Jump to content

[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017


Recommended Posts

Thank you for exellent mod.

Mechjeb indicates drag coeff increase after placing something in OPT K hollow fuselage 3 m.

With Scramjet form factor change, Im not sure I understand what for MK2 sockets near the tail are. For bicoupler from another mod? (stock bicoupler is not an option due to its length).

Maybe its possible to return Mk2 scramjet (nerfed to reasonable values if you think its op).   Or add 1.25 version or an option to tweakscale 2,5 m version.

If there are problems with "control from here" option for cockpit shielded docking port, maybe solution is to separate existing cockpits into two parts - cockpit itself (4 piloting kerbals, 2 pilots, navigator and engeneer) and optional

passenger/service part with docking port.

Thx one more time, you addon is absolute must have for me, and sorry for my english.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

The crafts in the download for some reason don't work all of them are locked or invalid parts.

They all work for me, make sure you have OPT 1.8v4(now1.8v4.01) installed correctly, also make sure you are using BahamutoD's Adjustable Landing Gear  mod which all of the craft files are using.

Edited by M_Ouellette
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, prelog15 said:

Im wondering what happend to the J-style docking port and the mk-2 stile engine. is that just something that isnt in the test release or did you remove it permenantly?

1.8v4.01 is a test version, it probably isn't complete, at least I hope that's the case.

Edited by M_Ouellette
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Spyke said:

*Feature Request*

 

I'm having a heartbreak. My all-time favorite fuselage is the first iteration of the K serie. So the fact that it is available in the legacy pack really makes me happy. The problem is : the new K fuselage is not backwards compatible! Screens showing the mismatch <---

The original Valkyrie style K cockpit, not the J variant, was the reason for my getting interested in this mod, so yes I am disappointed that the design seems to have been abandoned. Obviously K.Yeon can do whatever he pleases with his mod and while I really do appreciate his efforts, I can only hope he finally settles on a style he is happy with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2016 at 5:07 AM, M_Ouellette said:

The original Valkyrie style K cockpit, not the J variant, was the reason for my getting interested in this mod, so yes I am disappointed that the design seems to have been abandoned. Obviously K.Yeon can do whatever he pleases with his mod and while I really do appreciate his efforts, I can only hope he finally settles on a style he is happy with.

 

On 1/16/2016 at 4:12 PM, Spyke said:

*Feature Request*

 

I'm having a heartbreak. My all-time favorite fuselage is the first iteration of the K serie. So the fact that it is available in the legacy pack really makes me happy. The problem is : the new K fuselage is not backwards compatible! Screens showing the mismatch <---

________________________________________EDIT_______________________________

Pc7BIYW.png

DOWNLOAD: http://www.This website cannot be used on these forums/download/89rjm37bmff6l4t/KTAVCockpit.zip

I still question it's looks because for the original valkyrie shuttle it self, it looks great, but as for player built spaceship, not so much as the new k cockpit i my opinion.

And for somereason the forum no longer support mediafire links, ill have to switch to something else soon... change the "thiswebsitecannot...." to media(nospace)fire.com

Edited by K.Yeon
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17.01.2016 at 0:25 PM, K.Yeon said:

still question it's looks because for the original valkyrie shuttle it self, it looks great, but as for player built spaceship, not so much as the new k cockpit i my opinion.

Well, it's still nice to have, especially in you apply chamfler and smoothing to those sharp edges in the nose.
All we need now is a set of VTOL Valkyre engines working with Firespitter and a set ow wing parts that have those groves with heat shield tiles.
Why Valkyre? It's the best design for Laythe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 This model does look very different from your previous version.comparison2.jpg

I think there is some smoothing that needs to be done, the canopy sides are at right angles now rather than sloped as before, which looks odd, how that would work aerodynamically I'm not sure. I can't honestly say I think it looks as good as the previous one. I think it needs a little love.

Edited by M_Ouellette
previous edit was too critical
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, M_Ouellette said:

 This model does look very different from your previous version.comparison2.jpg

I think there is some smoothing that needs to be done, the canopy sides are at right angles now rather than sloped as before, which looks odd, how that would work aerodynamically I'm not sure. I can't honestly say I think it looks as good as the previous one. I think it needs a little love.

Yeah... wow.  I'm sorry, K.Yeon, but it's very obvious that there was not nearly as much time spent on modeling and texturing the newer part.  :huh:  I know that you and all mod makers do this on your own time and at your own discretion, but... well, let me just say that this is a very disappointing photo.  VERY disappointing...  ;.;

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:27 AM, Neutrinovore said:

Yeah... wow.  I'm sorry, K.Yeon, but it's very obvious that there was not nearly as much time spent on modeling and texturing the newer part.  :huh:  I know that you and all mod makers do this on your own time and at your own discretion, but... well, let me just say that this is a very disappointing photo.  VERY disappointing...  ;.;

I have the feeling he just threw that together quickly as a proof-of-concept to fulfill the request. The OPT mod has gone through a couple of design changes as K.Yeon find a design style that fits his desire for the mod. Give him some time. His design standards seem to be fairly high for release-quality. (The mod still isn't in the Release Forums, after all.) I'm sure he'll clean up the design significantly (assuming he decides to keep that cockpit).

@K.Yeon Any chance you'll switch over to using Interstellar Fuel Switch instead (it's basically a drop-in replacement for FSFuelSwitch). It seems a bit more robust. Semi-related: have you considered adding fuel to the smaller A,B, and C wings? I know you gave the large wing 300 units of fuel. I figure the smaller ones should have some as well (they look nice on fighter-sized aircraft designs).

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the question is allowed:

in 1.8 pre release, you used the FSFuelSwitch to give the tanks more use.
But the Monoprop tanks are always integrated, there is no way to set up a single segment as pure mono tank, why did you decide to go that way?

But great parts and the new wings are awesome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

I have the feeling he just threw that together quickly as a proof-of-concept to fulfill the request. The OPT mod has gone through a couple of design changes as K.Yeon find a design style that fits his desire for the mod. Give him some time. His design standards seem to be fairly high for release-quality. (The mod still isn't in the Release Forums, after all.) I'm sure he'll clean up the design significantly (assuming he decides to keep that cockpit).

Yes, I realize that the part shown is not going to be the final version, and you're right, I too have full confidence that K.Yeon will polish the final product much more than shown. But my disappointment also extends to the fact that Mr. Yeon has created several different iterations of his parts, and almost ALL of them were extremely useable in-game.  Some more than others, I'll admit, and there was a version of the 'K' cargo bays that had some seriously borked animation colliders making them essentially UNuseable, but still...  My point is that he has created a great many parts that were (in my opinion) pretty much perfect, that K 'Valkyrie' cockpit being one of them, and I used them quite a bit while they were the current version.  But then, those parts have just been discarded and replaced with all new parts that, in their own way are just as functional as the previous ones, but are sometimes lacking a certain feature (such as the inline 'J' docking port that could dock with both 1.25 meter AND 2.5 meter docking ports, that thing was total GENIUS!), or perhaps just don't look quite as nice (again, IMO), and you can't even keep using them because the newer parts' cross-section has been slightly changed.

Anyway, @K.Yeon, man, I love you like a brother from another mother, I really do.  I just wish that you'd realize how good you really are, and just leave some things as they are, instead of pursuing an almost never-ending program of 'just one more try, I think I can do better this time'.  Seriously, your parts are awesome, and have been from the beginning, and I really do look forward to every new OPT release, even if it does make me tear out my hair because I have to re-build all of my spaceplanes from scratch every dang time, grrr!!

Lol, later everyone! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2016 at 1:05 PM, Neutrinovore said:

Yes, I realize that the part shown is not going to be the final version, and you're right, I too have full confidence that K.Yeon will polish the final product much more than shown. But my disappointment also extends to the fact that Mr. Yeon has created several different iterations of his parts, and almost ALL of them were extremely useable in-game.  Some more than others, I'll admit, and there was a version of the 'K' cargo bays that had some seriously borked animation colliders making them essentially UNuseable, but still...  My point is that he has created a great many parts that were (in my opinion) pretty much perfect, that K 'Valkyrie' cockpit being one of them, and I used them quite a bit while they were the current version.  But then, those parts have just been discarded and replaced with all new parts that, in their own way are just as functional as the previous ones, but are sometimes lacking a certain feature (such as the inline 'J' docking port that could dock with both 1.25 meter AND 2.5 meter docking ports, that thing was total GENIUS!), or perhaps just don't look quite as nice (again, IMO), and you can't even keep using them because the newer parts' cross-section has been slightly changed.

Anyway, @K.Yeon, man, I love you like a brother from another mother, I really do.  I just wish that you'd realize how good you really are, and just leave some things as they are, instead of pursuing an almost never-ending program of 'just one more try, I think I can do better this time'.  Seriously, your parts are awesome, and have been from the beginning, and I really do look forward to every new OPT release, even if it does make me tear out my hair because I have to re-build all of my spaceplanes from scratch every dang time, grrr!!

Lol, later everyone! :D

I guess the only thing to do now is wait and see.

Edited by M_Ouellette
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing around with these planes, and I really like them. 

I noticed they fly reasonable well without FAR. With FAR however I can't get stable flight. Is that just because FAR support isn't there yet?

And what is a good efficient flight profile to get to orbit? After take off, how much do you pitch up, etc... I seem to have problem having enough Dv left to circularize my orbit, so I am probably wasting fuel during launch.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krist said:

And what is a good efficient flight profile to get to orbit?

It depends on a lot of factors. But usually you want to reach ~20 km altitude fast and build up you horizontal speed until it gets too hot (at about ~1.3 km/s*). Then pull up to ~30° and ignite your rocket engines (if you have any) and wait until your AP gets out of the atmosphere.

High TWR helps you to reach 20 km altitude faster by pitching up a lot (up to 90°) right at the beginning. If your TWR isn't that beefy you're restricted to a slower climb rate.
I try to climb in a way that my speed never drops below mach 1 (~300 m/s).

This approach will result in a curve like this. Please forgive my crappy paint skills.
L3HmlsJ.png

* As a side note: For a low Kerbin orbit you need a final velocity of about 2.2-2.4 km/s. So you are already half way there.

Edited by *Aqua*
Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the flight profile, especially if you're using the OPT Ramjet, once you hit the 20km altitude mark, level out your flight. If you have KER or even better, Pilot Assistant, aim for a constant vertical velocity. Also, if you have Pilot Assistant, you can set a constant acceleration (the mod will control your throttle) so you're less likely to burn yourself up.

The OPT Mk2 Ramjet will function up to about 37km or so. It can readily get you above 2000m/s velocity if you have the patience, fuel, and right flight profile. This will easily get to a decent AP coasting the rest of the 30km in altitude to clear the atmosphere (above 40km, drag isn't much of an issue, usually.) The times I get my profile right (if you're too aggressive, you can't correct your AoA fast enough later in the flight because the air is too thin), I can easily hit APs in the hundred kilometers.

If you wanna exit the Kerbin system on Jet engines alone, you can look at the SCRAMjet from SuicidalInsanity's Mk2 Expansion mod. You want/need the OPT Ramjets to reach the speeds needed for the SCRAMjet to work. You'll also want Pilot Assistant to help in keeping the right profile. I was able to reach >3km/sec velocity in a test run...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...