[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

17 hours ago, stali79 said:

I apologize, I was the person originally responsible for the Legacy Pack

well then let me just say

"Thank You"

for doing that, You do good work 

I have enjoyed using this mod for year's now. and so have many other here.

Thanks

Jammer-TD

Edited by Jammer-TD
plural

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

no more updates from anyone?

I'm spread too thin across mods I own and want to start or finish, and I don't have godly motivation to work like Nertea and CobaltWolf do. OPT being "done" is why I made OPT Reconfig (as long as adding parts is not involved).

...I have a few parts planned to add to OPT but this portion of OPT development is something I'm alone and don't want to be alone with, and I'm burned out on KSP so motivation is all-around low.

3 hours ago, prelog15 said:

i can model the parts but i cant program them

It would be great if you could do more than just that. But PM me and show me your skills. :p

im kind of the same at the moment, i cant get the motivation to go through my youtube save and figure whats causing me to not be able to save anymore, but i have been making some ships in another save mainly with opt.

just to begin with a was looking for end cap parts, like a flatish and pointed ones for the large cargo bays, i hav  a design but it looks crap with all the spare holes in it :p 

@Space Kadet I ended up looking at your youtube channel a few hours ago. I'm a big fan of your series and I was wondering how you've been coping with the little one and little things. :D

Thanks for the reminder. OPT K could do with a dedicated nose or two. What else are you interested in? I can't say I'll deliver anything but I'm curious to what else the people want.

The final straw that burned me out with KSP was LGG's Science Alert borking when I grabbed its latest version (no offense meant to LGG. I'm grateful that he made it available again in the first place, and granted that escape from the lag problem in [x] Science!). After the previous hell I went through just for a science tracking mod and my highly modded science save, I noped right out of playing KSP and out of troubleshooting anything at all.

54 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Space KadetI noped right out of playing KSP and out of troubleshooting anything at all.

Sorry SpaceKadet... this is meant for Jade... stoopid forum wont let me delete your tag from the quote :rolleyes:

Jade, I'm *very* sorry to hear that :(

Again, i am having RL and computer issues, so my motivation and ability to keep trying with KSP "stuff" is also kinda low right now...
I feel bad that I havent finished those OPT parts yet .. They are always on my mind tho...

And to anyone wondering or considering of taking up the mantle of "continuing" OPT:

Know this... While OPT is an *awesome* mod, and K Yeon did wonders with it... It is also, a *HUGE* rabbit-hole behind the scenes...
While not wrong, or incorrect, and possibly just "dated", many of the ways he created the parts is now kind of unconventional or not-quite the way many other devs would do things for current version of KSP. And it takes a huge amount of work to "change/fix/optimize/modify/add to" OPT... not only the models and textures, but as shown with the awesome job Jade has done with balancing/functionality/adding support for several other mods, that i am sure has also been a *ton* of work and time to do...

Several people have optimistically jumped into doing things with/to OPT under the hood... and then realised how deep the rabbit-hole goes, and the time involved... and have somewhat burned themselves out on it...

I have poked around, and tried to modify many old mods... and I have been consistently told over and over by many *very* experienced mod devs in the KSP community, that the best thing for a new or inexperienced modder, is to start fresh with something, rather than trying to revive an existing mod. (NOT that I have ever listened :face_palm:)
In most cases, there is only madness in going that route, especially for someone who is not experienced.

I'm *not* saying NOT to contribute or poke around with OPT... I'm just trying to offer advice and my own, as well as others seeming experience, so people wanting to "pick up the mantle" so to say, can tread a little moar cautiously before jumping in feet first... Lets say OPT is the "deep end" of the pool... Looks very inviting, and people want to head to that end before the "kiddie-pool"... Ideas for great things abound... but if you jump in before having at least some ability at intermediate swimming...
You can end up driving yourself mad trying to figure out/fixing the way someone else did something... or picking up their bad habits... or burning out your interest of trying out modding quite quickly.

OPT is a beast of a wonderful mod... But for "new" people, I would recommend lesser, simpler mods to attempt to learn with...

Edited by Stone Blue

14 minutes ago, TronX33 said:

Not sure if this goes here or in the reconfig thread, but ona a clean 1.6.1 install, KSP is stuck loading the SAGE engine. I can provide logs if needed.

The SAGE and SURGE engines need Community Resource Pack.

Hi,

I've been trying to load KSP with OPT Legacy but it gets stuck on the SAGE engine.

I'm running 1.6.1.

My GameData-

CkzSwIf.png

And the part where it is stuck-

XI15Etd.png

I did install the reconfig too.

Edited by Thorn_Ike
clarify

The OPT-W wings are not providing any lift. I don't know if its a mod conflict or a bug. 

Mod List:https://imgur.com/4bTHscJ

All of the mods are installed via CKAN except for the non-legacy version of OPT. (Did a fresh install of all mods a couple of days ago)

Difference between Legacy and Non-Legacy. https://imgur.com/a/LVXyB4M

@parrote3 You have FAR installed (at least, just its folder, "FerramAerospaceResearch" which you should delete because you give me the impression that it should not be there). All OPT parts (heck, supposedly all parts, stock and mods) are supposed to lose their lift modules. (I don't get why some lose their lift modules.) If you have another mod that includes a FAR config for OPT, delete that as OPT Reconfig includes one.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

I will try that. I had FAR installed but uninstalled it. I guess the FAR folder persisted. 

Edit: You are right. I deleted the remnants of Far and the "new" wings work now. Thanks for your time.  

Edited by parrote3

Finally (nearly) finished this one thing I've wanted pretty badly for a long time.

Introducing... The 7m OPT "Nebula Shock" intake, inspired by the SABRE intercooler and custom made to complete the OPT J-92 "Nebula" Shcramjet. Currently it has no function other than to hold a very generous amount of air which can delay the flameout of the J-92 (and any other attached air-breathing engine, really) but it is envisioned to be a powerful device capable of (and hosting) the electromagnetic voodoo in the part description for the engine, and maybe more.

It may get an air-speed-dependent power generating function to help meet the J-92's ElectricCharge demand in Shcramjet mode but it won't get any abilities involving Oxidizer.

The brown section is supposed to be an array of Copper (or undisclosed sci-fi metal alloy) EM field coils. I might turn it blue like OPT's bulkheads. It also still needs work. This part will most likely be released in OPT Legacy.

9DF87fO.jpg

Its patterns just happen to line up nicely with those of the short end of the Main Wing [A].

YcliZsd.jpg

Spoiler

I'm not taking requests for parts. Sorry. My to-do list is already really long.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar it looks gorgeous! I like the nod to the SABRE engine and can see the inspiration there.  Please take these questions as curiosities and not requests as I know you're swamped and a bit burnt out as well.  Since this is inspired by the SABRE, will the shock cone move forward when closed to create a more aerodynamic profile (if that's even possible in ksp) or will you keep it static?  Also, what is the purpose of the EM field?

@kraden Sorry, I don't intend for the cone to animate (but that might change now). I wasn't always aware of the ability for a shock cone to animate or when I expected ones to (in B9 Aerospace or the ZZZ Japier engine mount), they did not for me. B9 Aerospace has an animation plugin so I expect about three very specific B9 intakes to animate.

The purpose of the EM field is rooted in MagnetoHydroDynamics, the science of moving fluid with, or exploiting the motion of a fluid, with an EM field emitter. IRL concept devices for this exist and have the promise of efficient and clean locomotion, energy generation, and thermal control for reentry. This purpose also ties into OPT's S.C.O.O.P. technology which enables large scale ionization (to the point of virtually becoming a Tokamak or ARC fusion reactor) of intake gases and focusing the resulting plasma stream for thrust.

@JadeOfMaar I figured it was a slim chance of animation, but I had to ask :P

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but essentially the EM field is for magnetic confinement?  Didn't know that could be used for thermal control.  Will have to look into that.  Thanks

@kraden It seemed simple enough. The intake animation works now. (Requires B9AnimationModules plugin; Also responds to the Intake Toggle button but only the first one in the case of mods adding intake modules.)

vIc2d4P.jpg

yde9yBH.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Love this mod and all the SP parts however when I attempt to load a prebuilt craft from the included ships folder and launch via the runway they all spawn 1,000 meters in the air???

Have installed correctly via CKAN...

Using KSP Ver 1.6.1

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks!

Edited by Kilo60