[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

@Apaseall Open the Alt+F12 window, go to either of these categories: Physics, Aero then check the boxes for show Aero/Thermal info in PAW (Part Action Window/Part right-click window). Once you have any kind of velocity, right-click a part inside a cargo bay and see if it's producing any drag at all. If it's producing drag then it's not shielded by the cargo bay. Once you're over Mach 4 or some higher speed, check the same way for heat (I don't remember what keys to look at exactly but it should be obvious).

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Apaseall Open the Alt+F12 window, go to either of these categories: Physics, Aero then check the boxes for show Aero/Thermal info in PAW (Part Action Window/Part right-click window). Once you have any kind of velocity, right-click a part inside a cargo bay and see if it's producing any drag at all. If it's producing drag then it's not shielded by the cargo bay. Once you're over Mach 4 or some higher speed, check the same way for heat (I don't remember what keys to look at exactly but it should be obvious).

Show In Action Menu is what I think you mean, to get PAW info. I am in space right now but I see the data. I will take a peek during next take off. Which might be soon if I crash lol. Thanks.

Here is a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0y8o1xw20xemzx7/save for JadeOfMaar.Cargo.Bay.Drag.1.screenshot19.png?dl=0

Lots of info. But I think there is drag. Can you confirm?

I went into the editor before launch, waved the mouse around a bit, watched the pretty colours and took the plane apart a bit. Things appear to be attached to other things in a manner that I expected. Namely stuff that looks like it is inside a cargo bay is attached to stuff that eventually reach back to being attached to the cargo bay. I was double checking that I had not attached something to the end of a fuel tank say, and that although it looked like it was part of the cargo bay, it was only visually there and not structurally. As I say, things are inside things that they are attached to. All good there then.

If you look closely you will see I used time control to slow down time to enable screenshot capture. Unfortunately I did not manage to take off successfully. Which is odd. As at normal speed I can. It's not very forgiving but once I learnt how, yes I can get it up.

edit.

Just in case you are wondering. The crashes are due to slight bounce on the runway. This results in broken from landing gears and broken runway. Everything else sort of piles into those and stuff goes boom.

edit.

I had a terrible thought. That the ability to shield items within itself belongs to the model. That those models are not available in source file form. Thus nothing can be done. If this is the case, then are there other OPT parts that do have the source available? A rebuild of my plane using say J form factor for a random example.

Edited by Apaseall

@JadeOfMaar Sorry if this has been pointed out before. The OPT Stail Class Fairing Monopropellant Tank part doesn't seem to actually have any radial attachment points. So even though it states that's what it's for, you can only install it inline in a stack of parts. 

@Apaseall I will test cargo drag stuff later this week maybe. Your wheel situation sounds like a kraken or a very weak joint between where your wheels are and the heaviest part. Right now I can agree with you that there's nothing that can be done by me about cargo bays and OPT's source. Sorry, man. I think I finally have enough, apart from that, for a small OPT Legacy release. Right now I'm working on getting the Dark Science production in OPT labs to persist under WBI.

@Magnavox I'll get on that and include it in the update(s) I'll release in a while.

OPT Legacy release 1.1.1

• Fixed RCS in Legacy K cockpits
  • Renamed 2.5m ILS cockpit to fix repeat part name issue and part icon spam in the tech tree
  • Fixed bulkhead profile in WarpJet SAGE engine
  • Fixed 2.5m ISP cockpit problem (now there's a new/returning part: the ISP Cockpit Legacy)
  • Added missing surface attach for Stail Fairing Monopropellant Tank

:: DOWNLOAD ::

Hey @JadeOfMaar I've been using OPT with KSPI-E for methane fueled space planes in 1.3. In my new 1.4.3 install I can't for the life of me get your parts to have methane tanks (short of adding them to every single part's file) and I cant find anything explaining how to do it on this thread either. Am I missing something? I am pretty stupid.

4 hours ago, DimDumbDimWit said:

Hey @JadeOfMaar I've been using OPT with KSPI-E for methane fueled space planes in 1.3. In my new 1.4.3 install I can't for the life of me get your parts to have methane tanks (short of adding them to every single part's file) and I cant find anything explaining how to do it on this thread either. Am I missing something? I am pretty stupid.

2 hours ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Hey all I’m using kerbal atomicss and cryogenic rockets this adds liquid hydrogen as a fuel.

Do you both have my mod, OPT Reconfig? It makes adding fuel options to OPT far easier. Nertea's Cryogenic Engines is supported so LH2 and LH2O are already available, and you can study my configs to add your own fuel options.

But if you use Pathfinder by Angel-125 with OPT Reconfig, you get to use its OmniStorage with OPT and will already have access to every installed resource to fill OPT tanks with.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Do you both have my mod, OPT Reconfig? It makes adding fuel options to OPT far easier. Nertea's Cryogenic Engines is supported so LH2 and LH2O are already available, and you can study my configs to add your own fuel options.

But if you use Pathfinder by Angel-125 with OPT Reconfig, you get to use its OmniStorage with OPT and will already have access to every installed resource to fill OPT tanks with.

Haven't used opt reconfig. I'm using 1.31 ksp version can I even do it with that?

27 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:
  Reveal hidden contents

66223804.jpg

I use it in 1.3.1 half the time.

So.... just do it. :D 

Ill try to check it out. 

The description says it replaces B9 and fires Potter, what happens if I already have those.  Won't that mess up other mods?

9 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Ill try to check it out. 

The description says it replaces B9 and fires Potter, what happens if I already have those.  Won't that mess up other mods?

It requires B9. And it replaces Firespitter only within OPT. It will not affect other mods.

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It requires B9. And it replaces Firespitter only within OPT. It will not affect other mods.

Last few questions, it says I need legacy, I never installed it before will I have duplicate parts in my space plane hanger now? Do I need to the latest legacy version? I have KSP 1.31 and don't want to have glitches. 

With  reconfig you re-balanced all the engines? 

If I download this mod should I delete the firespitter plugin?

Edited by HaydenTheKing

53 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Last few questions, it says I need legacy, I never installed it before will I have duplicate parts in my space plane hanger now? Do I need to the latest legacy version? I have KSP 1.31 and don't want to have glitches. 

With  reconfig you re-balanced all the engines? 

If I download this mod should I delete the firespitter plugin?

1. Some parts are duplicate yet with subtle differences, like cockpits. Don't worry about being spammed by them. OPT Legacy adds two Avatar Valkyrie style K cockpits which are nearly identical, and a short variant of a 2.5m one. It adds 2 Mk2 cockpits and copies of the aerodynamic RCS which use LFO whereas you only have the MonoPropellant option. However, and yo could consider this spam, the entire 'Stail' class was once the current J class, and the 'Humpback' and 'Chimera' classes resemble the current K class.
    You don't need OPT Legacy.... But OPT Legacy needs OPT Reconfig. If you do install OPT Legacy, you get more options for everything, really, and engines that work much better on planets other than Kerbin and Laythe. If you get problems, feel free to uninstall it.
  2. Yes. OPT Reconfig answers the players' cries for OPT to cease being wildly OP.
  3. If you don't use anything else that requires Firespitter, yes you can remove Firespitter.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

10 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:
  1. Some parts are duplicate yet with subtle differences, like cockpits. Don't worry about being spammed by them. OPT Legacy adds two Avatar Valkyrie style K cockpits which are nearly identical, and a short variant of a 2.5m one. It adds 2 Mk2 cockpits and copies of the aerodynamic RCS which use LFO whereas you only have the MonoPropellant option. However, and yo could consider this spam, the entire 'Stail' class was once the current J class, and the 'Humpback' and 'Chimera' classes resemble the current K class.
    You don't need OPT Legacy.... But OPT Legacy needs OPT Reconfig. If you do install OPT Legacy, you get more options for everything, really, and engines that work much better on planets other than Kerbin and Laythe. If you get problems, feel free to uninstall it.
  2. Yes. OPT Reconfig answers the players' cries for OPT to cease being wildly OP.
  3. If you don't use anything else that requires Firespitter, yes you can remove Firespitter.

Sorry to keep harassing you (finally got KSP super modded and stable.) I did like alot of the old legacy parts (specifically the scram jets they had a cool look). If I delete parts out of the legacy part pack would that be ok or does it need them all to work?

22 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Sorry to keep harassing you (finally got KSP super modded and stable.) I did like alot of the old legacy parts (specifically the scram jets they had a cool look). If I delete parts out of the legacy part pack would that be ok or does it need them all to work?

Super modded. Oh boy... :P It's very safe to prune parts, if you know what you're doing/if you know how the models and textures are connected. A given texture file may be used by bunches of parts, not necessarily all in one place.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

So I just tried the scramjet engine thing. 

What is the sorcery

worked like a normal jet, then I got a bit too high and fast, and it pretty much kicked into high gear and shot me into a sub-orbital orbit.

4 hours ago, Infernx1 said:

it pretty much kicked into high gear and shot me into a sub-orbital

Orbit Portal Technology.

Have a nice day. Lol.

Spoiler

If you decide it's "too OP" then click my signature where it says "OPT Reconfig" ;) 

I've been fiddling with the various engines here, and while I like them all, some of the details are a little confusing for me to figure out.

For instance, several of the engines require electric charge, but the charge requires more and more as the output ramps up, often going well over what's listed. Is there a way to give a min-max value somehow so I can plan for it? Likewise, on a few of the crafts, I inexplicably run out of atmosphere at a certain phase of flight, but not in other seemingly very similar setups. Any way to gauge how much intake I need? Some of these engines I can coast at 30km pretty comfortably with little effort, others I can barely keep the ship up at 30km, while all other things seem to be equal.

These are some great, fun new additions, but it's a little perplexing to try to use them at this point, and that's only on Kerbin. I can't begin to fathom how these properties might change for very thin atmospheres like Duna, or very heavy ones like Eve. (Can we go into Jool? Hhhmmm..)

Either way, great work! Just would be nice if there was some hints on how to use each of these properly.

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Super modded. Oh boy... :P It's very safe to prune parts, if you know what you're doing/if you know how the models and textures are connected. A given texture file may be used by bunches of parts, not necessarily all in one place.

Ya almost a 100 mods. Reading the reconfig instructions it says 1.1 or higher for the legacy pack.  That version is for ksp 1.4, I have 1.31 will that work ok, I didn't want to update module manager or anything.

36 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

Ya almost a 100 mods. Reading the reconfig instructions it says 1.1 or higher for the legacy pack.  That version is for ksp 1.4, I have 1.31 will that work ok, I didn't want to update module manager or anything.

There's no worry concerning the KSP version. It's all safe to use in 1.3

Hey Jade of Maar, is there a list of changes to the parts posted somewhere?  I'm looking at some and wondering how they still not way over powered.  The J-61 is unlocked before the default ram jet, the whiplash.  I figured the J-61 would be after the rapiers or near them?

6 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

list of changes to the parts posted somewhere? 

:: OPT Legacy :: OPT Reconfig ::

I've considered moving the J-61. I left it because I felt a lazy urge to not move it, but as somewhat compensation it's the most gas-guzzling of all.

8 minutes ago, HaydenTheKing said:

I'm looking at some and wondering how they still not way over powered.

I don't quite get it.