[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

The brief on the engine balance config I've been chirping about:

Dual mode J-92 Shcramjet

Mode 1 "Turbojet" is a slight reduction in static thrust (500kN from 650kN) and a strong cap on its runaway thrust (it's not as powerful anymore when it's most powerful). It sounds a bit different and the plume is a bit different.

dCx3xu7.jpg

Mode 2 "Shcramjet" is basically the performance you're familiar with, however, it behaves much more as a real scramjet. It needs a certain minimum velocity in order to function, and the top speed limit is uncapped. Also, due to its "S.C.O.O.P." technology, this mode additionally requires ElectricCharge (3 stock fuel cell arrays per engine).

KmDwmae.jpg

HAE-02 Turboramjet (Short Mk2 engine)

Nothing special here. Just a small nerf. Lowered its static thrust from 450kN to 340kN. It was modestly too strong for a 1.25m comparable engine.

Dark Drive

It is more than just a stupidly OP engine. It is semi-alive. It will contain a resource for Dark Goo (see its description in-game). The Dark Goo is exhausted (along with LFO) while the engine burns, and also boils away in the RTG function to produce ElectricCharge. Once the goo runs out, the engine becomes dead weight. The total possible dV is now capped by the amount of Dark Goo.

Dark Goo can be refilled but it cannot be transferred or held in tanks. Be sure to have any OPT science lab, a scientist, and a bucket of Ore aboard, and a few days to spare for the refilling process. :wink: 

ARI-75 LFO engine

Like the J-92 Shcramjet, this engine contains a reference to "S.C.O.O.P." and will also require a steady flow of EC in order to function (just 1 large fuel cell per engine). With this cost, its vacuum Isp is a little higher (380s, maybe more? versus the normal 340s). The addition of a secondary mode (instant response) makes it fit for use on vacuum lander craft, however, this trades away the air-augmented rocket feature given in its name and description. The Isp will fall like any other rocket engine if used in atmosphere.

J Linear Aerospike

I finally made complete sense of a post by @martin4x4 on the previous page, used got some input from @RocketPCGaming and applied the following: raised thrust to 1600kN (from its puny 875kN), adjusted its Isp and gave it 7 degrees of very much needed pitch gimbal. It can theoretically get 16 degrees but that's a bit much. What say you?

Edited by JadeOfMaar

A bit of help please: i have a bug i think.

The kerbals in the OPT cockpits don't show up in the UI. In the regular squad cocpits, they d show up. the kerbals are there, they do their stuff, but you just don't see them. If yu transfer tehm to a regular cockpit they becoe visible. thi is valid for all teh OPT parts (h crew tanks).

I have many mods installed, what could possibly be the culprit ?

Ksp 1.3.1

Edited by Nicky21

22 minutes ago, Nicky21 said:

A bit of help please: i have a bug i think.

The kerbals in the OPT cockpits don't show up in the UI. In the regular squad cocpits, they d show up. the kerbals are there, they do their stuff, but you just don't see them. If yu transfer tehm to a regular cockpit they becoe visible. thi is valid for all teh OPT parts (h crew tanks).

I have many mods installed, what could possibly be the culprit ?

Some OPT cockpits (especially in Legacy) are missing IVAs. Unfortunately, those missing IVAs are surely not going to be made.

13 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

So I have an issue with the Deployment Bay causing my SSTO to teleport into the air a split second after I spawn it in.  

KSP 1.4 is extra fussy and very bugged (or more intolerant) of most shapes of colliders. Not only that but it reveals that some... or many... colliders in OPT parts are poorly made. It can't be helped except maybe with this.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:13 AM, Nicky21 said:

Yeah, but they HAD  IVAs. I played with it and it worked fine......

In what version of KSP?

anyone using this with FAR btw?  I'm still having a really tough time being able to get the CoL behind the CoM with these parts due to the super high amount of body lift... I know the OPT wings won't provide any lift with FAR, so I'm not using those but.. OPT is unique amongst part packs in this regard.. can't get it to balance out.  I'm guessing it must be a difference in the way FAR calculates aero vs how stock is doing it(?) .. and I remember it not being much of an issue in 1.3.1 (even though the balls in SPH were reversed for col/com still, it seemed to fly ok ... now it flies like the balls are correct.. completely aerodynamically unstable ><)

On 4/9/2018 at 11:42 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

KSP 1.4 is extra fussy and very bugged (or more intolerant) of most shapes of colliders. Not only that but it reveals that some... or many... colliders in OPT parts are poorly made. It can't be helped except maybe with this.

In what version of KSP?

I can confirm that the world stabilizer solved this problem for me in ksp 1.4.2.  After a lot of testing I've been able to identify 2 offending parts, the deployment bay and the large online docking port (same model as the deployment bay).

One interesting note, world stabilizer seems to only work with free standing ships.  Those attached to the ground with the launch stability enhancer will still pop into the air (1km) then it seems that the stability enhancers get grounded there before world stabilizer kicks in.  If you decouple from there the enhancers stay anchored in the air.

I've been contemplating a better idea for the proposed rebalance config, and reached the conclusion that it would be a great idea to roll this and all of my config work for OPT Legacy together into a new mod that affects both and is required by both. It means a 3rd OPT major download but it means players who don't want OPT Legacy won't have to download its bulk to access them.

1 hour ago, windtricks said:

has this lovely mod been abandoned? or are there still plans on beeing updated and developed?

Yes and no. :/ The main developer @K.Yeon has vanished. (He might return, I don't know when, with a big update, but I'm not optimistic.) Some of us who maintain OPT Legacy (the retirement and expansion pack for OPT) are still around. I provide updates mainly through configs but there's nothing coming in the way of all-new parts or IVA. Any parts that do come will be in OPT Legacy and are usually re-imagination of existing parts like: 

• K, KH, Humpback inline SAS
  • aerodynamic RCS that use LFO, not Mono
  • J Drone Core with RCS using LFO, not Mono
  • The J-60D dual mode engine and two warpjet engines

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yes and no. :/ The main developer @K.Yeon has vanished. (He might return, I don't know when, with a big update, but I'm not optimistic.) Some of us who maintain OPT Legacy (the retirement and expansion pack for OPT) are still around. I provide updates mainly through configs but there's nothing coming in the way of all-new parts or IVA. Any parts that do come will be in OPT Legacy and are usually re-imagination of existing parts like: 

Link for your craft file? BTW, nothing y'all make will ever beat my MOCKINGJAY! MWAHAAHAHAH :D:P 

11 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Link for your craft file?

Eh? I'm just listing parts that were made by scaling and recoding things. :/ But I have some samples on my KerbalX. (Click the Enterprise to go)

To be specific, here are my trial craft for most of these parts:

12 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

BTW, nothing y'all make will ever beat my MOCKINGJAY! MWAHAAHAHAH :D:P 

Two of these can ascend from Eve. Can yours? :wink: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Don't get me started on cheaty things. OPT is based in sci-fi. People need to see that and deal with it, or uninstall OPT. :/ But I have a config coming that'll tame things a bit.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:37 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

Dark Drive

It is more than just a stupidly OP engine. It is semi-alive. It will contain a resource for Dark Goo (see its description in-game). The Dark Goo is exhausted (along with LFO) while the engine burns, and also boils away in the RTG function to produce ElectricCharge. Once the goo runs out, the engine becomes dead weight. The total possible dV is now capped by the amount of Dark Goo.

Dark Goo can be refilled but it cannot be transferred or held in tanks. Be sure to have any OPT science lab, a scientist, and a bucket of Ore aboard, and a few days to spare for the refilling process. :wink: 

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

ok, thanks for keeping it alive

[1.4.2] OPT Legacy v1.1.0

• Added dependency/migrated most MM patches to --> OPT Reconfig mod
  • Added LFO version of aerodynamic OMS blocks
  • Added Mk2 ram intake (it will not cause any game or craft issues, and Legacy had it first)
  • Fixed 
    • CCK support (OPT category will show if OPT Legacy without OPT Main is installed)
    • Manufacturer in blade antenna and some tanks
    • bulkhead profile in J-81 engine, spotted by Kolago
    • Stail lab science cap, is 1050 now, not 500
  • Added Tweakscale for all the surface-attached RCS
  • Replaced FS dependency in Stail docking and utility bay with stock module
  • Configured engines:
    • Retuned WarpJets and fixed Isp problem. SAGE is a little stronger now and will flameout at 9 atm, not 3 atm
    • Adjusted particles for all engines (again =D )
    • Use cases
      • J-61 is no longer as wasteful or wildly OP but is a dynamic scramjet now (endless acceleration with Isp falloff)
      • J-60 is also a dynamic scramjet (endless acceleration with Isp falloff)
      • J-60D requires EC in ClosedCycle, Isp lowered so the J-81 stands alone as highest Isp vac engine (like Dark Drive) but J-60D in closed cycle remains very powerful near sea-level in atmo unlike J-81
      • J-81 requires EC in ClosedCycle and is poor near sea level, gets a boost at 0.3 atm pressure
      • J-81 airbreathing mode adjusted for thick atmosphere
      • Stail Linear Aerospike has better thrust and Isp
    • Gimbals
      • J-81 visibly animates: given plenty Yaw authority and slight Pitch authority due to dual nozzle (emulate differential thrust)
      • J-60 and J-60D same as J-81 but do not animate
      • WarpJet SURGE given half gimbal ranges of J-60, J-60D
      • Stail Linear Aerospike does not animate but is given plenty Pitch authority

Get OPT Legacy :: SpaceDock

Get OPT Reconfig :: SpaceDock

Edited by JadeOfMaar