What input device(s) do you use with KSP?

PhaserArray

What input device(s) do you use with KSP?

Responses

I use a keyboard and a mouse, I do have a Dark Tornado joystick made by SpeedLink, but it isn't good for much more than driving a rover. I recently purchased a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, it should arrive in a few weeks, can't wait :)

Edit: Added Touchpad option.

Edited by PhaserArray

Mostly mouse and keyboard here too, in fact. Although I also use the 3D mouse a lot (especially suitable for EVA and docking).

I'm aware that joystick mapping is problematic atm, so that makes using joysticks less practical than would be desired. Hopefully during Beta we'll get a chance to improve input mapping and the input layout in general. (emphasis on 'hopefully')

But when I do, I set up my trusty X52 Pro and Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They're showing signs of age these days, but still up to the job. :)

Can't say I've ever tried using a steering wheel though. I have a Driving Force GT here, but I get the feeling it would fall short in the amount of axes available. :)

As for control panels... man, I dream of the day I'll have the amounts of free time building one of those requires.

Cheers

Mostly mouse and keyboard here too, in fact. Although I also use the 3D mouse a lot (especially suitable for EVA and docking).

I'm aware that joystick mapping is problematic atm, so that makes using joysticks less practical than would be desired. Hopefully during Beta we'll get a chance to improve input mapping and the input layout in general. (emphasis on 'hopefully')

But when I do, I set up my trusty X52 Pro and Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. They're showing signs of age these days, but still up to the job. :)

Can't say I've ever tried using a steering wheel though. I have a Driving Force GT here, but I get the feeling it would fall short in the amount of axes available. :)

As for control panels... man, I dream of the day I'll have the amounts of free time building one of those requires.

Cheers

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*ahem*

Nice.

:Envious: Is it a 3DConnexion one? I've been seriously considering one of these when I build a new computer but there doesn't seem to be a compatibility list of what works and what doesn't.

Mouse and keyboard. Considering hooking my joystick back up and trying that.

What I really want to do, however, is hook KSP up to my G27 racing wheel. Accelerator to throttle up, brakes to throttle down, clutch to unlock staging, gear shifter to change stages... oh the possibilities :D

Wow, I'm surprised so many people use mouse and keyboard! Once I started using a Nintendo-type game controller, I never looked back. I don't think I could even manage docking or EVA without one! I am left-handed. I use the left joystick for pointing the ship and the right one for RCS up/down/left/right translation. Roll, forward/back translation, and EVA maneuvering are on the HAT switches. Throttle up/down is the left-hand forward buttons, SAS/RCS toggle is the right-hand ones. Button 2 cuts the throttle, and I haven't mapped the other 3 to anything yet. Anyway, I find this FAR easier than using the keyboard.

Edited by herbal space program

:Envious: Is it a 3DConnexion one? I've been seriously considering one of these when I build a new computer but there doesn't seem to be a compatibility list of what works and what doesn't.

Yep. I've got a SpaceNavigator and a SpaceMouse here, both work very well using the beta drivers (which support more than one device at a time). I can't say I've tested other devices (not having other devices presents quite a challenge on that front), but even if your device isn't supported, you could be able to emulate recognizable 6DOF input using GlovePIE to translate the input from your device into 3D mouse input (I think, haven't tested, but similar kludges have worked for me in the past on other games).

I definitely recommend getting one, and not just for KSP. If you do any sort of 3D work at all (even Google Earth in fact), a 3D mouse is a very good tool to have. Having broken the wheel off a mouse once midway through a grueling overnight 3Ds Max animation project, I can give you a first-hand account of just how much better it is to be able to navigate a 3D scene using a proper 3D device.

Cheers

Ack. I submitted the survey saying keyboard and mouse, completely forgetting the time I hooked up a simple digital controller for some rover driving.

In the settings I saw the whole "6DOF only under Windows" thing, and I assumed it meant no joysticks or analogue gamepads would work with KSP under Linux. I now fear I was wrong there, anyone know?

Normally mouse and keyboard, but I also have a Steel Battalion controller (and pedals) that I've been trying to get working. It already works well for some other games, but not with KSP or other Unity games since the engine ignores system calibration settings. I might try writing a plugin to get it working, which will let me access all the buttons instead of just a few. I should also be able to make them blink in response to in-game events.

Keyboard & mouse mostly. Sometimes I break out my logitec joystick for docking and moving space station pieces around with a tug. Oh and my mouth too. It's an input device for my beer while I play KSP...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.