Full Tutorial For (Almost) Absolute Beginner?

Hello! I am Mrab Ezreb. I got started with programming with batch (ah, those were the days, when I felt like I could do or hack anything I wanted with my haxorz.bat) then HTML (that didn't last long) then lua (in minecraft with computercraft) then java (want to make mods for minecraft). I have mostly forgotten batch (curse you windows 7!) and html (meh, they have website creators, and besides, flash websites are all the rage.) Lua, well, It kindof just got mixed up with java, and I don't remember it that much. Java, I mostly remember, but I haven't done much coding recently. I would like to know how to write a mod for KSP, pretty much from scratch. Could anybody help me out with that? Thanks!

Since you didn't mention any C#, or even JAVA or C++, I suggest you start by learning C# (.NET or Mono).

From there on, I'm still out on a search for bits of information about KSP modding, and I practically dream in C# these days.

take a little mod, search for the source, download the source, open the source, and look how its done.

I can attest to the value of this. Nothing is harder than looking at a blank slate, but if you have something that works to start with, it makes everything so much easier.

It's also super helpful to search around on this forum, as people have almost definitely asked the kind of questions you might have.

Also, check out all the links at the very bottom of the post here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94638-New-Mod-Development-Links-Compilation

Specifically,

• KSP API Documentation
  • Official PartModule Documentation
  • Starting out on Plugins
  • KSP Plugin Framework - Plugin Examples and Structure
  • Example plugin projects to help you get started
  • The official unoffical help a fellow plugin developer thread
  • Wiki page on Plugins
  • Creating your first module

As for looking at existing plugins... that only helps so much. Often it can help if you are looking how to implement a very specific feature, but trying to use plugins as a learning guide is actually awful. It often feels like this:

you_down_wit_OPC-yeah_you_know_me.png

Step one: learn some basic c#

Step two: write a really basic plugin (I mean really basic my first and only plugin, LFO Balancer has only one class and four methods!) and work your way up

If you need more help, browse this forum for your question and if its not there, ask it! The experienced modders are really helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.