Steam has begun ruining my life!!

Helix935

After my Xbox Red-ringed, i thought it would be only a temporary thing and would be able to continue playing Dishonored within only a short time so after a week i decided to get steam and play some TF2 to pass the time...

that was a month ago now i have just bought Stanley parable a few days ago along with XCOM: Enemy Unknown and other stuff plus i bought Alien:Isolation and now i am not sure why i haven't thrown out my Xbox...

i haven't played as much as some people.... for now but i just ended up completing a 7 hour run on XCOM and i now i can't seem to shake off the feeling that my life is going to go to crap soon my wallet has only like 20 bucks now...

comments?

and no i haven't put KSP on Steam since i use 64-Bit plus it would probab;y show like 3000 hours by now if i had when i started...

You realise that you have a problem with steam when you are starting to buy old games from steam that you already have as boxed versions at home.

don't worry i am avoiding that even though i am tempted to buy bioshock (all of them) for steam even though i have it boxed....

And you haen´t even experienced the Steam Sales, where games are reduced by 75% and more and the incentive to empty your wallet is even higher ;)

yes i have, how do you think i bought XCOM: complete and Stanley parable with twenty bucks then used the rest for 2 TF2 mann vs. machine tickets plus one cheap hat

Why is everyone so excited about Steam? Its just an obstacle on the way from buying a game to playing it (install steam, register an account, start steam, log in...). I get why some like the sales but older games are cheaper at normal stores, too. Also we had Autoupdates and Achievements before...

A large number of games like Bioshock 2 can be activated on steam with the boxed copy code fyi.

Also the weekly deals every monday, midweek deals and weekend deals. Frankly if you've any patience at all there's no reason to buy anything at full price.

(Yes I like steam)

A large number of games like Bioshock 2 can be activated on steam with the boxed copy code fyi.

Why do you like that? Its just a longer time until the game runs if you have to start steam each time...

Why do you like that? Its just a longer time until the game runs if you have to start steam each time...

Well in the particular case of Bioshock 2 I got free DLC by doing it.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that here in Ireland, what few game shops we have, stock next to nothing for the PC unless you want to buy the sims or something that was released last week. Steam is simply a better option than retail shops for me at least.

Steam frontloads the hassle of DRM, and offers a juicy carrot if you make it through the proccess.

Sure, the first time you install Steam, get an account, log your card, it's a whole bunch of paperwork and you're wondering when you're going to get to play a game. But then you set it to launch on startup, so whenever you want to play a game, you open the window, start your game and play. And once you're past those hurdles, Steam becomes your Games Folder, offering cheaper games (if you buy it *now* on sale) for the click of a button.

yes i have, how do you think i bought XCOM: complete and Stanley parable with twenty bucks then used the rest for 2 TF2 mann vs. machine tickets plus one cheap hat

Well, there are Steam sales and Steam sales ...

that one or 2 games are on sale throughout a week is just a "normal sale".

What I am talking about, however, are the big Steam sales... that means Summer Sale, Winter Sale and Halloween Sale with one or more weeks of ~100 sales / day (and the sales daily changing)

So, from the information that you got 1-2 games reduced I wouldn´t be able to deduct, if you already experienced one of the large Steam sales

You realise that you have a problem with steam when you are starting to buy old games from steam that you already have as boxed versions at home.

I did that with Civilization IV. I haven't even installed it on Steam, but I bought it as it came with Colonization, which I'd wanted to play. To buy Colonization on its own was only about £1.50 cheaper, so I thought I may as well.

(You'll notice it's even worse when you make long-winded justifications for your double-purchase).

Also the weekly deals every monday, midweek deals and weekend deals. Frankly if you've any patience at all there's no reason to buy anything at full price.

(Yes I like steam)

wait i can do that? whoa i need to check *digs through boxes* this could take a while since i am at school

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.