[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

2 hours ago, Raideur Ng said:

Honestly, I would suggest the creator return to the original number of parts. It was perfectly fine and plenty for every use. The later versions just added needless duplication.

You're free to remove the parts you don't like from the OPT folder you know, would have taken you less time than you spent on this post eh mate

7 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Can I second that?

#ShiaLeBouf YES YOU CAN!

To celebrate the return I shall immediately reveal the current version of my flagship here when next I can open KSP, and reveal the rebuild/4th version (as promised anyway) when v1.9 and those new J utility parts come. :D

Actually these old screenshots that I managed to keep can suffice for the current version. Just ignore the USI life support parts. Its name is still undecided but the lesser craft is the Heavy Breath Figurehead SSTO, which is now obsolete because it's rather short on delta-V in space, and rather big next to its host. Made with mod v1.8.1.2.

QOtnJKu.jpg

eR8Bfqd.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 10/14/2016 at 4:14 PM, Flashblade said:

@K.Yeon Great to see you return. Would you do me a favor? Could you please not abandon the phoenix cockpit and instead finish it properly with lights and everything? I would totally appreciate that. And welcome back!!! :D

Yes the phoenix cockpit wont be abandoned, in fact it's my personal favorate design!

17 hours ago, Raideur Ng said:

Honestly, I would suggest the creator return to the original number of parts. It was perfectly fine and plenty for every use. The later versions just added needless duplication.

Yes this is exactly where i am working towards! The duplication occurred when i created the newer version of J and K fuselage while not completely finished with converting old parts to fit the new fuselage.
The next update i aim provide a 'clean' and optimized mod with most of the old parts converted to newer versions.

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

eR8Bfqd.jpg

That is a good design you got there!

[Dev update]
Everything is going well and on schedule for the update at end of this month. This week i completed the conversion of all the J fuselage parts:
dUx6wwJ.png

As well as improving the old OPT's Mk2 cockpit to have new look and better views from IVA:
uGxenKi.png

Will be aiming to finish the 2.5m cockpits, K parts and IVAs next week, and some balancing and testing on the final week!

edit: mk2 cockpit in action!
H5V77Fj.png

Edited by K.Yeon

Just a question about the wings:

As each wing/winglet type get his own set of ailerons or elevons, why are ailerons and elevons not included in the wings or winglet ?

It would easier for building....

1 minute ago, gilflo said:

As each wing/winglet type get his own set of ailerons or elevons, why are ailerons and elevons not included in the wings or winglet ?

Unity only allows for 1 control surface per part. With the Wing C it has 2 ailerons which means you cant have different settings for them if they were part of the wing itself.

1 hour ago, gilflo said:

59 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Unity only allows for 1 control surface per part. With the Wing C it has 2 ailerons which means you cant have different settings for them if they were part of the wing itself.

This is right for the case for the C wing.

But the main reason is that the stock module (code) for combined wing and aileron is bad (it was when i made the wings and im pretty sure it still is the case).

Let me explain:
sV7WfXq.png 

^This is the correct model for the wing, when aileron move, the CoM of the wing (placed at CoM of the craft) act like the center of a seesaw causing the craft to pitch up or down. KSP simulates this perfectly when the wing and aileron is separated.

KvXMaQY.png

^This is the current stock model for combined wing and aileron: both lift from the wing and lift from the aileron is applied at the wing's Center of Mass. So when the aileron move, there won't be any seesaw action in this case (where CoM of the wing is the CoM of the craft).
So for wings such as the stock Big S tailfin which has it's aileron half way through the wing it's perfectly fine. But for OPT wings where the wings are much longer with it's ailerons sitting at the back it can cause problems.
Some problem this have caused in the past: The aileron moves in the opposite direction if the wing's CoM is placed more forward than the craft's CoM; Planes won't take off because of the case described in the picture.

Until the stock code is fixed, separating the aileron and wing is the best option.

You can observe this effect if you press 'f12' in game for aerodynamic overlay.

It will be interesting to see how the modified drag parameters handle vehicles with such sharp, supersonic-optimized profiles. As much as I love Nertea's Mk.4 pack, vehicles end up being whales with very large forward profiles. These pods scream go fast a bit harder though.

I would also caution against making anything overtly strong compared to stock, engines, pods, etc. One of the beauties of finely crafted mod packs is they seamlessly integrate into the stock game and do not have obvious advantages. I'm sure people would be happy to help balance parts so we end up with good numbers. I certainly would. Regardless, the hard work is appreciated and it's set to be the space-plane pack for 1.2, from the looks.

Already tried the 'Stail' in 1.2 and it flies like a dream. combination J61 and linear aerospike gets me into orbit, but only just. And not without some understanding of AoA, air pressure, Thrust vs ISP and knowing the proper climb profile. So in my opinion: not overpowered. Near future, but not impossible.

Re-creating the spaceplane with Juno parts now.... i'll try make some pics.

Since I started paying attention to aero overlays it disturbed me to no end that the old wings were seen as giant ailerons, but seeing that guide now it makes complete sense.

@jrodriguez I was introduced to this and B9 Aerospace at the same time but B9 was horribly broken then. OPT therefore grew on me like plants grow for Poison Ivy. :)

@K.Yeon Many thanks, but that design is going to get worlds better as you're on the ball again. :D Parts I needed,you're reviving them. And new ones that automatically have a place in the upgrade.

@Raideur Ng Your cautionary words spur an interesting chain of thoughts for me. I don't intend to bash but I'm particularly zealous for this mod, so I'd like to say sorry in advance if comes across that way.

I rather like that OPT parts are relatively OP (without being gigantic like in B9 HX) and that the overall theme, even the name, has a way-advanced, clearly sci-fi not-quite-for-everyone feel to it. Several other mods like Mk2 and Mk3 Stockalike Expansion fit the bill of being very stockalike and having a few "obvious advantages" super-powered parts but not being famous just for them. OPT's problem, if any, is that anyone who merely knows the name of this mod probably knows about the Dark Drive and the J-61 Mk2 turboramjet and will get lazy with those or have the mod banned from a challenge submission.

On the other hand, Mk2 and Mk3 Stockalike Expansion also have engines with comparable might to OPT's own. No one seems to know about Mk2 Expansion's equivalents of the stock Vector or Rapier engines, Mk3 Expansion's equivalent of the Rapier, either mod's atomic engines, or the scramjet that only just gets started where most other air engines would start to die, and can raise a craft's apoapsis by leaps and bounds while still in atmosphere.

As for my argument: not everyone wants to jam-pack sets of several merely-fancier-looking stock-level engines into a craft and deal with part count/haul hundreds of tons of fuel to get a mission done. But even an SSTO built with only OPT engines, and hopes to go past Mun (or in some cases, even hopes to get out of Kerbin's atmosphere) already still needs to have a lot of engines. Even a fully loaded Mk IV spaceplane would need to have a good few OPT engines bolted onto it.

@Denko666 I have this, with two J-92 and the J Aerospike. It should be able to make Mun orbit and back but it hasn't gone that far yet and hasn't carried any sample cargo yet.

Spoiler

yoq07lY.jpg

I can't wait!!! Will you be releasing some RCS parts that are just as streamlined and sexy as the rest of the parts? I did try the Juno RCS adapter part yesterday and its awesome, but having some small individual engines would be great too. Also just out of curiosity, are the landing gear parts still a work in progress or do you guys know what is happening with Adjustable Landing Gear? (the thread is locked). Thanks again for the awesome work you guys do on this mod.

Edited by Victorsaurus
?

9 minutes ago, Victorsaurus said:

I can't wait!!! Will you be releasing some RCS parts that are just as streamlined and sexy as the rest of the parts? I did try the Juno RCS adapter part yesterday and its awesome, but having some small individual engines would be great too. Also just out of curiosity, are the landing gear parts still a work in progress or do you guys know what is happening with Adjustable Landing Gear? (the thread is locked). Thanks again for the awesome work you guys do on this mod.

At this stage no idea with ALJ, the thread was locked because the mods got sick of seeing all the 'when will this be updated' posts.  As for the OPT landing gear they are well and truly WIP as their colliders need to be updated for U5 and then tested, at this stage I know I don't have the knowhow to do that.  There is rumors of new landing gear in a later version but at this stage they remain rumors.  

Edited by stali79

9 minutes ago, stali79 said:

At this stage no idea with ALJ.  As for the OPT landing gear they are well and truly WIP as their colliders need to be updated for U5 and then tested, at this stage I know I don't have the knowhow to do that.  There is rumors of new landing gear in a later version but at this stage they remain rumors.  

Is it possible to replace the stock landing gear models with the OPT gear and keep all the same colliders using Blender? Speaking from the point of view of replacing weapon models in Insurgency, so I'm probably way off. Different engine too. Ah well, its cool to know better landing gear is somewhere on the horizon. 

Just now, Victorsaurus said:

Is it possible to replace the stock landing gear models with the OPT gear and keep all the same colliders using Blender? Speaking from the point of view of replacing weapon models in Insurgency, so I'm probably way off. Different engine too. Ah well, its cool to know better landing gear is somewhere on the horizon. 

I honestly don't think so, would be nice if it was as simple as that.

30263024821_7c05d1ed59_h.jpg

OPT 'Stail' Multirole SSTO Spaceplane (left) and OPT 'Juno' Multirole SSTO Spaceplane (right)

I can't help to still be a bit more sold for the 'Stail'... Even tho they both fly like a dream in 1.2 no complaints there!

1 minute ago, Denko666 said:

30263024821_7c05d1ed59_h.jpg

OPT 'Stail' Multirole SSTO Spaceplane (left) and OPT 'Juno' Multirole SSTO Spaceplane (right)

I can't help to still be a bit more sold for the 'Stail'... Even tho they both fly like a dream in 1.2 no complaints there!

If you think they fly nice now, just wait for KJR and FAR to be updfated!

5 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

never used FAR (or NEAR) and with the 'Attach Rigid' option from KSP1.2 on i think even KJR is needed anymore

What is this rigid attach option of which you speak of? I haven't seen it.

6 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

you need to turn on 'advanced options' in the settings screen (outside savegame) to see this. Also unlocks the now built-in Fuel flow control

hmmmm can't seem to find it :(

found it. Advanced Tweakables.  The downside I am seeing for this is you have to set it PER part, not a global thing.

@K.Yeon First off, welcome back! It's been a while since I've visited this thread (I had been on KSP 1.0.5 for a while, so I'll be jumping to 1.2 once all the major plugin-based mods I use update), so it was a VERY nice surprise to hear you're back on the mod. Your plans for the new release look amazing (that deployment bay is genius!) Looking forward to the new version.

Second: With the new mod release (1.9), have you considered doing a release in the Add-on release forum, or do you still think OPT is only a Dev mod? You seem to be pretty demanding of yourself (the 1.7 and 1.8 releases make it feel like you were never quite satisfied by your efforts), but I think even by 1.7 OPT could've been release worthy. (Besides the weirdness that was inherent to the 1.0.x version of KSP...) Just curious because I find it strange that OPT has been technically "in-dev" all this time without an "official" release version, despite its usability.

Anyway, again, kinda anxious now. OPT is in my top list for part mods, so it great to hear it being updated for KSP 1.2. I wish you the best of luck and eagerly await your next release!

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Pretty sure he means AutoStrut.

And yeah, it's an advanced tweakable.

When you activate 'advanced tweakables' in the options menu. And you then go to the VAB/SPH, when you right click on a part there's 2 options added: Autostrut an attach rigidly (or somethin like that,... i claim innocence for forgetfulness,... it was the sake! :wink: ).