[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

My newest ship, the "Raven" , a Stail class SSTA, a pure science ship, just leaving Dres, on route to Eve.

My graphics are garbage... I had to remove Scatterer, EVE, SVE... I'm on a backup computer, my main machine is in for repairs.

k47May9.jpg

Edited by TheKurgan

1 hour ago, TheKurgan said:

@SreskI would really love to know this as well, have you tested it?

I haven't I should though. I can confirm that increasing the lookup radius does cut down on a lot of problems.

But I've been tweaking values so much I lust wanted to play a bit. 

4 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I think I want it!! You upload it yet?

Sorry, no. I should have enough time to upload tomorrow. And then I have two craft waiting to upload, my ICBDS (InterContinental Ballistic Defense System) and the Valkyrie Prototype.

Oh, so I went to open the Zephyr One, and it claimed that it had the following parts missing: 'opt.mk2.engine' and 'AAengine'.

I will be sure to tell you when I upload it, though.

9 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Sorry, no. I should have enough time to upload tomorrow. And then I have two craft waiting to upload, my ICBDS (InterContinental Ballistic Defense System) and the Valkyrie Prototype.

Oh, so I went to open the Zephyr One, and it claimed that it had the following parts missing: 'opt.mk2.engine' and 'AAengine'.

I will be sure to tell you when I upload it, though.

I'll have another look at the Zephyr,  and let you know. Did you take the TweakScale cfg file? 

Edited by TheKurgan

5 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

I'll have another look at the Zephyr,  and let you know. Did you take the TweakScale cfg file? 

Yes I did! Thank you! 

@stali79 perhaps you and @K.Yeon would consider adding it to the mod?

And about the link for Zephyr one, I'll check on it.

Ohhh!!! [bangs head against wall] I just realized! I don't have the newest version of OPT!! That would do it! 

Lemme just fix that...

I'm so SMRT!

About TweakScale support: my current configs are a bit of a mess because there seemed to be a lot of renaming and temporary stuff going on. I'll happily update the configs for the new packs once it is clear what will be in there. We can either leave them with TweakScale or distribute them with OPT, I'm fine either way.

If the legacy pack is meant to support the transition it might be a good idea to package the configs there, so they can fade away as people are moving over to the main pack.

Is it already clear how the final composition of those packs will be?

On 10/8/2016 at 9:10 PM, Mycroft said:

Okay, so there were no other mods I could use, so this morning I decided to charge ahead anyway, and make what I could with what I had. P-Wings worked great for making the right wing, and I found a good VTOL flip engine from the Mark two expansion pack. The only thing I lacked was a tail. I had everything I needed but that, so I put a fuselage in as a placeholder. (Note: @stali79, perhaps could we just get a plain 'Avatar' class tail? Cause that would not require much effort). Anyway, here are a few pictures, with a album link below: 

dxsaaUQ.jpg 

XJJUbnH.jpg

M2Nk5SD.jpg

FQG4EjC.jpg

YC8bcEP.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/M21zJ

It flies beautifully, and while the VTOL is a little hard to control, you can still VTOL after returning from orbit. Even with no tail, I like this plane.

What do you guys think?

Mycroft that is still my favorite version of the K, not just the two part cockpit but the fuselage as well. I liked the more bowed out sides, it made the thing look more aerodynamic and less like a box. Interesting interpretation, I like this design, of course the Movie version had some kind of weird atomic engines as the main drive (I'm assuming since they look like scaled down versions of the one on the planetary transport)

On 10/8/2016 at 8:10 PM, Mycroft said:

Okay, so there were no other mods I could use, so this morning I decided to charge ahead anyway, and make what I could with what I had. P-Wings worked great for making the right wing, and I found a good VTOL flip engine from the Mark two expansion pack. The only thing I lacked was a tail. I had everything I needed but that, so I put a fuselage in as a placeholder. (Note: @stali79, perhaps could we just get a plain 'Avatar' class tail? Cause that would not require much effort). Anyway, here are a few pictures, with a album link below: 

http://imgur.com/a/M21zJ

It flies beautifully, and while the VTOL is a little hard to control, you can still VTOL after returning from orbit. Even with no tail, I like this plane.

What do you guys think?

A little off topic, but Mycroft, what do you use for vertical take off and landing? I've been struggling to find a simple, easy to use mod for this. I've tried Throttle Controlled Avionics and others, but they seem to be confusing and often overkill. TCA seems like it would be great if it were vastly simplified to a 'hover' button. I'd also like something like this to do asymmetric engines  on ships.

On 10/8/2016 at 11:22 PM, K.Yeon said:

Hi everyone, I been away for half a year due to work, but I am continuing the development of this mod again!

I hope this announcement will help everyone to understand where this mod is going:

Welcome back K. Yeon! I do have one small request for the type J parts, if you could consider it for your list:

I'd like a short J to 2.5m adapter. Something like the J engine mount, with 4x 1.25m connections, but having a center-line 2.5m connector, and preferably, even shorter.

I like having parts like the Mk 2.5 parts from the B9 aerospace pack, where I can adapt back and forth between it and normal 2.5m parts in a short distance. It seems a bit superfluous with already having 2 J to 2.5m adapters, but they're both too long to be terribly useful other than as engine mounts or nose parts. 

1 hour ago, AmpCat said:

Welcome back K. Yeon! I do have one small request for the type J parts, if you could consider it for your list:

I'd like a short J to 2.5m adapter. Something like the J engine mount, with 4x 1.25m connections, but having a center-line 2.5m connector, and preferably, even shorter.

I like having parts like the Mk 2.5 parts from the B9 aerospace pack, where I can adapt back and forth between it and normal 2.5m parts in a short distance. It seems a bit superfluous with already having 2 J to 2.5m adapters, but they're both too long to be terribly useful other than as engine mounts or nose parts. 

Thanks for the suggestion, ill keep it noted! I had plans for very short J and K adapters in the past but forgotten about them:P I will be making mock up models and discussing about suggested new parts after 1.9 update.

4 hours ago, AmpCat said:

A little off topic, but Mycroft, what do you use for vertical take off and landing? I've been struggling to find a simple, easy to use mod for this. I've tried Throttle Controlled Avionics and others, but they seem to be confusing and often overkill. TCA seems like it would be great if it were vastly simplified to a 'hover' button. I'd also like something like this to do asymmetric engines  on ships.

For VTOL engines, I used some flip engines from the Mark 2 expansion pack. If you mean for a VTOL auto pilot, then I'm sorry, but I don't use any auto pilot mod. I downloaded TCA for 1.1.2, and it kept crashing my ships I could fly just fine on my own, so I just work with thrust balancing. Trouble is, some asymmetrical craft look cool, so I have developed a few inventive ways to hide engines. For example, on that shuttle model, I have an engine clipped into the cockpit in such a way that it only shows when it's extended into VTOL mode, and is hidden and deactivated when not in VTOL mode. I have to be sure my ships are balanced to a high degree of precision, and have plenty of reaction wheels clipped in somewhere. And flying them takes practice. But I do try to make sure that they are as easy to fly as possible. So, sorry to blow your hopes, but I don't do autopilots for anything.

4 hours ago, stali79 said:

TCA is brilliant for VTOL. You just have to know what the different modes are and what the engine profiles are.

Ooh. Now I wouldn't go that far. As I said above, from my experience, not only does it take a ton of time to learn the buttons, but the auto pilot is frankly quite stupid, and I watched it flailing the thrust limiters on engines that didn't need it, and doing zip on the ones that did. I'm sorry. I strongly disagree with that statement, and frankly it's easier and more rewarding to ballance your own VTOLs and take the time to learn how VTOLs like to be flown. I recommend starting out with a simple, easy VTOL like my Grasshopper and learning how to fly it. I moved on once I had landed it successfully atop the VAB. Once you master that, you can move on to making cooler and bigger ships. 

Anyway, that's my two cents on VTOL aircraft. I'm not the best pilot out there or anything, I just fly my own VTOLs on my own. You can take it or leave it, as you please.

Apologies for the side track.

OPT 1.8.6 Full now on spacedock, Contains latest firespitter and ModuleManager. This version incorporates several minor fixes as well as the updated categories to make parts compatible with 1.2....

EDIT: just annoying that spacedock has no 1.2 option available for setting game version.

Edited by stali79

if you have really freaky stuff tca can fly it. all the buttons are a bit much you just have to sit down with it and spend a few hours. there are youtube videos that are pretty good. i dont think it does the thrust limiters as much as it adjusts the intake side so the engine stays spooled up. 

6 minutes ago, airbrushmatt said:

Just build a simple ship out of OPT parts, When i go to the runway to test fly it the wheels fall though the floor and the body all slowly falls apart. Any ideas why ? 

Don't use the wheels at this point. they were only included so modders/modellers can see if they can fix the colliders.

10 hours ago, Flashblade said:

@K.Yeon Great to see you return. Would you do me a favor? Could you please not abandon the phoenix cockpit and instead finish it properly with lights and everything? I would totally appreciate that. And welcome back!!! :D

Can I second that?