[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

I was just hoping that someone would recognize the specified bug since it was so weird, anywho since my posts need to be approved by a moderator i did the basic test of removing all mods and then adding them one by one after OPT until it stopped working and found out that the problem came from Real Fuels

Edited by logaritm
spelling

39 minutes ago, logaritm said:

I was just hoping that someone would reconise the specific bug since it was so wierd, anywho since my posts need to be aproved by a moderator i did the basic test of removing all mods and then adding them one by one after OPT until it stopped working and found out that the problem came from Real Fuels

Just getting it to work for you is only half the job, now we need to figure out if it's really Real Fuels or if it's a combination of three mods, of which Real Fuels and OPT are just the two parts. Which is why we still want a mod list. Once we've figured out the minimum combination required for the problem to occur, then we can go about getting people (probably the people making the other involved mods) to fix the issue so it won't happen again.

Also, given that there aren't (to the best of my knowledge) any mods out there that you'd have to hide using in polite company, I don't get why people have such hangups about posting their mod lists. I mean, the OPT Legacy Pack is about as shameful as it gets when it comes to KSP mods...and that's just because of the obscenely powerful engines. :wink:

(Yeah, I get that posting your mod list is a lot of work sometimes, though a simple way of making one is to open a command prompt, navigate to your GameData folder, and run "dir /a:d > modlist.txt", which will create a text file in your GameData folder containing a list of all the first-level subfolders. You can look the command up online if you're uncertain). 

Edit: Actual easiest way: use File Explorer to go to your GameData folder, then in the file menu, use "open a command prompt", and it will open one right where you need it. Then execute "dir /a:d > modlist.txt", and a text file will appear containing all the 

Edited by Winchester

Why i did not write my whole modlist was because i just wanted to see if the problem i had was a common "newbie" problem, so im sorry if it came of as arogant.

Anywho i have reduced my mods to only these mods:

CommunityResourcePack
Firespitter
Kopernicus
ModularFlightIntegrator
OPT
RealFuels
RealFuels-Stockalike
RealSolarSystem
RSS-Textures
SolverEngines

And heres a link to a fresh output log:
LINK

If you want to repoduce my error start a new sandbox and create a design containing OPT parts and then bring them into the world at either the launch pad or the airstrip.

1 hour ago, logaritm said:

Why i did not write my whole modlist was because i just wanted to see if the problem i had was a common "newbie" problem, so im sorry if it came of as arogant.

Anywho i have reduced my mods to only these mods:

And heres a link to a fresh output log:
LINK

If you want to repoduce my error start a new sandbox and create a design containing OPT parts and then bring them into the world at either the launch pad or the airstrip.

I can't see anything in the log,  Try removing MFI, I am unfamiliar with it.

On January 18, 2017 at 0:57 PM, Winchester said:

Please, note the date on the post you're about to quote before you post... and avoid stating the *blindingly obvious*, will you?

And that's definitely the SR-2, the SR-1 had a T-tail and much smaller outboard engines. 

My apologies if this caused a misunderstanding 

7 hours ago, stali79 said:

continue debugging :) keep removing mods 1 at a time until you know which is the culprit

The rest of the mods that i have active over OPT and real fuels are mods they are dependent on.

OPT is dependent on Firespitter-core and Real Fuels is dependent on CommunityResourcePack, SolverEngines and RealFuels-Stockalike.

edit01:
I removed Real Fuels and RealFuels-Stockalike (An engine config file for RF) and the parts behaved normally.
edit02:
I only ran FireSpitter, Modular Fuel Tanks and OPT to see if it was Firespitter that did something when it interacted with the OPT parts but everything ran just fine.

Edited by logaritm

1 hour ago, logaritm said:

The rest of the mods that i have active over OPT and real fuels are mods they are dependent on.

OPT is dependent on Firespitter-core and Real Fuels is dependent on CommunityResourcePack, SolverEngines and RealFuels-Stockalike.

edit01:
I removed Real Fuels and RealFuels-Stockalike (An engine config file for RF) and the parts behaved normally.
edit02:
I only ran FireSpitter, Modular Fuel Tanks and OPT to see if it was Firespitter that did something when it interacted with the OPT parts but everything ran just fine.

Put rf back in but not rf-stockalike and see if that changes anything.

so i found out what was the problem, or more like blowfishpro over at RF's github did, here is what he said:

Figured it out. OPT has some rather messy and broken patches for RF. If you look in OPT/mm_config/OPT_RF.cfg and OPT/mm_config/OPT_MFT.cfg you might see that every part exists in both, but that both are NEEDS[RealFuels] (whereas the MFT one should only be for MFT).

For now, deleting OPT/mm_config/OPT_MFT.cfg should fix the problem, but I'm not sure the RF patches in OPT are even remotely up to date. The volume in the RF patches should be about 5 times what it is in the MFT version, which it isn't, so the volumes might be wrong. Parts like cockpits and cargo bays probably need additional configuration too, since their mass should be more than that of just the tank. Regardless, you should probably report the problem with the patches in the OPT thread.

Feel free to re-open this issue if you discover anything more is required on the RF side.

I tried what he said and after removing OPT_MFT.cfg the OPT parts where behaving normally.

thanks for the help!

Pictures look great but i cant seem to get it to work. Im using ksp 1.1.3. Can it also work with that version? Loading the game after installed as instructed causes very long loading times (aborted after 5+ minutes for "OPT/Parts/main/i_4m_cockpit_isp")

Please help me, i wanna use this awesome mod T.T 

5 minutes ago, Navatox said:

Pictures look great but i cant seem to get it to work. Im using ksp 1.1.3. Can it also work with that version? Loading the game after installed as instructed causes very long loading times (aborted after 5+ minutes for "OPT/Parts/main/i_4m_cockpit_isp")

I'm not sure as I don't have KSP 1.1.3 on hand to test with, but as it appears to fail to load on the very first OPT part file, my first guess is that no, it's not compatible. The semi-official 1.8 releases that Stali79 made were 1.1.3 compatible, but that doesn't contain the latest additions by K.Yeon like the inline RCS systems, the service and payload modules, and the ramp parts. 

What's keeping you from upgrading to 1.2.2? Are you waiting for a particular mod to update? Some of the mods that haven't gotten an official update yet have workarounds described in their respective threads for how to get them running under 1.2.2, though not all of them. 

On 26/01/2017 at 6:14 AM, Navatox said:

you will need to look at the version history on spacedock (the legacy version) to find versions of the mod compatible with 1.1.3. the current versions of the main OPT mod and the Legacy pack are NOT compatible with any version of KSP below 1.2

Finally got back to my big old 1.1.2 career save where I had a huge fleet of OPT big SSTOs. I had forgotten just how much I love this mod! OPT plus KIS KAS is an awesome combo. Cause the big engines in this mod can actually haul the heavyweight of large amounts of KIS KAS items. It is still my favorite part pack, although I'm using B9 HX a bit more at the moment in my CMAU saves.

12 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Mycroft I wondered why you stopped posting screenshots of OPT spaceplanes. :P I just started a science game and I intend to grow a fleet of OPT vehicles.

All my OPT pretties are actually in 1.1.2 and sadly I wasn't able to port the save over so I lost focus on that. Hopefully I can get back into it once the Jool mission is done but for now I'll be going back to 1.1.2 for the foreseeable future. I'm actually designing a new OPT spaceplane designed to manufacture several science rovers and orbital probes with an internal workshop. It's fun. When it's done it too will leave for Jool. Any ideas of KIS KAS stuff I can send besides a small plane or probe or rover? Who knows, I might take it. Glad to finally be getting back to this great mod!

@Mycroft I have no clear need for KIS and KAS unfortunately, except only for some of the fashionable KIS parts for kerbals to wear. I do see potential for use of its EVA struts for strengthening station module connections and the pipes for moving fuel between crafts that can't be docked together. But I haven't used those in a long time so I'm on the fence about installing them. :/ I might need them for my new OPT station and flagship.

This is one of my all-time favorite mods, for sure. I have one nitpick - why don't the control surfaces automatically align with the wings they are designed for? I find myself fiddling with the rotation and placement to get them to the right position. 

I apologize if this has been brought up before, I read through the recent posts and didn't see it brought up.

1 hour ago, doggonemess said:

This is one of my all-time favorite mods, for sure. I have one nitpick - why don't the control surfaces automatically align with the wings they are designed for? I find myself fiddling with the rotation and placement to get them to the right position. 

I apologize if this has been brought up before, I read through the recent posts and didn't see it brought up.

The way he's currently got it set up is about the only other way to make them work properly when mirrored.

If you place them in the right location then you can make them orient correctly with two rotations. (I think.... it's actually been awhile since I used them)

Seems like node snapping should work but I don't think it interacts with mirrored placement properly. One of these days I was planning to experiment with that and if I could get it working I was going to suggest it to KYeon

4 hours ago, doggonemess said:

There's a sweet spot where the control surface is exactly 90 degrees off from where it's supposed to be, and you can use the rotation keys (don't remember off hand whether it's Q, W, E, A, S, D or F - it's one of those, though) to get the angle right. It's easiest to do in my experience if the wing is vertical when you're doing it. Then you make a sub-assembly out of the completed wing and you don't have to worry about it anymore... until you delete your save and have to start over. :wink:

22 hours ago, Winchester said:

There's a sweet spot where the control surface is exactly 90 degrees off from where it's supposed to be, and you can use the rotation keys (don't remember off hand whether it's Q, W, E, A, S, D or F - it's one of those, though) to get the angle right. It's easiest to do in my experience if the wing is vertical when you're doing it. Then you make a sub-assembly out of the completed wing and you don't have to worry about it anymore... until you delete your save and have to start over. :wink:

@Winchester is right, just make sure you have snapping turned OFF when you do this otherwise it will never line up.

On 2/1/2017 at 7:08 PM, Winchester said:

15 hours ago, stali79 said:

@Winchester is right, just make sure you have snapping turned OFF when you do this otherwise it will never line up.

On 2/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, Starwaster said:

The way he's currently got it set up is about the only other way to make them work properly when mirrored.

If you place them in the right location then you can make them orient correctly with two rotations. (I think.... it's actually been awhile since I used them)

Seems like node snapping should work but I don't think it interacts with mirrored placement properly. One of these days I was planning to experiment with that and if I could get it working I was going to suggest it to KYeon

Awesome! Thanks so much guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I'm going to try the vertical placement method. And definitely going to put the completed assemblies in subassemblies. I can't believe I didn't think of that! :rolleyes: