[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

1 hour ago, DougS2K said:

@JadeOfMaar Just noticed the Humpback cargo bay does not shield anything inside from drag whether the cargo bay is closed or open unlike the reversal problem that you recently corrected with the J and K bays. The J and K cargo and service bay is still working correctly so I'm assuming it's just an issue with the config of the Humpback cargo bay itself. Tried attaching to nodes and walls but still reports drag no matter what I try.

Keep in mind a LOT of the parts in Legacy pack are parts that are either incomplete or retired. @JadeOfMaar and myself do endeavour to keep the parts fully functional but always remember that they are kinda on a 'as is' basis.

That being said, this issue may just need its lookup radius increased.

13 hours ago, stali79 said:

Keep in mind a LOT of the parts in Legacy pack are parts that are either incomplete or retired. @JadeOfMaar and myself do endeavour to keep the parts fully functional but always remember that they are kinda on a 'as is' basis.

That being said, this issue may just need its lookup radius increased.

I realize that. Mods are always an ever going work in progress from my experience. Especially ones with so many parts like this one. I just point out issues as I see them in case no one is aware of them. I'm not competent enough with cargo bay settings to fix it, otherwise I would try to help. This issue kind of defeats the pupose of the cargo bay though since it doesn't prevent drag from any parts inside resulting in a lot of drag and increased TWR needed depending on what's in the cargo bay.

EDIT* Did some testing to see if I can figure this out. This issue only happens when using the Humpback tail cargo ramp in conjunction with the cargo bay. Without the ramp the cargo bay itself is working properly. So the issue is with the ramp and not the cargo bay. My mistake on reporting the wrong part as the problem the first time.

Edited by DougS2K

9 hours ago, DougS2K said:

EDIT* Did some testing to see if I can figure this out. This issue only happens when using the Humpback tail cargo ramp in conjunction with the cargo bay. Without the ramp the cargo bay itself is working properly. So the issue is with the ramp and not the cargo bay. My mistake on reporting the wrong part as the problem the first time.

7 hours ago, DougS2K said:

@stali79 @JadeOfMaar I fixed the issue by changing the following settings in OPT_l_7m_cargoTail.cfg to:

DeployModuleIndex=0
        closedPosition=0

Humpback cargo bay and cargo tail are now working correctly with the changes made.

I've just noticed (in addition to that) the Humpback hollow parts all have different lookup radii. Try this and let me know if it's sufficient.

KH uses radius of 3 so using for for Humpback, 3.5...maybe 4 should be sufficient. 

Try this and let me know how things work out.

@PART[l_oms_hollow,l_6m_fuselage,l_7m_cargoTail,l_6m_cargo]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay]
	{
		@DeployModuleIndex=0
		@closedPosition=0
		@lookupRadius=3.5
	}
}

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I've just noticed (in addition to that) the Humpback hollow parts all have different lookup radii. Try this and let me know if it's sufficient.

KH uses radius of 3 so using for for Humpback, 3.5...maybe 4 should be sufficient. 

Try this and let me know how things work out.

@PART[l_oms_hollow,l_6m_fuselage,l_7m_cargoTail,l_6m_cargo]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleCargoBay]
	{
		@DeployModuleIndex=0
		@closedPosition=0
		@lookupRadius=3.5
	}
}

I will test this out next time I get a chance.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

:D .......Now, may I ask you to tell me how to get KSP to show when something is occluded from drag?

As for showing the drag values on items in game. You have to enable it by Alt + F12, then click physics, then aero, and then check the box for the top one which says something along the lines of display aero data in menus. Once thats done, when you right click any item in motion, it will display it's drag value in the popup.

Hi there,

I had downloaded OPT for KSP 1.3 via CKAN and noticed that with the STAIL Cargo Bay, I had also drag from parts inside.
In the hope of replicating the the solution from Jade of Maar, I had a look into the Config.

In the OPT_bf_6m_tail.cfg, I did not find a lookup radius. Can someone point me in the general direction how to fix this?

Partial Content of OPT_bf_6m_tail.cfg:

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
        animationName = open_bay
        animSpeed = 1
        startEventGUIName = Close
        endEventGUIName = Open
        toggleActionName = Toggle Bay Door
        startDeployed = True
        availableEVA = True
        availableFlight = True
        evaDistance = 5
        layer = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        animationName = deploy_ramp
        animSpeed = 0.2
        startEventGUIName = Retract Ramp
        endEventGUIName = Deploy Ramp
        toggleActionName = Toggle Ramp
        startDeployed = True
        availableEVA = True
        availableFlight = True
        evaDistance = 5
        layer = 2
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLight
        lightName = Spotlight
        useAnimationDim = true
        lightBrightenSpeed = 2.5
        lightDimSpeed = 2.5
        resourceAmount = 0.08
        animationName = LightAnimation
        useResources = true
    }

//MODULE
    //{
    //    name = ModuleLandingLeg
    //
    //    animationname = deploy_ramp
    //    wheelCollidername = wheelCollider
    //    //suspensionTransformname = LandingSupport
    //    suspensionUpperLimit = 0
    //    impactTolerance = 150
    //    //suspensionSpring = 1
    //    //suspensionDamper = 1
    //}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLiftingSurface

deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.3
        dragAtMaxAoA = 0.15
        dragAtMinAoA = 0.1
    }
}

5 hours ago, Mephisto81 said:

Looks like I'm not running the latest version.
CKAN offers only OPT Legacy 1.0.9.0.
I'll try a fresh install and see whether the issue persists.

1.0.9.0 is the latest version of OPT Legacy. For some unknown reason the main OPT doesnt appear on ckan at all

12 hours ago, Mephisto81 said:

Hi there,

I had downloaded OPT for KSP 1.3 via CKAN and noticed that with the STAIL Cargo Bay, I had also drag from parts inside.
In the hope of replicating the the solution from Jade of Maar, I had a look into the Config.

In the OPT_bf_6m_tail.cfg, I did not find a lookup radius. Can someone point me in the general direction how to fix this?

Partial Content of OPT_bf_6m_tail.cfg:

MODULE
    {
        animationName = open_bay
        animSpeed = 1
        startEventGUIName = Close
        endEventGUIName = Open
        toggleActionName = Toggle Bay Door
        startDeployed = True
        availableEVA = True
        availableFlight = True
        evaDistance = 5
        layer = 1
    }

MODULE
    {
        animationName = deploy_ramp
        animSpeed = 0.2
        startEventGUIName = Retract Ramp
        endEventGUIName = Deploy Ramp
        toggleActionName = Toggle Ramp
        startDeployed = True
        availableEVA = True
        availableFlight = True
        evaDistance = 5
        layer = 2
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLight
        lightName = Spotlight
        useAnimationDim = true
        lightBrightenSpeed = 2.5
        lightDimSpeed = 2.5
        resourceAmount = 0.08
        animationName = LightAnimation
        useResources = true
    }

//MODULE
    //{
    //    name = ModuleLandingLeg
    //
    //    animationname = deploy_ramp
    //    wheelCollidername = wheelCollider
    //    //suspensionTransformname = LandingSupport
    //    suspensionUpperLimit = 0
    //    impactTolerance = 150
    //    //suspensionSpring = 1
    //    //suspensionDamper = 1
    //}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLiftingSurface

deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.3
        dragAtMaxAoA = 0.15
        dragAtMinAoA = 0.1
    }
}

It looks like the tail is missing the module needed. I had a quick look into the files and think this should work. Try pasting this is in anywhere after the first ModuleAnimateGeneric module. If you paste it before ModuleAnimateGeneric the DeployModuleIndex=0 will have to be changed to 1.

MODULE
    {
        name=ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex=0
        closedPosition=1
        lookupRadius=2.5
        nodeOuterForeID=top
    }

*I also just noticed 2 of the other Stail cargo parts are missing this module aswell. The following should be added to them.

In OPT_bf_4m_adaptor_cargo.cfg add the following after the ModuleAnimateGeneric module:

MODULE
    {
        name=ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex=0
        closedPosition=0
        lookupRadius=2.5
        nodeOuterForeID=top
        nodeOuterAftID=bottom
        nodeInnerAftID=bottom2
    }

In OPT_bf_4m_cargo.cfg  add the following after the ModuleAnimateGeneric module:

MODULE
    {
        name=ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex=0
        closedPosition=0
        lookupRadius=2.5
        nodeOuterForeID=top
        nodeOuterAftID=bottom
    }

Let me know if this works as I don't have time to test it myself right now.

Edited by DougS2K
New information

Concerning the matter of Stail Freight cargo parts, there are several gaps to fill in there. Note that the node IDs declared inside of moduleCargoBay {} need attachment nodes with the same names to exist higher in the config file. The actual "OPT 'Stail' Class Freight Cargo Bay" part seems to not have inner stack nodes.

when I can, later today, I'll investigate all OPT cargo tails and possibly release a ZIP with updated cargo bay configs for you guys to play with.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

20 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Concerning the matter of Stail Freight cargo parts, there are several gaps to fill in there. Note that the node IDs declared inside of moduleCargoBay {} need attachment nodes with the same next to exist higher in the config file. The actual "OPT 'Stail' Class Freight Cargo Bay" part seems to not have inner stack nodes.

when I can, later today, I'll investigate all OPT cargo tails and possibly release a ZIP with updated cargo bay configs for you guys to play with.

I did notice when browsing through the files that nodes didn't look complete so I made sure to just include the ones listed in each config file that are there at the moment. I don't know if the node values are correct or not, or whether they are valid but I just added the ones corresponding to what was listed in each config to ModuleCargoBay.

And I didn't change the values of the Humpback yet but judging by the values for the K and KH, I would say the bays at 4 like you suggested would probably be good and the tail should probably stay at 6 or above given it has the extra length. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by DougS2K

To all interested parties, here's the ZIP I promised. It adds/fixes inner nodes and ModuleCargoBay{} for every single legacy cargo and hollow fuselage part. Testing these things in motion is not my part, though. It's yours. :wink: 

• Stail
  • Stail Freight
  • Humpback

Expect or focus on any potential issue with the Humpback tail and closedPosition as it spawns closed in the ship editor while every other cargo tail spawns open. I've also set Payload category for the hollow parts that were hiding in FuelTank category.

Warning. This may break all craft files containing these parts. :( 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 8/1/2017 at 2:37 AM, K.Yeon said:

FAR SUPPORT:

If anyone is willing to try this patch you can download it from : https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7ydlsf9gvluegu/OPT_FAR.cfg?dl=0, Place it in GameData/OPT/mm_config/ folder.

But since FAR config file isn't affected by the ksp updates, i believe it should be perfectly fine.

Let me know if there is a problem with it,

Thanks!

Was looking through the patch and noticed:

name = FARWingAerodynamicModels

I'm pretty sure the "s" on the end is a typo.

It should read:

name = FARWingAerodynamicModel

I could be mistaken, I used the LEGACY WING CONFIGS / Sample Part.cfg as my reference.

https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research

Edited by TheKurgan

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

To all interested parties, here's the ZIP I promised. It adds/fixes inner nodes and ModuleCargoBay{} for every single legacy cargo and hollow fuselage part. Testing these things in motion is not my part, though. It's yours. :wink: 

• Stail
  • Stail Freight
  • Humpback

Expect or focus on any potential issue with the Humpback tail and closedPosition as it spawns closed in the ship editor while every other cargo tail spawns open. I've also set Payload category for the hollow parts that were hiding in FuelTank category.

Warning. This may break all craft files containing these parts. :( 

Nicely done and thanks. I will begin testing things to see if all is working accordingly.

14 hours ago, stali79 said:

To unify things a little the main OPT Legacy repo is here feel free to submit pull requests etc. Be aware the Special aparts folder is where @JadeOfMaar and I store parts from other mods that we adapt to our own personal use and will never be included in the mod.

I'm not all that familiar in dealing with Repo's other then just downloading what I need but it is something I will look into.

Edited by DougS2K

I fixed the issues I've found (4 or 5) with DeployModuleIndex and ClosedPositon so that the bays will shield items from drag correctly including the Humpback tail ramp. The 3.5 LookupRadius seems to be sufficient but I still have to do a little more testing since I ran outta free time. One thing I've noticed though is there seems to be two nodes stacked together for the end of cargo bays which can make things tricky when placing more then one. If you don't place the the next cargo bay on the correct node of the previous, contents in the cargo bay will not be shielded from drag as the game thinks that there is an open end. This threw me for a loop when I was trying to correct the values with unsuccessfull results until i figured out what was going on. Haha 

I will make all the files available with changes I've made once I've tested it all.

24 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

One thing I've noticed though is there seems to be two nodes stacked together for the end of cargo bays which can make things tricky when placing more then one. If you don't place the the next cargo bay on the correct node of the previous, contents in the cargo bay will not be shielded from drag as the game thinks that there is an open end.

I met this as well while preparing all those configs for you to test out. To help others notice I made sure that the outer nodes are the correct large size (4 or 5) and that all the inner nodes are notably smaller (size 2) and slightly offset inward, so when someone wants to attach something in a cargo/hollow section they'll easily see if the plane parts are attached wrong. I believe this offset is what causes craft file breakage.

I believe @K.Yeon does not apply this offset and may have the node sizes too close (inner size 3, outer size 4) so the general cargo shielding problem everyone always faces may be due to exactly this.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

37 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I met this as well while preparing all those configs for you to test out. To help others notice I made sure that the outer nodes are the correct large size (4 or 5) and that all the inner nodes are notably smaller (size 2) and slightly offset inward, so when someone wants to attach something in a cargo/hollow section they'll easily see if the plane parts are attached wrong. I believe this offset is what causes craft file breakage.

I believe @K.Yeon does not apply this offset and may have the node sizes too close (inner size 3, outer size 4) so the general cargo shielding problem everyone always faces may be due to exactly this.

Yeah I figured that's why some of the nodes were huge. I thought it was just a bug at first till on the third restart of KSP they were still there and I was like ok this must be intended. Haha I finally figured out that if the big nodes were showing after you assembled the parts, then it wasn't connected right. The big node was a good idea so it's possible to know if it's connected properly. 

I will hopefully have it all tested out in the next few hours. I think I've got all bays shielding but wanna double check to make sure.

@JadeOfMaar I got everything working except the Avatar Cargo Tail. I just can't seem to get that to close the loop per say. I believe it has something to do with the ModuleAnimateGeneric module. It's different from any other cargo bay and I can't seem to figure out why or how to change it to work properly. I've run out of time for the night to mess with it but will have a go at it again tomorrow. Have a look at it if you get a chance and you will see what I mean. I made small adjustments to the following files to get them to work properly only editing DeployModuleIndex and closedPosition values as needed. Stail cargo bays needed no editing as they were perfect just the way they are. Only Humpback and Avatar needed tweaks.

Files edited:

OPT_c_6m_cargo.cfg
OPT_c_6m_cargoTail.cfg (This one still needs work as it's the Avatar Cargo Tail and still not shielding from drag)
OPT_l_6m_cargo.cfg
OPT_l_7m_cargoTail.cfg

I edited the files you uploaded and repacked it all with the appropriate changes so all the cargo bays will now work except the Avatar tail like I mentioned. They can be downloaded here

*And the node changes you made did break craft files but building stuff is half the fun and it just forces me to come up with new designs. :D

Edited by DougS2K

42 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

@JadeOfMaar I got everything working except the Avatar Cargo Tail. I just can't seem to get that to close the loop per say. I believe it has something to do with the ModuleAnimateGeneric module. It's different from any other cargo bay and I can't seem to figure out why or how to change it to work properly. I've run out of time for the night to mess with it but will have a go at it again tomorrow. Have a look at it if you get a chance and you will see what I mean. I made small adjustments to the following files to get them to work properly only editing DeployModuleIndex and closedPosition values as needed. Stail cargo bays needed no editing as they were perfect just the way they are. Only Humpback and Avatar needed tweaks.

Files edited:

OPT_c_6m_cargo.cfg
OPT_c_6m_cargoTail.cfg (This one still needs work as it's the Avatar Cargo Tail and still not shielding from drag)
OPT_l_6m_cargo.cfg
OPT_l_7m_cargoTail.cfg

I edited the files you uploaded and repacked it all with the appropriate changes so all the cargo bays will now work except the Avatar tail like I mentioned. They can be downloaded here

*And the node changes you made did break craft files but building stuff is half the fun and it just forces me to come up with new designs. :D

The Avatar tail was NEVER completed. I doesnt open or close, never has.