[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

19 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I see you have OPT Legacy installed.. the Humpback to Juno (J-class) adapter is just that... your issue is that that is *not* a Juno (J-class) aerospike... It is Stail class...
The Stail class is *very* close to the Juno profile, but as you can see, doesnt *quite* fit... vOv

Currently, there are no parts to cross Humpback directly with Stail parts.

Also, there is technically only *one* J-class part specific to OPT Legacy, and that's the J Cockpit Legacy...
The drone core and RCS unit are actually parts from OPT Main, but are cloned in Legacy, if Main is not installed as well...
If you want a full line-up of J-class parts, you need to install OPT Main, as well...

By OPT main am I correct to assume you mean "OPT Space Plane" in CKAN? it says it is updated to work in 1.3.9, but does it still work on the current version? I'd hate to lose my campaign installing a mod that doesnt work well with it.

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

By OPT main am I correct to assume you mean "OPT Space Plane" in CKAN? it says it is updated to work in 1.3.9, but does it still work on the current version? I'd hate to lose my campaign installing a mod that doesnt work well with it.

I dont touch CKAN, so I do not know what its specifically called there... I even get confused with the naming between it and Legacy on SpaceDock...

However, *this* thread you are posting in, is the thread for OPT "Main"... "Main" is an "unofficial" name that has been given to it by the community, to differentiate between it and Legacy. You can probably refer to the first post, to clarify your CKAN question... or at least use the link to manually grab the pack from SpaceDock...

I believe KYeon intended to have the parts in Legacy completely disappear forever, after the "remake" that contains the new stuff... So I assume there was no need to rename the mod, so "officially", its still only Orbit Portal Technology Space Plane Parts...
It was after that, that idk who exactly, grabbed up the old parts and "re-released" them as a seperate pack, naming them OPT Legacy... I dont think there was ever a new, seperate thread created for the "Legacy" pack, until JadeOfMaar created one when he made the Reconfig patches...

*That* thread is where both OPT Reconfig and OPT Legacy mods are hosted and discussed... NOT this thread... ;)
Sorry for any confusion, but it is what it is... it can be difficult to have clear threads and discussions when mods are taken over, or split off, without a good "hand-off", from original dev to anyone else who gets involved... vOv

Heres the Reconfig/Legacy thread:

And to answer your question, OPT is a strictly parts pack, and does not include any plugins (.dll files) of its own, so it should pretty much work in any version of KSP.... from 1.3.0 (possibly even earlier), up to and including any future versions...
So, yes... it does still currently work as-is... I would however highly recommend *always* having OPT Reconfig installed with either OPT Main, or Legacy pack... It is an awesome set of patches that tweaks both packs, and helps keep them current and compatable with both stock KSP and many other great mods.

Edited by Stone Blue

I finally had the time to try the mod out and once again I have to say that I really like it. :D

Only thing that bothers me is that I have two buttons to switch the fuel type. Does anyone else have this?

3 hours ago, ISOREX_ said:

Only thing that bothers me is that I have two buttons to switch the fuel type.

My first guess is that you have OPT Reconfig installed twice. Make sure that it only exists where it should within your GameData. My second guess is that you have a fuel switcher mod that affects OPT but is not disabled by OPT Reconfig.

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

My first guess is that you have OPT Reconfig installed twice. Make sure that it only exists where it should within your GameData. My second guess is that you have a fuel switcher mod that affects OPT but is not disabled by OPT Reconfig.

Thanks for the fast reply. I don't think it's two installs of OPT Reconfigurations since they are different kind of switches (see here). Here's a modlist of my current mods, maybe anyone can spot the problem. https://imgur.com/a/J7LGLkf

32 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@ISOREX_ That's not a problem. That's a recent new feature of B9PS. It's for convenience when you have tanks that have many options.

Ah my apologies then, I thought it was a bit confusing but I guess if you have many more fuel types it can be useful. Thanks for the help.

Edited by ISOREX_

32 minutes ago, Penkover said:

Can I request a new part?

- Mounted H cockpit, used for KH sized planes with K sized cargo doors in front.

Unfortunately this mod has been in a maintennance state for over 12 months now as @K.Yeon is mia.

@Stephen Locksley Look at your navball. 320m/s is the speed of sound in KSP, however it drifts a bit when atmosphere temperature and pressure changes. Sonic booms only exist when you're in a static position and something else passes you at the speed of sound. You'll never experience a sonic boom while you're in the object moving at incredible speed. And lastly, KSP does not , and will not, model that.

Also, what's with the quote?

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Stephen Locksley Look at your navball. 320m/s is the speed of sound in KSP, however it drifts a bit when atmosphere temperature and pressure changes. Sonic booms only exist when you're in a static position and something else passes you at the speed of sound. You'll never experience a sonic boom while you're in the object moving at incredible speed. And lastly, KSP does not , and will not, model that.

Also, what's with the quote?

This mod has its engines reach the speed of sound, but Airplane Plus planes can also reach the speed of sound. The Wheesley engine, which is a stock part in KSP, has an enough thrust to reach the speed of sound.

Is there anything additional needed that adds the OPT parts in their own category? I have KSPIE, B9 wings, and Kerbal Attachment System, and they all have their own category, but OPT does not. This makes locating parts difficult unless I look in the 'all _' section, or search for OPT.

• 1 month later...

@gilflo If you're not already using OPT Reconfig I highly recommend you do. It makes OPT more compatible with popular mods, re-tunes the engines to have more believable behaviors and fixes many lift/drag issues. There is a cryo tanks patch in there but it requires you to install Nertea's Cryo Engines. By popular demand this patch does not add the boiloff management to OPT.

If you're interested I started on a config to make OPT engines run on LH2 as well. It would be nice to have someone to test it and give feedback.

cd4541ee9671d96f82a89a100f5faa88.png

So I built this spaceplane and I've been having difficulty during reentry. The vehicle starts to go all willy-nilly and turns over and I can't pitch it back correctly.I have three vertical stabilizers, one on the main body and two on the wings. There are control surfaces under the aerospike. Should I launch it with a rocket or by itself? Every time I have tested it I just used the cheat. Please help. 

@RaiderMan The design of the spaceplane may objectively be very bad. Answering someone's query for design help with an autopilot mod is not the way to go. It does not help the person to design their craft better, and if the design is poor enough then the autopilot will miserably fail.

@Callistoan Your spaceplane design was objectively bad. I removed the forward service bay as it contributed the most to omni-directional body lift (see light blue aero effect lines in album) and replaced it with a down-facing extra deployment bay. I raised the main wings to raise the CoL to fortify the plane against flying upside down, and added some loaded Ore tanks to control the CoM (since these wings are heavy). I then added some down-facing stabilizers to increase very badly needed yaw control (see omni-directional lift problem), and I removed the elevons from the underside of the aerospike as they lower the CoL and make the plane want to fly upside down. Also, flaps around an aerospike sounds wrong to me-- especially when the aerospike rightfully has gimbal and lots of it.

Finally, I added some stabilizers (as canards or forward flaps) to increase the plane's forward pitch authority which is also needed very badly. Note, I keep these wings dry. I don't like clipping things into loaded tanks, and the wet mass CoM offset is not worth the dV. Pitch authority lies equally in an aircraft's ability to force its tail up, and its ability to force its nose down to resist flipping out at high AoA. Either have canards or (preferred) have lots of rear control surface area near the CoM. I no longer needed to empty my RCS to guarantee a stable reentry.

It's no longer the shuttle you may dream of...but it's a stable one and not that much bigger. You could skip the down-facing yaw stabilizers and pack more RCS fuel or more sideways RCS thrust to compensate.

Imgur Album

viPTjqR.jpg