[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017

K.Yeon

Something is definitely wrong with the J Docking and Utility Bay. With blowfishs changes to the config you can see that it gets recognized by FAR. Right click and you see first line partsshielded 0. But nothing you put inside ever gets shielded for some reason. It works just fine with the drop bay and the cargo bay.

BTW. K.Yeon I am a little cross with you for removing my favorite cockpit, the experimental cockpit. Luckily it was rather easy to put in from the previous release so I am content :), although missing the power house engines. The new ones perform terribly for the resource consumption involved. :huh:

Something is definitely wrong with the J Docking and Utility Bay. With blowfishs changes to the config you can see that it gets recognized by FAR. Right click and you see first line partsshielded 0. But nothing you put inside ever gets shielded for some reason. It works just fine with the drop bay and the cargo bay.

I suspect it may have to do with the colliders but I'm not sure - probably going to have to consult with ferram about this.

edit: upon inspecting the FAR codebase this can't possibly be the issue. Still weird though - there do appear to be very small positions in which parts can be shielded, so I don't think it's a question of the module not working at all...

Edited by blowfish

Hmm blowfish I noticed that it is actually a bit tricky to place anything inside the side bay. It prefers to sit on the outline where the bay door would be if it were closed, basically outside the bay. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Hey K.Yeon, how do you feel about using Modular Fuel Tank modules for your fuel-containing parts? It would allow much more flexibility in fuel types and the amount. This one is pretty easy, I wrote an MM cfg myself to do that, but right out of the box support is nice.

Edit: is the 4m fueltank part name supposed to be "OPT\Parts\NewParts\j_4m_tanks" instead of "j_4m_tanks"?

Look forward to Deadly reentry support too!

Thanks for the amazing parts!

Edited by RainDreamer

Hey K.Yeon, how do you feel about using Modular Fuel Tank modules for your fuel-containing parts? It would allow much more flexibility in fuel types and the amount. This one is pretty easy, I wrote an MM cfg myself to do that, but right out of the box support is nice.

Edit: is the 4m fueltank part name supposed to be "OPT\Parts\NewParts\j_4m_tanks" instead of "j_4m_tanks"?

Look forward to Deadly reentry support too!

Deadly Reentry is going to have support for the Mk3 parts in its next release. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it but it should be sufficient

If you don't want to wait for the next DRE update you can grab the file here:

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/Mk3.cfg

Put it in your DeadlyReentry folder

Mmm, great improvement in the textures!

Thanks !!I often uses your near future parts and B9 stuff, old texture looks horrible with them so i think improve texture was necessary xD

BTW. K.Yeon I am a little cross with you for removing my favorite cockpit, the experimental cockpit. Luckily it was rather easy to put in from the previous release so I am content :), although missing the power house engines. The new ones perform terribly for the resource consumption involved. :huh:

Sorry for that :( I thought most people prefered the current cockpits haha, and ill add few more engines in the next patch so dont worry

I suspect it may have to do with the colliders but I'm not sure - probably going to have to consult with ferram about this.

edit: upon inspecting the FAR codebase this can't possibly be the issue. Still weird though - there do appear to be very small positions in which parts can be shielded, so I don't think it's a question of the module not working at all...

I have consulted with ferram, he said do not add FAR modules to anything, FAR will reconize the cargo part automatic IF the part's TITLE contains "cargo bay". As for the docking port, im going to have remodel it...

Thanks! i looked at the MFT, i feel is abit complex to use compare to the fuel switch... more dependency could causes more conflicts, but i see if i can add a config that supports MFT.

The Mk3 aka Space Shuttle parts look awesome!! Spent more time on it! Don't forget the landing gear (i don't like how the B9 looks on it), but more important test the stability with FAR.

Thanks! Im planning to add wings, tails, and aft section and gears the next update but it could take a while xD

And heres a picture to show off my space pocket battleship :D (with BDArmory)

aNgrU3v.png

Just like to make a quick bug report after a quick chat with ferram4 on reddit

FAR 0.14.6 and OPT1.4.9

OPTs parts seem to have a large amount of aerodynamic lift as most of them are lifting bodies, especially this ( large flat ) cockpit tends to give a large amount of lift to the front of the aircraft but dosent seem to be translated into the COL when working in the SPH so its really hard to try and balance. and most of the time you end up with a plane the wants to flip and fly backwards.

ferram4

Oh, I see the problem. This is technically on OPT's end, but I know how to fix it.

So there are a bunch of stock's ModuleLiftingSurface partModules to the spaceplane parts to give them lifting body properties in stock. Problem is, they're not being removed; the config that is included would remove the stock lifting properties if they were using the old Winglet part type, but not with ModuleLiftingSurface.

Go make a bug report about it, it should be a relatively quick fix on their end.

Thanks! i looked at the MFT, i feel is abit complex to use compare to the fuel switch... more dependency could causes more conflicts, but i see if i can add a config that supports MFT.

It's not particularly complex and it would less of a dependency than whatever current fuel switching system you have now:

Behold!

@PART[j_4m_tanks]:NEEDS[ModularFuelTanks]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTank
volume = 2160
type = default
}
}

Doesn't do anything unless ModularFuelTanks is installed.

For Real Fuels it would be

@PART[j_4m_tanks]:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTank
volume = 10800
type = default
}
}

Done.

Want to add configs for other parts? Just do it as above with the part name in the brackets. Volume is stock volume unless it's for Real Fuels in which case it's stock volume * 5

Done.

Just like to make a quick bug report after a quick chat with ferram4 on reddit

FAR 0.14.6 and OPT1.4.9

OPTs parts seem to have a large amount of aerodynamic lift as most of them are lifting bodies, especially this ( large flat ) cockpit tends to give a large amount of lift to the front of the aircraft but dosent seem to be translated into the COL when working in the SPH so its really hard to try and balance. and most of the time you end up with a plane the wants to flip and fly backwards.

ferram4

Oh, I see the problem. This is technically on OPT's end, but I know how to fix it.

So there are a bunch of stock's ModuleLiftingSurface partModules to the spaceplane parts to give them lifting body properties in stock. Problem is, they're not being removed; the config that is included would remove the stock lifting properties if they were using the old Winglet part type, but not with ModuleLiftingSurface.

Go make a bug report about it, it should be a relatively quick fix on their end.

Here's a FAR cfg that should fix it. This one has been updated to add the correct words to the titles of the cargo bays.

{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[i_4m_cockpit_isp]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
!MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
}
@PART[ij_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ij_4m_adaptor_variant]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_docking_port]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@title = J-Inline Docking & Cargo Bay
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0

!node_stack_top01 = delete
!node_stack_top02 = delete
}
@PART[j_4m_lab]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_4m_tanks]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_engineMount_4]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk2j_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_dropBay]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@title = J - Experimental Cargo Drop Bay
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0

!node_stack_bottom,2 = delete
}
@PART[js_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jjf_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jf_cargo]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jf_cargo_tail]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[Mk1_compressor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[AAengine]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_m]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_s]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[OPTdropTank]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk23_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]:Final

EDIT: Found a mistake, updated

Edited by blowfish

Here's a FAR cfg that should fix it. This one has been updated to add the correct words to the titles of the cargo bays.

{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[i_4m_cockpit_isp]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ij_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[ij_4m_adaptor_variant]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_docking_port]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@title = J-Inline Docking & Cargo Bay
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0

!node_stack_top02 = delete
}
@PART[j_4m_lab]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_4m_tanks]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_engineMount_4]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk2j_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[j_dropBay]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@title = J - Experimental Cargo Drop Bay
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0

!node_stack_bottom,2 = delete
}
@PART[js_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jjf_adaptor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jf_cargo]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[jf_cargo_tail]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[Mk1_compressor]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@dragModelType = default
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[AAengine]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_m]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[opt_gears_s]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
PART[OPTdropTank]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]
{
@minimum_drag = 0
@maximum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
}
@PART[mk23_cockpit]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch|NEAR]

nice quick question where do i put this, inside of FAR or OPT

nice quick question where do i put this, inside of FAR or OPT

It goes inside a file named OPT_FAR.cfg

It's inside the mod's folder.

Clarification: Pretty sure he means you to replace the entire contents with his config.

Edited by Starwaster

Hey, I just wanted to say that this mod is awesome. I absolutely love the design of the parts, and the new cargo bays are really useful.

I have a couple of questions, though -- I've been having trouble attaching things to the outside of the big cargo bays; KSP doesn't seem to like it if they clip even slightly and my ship starts shaking. It might be that this is an unavoidable issue because it needs to collide so you can drive things into it, but, if not, could you take a look?

Secondly, I noticed that some of the part descriptions could use a little work in places; I was wondering if maybe I could help there? I'm quite good at writing, if I say so myself, and I'd love to help out with this incredible mod.

Sorry for that :( I thought most people prefered the current cockpits haha, and ill add few more engines in the next patch so dont worry

I hope that means you are putting it back in officially. People like different stuff, for me the experimental cockpit has the sleakest look to it. The mk2-3 is kind of nice, but I don't like how the nose kinda looks like it has been punched in. Simply too short for my taste. Glad to hear about the engines. Your parts are after all on the heavy side and even four of your current AERIEs are ill equipped to handle something built with your parts. :D

Awesome parts pack but i have to express my dislike of the new cockpits. I preferred the cockpit that has been removed. it had a more sharp/angular look to it rather then the very rounded new ones.

also that AERIE engine seems totally pointless I cannot see how it is useful at all unless im setting it up wrong.

as a plane engine its just far to fuel hungry or am I totally missing the point of this engine?

I added them to a SSTO space plane I had that works fine with rapiers and it ran out of fuel before it got past 10,000m.

but that said good job on the new models and textures they are looking really sleek.

looking forward to the next update. is the fix for FAR/NEAR in the next update?

Awesome parts pack but i have to express my dislike of the new cockpits. I preferred the cockpit that has been removed. it had a more sharp/angular look to it rather then the very rounded new ones.

See K. Yeon I am far from being the only one who thinks that. ;)

blowfish your new config still has problems. As far as I understand FARs recognition of cargo bays now, the two words actually have to be in direct succession of each other, so cargo drop bay doesn't get recognized. The title has to be changed further to drop cargo bay. Unfortunately removing the nodes of the docking and utility bay hasn't fixed the no part shielding issue either.

Edited by Flashblade

Obsolete content should be cut. We only have just under 3.5gb to work with!

I can't help but feel these parts should be near enough double the scale. Just comparing the hatch sizes on the cockpits to the mk3 squad cockpit shows this off.

blowfish your new config still has problems. As far as I understand FARs recognition of cargo bays now, the two words actually have to be in direct succession of each other, so cargo drop bay doesn't get recognized. The title has to be changed further to drop cargo bay. Unfortunately removing the nodes of the docking and utility bay hasn't fixed the no part shielding issue either.

Good catch. I'm still not quite sure what's wrong with the docking bay though - FAR should be calculating a bounding box based on the mesh (not colliders) but evidently that process isn't working properly.

One more thing K.Yeon. Your landing gear still needs some work. When I use it I constantly have to fight to keep the plane on the runway. It always wants to veer off either left or right. This doesn't happen when I use B9 gear. Furthermore you have balanced your gear that when you put the small gear under your fuselage in the middle and the big gear under the wing then it is balanced. That's great but the gear is simply not long enough. When you place the large gear under the CoM somewhere in the center of the plane, it is very very likely that you will crash the engine mount into the concrete of the runway. I do not want to say it is impossible to take off, but so far I haven't managed an angle that is small enough for this not to occur. Other than that, please keep up the great work. Very excited for the new upcoming and remodeled parts :cool:

the opt landing gear (all of them) are not working for me. The animation shows in the sph but when I launch the gear start extended but as soon as the plane is dropped to the runway the gear retract and cannot be extended. I am using the 0.90 recompile of firespitter

the opt landing gear (all of them) are not working for me. The animation shows in the sph but when I launch the gear start extended but as soon as the plane is dropped to the runway the gear retract and cannot be extended. I am using the 0.90 recompile of firespitter

Are the other Firespitter modules working (like fuel switch). I got a bad dll the first time I tried to update Firespitter to 0.90