[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

29 minutes ago, stali79 said:

The Avatar tail was NEVER completed. I doesnt open or close, never has.

Interesting. It does open and close animation wise but the coding for it doesn't look like it should be for a cargo bay which could be due to it not being completed like you say. It seems to be coded as a ramp and not a cargo bay which is why I think the shielding is not working.

5 minutes ago, DougS2K said:

Interesting. It does open and close animation wise but the coding for it doesn't look like it should be for a cargo bay which could be due to it not being completed like you say. It seems to be coded as a ramp and not a cargo bay which is why I think the shielding is not working.

I could be thinking of a different part. Can you show me a screenshot of the one you are referring to please.

10 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Was looking through the patch and noticed:

name = FARWingAerodynamicModels

I'm pretty sure the "s" on the end is a typo.

It should read:

name = FARWingAerodynamicModel

I could be mistaken, I used the LEGACY WING CONFIGS / Sample Part.cfg as my reference.

https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research

Not ignored mate. We were dealing with the cargo bay issues. Have you tested the FAR patch with and without the s?

12 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

It should read:

I could be mistaken, I used the LEGACY WING CONFIGS / Sample Part.cfg as my reference.

It would be really nice to know, if there is a typo or not. Coz last few days I'm trying to build something flyable with FAR, and OPT parts has kinda strange behaviour. Unfortunately I expiriencing a lack of spare time to investigate this.

UPD: After a bit of googling I can say there's definitely a typo.

Edited by Cosmonauth
update

On 9/10/2016 at 10:49 PM, Chase842 said:

I took a closer look and I cross referenced some numbers and it seems to add up, so I add Lithium and Xenon to the MFT patch with appropriate "utilization" values to correlate with what the volume is for LF/OX's density. Success! I'm super new to this, so I'm just glad I pulled that off.

I just finished my SSTO with Near Future Propulsion Magnetoplasmatic engines for high vacuum isp :). I'll post an image of it later if anyone might be interested. It is the best SSTO I've ever made so far.

Excuse the "necro-quote", but do you still have this on hand? I'm interested in making some sort of ion-space plane as well. Namely with Argon since I don't have the magnetoplasmadynamic engines yet.

Edit: Adding modular tanks certainly enables easy Xenon usage but Argon or Lithium would require modification.

Edited by Ivy

On 9/19/2017 at 0:41 AM, stali79 said:

Be aware the Special parts folder...

That nuclear reactor is awesome... and soo OP... I love it lol! and I'm going to use it.

I have a few special parts too, mostly rescued parts from abandoned, or at least outdated mods. I use them for personal use only, and could never distribute them.

For example, BahamutoD's Drills for EL, converted to mine Ore, Karborundum, water and GoldOre (these are beyond doubt, thee most beautiful drills in the game BTW), I use slightly tweaked VTOL engines from T.G.O.L Group, most of BahamutoD's retractable engines and RCS (with tweakscale configs), and most recently, the Warp Reactor/drive from SciFi ship yards.

One of my largest OPT space planes makes use of all these except the retractable engines... a fully self sustaining warp ship that travels to Galileo's solar system (GPP Secondary) It can create nuclear fuel from a new part from KPBS, and it's green houses keep the Kerbals fed using Tac Life Support.

Fun stuff.

30 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

That nuclear reactor is awesome... and soo OP... I love it lol! and I'm going to use it.

I have a few special parts too, mostly rescued parts from abandoned, or at least outdated mods. I use them for personal use only, and could never distribute them.

For example, BahamutoD's Drills for EL, converted to mine Ore, Karborundum, water and GoldOre (these are beyond doubt, thee most beautiful drills in the game BTW), I use slightly tweaked VTOL engines from T.G.O.L Group, most of BahamutoD's retractable engines and RCS (with tweakscale configs), and most recently, the Warp Reactor/drive from SciFi ship yards.

One of my largest OPT space planes makes use of all these except the retractable engines... a fully self sustaining warp ship that travels to Galileo's solar system (GPP Secondary) It can create nuclear fuel from a new part from KPBS, and it's green houses keep the Kerbals fed using Tac Life Support.

Fun stuff.

When I made the reactor I sent it to @Nils277, he then made an actual model and config for it. In the repo is my config and his model. If you want the TRUE reactor its in KPBS. The repo is TECHNICALLY for personal use but @JadeOfMaar and I use it so we both are up to date with each other's changes.

Edited by stali79

Yes, I was using the "TRUE" reactor, actually in the spaceplane I mentioned, but the one in the repo has the power output I wanted. I hope it's ok for me to use it... I'll delete it if you want me to.

Edited by TheKurgan

1 hour ago, TheKurgan said:

Yes, I was using the "TRUE" reactor, actually in the spaceplane I mentioned, but the one in the repo has the power output I wanted. I hope it's ok for me to use it... I'll delete it if you want me to.

You can if you like. It was just a rough and unbalanced reactor using the NUK-3 as its base config

Ref the FAR patch, after a bit of testing, OPT works better in FAR without the patch.

In my tests on my setup, the OPT wings had very little lift in FAR with the patch.

My larger space planes COULD fly, but had to get up over 150ms to achieve sufficient lift, when the same plane CAN take off at about 90ms without the patch.

Just my opinions and observations.

Edited by TheKurgan

11 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Ref the FAR patch, after a bit of testing, OPT works better in FAR without the patch.

In my tests on my setup, the OPT wings had very little lift in FAR with the patch.

My larger space planes COULD fly, but had to get up over 150ms to achieve sufficient lift, when the same plane CAN take off at about 90ms without the patch.

Just my opinions and observations.

If you're using FAR then you want realistic lift and aerodynamics, right? Otherwise why are you using FAR? You either trust FAR or you don't.

So let's say we trust FAR and the wing lift is reasonably accurate, and that seems plausible given how short and stubby they are compared to the rest of the plane. Look at large cargo planes like the An 225 or the Galaxy C5. Look at their wingspan and surface area. 

Have you tried longer wings on your planes? You could probably reduce your takeoff speed that way. You'd also gain more drag but that's the price you have to pay.

I just finished doing some testing on my own and feel similarly to @TheKurgan.   The Pylons, Wings, and Winglets all seem to have almost no lift.  Only the Stabilizers seem to have appropriate lift.  This strikes me as odd since nothing jumped out at me while looking over the patch (but of course I have very minimal experience with that sort of thing).  

EDIT: just tested removing the "s" at the end of "FARWingAerodynamicModels" and that seemed to do the trick.

Edited by kraden

On 9/20/2017 at 3:48 AM, TheKurgan said:

It should read:

2 hours ago, kraden said:

-snip-
EDIT: just tested removing the "s" at the end of "FARWingAerodynamicModels" and that seemed to do the trick.

You guys are absolutely right it was a spelling mistake by me...
I guess because FAR 1.3 update came out a abit late so no one was using it until now.

I corrected the spelling mistake: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tugtcgziz7pv35z/OPT_FAR.cfg?dl=0, old post link also updated, let me know if there are still problems.

I will be adding the patch inside the mod .zip file once OPT updates again, i still don't have much spare time these days, but i am working on something:

Spoiler

3z5XwdL.png

As you can see, it's still very early in the making, let me know what you guys think about it.

I will probably add them to the next OPT patch, and there are gonna be 4 new things:
- a J cockpit, a "exploration vehicle" looking cockpit
- triangular bumps for J fuselage (used for helping with landing gear or wing placement, cargo bay for small instruments, KIS storage)
- circular rotatable VTOL engines (jet+rocket)
- a low aspect ratio wing (stubby wing) and a tail fin, like the ones in the image

Of course there might also be parts that's been requested before, i have a list of them..

but you guys know me and don't expect this finished too soon xD
It will just be something i will slowly working towards..

On 18/09/2017 at 5:39 PM, stali79 said:

1.0.9.0 is the latest version of OPT Legacy. For some unknown reason the main OPT doesnt appear on ckan at all

I know the reason and have just submitted a pull request to NetKAN to fix it.

Essentially, the metadata file they had was forcing a minimum and maximum version, causing CKAN to think OPT was available only for KSP 1.2.2, rather than pulling compatibility information from Curse.  I've removed that, so now it'll do the automatic thing.

(incidentally, if Spacedock is the preferred source for automatic CKAN data-scraping, I can set that up too).

15 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

You guys are absolutely right it was a spelling mistake by me...
I guess because FAR 1.3 update came out a abit late so no one was using it until now.

I corrected the spelling mistake: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tugtcgziz7pv35z/OPT_FAR.cfg?dl=0, old post link also updated, let me know if there are still problems.

I will be adding the patch inside the mod .zip file once OPT updates again, i still don't have much spare time these days, but i am working on something:

Reveal hidden contents

3z5XwdL.png

As you can see, it's still very early in the making, let me know what you guys think about it.

I will probably add them to the next OPT patch, and there are gonna be 4 new things:
- a J cockpit, a "exploration vehicle" looking cockpit
- triangular bumps for J fuselage (used for helping with landing gear or wing placement, cargo bay for small instruments, KIS storage)
- circular rotatable VTOL engines (jet+rocket)
- a low aspect ratio wing (stubby wing) and a tail fin, like the ones in the image

Of course there might also be parts that's been requested before, i have a list of them..

but you guys know me and don't expect this finished too soon xD
It will just be something i will slowly working towards..

A couple of things have been suggested, one of them is an adapter from J or K to Mk IV, the forward sweeping wings. I forget the others.  When you have opportunity can you send me the PSD files for the rest of the OPT textures please so I can continue working on the night ops scheme?

I just raised the capacities on these old things (and their heat tolerances a bit). The small droptank has at least as much volume as the stock Mk1 LF fuselage so why not?

Spoiler

And the K cockpit with built-in RCS will start using EC. :ph34r: It currently does not.

t7M0xcW.jpg

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I just raised the capacities on these old things (and their heat tolerances a bit). The small droptank has at least as much volume as the stock Mk1 LF fuselage so why not?

Reveal hidden contents

And the K cockpit with built-in RCS will start using EC. :ph34r: It currently does not.

t7M0xcW.jpg

Actually they were originally correct, its the mk 1 LF tanks that were out. I think it was @Starwaster who originally calculated the DT volumes and set them correctly.  As for the heat tolerances, they will have been jettisoned well before heat becomes an issue for them.

Edited by stali79

4 minutes ago, stali79 said:

Actually they were originally correct, its the mk 1 LF tanks that were out. I think it was @Starwaster who originally calculated the DT volumes and set them correctly.  As for the heat tolerances, they will have been jettisoned well before heat becomes an issue for them.

Oh, alright. I'll discard my changes. At the time I tried using them discretely for ascent stage fuel then the ship would emerge nearly circularized but still "fully fueled." I stayed on air-breathing a long time, though, leading to my decision to raise their heat tolerances.

19 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Ok I'll just jot you down as someone to never ever try to be helpful to. 

Got it.

I'm too lazy to make a reaction img but I just imagined Steve Buscemi in Billy Madison crossing names off his list but instead adding them and the list being called "People to Never Help"