[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

10 minutes ago, BlackSun said:

Well, I don't want to strut and build stuff as a workaround with those two mods. Those would be awesome for orbital stations, though. So, once I'm there, I'll take a look.

And, I'd naturally want to use cargo bays for this kind of stuff anyways, and for reclaiming other junk in space. It just feels natural to be used for this exact purpose, aside from ferrying stuff up with an SSTO. But the lack of an extendable grappling arm that'll push stuff out / catch stuff, pull it in with proper alignment and keep holding it? Cargo bays are extremely worthless to me without. Sure, plenty of space to put stuff and build your own things inside... but these arms kind or are the most vital part of cargo bays in space, aside from the actual doors. Going the "docking-ring-inside" route seems a bit too flimsy to me, and every part you move has to have a docking ring then, too. Real space shuttles have those arms. I WANT ME ARMS IN SPEZE. CUZ AWESOME.

Is there already a mod for that? If not, this could be another part to complement the beautiful OPT roster of parts. Mountable in any cargo bay, or just the OPT ones, whatever works best :)

As for the rescue part whitelist, having a claw with crew transfer solves the need for that. I got a dedicated line of rescue / soon salvage craft, and this'll be a nice addition if it allows for transfer!

There used to be a mod with the shuttle canadarm but i dont know if its been updated. You could use a combo of infernal robotics and kas to make your own remote arm

1 minute ago, BlackSun said:

Well, I don't want to strut and build stuff as a workaround with those two mods. Those would be awesome for orbital stations, though. So, once I'm there, I'll take a look.

And, I'd naturally want to use cargo bays for this kind of stuff anyways, and for reclaiming other junk in space. It just feels natural to be used for this exact purpose, aside from ferrying stuff up with an SSTO. But the lack of an extendable grappling arm that'll push stuff out / catch stuff, pull it in with proper alignment and keep holding it? Cargo bays are extremely worthless to me without. Sure, plenty of space to put stuff and build your own things inside... but these arms kind or are the most vital part of cargo bays in space, aside from the actual doors. Going the "docking-ring-inside" route seems a bit too flimsy to me, and every part you move has to have a docking ring then, too. Real space shuttles have those arms. I WANT ME ARMS IN SPEZE. CUZ AWESOME.

Is there already a mod for that? If not, this could be another part to complement the beautiful OPT roster of parts. Mountable in any cargo bay, or just the OPT ones, whatever works best :)

As for the rescue part whitelist, having a claw with crew transfer solves the need for that. I got a dedicated line of rescue / soon salvage craft, and this'll be a nice addition if it allows for transfer!

There were a couple of different robot arm mods for previous versions of KSP, the most well known one being Infernal Robotics which lets you build basically anything, but apparently that doesn't work quite right since 1.2 and they're still working on fixing it. Parts of it are still useful though, but they won't brand it as a release until everything works as it should. There's also a Canadarm mod, but that's a bit bigger IIRC than what was on the shuttle.

Docking rings is one of those things you basically have to live with, though. 

4 minutes ago, stali79 said:

There used to be a mod with the shuttle canadarm but i dont know if its been updated. You could use a combo of infernal robotics and kas to make your own remote arm

I feel like "homebrew" just isn't gonna be good enough... too many single parts and the performance takes a nosedive, and it's gotta work properly, too - I'd really rather have one dedicated part that's meant for exactly this. Extending, grabbing stuff the right way, pulling it in and securing it. Or extending with stuff and releasing it next to the craft with the arm, without pushing either of these away from one another.

I don't think "homebrew" is gonna cut it.

Just now, Virtualgenius said:

Its a shame @romfarer robotic arms  arnt updated his robotic arms where the best be nice if someone could take it over but i believe the license needs to change

Well, the guys at OPT Aerospace Devision could just produce one for their huge cargo holds. :wink:

I know how difficult such a part would be to get right though, so I ain't expecting it anytime soon, if at all.

Would rock for sure, though.

18 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Its a shame @romfarer robotic arms  arnt updated his robotic arms where the best be nice if someone could take it over but i believe the license needs to change

18 hours ago, BlackSun said:

Well, the guys at OPT Aerospace Devision could just produce one for their huge cargo holds. :wink:

I know how difficult such a part would be to get right though, so I ain't expecting it anytime soon, if at all.

Would rock for sure, though.

I don't think i will add robotic arms, because i will have to write a plugin for it to work. Besides, there are really good robotic arms parts out there already, take a look at this video: 

Spoiler

But if is just a simple extendable docking arm then it's totally possible to be added later!

14 hours ago, seaces said:

Could somebody tell me what is the "deployment bay" for? I see what is for cargo bay and service bay but this one is new for me and have no idea what to use it for

The deployment bay is mostly used as a small cargo bay that can 'deploy' small satellites and escape pods. But it's also useful for mounting things like engines(for vtol), 2.5m diameter communication dishes and science stuff.

Hey yall,

Having some trouble with the J Inline Docking port large and "crew"/small. Can't attach anything to the aft node. 

Did a search, someone else had this problem and suggested checking the node_stack_top/bottom. Did that, it looks right.

Spoiler

node_stack_top=0.0, 0.95187, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

node_stack_bottom=0.0, -0.95187, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4

Anyone have any ideas? 

Running KSP 1.2.2 and OPT 1.9.2

Cheers,

Rook

Edited by Rook

13 hours ago, Rook said:

Hey yall,

Having some trouble with the J Inline Docking port large and "crew"/small. Can't attach anything to the aft node. 

Did a search, someone else had this problem and suggested checking the node_stack_top/bottom. Did that, it looks right.

Reveal hidden contents

node_stack_top=0.0, 0.95187, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

node_stack_bottom=0.0, -0.95187, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4

Anyone have any ideas? 

Running KSP 1.2.2 and OPT 1.9.2

Cheers,

Rook

This was brought up in the deleted thread just a day or so before it vanished, and it's a conflict with another mod that I don't remember the name of off hand. Post your mod list, and you might shake my memory loose, or the people who answered the question last time might chime in. 

Just now, Winchester said:

This was brought up in the deleted thread just a day or so before it vanished, and it's a conflict with another mod that I don't remember the name of off hand. Post your mod list, and you might shake my memory loose, or the people who answered the question last time might chime in. 

Part Angle Display and Tweakable Everything dont like OPT.

On 13.1.2017 at 9:04 AM, K.Yeon said:

I don't think i will add robotic arms, because i will have to write a plugin for it to work. Besides, there are really good robotic arms parts out there already, take a look at this video: 

Hide contents

That's exactly what  need. What mod is it? Where do I find that mod? I tried installing the MSI Infernal Robotics mod with Reworks parts, assuming that's what I see in that vid, but it just refuses to work. Parts didn't show up, those that did were not controllable, ... a real huge mess there. Is that even up to date for the latest version of KSP...?

All I need is an arm... why does this stuff have to be so complicated. One part, pre-built, "extendable arm". Pick the part, attach the part, done. Lego-ing the arm together from ground up isn't quite what I had imagined... but there is no other way, is there? If that at least worked... been trying for 2 days straight now. I really don't need this excrements this badly but here I am pulling my hair over it...

Well, thanks anyways.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:26 AM, BlackSun said:

That's exactly what  need. What mod is it? Where do I find that mod? I tried installing the MSI Infernal Robotics mod with Reworks parts, assuming that's what I see in that vid, but it just refuses to work. Parts didn't show up, those that did were not controllable, ... a real huge mess there. Is that even up to date for the latest version of KSP...?

All I need is an arm... why does this stuff have to be so complicated. One part, pre-built, "extendable arm". Pick the part, attach the part, done. Lego-ing the arm together from ground up isn't quite what I had imagined... but there is no other way, is there? If that at least worked... been trying for 2 days straight now. I really don't need this excrements this badly but here I am pulling my hair over it...

Well, thanks anyways.

Yeah that is definitely Infernal Robotics and the rework models in that video. I'm using IR in my 1.2.2 install and all is well so sounds like you might have borked the install. If I remember correctly none of the current releases actually work for 1.2.2 you need to get the dev version.

It's easy to say just make an arm part that can move and grab things, but in practice it is actually quite difficult!!

Making the part and getting it to animate are the easy part, getting it to attach to things and move the thing it is attached to in the way you would expect when you run the animation is the source of most of the trouble when trying to make this kind of stuff. IR and KIS/KAS have gone through many years of development and refinement to get to the point they are at today.

Edited by Akira_R

6 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Yeah that is definitely Infernal Robotics and the rework models in that video. I'm using IR in my 1.2.2 install and all is well so sounds like you might have borked the install. If I remember correctly none of the current releases actually work for 1.2.2 you need to get the dev version.

It's easy to say just make an arm part that can move and grab things, but in practice it is actually quite difficult!!

Making the part and getting it to animate are the easy part, getting it to attach to things and move the thing it is attached to in the way you would expect when you run the animation is the source of most of the trouble when trying to make this kind of stuff.

Yeah, I've figured it out by now. The outdated and confusing instructions of the mod gave me all those issues.

As for such a part: We've got real wizards working on mods here, Harry :wink:
#challengeaccepted, anyone? ... no? Well. Worth a shot.

As for the solution to my issues, see...

Edited by BlackSun

On 1/17/2017 at 4:16 PM, Night_Wing_Zero said:

Thats the Normandy SR-2 (or one :P) of  Mass Effect

Please, note the date on the post you're about to quote before you post... and avoid stating the *blindingly obvious*, will you?

And that's definitely the SR-2, the SR-1 had a T-tail and much smaller outboard engines. 

OK, it looks like the official word is that the old threads are gone for good:

@K.Yeon, will you post a new thread in the Releases forum, or should we just keep going with this one? Also, while I'm at it - the links in your signature haven't worked for some time, you might want to redo it whether you're posting a new thread or not.

In the mean time, still eagerly awaiting the new goodies you're cooking up.... :D

19 hours ago, stali79 said:

@K.Yeon - I suggest changing the J_RCS from largeUnmanned to specializedControl.  keep the drone core variants where they are but the RCS unit is more a specialized control part.

ok, that makes sense thanks for suggesting it!

2 hours ago, Winchester said:

OK, it looks like the official word is that the old threads are gone for good:

@K.Yeon, will you post a new thread in the Releases forum, or should we just keep going with this one? Also, while I'm at it - the links in your signature haven't worked for some time, you might want to redo it whether you're posting a new thread or not.

In the mean time, still eagerly awaiting the new goodies you're cooking up.... :D

:( i will re post a new one once im done with the new update. Due to real life stuff i haven't got the time to focus on modding... 

For 1.9.3, i still need to finish mk2 cockpit's iva, but since it's already super late, i think i will just make you guys wait a little bit longer and i will combine 1.9.3 with 1.9.4 (with the new KH parts and a few more J adaptor parts) and make it a big update. I also heard some version of FAR is working with 1.2.2 so i will include a patch for FAR too.

But once this is done, i think i will just call it OPT 2.0 and OPT will enter maintenance mode once again because im unsure how much effort i can put into this once my full time job begins (in two weeks time). But i will be around for compatibility patches when ksp updates, and adding new parts when i find the time.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

6 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

ok, qui fait sens grâce pour suggérer qu'il!

:( je vais de nouveau après une nouvelle fois im fait avec la nouvelle mise à jour. En raison de la vie réelle des choses que je ne l'ai pas eu le temps de se concentrer sur modding ... 

Pour 1.9.3, je dois encore terminer la iva de mk2 cockpit, mais comme il est déjà super - fin, je pense que je vais juste vous les gars attendre un peu plus longtemps et je vais combiner 1.9.3 avec 1.9.4 (avec le nouveau KH pièces et quelques pièces d'adaptation J) et en font une grosse mise à jour. J'ai aussi entendu une version de FAR travaille avec 1.2.2 donc je vais inclure un patch pour FAR aussi.

Mais une fois que cela est fait, je pense que je vais l'appeler OPT 2.0 et OPT entrerai mode de maintenance une fois de plus parce im incertain combien d'effort je peux mettre dans cette fois mon travail à plein temps commence (dans deux semaines). Mais je vais être là pour les correctifs de compatibilité lors de mises à jour KSP, et en ajoutant de nouvelles pièces quand je trouve le temps.

Merci pour la patience de tout le monde.

Great this is good news! Thank you to finish your mod and I hope that you will flourish in your future work! ^_^

Greatings people, im having a compability problem between OPT and some other unknown mod i have installed, i know it must be some kind of conflict because when i only have OPT installed it works fine. Anyhow what happens is that when i load in an OPT part into the world it gets fixed to a point in space which the part can rotate around but not move from.

Anywho if no one knows what causes this im wondering if there is some way for me to find out what mods modify other mods?

Heres also a picture of how a part is fixed to a point and hangs

5X5OFrh.jpg

2 hours ago, logaritm said:

Greatings people, im having a compability problem between OPT and some other unknown mod i have installed, i know it must be some kind of conflict because when i only have OPT installed it works fine. Anyhow what happens is that when i load in an OPT part into the world it gets fixed to a point in space which the part can rotate around but not move from.

Anywho if no one knows what causes this im wondering if there is some way for me to find out what mods modify other mods?

Without logs or modlists there is nothing we can do to help.

10 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

ok, that makes sense thanks for suggesting it!

:( i will re post a new one once im done with the new update. Due to real life stuff i haven't got the time to focus on modding... 

For 1.9.3, i still need to finish mk2 cockpit's iva, but since it's already super late, i think i will just make you guys wait a little bit longer and i will combine 1.9.3 with 1.9.4 (with the new KH parts and a few more J adaptor parts) and make it a big update. I also heard some version of FAR is working with 1.2.2 so i will include a patch for FAR too.

But once this is done, i think i will just call it OPT 2.0 and OPT will enter maintenance mode once again because im unsure how much effort i can put into this once my full time job begins (in two weeks time). But i will be around for compatibility patches when ksp updates, and adding new parts when i find the time.

Thanks for everyone's patience.

Take all the time you need mate.

2 hours ago, logaritm said:

Please don't ask "help me solve this incompatibility issue" without telling us which mods might potentially be involved. Post your mod list with the request, because there are a gazillion mods out there and unless one of us recognizes a specific behavior (like the last help request), there's no way to know what kind of mod it might be. At the very least if we have your mod list we can eliminate a pile of stuff that we know works well with OPT and concentrate on the things that haven't been tested by anyone else yet.

As for finding out which mods can change parts in other packs, I'd start with mods that have DLL files, because those are the ones that alters the way the game works. Not all of them will alter parts, but it's a start.