Jump to content

[1.3.0] OPT Space Plane v2.0.1 - updated 29/07/2017


Recommended Posts

Not to sound stupid; but I read the last 4 pages and didn't see it brought up.  I am playing 1.1.3 until 1.2 is stable.  This mad is locking up my load screen... am I using the wrong version?  Says I am using 'V1.8 test release 4'...

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fr8monkey said:

Not to sound stupid; but I read the last 4 pages and didn't see it brought up.  I am playing 1.1.3 until 1.2 is stable.  This mad is locking up my load screen... am I using the wrong version?  Says I am using 'V1.8 test release 4'...

Firstly you are using a MASSIVELY out of date version. you should be using 1.8.6 (1.8.6 Full is the 1.2 version) This is available for download on Spacedock. 1.2 is stable and playable FYI.

 

When you go to the Spacedock listing for OPT, click on changelog and download the second latest version if you want to stay with 1.1.3, and the latest if you want to go to 1.2.

Edited by stali79
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2016 at 8:46 PM, Denko666 said:

30263024821_7c05d1ed59_h.jpg

OPT 'Stail' Multirole SSTO Spaceplane (left) and OPT 'Juno' Multirole SSTO Spaceplane (right)

I can't help to still be a bit more sold for the 'Stail'... Even tho they both fly like a dream in 1.2 no complaints there!

Wow @Denko666 Beautiful planes, which mods are used to build them (a part from OPT) ?

Would you be ok with posting the craft files?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2016 at 4:02 AM, jrodriguez said:

@K.Yeon I'm very happy to see that you are working on this again. This was a must-have mod for me :)

 

On 10/16/2016 at 9:31 PM, StahnAileron said:

@K.Yeon First off, welcome back! It's been a while since I've visited this thread (I had been on KSP 1.0.5 for a while, so I'll be jumping to 1.2 once all the major plugin-based mods I use update), so it was a VERY nice surprise to hear you're back on the mod. Your plans for the new release look amazing (that deployment bay is genius!) Looking forward to the new version.

Second: With the new mod release (1.9), have you considered doing a release in the Add-on release forum, or do you still think OPT is only a Dev mod? You seem to be pretty demanding of yourself (the 1.7 and 1.8 releases make it feel like you were never quite satisfied by your efforts), but I think even by 1.7 OPT could've been release worthy. (Besides the weirdness that was inherent to the 1.0.x version of KSP...) Just curious because I find it strange that OPT has been technically "in-dev" all this time without an "official" release version, despite its usability.

Anyway, again, kinda anxious now. OPT is in my top list for part mods, so it great to hear it being updated for KSP 1.2. I wish you the best of luck and eagerly await your next release!

thanks!

At some point this year, i seriously thought of just abandon this mod, but in the end i couldn't do it not only because it's something i really enjoy doing, it's also being enjoyed by many. And those encouragement and compliments i got over the years really kept me going. I also just really hate to leave something unfinished...

 

I created this mod originally to suit my own style of playing ksp with my own sense of what is good modelling. Previously i abandoned lot's of parts, and kept changing things. I know lot's of people hated it, but the primary goal of this mod is to be "stock alike"/ "SpacePlane Plus alike", past versions just haven't achieve this in my opinion. But I'm really happy with how the upcoming 1.9 is turning up, so yeah i think is time to put this in the release forum once 1.9 is done!

 

Putting talks aside, here's an dev update:

 

So far me and the testing team have gone through 2 test versions of 1.9, many bugs and stuff have been updated. As of today, i am finishing the modelling of all of I, J and K parts and will begin to complete IVA parts. Everything is still on schedule for end of the month update. Here are some ingame screen shots so far:

qvRakuS.png

DAhDr3D.png

cONBERj.png

WY7LIL2.png

 

Note that i decide to postpone the Mk2 engine (both of them) and the drop tank to the next update (v2.0). I have a good concept of what they should look like, but i think rushing to complete them just won't do any good.

I also want to say i got lot's of new parts planned for the 2.0 (perhaps the final) update for this mod :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, K.Yeon said:

 

thanks!

At some point this year, i seriously thought of just abandon this mod, but in the end i couldn't do it not only because it's something i really enjoy doing, it's also being enjoyed by many. And those encouragement and compliments i got over the years really kept me going. I also just really hate to leave something unfinished...

Is there sth we can help u with so u dont fall back to these thoughts ever again?

Not just abou OPT, but the Community need creative ppl like you that are willing to share their ideas and time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, K.Yeon said:

Note that i decide to postpone the Mk2 engine (both of them) and the drop tank to the next update (v2.0). I have a good concept of what they should look like, but i think rushing to complete them just won't do any good.

I also want to say i got lot's of new parts planned for the 2.0 (perhaps the final) update for this mod :D

 

Does this mean the Mk2 parts are not going to be in the 1.9 release?

They are literally my favourite parts, the Mk2 intakes, and the Mk2 J-61 Starwaster, in particular.

TBH, I usually find the engines in this pack too OP, so I usually mod the cfg file of the J-61 to work like a Mk2 RAPIER. Twice the thrust of the stock, with built in stats from the stock precooler.

I mention this, because if you are holding back the Mk2 engines for 2.0, could you perhaps make up some alternate configs for a more stock-alike version of your engines?

Outside of this one request, I love your work, and it's great to see you come back!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly I don't mind the engines being OP. One has to consider the playability factor is these designs. If we merely consider realism, most of these would not be able to develop enough thrust to leave the ground and even then not have enough fuel to go anywhere. It's one of the biggest bottlenecks to the SSTO concept, so we need to consider the possibility of a future technology combining massive thrust and fuel efficiency in a compact design. Players always have the option of tweaking configs to their liking, which I think is preferable to forcing everyone to endure arbitrary limitations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, M_Ouellette said:

Frankly I don't mind the engines being OP. One has to consider the playability factor is these designs. If we merely consider realism, most of these would not be able to develop enough thrust to leave the ground and even then not have enough fuel to go anywhere. It's one of the biggest bottlenecks to the SSTO concept, so we need to consider the possibility of a future technology combining massive thrust and fuel efficiency in a compact design. Players always have the option of tweaking configs to their liking, which I think is preferable to forcing everyone to endure arbitrary limitations.

what is real anyway, what we consider impossible today could be perfectly doable next year... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to say this is one of my favorite mods and I'm really greatful for all the hard work you guys have put into it. Unfortunately I've also been really underutilizing it for one really sad reason...

ive never really figured out how to land a plane. I can take off, and with forgiving designs even get to orbit; but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get anything, even the simplest jet, to land safely. Is there any sort of guide you guys could point me to that would help me learn to fly SSTO space planes and actually get them back on the ground safely?

sorry for the off topic post but I figured if there was any group of experts on flying you guys would probably be part of it or at least know where to find it

Edited by schlosrat
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, schlosrat said:

I just wanted to say this is one of my favorite mods and I'm really greatful for all the hard work you guys have put into it. Unfortunately I've also been really underutilizing it for one really sad reason...

ive never really figured out how to land a plane. I can take off, and with forgiving designs even get to orbit; but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get anything, even the simplest jet, to land safely. Is there any sort of guide you guys could point me to that would help me learn to fly SSTO space planes and actually get them back on the ground safely?

sorry for the off topic post but I figured if there was any group of experts on flying you guys would probably be part of it or at least know where to find it

Hey man, what has always worked for me is that when I've set my landing trajectory, I transfer as much fuel as I can to the front of the ship to keep the weight forward. OPT is great with this because the cockpits are usually kinda heavy, or have to option to hold fuel (which I usually do, then lock it and only use it in case of an emergency). Then you add some canards to the front as well, so when you start to enter the atmosphere the weight in the front keeps you from tumbling around, and the canards help your AoA (angle of attack) just enough so that you don't missile straight through the atmosphere at 3000 m/s (oh, what fun!) and also help to keep the nose under control. That's how I do it anyway. Check out the picture of the ship I made just above your post, that's how I usually build my SSTO crafts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Victorsaurus said:

Hey man, what has always worked for me is that when I've set my landing trajectory, I transfer as much fuel as I can to the front of the ship to keep the weight forward. OPT is great with this because the cockpits are usually kinda heavy, or have to option to hold fuel (which I usually do, then lock it and only use it in case of an emergency). Then you add some canards to the front as well, so when you start to enter the atmosphere the weight in the front keeps you from tumbling around, and the canards help your AoA (angle of attack) just enough so that you don't missile straight through the atmosphere at 3000 m/s (oh, what fun!) and also help to keep the nose under control. That's how I do it anyway. Check out the picture of the ship I made just above your post, that's how I usually build my SSTO crafts.

Honestly with OPT I usually get down to ~1700m/s before even hitting the atmo, and once I do I'll use RCS to point my nose up high and I'll usually be down to ~1000m/s before I get down to 20km.
Super easy to reenter atmo with OPT crafts, you just gotta go balls to the wall and wing it, 60% of the time it works every time :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, degenerate said:

Honestly with OPT I usually get down to ~1700m/s before even hitting the atmo, and once I do I'll use RCS to point my nose up high and I'll usually be down to ~1000m/s before I get down to 20km.
Super easy to reenter atmo with OPT crafts, you just gotta go balls to the wall and wing it, 60% of the time it works every time :D

Ahh see I don't rely on RCS much unless I'm in orbit. LOL at 60%, you're right though :) I nail my landings pretty well, but I only ever land at the KSC maybe 1 in 10 landings. My Kerbals like to crash in strange and exciting places I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an EVA problem on the "Humpback" cockpit.

The kebals get out by the roof, trying to grab or climb and if they succeed they appears like ghosts going through the roof....or they fall in the hold behind the cockpit.

They won't get out via the side doors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yo! Apart from individual B9-style RCS ports, would you also consider doing a radial docking port? B9 had a really great one that opened up and whatnot, I always stuck it on my OPT craft in previous updates. Just a thought, can't wait for the next update! Check out the new boat!

wHTARJe.jpg

Also, I noticed this with the Humpback cargo ramp. Is there anyway to animate it so that its not blocked by itself if it has to be adjusted (due to landing gear)? Plus, when I try to open it 100% when the plane is landed it blows up. Violently.

0BhEFyM.jpg

Edited by Victorsaurus
Humpback
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok check this out. Just a concept using some Kerbal Re-usability Expansion's "Draco" engines. The efficiency...well, its really not, but it gets the brain working. This would be one awesome VTOL option. Very balanced! Alright, I'll quit posting for a bit :) but OPT is just too cool.

NY9AnHb.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2016 at 8:54 AM, K.Yeon said:

 

dUx6wwJ.png

 

 

Hi K. Yeon

Looking at the J parts lineup, i can't make out if the cargo bay opens up only on the top or also on the bottom. I'm asking because, if the Stail series is going to be discontinued, the J mk2 cargo bay that opens top and bottom is going to be abandoned too i assume. As you've seen in the photo series i posted, my shuttle carries a rover, which it lowers to the surface using winches. When the shuttle returns to the interplanetary stage in orbit, a robot arm would load cargo containers into the shuttle's cargo bay. But in order to do so, the cargo bay needs to be accessible from the top. 

So, in short: will the new J series have a top &  bottom opening cargo bay? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...