[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:28 PM, Kilo60 said:

Love this mod and all the SP parts however when I attempt to load a prebuilt craft from the included ships folder and launch via the runway they all spawn 1,000 meters in the air???

Have installed correctly via CKAN...

Using KSP Ver 1.6.1

Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks!

Anyone?

3 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Thanks!

But does this mod cause catastrophic conflicts with the Bon Voyage mod as I've heard?

You're welcome. I've thought of trying out Bon Voyage but I've never done so (which makes it easy for me to choose between that and OPT), so I'm not aware of this possible conflict. I can tell you for sure, however, that sometimes WorldStabilzier causes some craft to load high enough (only a few meters) that when they land, they can flip over or break. That is something I'm more willing to put up with vs things spawning underground and being destroyed by clipping the ground.

I've been using the two together without much issue.  I won't say for sure I haven't had any since I've mostly been doing shorter trips - from what I remember, the main problems were with people using Bon Voyage to do trips a significant percentage of the circumference of the planet they were on, and then the rover spawning in the wrong orientation.  (That is: So it was flat to where the ground was when it started, not to level where it was now.)  Worst case being if you went to the other side of the planet, the rover would spawn upside down.

However, I believe I they worked together to get it fixed - and as I said, I haven't seen anything.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

I've been using the two together without much issue.  I won't say for sure I haven't had any since I've mostly been doing shorter trips - from what I remember, the main problems were with people using Bon Voyage to do trips a significant percentage of the circumference of the planet they were on, and then the rover spawning in the wrong orientation.  (That is: So it was flat to where the ground was when it started, not to level where it was now.)  Worst case being if you went to the other side of the planet, the rover would spawn upside down.

However, I believe I they worked together to get it fixed - and as I said, I haven't seen anything.

Great thanks!

Also, what's the proper procedure to use the OPT scramjet engines to assist in getting into LKO...?

I've been bulldozing up to about 25km on turbojets and firing the additional attached rocket motors for the added boost. 

Activating the Scrams usually causes an instant flameout for reasons I can't figure out?  Are the Scrams only used at a specific speed and altitude?

Thanks!

@Kilo60 The J-92 Nebula engine is dual mode and honestly should get you to near orbital velocity on its Turbojet mode alone. Most OPT jet engines perform optimally at 11km altitude (0.1 atm pressure). The best time to change mode on the J-92 is Mach 5 ~ 5.5 and not as high up as 25km. If your ascent is as steep as I think it is, then quite possibly, you're skipping right through the performance window for the scramjet mode. It requires you to be traveling at no less than Mach 4.2, and you may be very short on IntakeAir capacity. The J-92's scramjet mode also requires EC so maybe you're quite short on battery.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:35 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

The intake animation works now. (Requires B9AnimationModules plugin; Also responds to the Intake Toggle button but only the first one in the case of mods adding intake modules.)

That intake looks SICK! 

I want to play with it.

Really dumb question and its probably been answered at some point.  To clarify, the Legacy pack needs the Reconfig to run from what I'm reading.  But when I install them, I get the new nebula intake but not the nebula engines.  Is there something I'm missing?

On 3/30/2019 at 4:24 AM, skygunner58203 said:

Really dumb question and its probably been answered at some point.  To clarify, the Legacy pack needs the Reconfig to run from what I'm reading.  But when I install them, I get the new nebula intake but not the nebula engines.  Is there something I'm missing?

I've also got that problem. I also have a problem where some of the alternate textures don't work i.e. some parts will switch textures just fine but others won't change texture when I press the next texture button.

Hi! I use FAR, but the wings don't seem to be affected by the patches, only the fuselage parts. Any idea why this could be, and what to do? I tried downloading and applying the provided patch, but I don't know if it actually works or if I'm not applying it in the right folder. Any kind of help is welcome!

Where are all the other engines and the KH fuselage? I have OPT Spaceplane, OPT Legacy, And OPT Reconfig, as well as all IVA dependancies.

also, where are all the juno parts? i have the adaptors but nothing else...

and there is no solitary humpback fuel tank...

and the chimera cockpit doesn't display crew in-flight and has no IVA...

Edited by Fraston

53 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Where are all the other engines and the KH fuselage? I have OPT Spaceplane, OPT Legacy, And OPT Reconfig, as well as all IVA dependancies.

you did not combine all three folders, did you?

20 hours ago, memeconnoiseur said:

I've also got that problem. I also have a problem where some of the alternate textures don't work i.e. some parts will switch textures just fine but others won't change texture when I press the next texture button.

OPT Reconfig is recommended for use with OPT, and required for use of OPT Legacy.

The "Night Mode" texture stuff is supposed to not work anymore. It uses Firespitter but I purge Firespitter from OPT. I recently saw Textures Unlimited used as KerbPaint so maybe you can use that for a substitute.

15 hours ago, DownHereInChile said:

Hi! I use FAR, but the wings don't seem to be affected by the patches, only the fuselage parts. Any idea why this could be, and what to do? I tried downloading and applying the provided patch, but I don't know if it actually works or if I'm not applying it in the right folder. Any kind of help is welcome!

I can't help with FAR. I don't use it. All I know is that there is a config, I polished its existing patches for the wing parts (with what I can gather based on assumptions) and I published it. Proper support will require someone who both loves OPT and FAR, and can write a FAR config.

8 hours ago, Fraston said:

• Something is very wrong in your install if the missing engines haven't loaded and you get invalid parts warnings on your crafts. Otherwise, look in the tech tree. They are concentrated between Aerospace Tech and a new tech node I add after it.
  • Your install may be messed up since you're missing the KH fuselage.
  • "Juno" parts have been renamed to "Stail."
  • There never was a solid Humpback fuel tank (afaik).
  • Some cockpits never had an IVA made, or they were lost in the storm of messy OPT updates around, I think, KSP 1.3.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@Space Kadet I ended up looking at your youtube channel a few hours ago. I'm a big fan of your series and I was wondering how you've been coping with the little one and little things. :D

Thanks for the reminder. OPT K could do with a dedicated nose or two. What else are you interested in? I can't say I'll deliver anything but I'm curious to what else the people want.

The final straw that burned me out with KSP was LGG's Science Alert borking when I grabbed its latest version (no offense meant to LGG. I'm grateful that he made it available again in the first place, and granted that escape from the lag problem in [x] Science!). After the previous hell I went through just for a science tracking mod and my highly modded science save, I noped right out of playing KSP and out of troubleshooting anything at all.

hows this for a late reply....

the wee one was stressfull, a few ilnesses and shisnae, but its goin ok, and my ksp install corruped the save so badly its unusable anymore. It ( much like you ) actually put me off ksp so bad i havent opened it in a few months. 

However im startin to look at it again now i can get 4 hours of sleep again, and i think im just gonna rip out the crafts from the save and shove them in a new save. maybe try and use alien space program to shove the base on the moon seen as i was there anyway, not quite sure. nice to see your still poking opt, between this and @Angel-125's mods its always in my base game.

appart from that i got into rust, and have been runnin a soloDuo server for that for a while :p

I have been making a craft using OPT parts and B9 Aerospace parts and when I went to launch it, it spawned 999m above the runway. I added clamps simply thinking it was a bug so it could stick to the ground and it still spawned 999m above the runway. I would add a picture but I don't know how.

2 hours ago, OPBlue said:

it spawned 999m above the runway.

Install this. Then try not to add launch clamps to OPT planes with J inline docking ports or J deploy bay. If you do add clamps afterward and these parts are present, the craft will spawn 999m up, with the clamps (but at least they won't fall after spawning).

Heya! First of all a big thank you for this wonderful mod. I cannot even imagine my space planes without the parts from OPT anymore. A great piece of work.

For people I have seen complaining about the overpowered engines (and I cannot blame them, the engines really are super powerful!), I might have some suggestions. I went to the config files and tweaked some of the properties to make them a bit more balanced with the stock engines. The HAE High Altitude engine got its ISP lowered to 3600 (so that my favourite Whiplash still has at least one advantage over it) and its mass almost doubled (I was thinking it's almost twice the size of rapiers, so why should it be the same weight?). ARI Scoop engines got their mass almost trippled, so that the stock aerospike can still compete with them on lighter vessels, and the infamously powerful Dark Drive engine (and I am really proud of this one) got power hungry.

I made the Dark Drive engine drain electric charge at a rate of 200 EC per second (the ratio is something like 0.9 LF / 1.1 Ox / 50 EC in the config file). This creates a really interesting challenge of providing required electricity for the engine and gives a very important role to all the nuclear reactors found in various other mods (I personally use Planet Base Systems and MK2 Expansion mods both of which feature nuclear reactors). All of the reactors are fairly heavy and require powerful cooling, while the most efficient radiators cannot be used when in flight in a an atmosphere. Having a huge pile of batteries and many many gigantor solar panels is the lighter (and cheaper) alternative, that on the other hand doesn't allow for longer continuous burns without recharging. This little change made my end-game so much more fun and I highly recommend doing something similar to anyone who finds the engines a bit too powerful for their taste.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I have found a bug: the drone cores provided by the mod seem to ignore their attachment when it come to calculating the drag. No matter where or how I attached them, they seem to generate the same amount of drag as if put in the very front of the aircraft, slowing it down tremendously. I might be using an older version of OPT, so if this has been fixed recently, sorry for bringing it up.

EDIT: I just discovered your OPT Reconfig. You beat me to it. :)

Edited by Aelipse

@captinjoehenry I have a link in my sig that points to all my mods. The ones that I actively care about are Airline Kuisine, Thor Tech, SABR3 Sterling and OPT Reconfig, all of which matter to spaceplane design. I also actively maintain OPT Legacy and I've added a few parts to it since I took over (the K, KH, Humpback SAS, the Power Spheres, 2.5m shock intake, and the Mk2 WarpJet engines).

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

@captinjoehenry I have a link in my sig that points to all my mods. The ones that I actively care about are Airline Kuisine, Thor Tech, SABR3 Sterling and OPT Reconfig, all of which matter to spaceplane design. I also actively maintain OPT Legacy and I've added a few parts to it since I took over (the K, KH, Humpback SAS, the Power Spheres, 2.5m shock intake, and the Mk2 WarpJet engines).

Ah my bad mobile doesn’t display signatures