56 minutes ago, Sresk said:

Hmm ok seems to have helped with the drag from inside the cargo bays is it normal for things to still over heat inside cargo bays? Is that a ksp problem or an OPT problem?

You using FAR?

2 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

You using FAR?

Yeah I had wanted to try it again but as soon as I turned off FAR the problem went away... its a darn shame becuase I like the drag model better but oh well I can live without FAR. I can't live with broken cargo bays.

4 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I have a question for you guys.

One thing that I always disliked about the ARI/ARIE engines was the long spool-up time on these engines... it makes them hard to use in a vertical landing situation. I was looking through the config files and I'm trying to figure out what determines this "spool-up" is it the line that says "useEngineResponseTime = True"? I know this is possibly a balancing thing, but I would like to change it for my own personal use.

I had changed it in the older ARI engine config file, but now I can't remember how to do it.

Thanks

I used to dislike the ARI engine but I believe the reason it spools is because it's made to have increased efficiency in atmosphere like a jet engine. Its Isp is 900+ ASL but 340 Vac. I also write it off to OPT's design principles as a company, the same principles that lead to the Dark Drive... That aside, I know your pain very well. My Big Boy lander has ARI engines for feet but I can't fathom doing a vertical landing, in vacuum, with "space jet" engines. :(

@stali79 I was informed that the Humpback series is/has been removed? Is this true?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar, I'm not panicking about the L-series. What I told you came from what I last heard from @stali79, that the L-series was going away for the 1.8.5.x update, and also from the fact that they are absent from 1.8.5.1. I would love to be wrong, and I haven't gotten to download the latest version since my computer problems are rampant lately. So now I'm curious. The impression I got from Stali was that few used the L-series, so it was going for good. Am I misinterpreting this? I hope so, for the sake of my cargo spaceplanes. About the ARI-75b, I always use them for VTOL as they have an awesome particle effect. It looks seriously cool, and I love how they sound. It's so tempting to use them for vacuum, but it destroys Delta-V. I've always loved how pretty OPT engines are, and how frikin awesome they sound. Especially the scramjets! 

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

@JadeOfMaar, I'm not panicking about the L-series. What I told you came from what I last heard from @stali79, that the L-series was going away for the 1.8.5.x update, and also from the fact that they are absent from 1.8.5.1. I would love to be wrong, and I haven't gotten to download the latest version since my computer problems are rampant lately. So now I'm curious. The impression I got from Stali was that few used the L-series, so it was going for good. Am I misinterpreting this? I hope so, for the sake of my cargo spaceplanes. About the ARI-75b, I always use them for VTOL as they have an awesome particle effect. It looks seriously cool, and I love how they sound. It's so tempting to use them for vacuum, but it destroys Delta-V. I've always loved how pretty OPT engines are, and how frikin awesome they sound. Especially the scramjets! 

Which ones were the L series? Werent they renamed to humpback?

5 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Which ones were the L series? Werent they renamed to humpback?

This plane has what was called the L-series in 1.1.2 as the main fuselage: rQzck89.jpg

My main career cargo hauler. That fuselage system does not appear to be in the 1.8.5 update of the mod. 

Am I crazy?

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

This plane has what was called the L-series in 1.1.2 as the main fuselage: rQzck89.jpg

My main career cargo hauler. That fuselage system does not appear to be in the 1.8.5 update of the mod. 

Am I crazy?

Its there. Same with 1.8.6

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

You are better off hunting down on spacedock the TGOL vtol engines. They are what i use. Am typing from my phone so cant give a link at this point.

T.G.O.L. Engines can be found here 

Nevermind them being listed as for KSP1.1.2... they don't use custom plugins so they are more or less version independant. And i can vouch they work just as before even in KSP 1.2

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I used to dislike the ARI engine but I believe the reason it spools is because it's made to have increased efficiency in atmosphere like a jet engine. Its Isp is 900+ ASL but 340 Vac. I also write it off to OPT's design principles as a company, the same principles that lead to the Dark Drive... That aside, I know your pain very well. My Big Boy lander has ARI engines for feet but I can't fathom doing a vertical landing, in vacuum, with "space jet" engines. :(

@stali79 I was informed that the Humpback series is/has been removed? Is this true?

I've always used those engines (with the spool-up disabled) as landing engines for my smaller landers. For what I have, I just have not tried much else. What is a more efficient alternative?

Sorry if I'm a little off topic guys... but I just like hanging out with you fellers :P 

I just looked through all the engines I have in the 52 mods I have installed and I can't find an engine that meets these criteria better than an ARI-75b Tweaked to 1m:

1. must be... round (has to fit through the "Bun" lower stage from Dr Jebs Chop Shop mod)

2. must be 1.25m (or tweakable to 1.25m)

3. Must have better than 340 ISP in a vacuum. (that's the ISP of the ARI-75b engine)

4. Id like to have at least 120kn of thrust. (safety and suicide burns if necessary)

Any thoughts? I may be out to lunch here, and don't mind if you say so lol.

There's only one engine I have that even closely fits the bill. It's an aerospike and checks out everywhere but it's a Mk2 Linear Aerospike. Its ISP is 450, right above the OPT Aerospikes at 420.

From QuizTech Aerospace.

But here's my lander with ARI engines, and KER set to Kerbin atmo.

CwlWrsq.jpg

Hey guys just FYI on the latest update it looks like this bit of code:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 0
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupRadius = 4
        nodeOuterForeID = top
        nodeOuterAftID = bottom
        nodeInnerAftID = bottom2
        nodeInnerForeID = top2
    }

Got removed from the Stail cargo bay resulting it those bay have drag and heating effects inside them. I know the avatar cargo bay does have that, I haven't checked the rest of the cargo bays.