[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

Ah the parts look even better now! Awesome!

They make for great looking futuristic ships!

Not sure I like the new arie engines though, they add yet another resource,

and I kinda like being able to place them anywhere instead of yet another stack engine...

Thanks, im going to add both the single part version and the modular part version of the engines so you can choose what to use, at the cost of increasing part counts ;p

that is one huge ssto haha

The FAR CFG has some issues though.

I dont really know how to get FAR to recognize cargo bays, thats the only one i am aware of, are there more issues?

Hey K.Yeon, I had some thoughts on the cargo bays.

The old drop bay in the same form-factor as the J series parts was awesome. I really like having that so perfectly inline. That said, the inability to carry 2.5m diameter payloads was a bummer. Now, the new bay series is big and blocky comparatively. My personal recommendations would be to return the existing bay components back to the standard J series form. Your main post talks about another size up from this (referred to IIRC as series K and as 6m). I would suggest that one be big enough to haul 2.5m payloads. I personally (highly subjective since my 64 bit works where others' may not) would rather more parts that look streamlined and aesthetically pleasing than less parts that make sacrifices. I'd like to see the existing stuff be streamlined back down to standard J series profile and the larger K series parts added for hauling 2.5m but you're the modeller, so do what you think is best.

EDIT: FAR:

FAR auto-detects looking for the words in the part name (not display name in VAB, actual part name). It looks for "cargo bay", "fairing", and "shroud". Matter of fact, in the older version it would not auto-detect the drop bay for that reason. I had to manually add the phrase "drop bay" for FAR to recognize it.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Hey K.Yeon, I had some thoughts on the cargo bays.

The old drop bay in the same form-factor as the J series parts was awesome. I really like having that so perfectly inline. That said, the inability to carry 2.5m diameter payloads was a bummer. Now, the new bay series is big and blocky comparatively. My personal recommendations would be to return the existing bay components back to the standard J series form. Your main post talks about another size up from this (referred to IIRC as series K and as 6m). I would suggest that one be big enough to haul 2.5m payloads. I personally (highly subjective since my 64 bit works where others' may not) would rather more parts that look streamlined and aesthetically pleasing than less parts that make sacrifices. I'd like to see the existing stuff be streamlined back down to standard J series profile and the larger K series parts added for hauling 2.5m but you're the modeller, so do what you think is best.

FAR auto-detects looking for the words in the part name (not display name in VAB, actual part name). It looks for "cargo bay", "fairing", and "shroud". Matter of fact, in the older version it would not auto-detect the drop bay for that reason. I had to manually add the phrase "drop bay" for FAR to recognize it.

I agree with you captain sierra, i wasn't very satisfied with the result of the new cargo bays either. I tried to maintain the stream line look as well as a large bay area but it seems i can't have both haha, but it did gave me some ideas for k parts. And thanks for the FAR info i was looking for it!

I agree with you captain sierra, i wasn't very satisfied with the result of the new cargo bays either. I tried to maintain the stream line look as well as a large bay area but it seems i can't have both haha, but it did gave me some ideas for k parts. And thanks for the FAR info i was looking for it!

It might be insane, but if you actually just scaled ALL parts up about 12-15% (cockpit included), the cockpit would still be realistically sized for kerbals (I think) and 1.25m stuff would fit in the drop bay while 2.5m stuff would fit in the newer rectangular bay. Could be done in the configs, I imagine...

EDIT: I'm dense, I already suggested this, makes for some problems with adapter-style parts. Derp derp derp. But I guess you could just fiddle with only the adapter parts' models in that case.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

I dont really know how to get FAR to recognize cargo bays, thats the only one i am aware of, are there more issues?

I outlined them here. Of course the edits I posted are out of date now, in the morning I can fix it for the latest version though.

Did you get it to shield parts using that method? I was getting inconsistent results when I added FARCargoBayModule by hand...

It might be insane, but if you actually just scaled ALL parts up about 12-15% (cockpit included), the cockpit would still be realistically sized for kerbals (I think) and 1.25m stuff would fit in the drop bay while 2.5m stuff would fit in the newer rectangular bay. Could be done in the configs, I imagine...

EDIT: I'm dense, I already suggested this, makes for some problems with adapter-style parts. Derp derp derp. But I guess you could just fiddle with only the adapter parts' models in that case.

I really like this idea, would make the streamlined bays much more useful.

Included Mods:

- [thread=24551]SpitterFire[/thread] Plugin By Snjo, updated on 22nd Dec 2014

- [thread=55219]Module Manager[/thread] By sarbian, updated on 22nd Dec2014

SpitterFire? I assume you mean Firespitter right? Might want to make a little adjustment there.

Here's an updated FAR/NEAR cfg. This should cover compatibility with FAR/NEAR. There may still be issues with part shielding on the j docking port

{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[i_4m_cockpit_isp]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
!MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
}
@PART[ij_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ij_4m_adaptor_variant]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_docking_port]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0

MODULE
{
name = FARCargoBayModule
}
}
@PART[j_4m_lab]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_4m_tanks]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_engineMount_4]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk2j_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_dropBay]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[js_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jjf_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jf_cargo]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jf_cargo_tail]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[Mk1_compressor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[AAengine]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_m]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_s]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[OPTdropTank]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk23_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]

I love your mod!

awesome part and i love the cockpit you made they are perfect, thank you for your work:D

I love them!

http://i.imgur.com/OPzRXKv.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/rj2ljYB.png?1

This ship can't land, but it can explore and deliver a little ship thanks to is awesome cargo bay

i dont know what to say other than it looks stunning, much more than what i could build xD

I been working on re texturing the old parts and starting to redo the cargo bays. So instead of go rectangular i decide to keep it streamline like J series but wider, and can attach mk2 parts on the side

heres a img of K series wip and retexture of the J cargobay

Anyway the main thing i want to share is this video:

Im not an aerospace engineer so i never understood it untill now, i want to make a ksp version of the turboRamJet as well as a RamJet.

The plan is Each type of Engine are single parts and will have 2-3 variants (different size and shapes), and ill tweak the current ARIEngine similar to that of a AirTurboRocket

The idea is

RamJets are cheap, operates at high alt and high speed (around 20km-40km at mach 3 - 6) and provides decent thrust. BUT it won't activate until mach 2 and above 10km, is also heavy

TurboRamJets are able to have thrust at 0 speed, operates efficiently at high alt (around 5km - 20km and speed up to mach 3), BUT it will be expensive and heavy << more thrust than stock turbojet

AirTurboRocket are also able to have thrust at 0 speed, operates efficiently at a wider altitude range (*need more research*), it will also operates on other atmosphere with no oxygen

If anyone is more familiar about these type 3 type of jet help me out xD

Lastly, if I complete these engines (modelling and scripting), it will adds around 10 or 15 new parts, so i might separate this into a propulsion pack mod.

Edited by K.Yeon

If you're interested in simulating real types of engines in KSP, you might want to check out Advanced Jet Engine, which already has many of these types of engines implemented. It requires FAR though, so if you're going to try it out then be sure to get the cfg I posted on the previous page :P

Thanks blowfish! im checking it out now i never knew what it was before ;p And thanks for the FAR code it i tested it it works great!

AirTurboRocket are also able to have thrust at 0 speed, operates efficiently at a wider altitude range (*need more research*), it will also operates on other atmosphere with no oxygen

Well I don't know about airturborocket because turbo denotes the presence of a turbine but everything else about this seems to describe this little number from the cold war

gnom2.jpg

The terminology for this type of engine is often conflicting confusing and incorrect but the soviet Gnom is what is called an "air augmented rocket" basically think of a thermal rocket like the lv-N but instead of nuclear power heating up fuel to create thrust its the heat of the solid rocket exhaust heating up intake atmosphere to create thrust and as a perk the solid rocket makes its own thrust to help get it going. As for how this translates into Kerbal since it technically works smoothly without atmosphere I wouldn't recommend building in air intakes and making it some bi-mode solid fueled rapier instead I'd suggest playing with the altitude and velocity curve settings to give it a proportional boost to thrust and isp at lower altitude and higher speeds. with it coming back to its stand still performance once it reaches above the atmosphere.

You've a great modeling style Yeon! Thanks for your contribution.

I want to reiterate a couple points that are bugging me. Firstly that gap on the drop bay, I know you know of it. Secondly, I don't think blowfish's MM patch for FAR is right either. Maybe it's just me but the these parts seem to have very high drag. Parts placed inline don't appear to be "hiding" drag from parts further back in the airflow like I see with other part packs.

Yeon, join us on IRC on esper.net, #kspmodders if you'd like to chat. Ferram is oft around and typically a helpful person.

You've a great modeling style Yeon! Thanks for your contribution.

I want to reiterate a couple points that are bugging me. Firstly that gap on the drop bay, I know you know of it. Secondly, I don't think blowfish's MM patch for FAR is right either. Maybe it's just me but the these parts seem to have very high drag. Parts placed inline don't appear to be "hiding" drag from parts further back in the airflow like I see with other part packs.

Yeon, join us on IRC on esper.net, #kspmodders if you'd like to chat. Ferram is oft around and typically a helpful person.

Thanks! I used blowfish's FAR config it seems to be right for me, but ill test it more later. and as for the old parts i have already remodelled them, just have to wait for next update :P it might take a while because im working on quiet a few bigger parts like the K series and 3.75m engines

2nFzu8I.png

Secondly, I don't think blowfish's MM patch for FAR is right either. Maybe it's just me but the these parts seem to have very high drag. Parts placed inline don't appear to be "hiding" drag from parts further back in the airflow like I see with other part packs.

Could you be more specific about this? Which parts are doing this? The problem might be extra nodes on a few of the parts, which I just noticed.

Thanks for your concern, blowfish. It seems, you were right about the docking fuselage part being weird. It shows no drag value with the FAR drag overlay on.

The drop bay and rear-end-engine-mount part may be acting funny. I'll have to play around a little more to see what I can find out.

I outlined them here. Of course the edits I posted are out of date now, in the morning I can fix it for the latest version though.

Did you get it to shield parts using that method? I was getting inconsistent results when I added FARCargoBayModule by hand...

What I actually did was go into the FAR debug menu in the space center screen and manually told it that the words "drop bay" also should be treated as an aeroshield by adding that as a new criterion for part shielding. It seemed to work quite well.

i dont know what to say other than it looks stunning, much more than what i could build xD

I been working on re texturing the old parts and starting to redo the cargo bays. So instead of go rectangular i decide to keep it streamline like J series but wider, and can attach mk2 parts on the side

Mmm, great improvement in the textures!

Anyway the main thing i want to share is this video:

Im not an aerospace engineer so i never understood it untill now, i want to make a ksp version of the turboRamJet as well as a RamJet.

The plan is Each type of Engine are single parts and will have 2-3 variants (different size and shapes), and ill tweak the current ARIEngine similar to that of a AirTurboRocket

The idea is

RamJets are cheap, operates at high alt and high speed (around 20km-40km at mach 3 - 6) and provides decent thrust. BUT it won't activate until mach 2 and above 10km, is also heavy

TurboRamJets are able to have thrust at 0 speed, operates efficiently at high alt (around 5km - 20km and speed up to mach 3), BUT it will be expensive and heavy << more thrust than stock turbojet

Lastly, if I complete these engines (modelling and scripting), it will adds around 10 or 15 new parts, so i might separate this into a propulsion pack mod.

woow nice

did u thinking of adding think like Screamjet wich is in real world can travel even faster (its getting warm up about when ramjets stop working)

so could be fun to have something that in game

What I actually did was go into the FAR debug menu in the space center screen and manually told it that the words "drop bay" also should be treated as an aeroshield by adding that as a new criterion for part shielding. It seemed to work quite well.

Ah, I see now you were talking about the drop bay, and I was talking about the docking/utility bay. Both have the issue of not being recognized by FAR by default.

I'm having some issues with your OPT space plane parts.

The I-J connector and J-Fueltank 4m Has no fuel nor Oxidizer in them.

The OPT Landing gear, both med and small, Do not react to the landgear control nor have manual control.

The J-inline docking and Utility Bay, and the J- Experimental Drop Bay doesn't have any controls.

I'm at a lose because It sounds like it works for everyone else but not even the latest update seems to fix anything.