[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

20 hours ago, occ said:

You have the Mono.DLL problem which means an outdated mod is present.

Apparently you have three versions of MM in your GameData. Only keep the newest version.

On 7/19/2017 at 0:42 AM, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Ah. I misunderstood because @K.Yeon seemed not online often. Well, @K.Yeon I am sorry, and as soon as you get back on can you fix the title?

np, it's fixed

20 hours ago, occ said:

Maybe I installed it incorrectly, but it isn't working. I just downloaded the latest version and when I loaded ksp it crashed.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

You have the Mono.DLL problem which means an outdated mod is present.

Apparently you have three versions of MM in your GameData. Only keep the newest version.

Yeah, JadeOfMaar is right,

Just grab the latest manager to v2.8 from here: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll
Place it inside your GameData folder, (delete the old one), then you should be perfectly fine for 1.3.

If you are unfamiliar with installing mod, refer to the installation guide video...

Also, sorry for not being online often, I been quite busy irl, but still been working on this mod bit by bit. Thanks @stali79 and others maintaining the forum!
This weekend was pretty productive of me, i finally finished the IVA for J Science bay and H crew.

The science lab was a tough IVA to make for me, i went through quite a few variants before finalizing it, super happy with the final result :cool:

QZz4xI5.png

XBSIiBO.png

I have also finished testing a working patch for FAR.

I saw @JadeOfMaar has made a patch for USI, i put a link for that in the OP, thanks!

What's left on the list is just some minor fixes,
and add some low profile RCS thrusters (won't be anything cool, it will be similar to the stock linear RCS port, with colors match the OPT grey and white), im hoping to get the patch done before next weekend :)

5 minutes ago, K.Yeon said:

np, it's fixed

Yeah, JadeOfMaar is right,

Just grab the latest manager to v2.8 from here: https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/ModuleManager.2.8.1.dll
Place it inside your GameData folder, (delete the old one), then you should be perfectly fine for 1.3.

If you are unfamiliar with installing mod, refer to the installation guide video...

Also, sorry for not being online often, I been quite busy irl, but still been working on this mod bit by bit. Thanks @stali79 and others maintaining the forum!
This weekend was pretty productive of me, i finally finished the IVA for J Science bay and H crew.

The science lab was a tough IVA to make for me, i went through quite a few variants before finalizing it, super happy with the final result :cool:

QZz4xI5.png

XBSIiBO.png

I have also finished testing a working patch for FAR.

I saw @JadeOfMaar has made a patch for USI, i put a link for that in the OP, thanks!

What's left on the list is just some minor fixes,
and add some low profile RCS thrusters (won't be anything cool, it will be similar to the stock linear RCS port, with colors match the OPT grey and white), im hoping to get the patch done before next weekend :)

Check current version of legacy pack for some rcs units that @JadeOfMaar made :)

@K.Yeon My mind has been blown!!! :o 

Umm... Can I convince you to make 5-way RCS/OMS blocks instead? If you're going to make only one RCS piece I say that's what's really needed. Then everyone can take off (and translate forward and backward :wink: ) from there.

As @stali79 suggested, I made these (by just scaling existing parts) but they don't actually have RCS FX. I don't have any skill yet in Unity to add RCS FX myself.

They are K (hollow), K (solid), KH and Humpback.

fl19ebF.jpg

20 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@K.Yeon My mind has been blown!!! :o 

Umm... Can I convince you to make 5-way RCS/OMS blocks instead? If you're going to make only one RCS piece I say that's what's really needed. Then everyone can take off (and translate forward and backward :wink: ) from there.

As @stali79 suggested, I made these (by just scaling existing parts) but they don't actually have RCS FX. I don't have any skill yet in Unity to add RCS FX myself.

They are K (hollow), K (solid), KH and Humpback.

Those are nice RCS parts for the fuselage, i would of made them my self if i wasn't making the single port RCS :) But yeah keep them in legacy pack incase anyone wishes to use them!

As for the 5 way OMS block, quite a few other mod already has them but none of them fits a space plane, so i thought i make one that looks more aerodynamic, this is what i come up with:

QVTznP9.png FmioHjb.png RoW3wlc.png 

They are pretty powerful, each port is same thrust as the ports on J-RCS

edit:

by6tYSZ.png

super low profile rcs ports

Edited by K.Yeon

35 minutes ago, K.Yeon said:

Those are nice RCS parts for the fuselage, i would of made them my self if i wasn't making the single port RCS :) But yeah keep them in legacy pack incase anyone wishes to use them!

As for the 5 way OMS block, quite a few other mod already has them but none of them fits a space plane, so i thought i make one that looks more aerodynamic, this is what i come up with:

QVTznP9.png FmioHjb.png RoW3wlc.png 

They are pretty powerful, each port is same thrust as the ports on J-RCS

edit:

by6tYSZ.png

super low profile rcs ports

@K.Yeon i have a favour to ask. Can you possibly fix the models and configs for the oms parts @JadeOfMaar made, they just need thrust transforms added and the correct stuff added to the config to make them work correctly.

14 minutes ago, stali79 said:

@K.Yeon i have a favour to ask. Can you possibly fix the models and configs for the oms parts @JadeOfMaar made, they just need thrust transforms added and the correct stuff added to the config to make them work correctly.

To be honest if you look at the last image, putting the new rcs port next to the J-rcs is almost identical. I think it will work the same way for K and Kh parts too, reducing the need for those inline oms parts.

Anyway, after next update you can see if the inline oms parts are really needed, I can fix them after that.

Just now, K.Yeon said:

To be honest if you look at the last image, putting the new rcs port next to the J-rcs is almost identical. I think it will work the same way for K and Kh parts too, reducing the need for those inline oms parts.

Anyway, after next update you can see if the inline oms parts are really needed, I can fix them after that.

Cool thanks mate

2 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

Ahh, but part of the point of my inline parts is the reaction wheel. The inline OMS all will keep part count down a little and fit flush with the plane body. Some folks have asked for these. One thing I clearly avoided was making any drone cores. Stock probe cores can be placed on their inner attachment nodes.

That aside, I do like that your linear RCS almost are identical to the J RCS ports, and the thruster blocks will be welcome by everyone.

3 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

I like this a lot. Quite a lot. Indeed, most 5-way RCS blocks seem fit for realistic rockets and have nozzles jutting out everywhere. Also I would like that if OPT was the only plane parts mod installed, no one would have to get another mod just for RCS, or spam stock ones to hell. :wink: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Ahh, but part of the point of my inline parts is the reaction wheel. The inline OMS all will keep part count down a little and fit flush with the plane body. Some folks have asked for these. One thing I clearly avoided was making any drone cores. Stock probe cores can be placed on their inner attachment nodes.

That aside, I do like that your linear RCS almost are identical to the J RCS ports, and the thruster blocks will be welcome by everyone.

I like this a lot. Quite a lot. Indeed, most 5-way RCS blocks seem fit for realistic rockets and have nozzles jutting out everywhere. Also I would like that if OPT was the only plane parts mod installed, no one would have to get another mod just for RCS, or spam stock ones to hell. :wink: 

You can easily add RCS transforms to those parts of yours and it's a good entry level way to learn how to use the Unity 3D editor. By default, RCS uses the Y axis unless useZAxis = true

Then add them to the part with MODEL nodes. (adding MODEL nodes requires that the main mesh also be added via MODEL)

On 24/07/2017 at 4:35 AM, Starwaster said:

You can easily add RCS transforms to those parts of yours and it's a good entry level way to learn how to use the Unity 3D editor. By default, RCS uses the Y axis unless useZAxis = true

Then add them to the part with MODEL nodes. (adding MODEL nodes requires that the main mesh also be added via MODEL)

At present they have massive drag issues so that would need to be dealt with first.

OPT 2.0 is up!

https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/225018-opt-space-plane-parts-v2-0

https://spacedock.info/mod/1028/OPT Space Plane

(link might have delays)

Changes and Bug Fixes:

• Added several new RCS parts
  • Added IVA for J science lab and H crew cabin.
  • Fixed JSL, JHT, JQS and KSP IVA windows (was 100% transparent).
  • Changed KH cargo/fuselage's inner node upward by 0.61, so it's centered for 3.75m parts.
  • Further reduced lifting body lift value by up to 10%
  • Cockpit and nose part's lift value reduced by 40%
  • Fixed h fuselage's lift value (reduced)
  • Applied all previous bug fix patches (missing h fuselage fuel and missing tech)
  • Fixed base mass value for MFT (set to -1)
  • Nebula engine(2.5m engine)'s Centre of Mass shifted forward by 1.5 (since the engine's main body isn't modelled)
  • Added TACLS for h crew cabins

If any new bug is found, report right away!

Also as the version number 2.0 suggest, this marks the end of OPT development, i won't be adding anything new any time soon, but i will be keeping OPT updated.

Thanks!

Also is it possible to move this entire thread to add-on section?

@K.Yeon I think there is a drag issue with the J Deployment bay, gave some rescaled engines inside them but they are completely inside the bay's doors but the bays seem to be generating a massive amount of drag.

Obviously my bays are closed during flight but you can see the green glow around the drag trail when I highlight the deployment bay.

Edited by stali79

2 hours ago, stali79 said:

@K.Yeon I think there is a drag issue with the J Deployment bay, gave some rescaled engines inside them but they are completely inside the bay's doors but the bays seem to be generating a massive amount of drag.

Obviously my bays are closed during flight but you can see the green glow around the drag trail when I highlight the deployment bay.

A better indicator of drag would be to enable physics aero debugging and right click the engine inside the bay. Do that without opening the bay or the data presented will not be reliable.

6 hours ago, technicalfool said:

Yes, yes it is.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

A better indicator of drag would be to enable physics aero debugging and right click the engine inside the bay. Do that without opening the bay or the data presented will not be reliable.

Starwaster is right, go to the debug menu, under aero, check the box "display aero data in action menus".
now right click the part during flight.

I just tested this it seems theres a bug with cargo bays, OPT or stock, it would say items inside the cargobay are not shielded, however they don't have any drag.
I guess due to this, the aerodynamic fx is present for those parts inside a cargobay.

EDIT__________________

I made some screen shots to show you guys what i mean:

Spoiler

AXyedw4.png

If you look at:

1. this is the little cargo i placed inside the mk3 cargo bay and OPT cargo and hollow fuselage. In both case they show they are not shielded but they have no drag.

2. this is the cargo section of the test craft, both case shows they have 0 drag for y direction (positive and negative)

3. this is the tail section of the test craft, both case showing the correct drag on y negative (y positive for OPT craft because the part is flipped over).

So i think as of now, OPT cargo bays and hollow fuselage is behaving exactly the same as stock counterparts.

Edited by K.Yeon

Ok here is all the aero data. Displaying a centre deployment bay and a wing one and its internal engine, added some extra parts so you can compare aero data.

EDIT:  in one of the images I decided to check the aero data for the J and K cargo bays and a life support can inside them.  I got SOME drag on the life support containers but nowhere near as much as in the deployment bay.

Edited by stali79

29 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Ok here is all the aero data. Displaying a centre deployment bay and a wing one and its internal engine, added some extra parts so you can compare aero data.

oh i just realized those engines are tweakscaled, i think what shadowmage said here is probably relevant:

So im guessing tweakscale hasn't changed that aspect since then, which means the game still think those engines has the same drag cube as before they were scaled, which is outside of the covering range of the j deployment bay.

Just now, K.Yeon said:

oh i just realized those engines are tweakscaled, i think what shadowmage said here is probably relevant:

So im guessing tweakscale hasn't changed that aspect since then, which means the game still think those engines has the same drag cube as before they were scaled, which is outside of the covering range of the j deployment bay.

hmmmm I may need to reevaluate my VTOL setup...

I don't know that drag cubes actually affect whether a cargo bay is determined to have contained its contents but there's also the matter of the lookupRadius. The deployment bay has a lookupRadius of 1.75m. If Tweak Scale doesn't change that when the part is scaled up, then your engine has to fit within 1.75m or it's not contained. Even if Tweak Scale were to update the drag cubes, it would also have to modify lookupRadius

6 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I don't know that drag cubes actually affect whether a cargo bay is determined to have contained its contents but there's also the matter of the lookupRadius. The deployment bay has a lookupRadius of 1.75m. If Tweak Scale doesn't change that when the part is scaled up, then your engine has to fit within 1.75m or it's not contained. Even if Tweak Scale were to update the drag cubes, it would also have to modify lookupRadius

Had the engines rescaled to 1.725m

Rejigged my VTOL setup, I am still getting drag on the contents of the deployment bay. Perhaps the lookupradius is too low?

EDIT: changed the Deployment Bay's LookupRadius to 2.75 and retested with several configurations, still getting massive drag inside those bas.

Edited by stali79