[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

9 hours ago, memeconnoiseur said:

Thankyou

Also,  What makes the SAGE engine special?

What sets it apart from the others?

The SAGE and SURGE are based on a real concept for a plasma pulse jet engine which intends to be able to lift an aircraft to the edge of space using only EC and any inert gas (any atmosphere). They are "SSTO air-breathing ion drives" and can accelerate infinitely past Mach 6 and enable OPT spaceplanes to:

• Save a lot on fuel mass and engine mass when designed to operate on worlds without Oxygen
  • Return from hard planets like Eve
  • Become a little easier in upscaled and real-scale systems

So they use the mod resource IntakeAtm, and need a nuclear reactor mod to sufficiently power them. I made them because OPT has enough engines already...that only work on Kerbin and Laythe. And I play in 2.5x.

In addition to making these, I changed the old ARI-73 engine (assuming you didn't already notice). It is now a hybrid nuclear rocket. Great like a thermal turbojet in atmosphere; better than 3 stock nuke engines in vacuum.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I'm having the same problem as @KSPNoob. With OPT-Legacy preventing previous SSTOs barely breaking mach 1. I made the change to the bugged part mentioned. I'll look into it and see if I can figure it out but wanted to post so maybe we could get a few more eyeballs on the problem.

It seems to have something to do with the atmosphere itself not just the air breathing engines. I just launched a fairly overpowered rocket that uses no jet engine parts (or OPT parts) and at about 8km my velocity started dropping even though I had a TWR of 3.5. Same thing happened when I launched a very similar ship with a big rapier engine.

ETA : it may also be that I'm bad at flying SSTOs... as I'm not getting super consistent results or anything obvious popping up as I delete directories one by one. But, if it's anywhere and it's real it's in the PARTS directory. I seem to have an easier time when I don't have that installed.

Edited by helaeon
Some testing

@gilflo Yes it does. :)

@helaeon I removed those pesky modules.

1.0.9.1 Preview (Configs Only, keep your install, allow overwrites)

DOWNLOAD

• Made agents non-redundant with OPT Main
  • K SAS (Solid)
    •     Removed cargo modules
    •     Fixed tech tree location
  • WarpJet engines become more efficient in upscaled systems
  • Updated J-60D engine particles again
  • (WIP) Cargo bay fixes...again. Confirmed Stail and Stail Freight work just fine

This is mainly for anyone willing to test the cargo bays again (and maybe the WarpJets in upscaled systems) but also for players at large to get some much-needed fixes before the actual next release.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I need some advice regarding the wings that AFAIK come from this mod, Main Wings type C (as on screenshot).

3nZoNEQ.jpg

I found out that those wings are essentially hanging from one "mountpoint" that is at rear of the wing and rear of the plane. Therefore during takeoff (both vertical and horizontal), the front of a wing just wiggles up and down, totally detached  from the vehicle, either falling off or just unbalancing the plane. I found out that struting the front to main fuselage kind of fixes it.

Why are those struts even necessery? Is there a better way of puttings main wings?

3 minutes ago, agrock said:

I need some advice regarding the wings that AFAIK come from this mod, Main Wings type C (as on screenshot).

3nZoNEQ.jpg

I found out that those wings are essentially hanging from one "mountpoint" that is at rear of the wing and rear of the plane. Therefore during takeoff (both vertical and horizontal), the front of a wing just wiggles up and down, totally detached  from the vehicle, either falling off or just unbalancing the plane. I found out that struting the front to main fuselage kind of fixes it.

Why are those struts even necessery? Is there a better way of puttings main wings?

You should use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

2 minutes ago, agrock said:

Thank you! I will test KJR right away.

KJR is almost a requirement for large craft these days.

You could also set the connections to rigid and auto strutted

Edited by stali79

1 hour ago, stali79 said:

You could also set the connections to rigid and auto strutted

I have seen auto strut in action and was thinking its pretty cool, but I dont want to just make the ship into a hairball of wires. KJR is probably more "invisible" solution.

Just now, agrock said:

I have seen auto strut in action and was thinking its pretty cool, but I dont want to just make the ship into a hairball of wires. KJR is probably more "invisible" solution.

You dont see the struts with auto strut. Its like virtual struts. 

1 hour ago, agrock said:

-snip-

Every part in KSP hangs from one mount point (an attach node). The problem of the OPT wing (or any very large wing) becomes obvious when it has great weight and great surface area, and that OPT parts have weak joint strength for their size (especially in the Main Wings and Humpback fuselage). This is a normal engineering situation in KSP, and its answer is always: Strut it to another section of the craft. Autostrut to Grandparent is usually quite enough. Autostrut to Root is just as good but not always appropriate.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

4 hours ago, agrock said:

Not sure either, but there are few mods that add realism by adding MTTF on parts, and parts break down (fail randomly).

Those are I think, Kerbalism and one of Umbra mods.

None of the USI mods make parts break.  The only wear&tear in USI is that some MKS resource converters become less efficient over time as their machinery wears out.

6 hours ago, agrock said:

Not sure either, but there are few mods that add realism by adding MTTF on parts, and parts break down (fail randomly).

Those are I think, Kerbalism and one of Umbra mods.

I found that it was Ferram Aerospace Research. Thanks anyway

Edited by TastierWings77

35 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

I love the wings and winglets in this mod so much that I simpled pruned all the stock ones. Really hate all that elevons that don't fit.

Only one quick question. Why the elevons don't come already in the wings? Would save some time.

@K.Yeon explained this a while back, its partly to do with how the ksp back end works and partly to do with 1 part can have 1 transform.  Wing C for example which has 2 elevons on it, only 1 would work if it was part of the wing

37 minutes ago, kerbalfreak said:

I love the wings and winglets in this mod so much that I simpled pruned all the stock ones. Really hate all that elevons that don't fit.

Only one quick question. Why the elevons don't come already in the wings? Would save some time.

The elevons do fit. You just need to:

• Develop a strategy for attaching them (what makes it hard is that the elevons are cut out of the wings rather than clip onto a flat trailing edge of the wing)
  • Save sub-assemblies of OPT wings with the elevons pre-attached