[0.25] Kerbal Warp Drive! Procedural systems from a seed you choose! v1.1.0, 16 Nov.

English Mobster

So the transition from the sun's soi to another body's soi is not loading? Does this happen if you go from kerbins soi to the sun' soi? Physics not loading for new soi? Do the trajectories in map view show an encounter?

To some extent, that was exactly what happened. SOI changes would work fine sometimes and not-so-fine other times. The map view would show an encounter, but you would never leave the SOI of the larger body. If I hacked myself into orbit, I could get to the Sun's SOI, but not to a planet's SOI.

I actually fixed it, and I'm not sure how. I think I fixed it by updating the childBodies of each CelestialBody. I'm edging closer and closer to release, but one more bug just popped up -- a moon was named incorrectly, taking the name of planet "e" when it should've taken the name of planet "c." Everything else was correct, although the orbit looks as if it wouldn't be terribly stable (its orbit crosses paths with the orbit of another moon -- it's a matter of time before the two likely hit one another).

I'm going to see what I can do to clean that up. Then it's just making sure that there is no other game-breaking bugs and we'll get it out there. I've made a lot of improvements, I think, and I'd rather have the new version out over the older version.

E: Hmm. Is there a way to turn off the auto-destruct for vessels on rails? I safely landed a crew of Kerbals on a planet surface, then warped away and came back. When I returned, my Kerbals/landed ship was gone. When I checked the debug log, I found this message:

[LOG 01:09:54.032] Vessel Untitled Space Craft was on-rails at 0.1 atm pressure and was destroyed.
[LOG 01:09:54.034] [04:16:34]: Joefred Kerman was killed.
[LOG 01:09:54.034] [04:16:34]: Meltrey Kerman was killed.
[LOG 01:09:54.034] [04:16:34]: Dosey Kerman was killed.

My vessel was landed, not on rails. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid that happening in the future, as the risk of spontaneous death would likely deter any would-be Kerbal colonists on a faraway planet's surface.

Edited by English Mobster

What's the status with separate persistents?

Also, I'd really love it if the names of the bodies actually changed, so I could make asteroid belts around the new stars with CustomAsteroids, as well as custom clouds for the new planets.

Edited by _Augustus_

I'd really love it if the names of the bodies actually changed, so I could make asteroid belts around the new stars with CustomAsteroids, as well as custom clouds for the new planets.

What do you mean by actually changed? As far as the game is concerned, they do actually change -- I change CelestialBody.bodyName, which changes the name of the planet itself everywhere. There might be some sort of PlanetID somewhere which doesn't get changed, but I'm not sure what playing around with that would do. I haven't done much poking around there in any event.

What's the status with separate persistents?

It's going pretty well, I'd suppose, considering I'm announcing the release of version 1.1.0!

Changelog:

[B]Features[/B]
Added craft persistence between solar systems.
Updated cost and science requirement for Hyperdrive part.
Automatically return to Kerbol when "Return to Space Center" is clicked, leaving your craft in orbit around the other system.

[B]Tweaks[/B]
Changed some randomization features to use a normal distribution.
Improved performance of RNG (thanks, paul23!)

There might be a very, very slight performance hit on some systems, as the game has to write more persistence files to disk than usual. However, I most sincerely doubt that anyone would notice it, especially consdering that it only happens at non-critical moments (such as when the game is paused).

There's also potential for some new bugs, since I still don't entirely understand how KSP works internally. What I have now seems to work, but there's always the potential that someone finds stuff I don't. There also seems to be more moons than there should be in the latest release, which will likely be addressed in the next patch.

As I've mentioned before, I work at Disneyland and we're gearing up for the holidays. This means that there are a lot more guests in the park, which means I have to work a lot more (and I come home a lot more tired). As such, releases may slow down just slightly (you've probably noticed it by how long it took me to get my bug fixes done). They should pick up again when the holidays are over and everyone goes back to school/work. I won't stop development on this by any means, but I wanted to give you guys the heads-up that I won't have quite as much time to myself.

What do you mean by actually changed? As far as the game is concerned, they do actually change -- I change CelestialBody.bodyName, which changes the name of the planet itself everywhere. There might be some sort of PlanetID somewhere which doesn't get changed, but I'm not sure what playing around with that would do. I haven't done much poking around there in any event.

It's going pretty well, I'd suppose, considering I'm announcing the release of version 1.1.0!

Changelog:

[B]Features[/B]
Added craft persistence between solar systems.
Updated cost and science requirement for Hyperdrive part.
Automatically return to Kerbol when "Return to Space Center" is clicked, leaving your craft in orbit around the other system.

[B]Tweaks[/B]
Changed some randomization features to use a normal distribution.
Improved performance of RNG (thanks, paul23!)

There might be a very, very slight performance hit on some systems, as the game has to write more persistence files to disk than usual. However, I most sincerely doubt that anyone would notice it, especially consdering that it only happens at non-critical moments (such as when the game is paused).

There's also potential for some new bugs, since I still don't entirely understand how KSP works internally. What I have now seems to work, but there's always the potential that someone finds stuff I don't. There also seems to be more moons than there should be in the latest release, which will likely be addressed in the next patch.

As I've mentioned before, I work at Disneyland and we're gearing up for the holidays. This means that there are a lot more guests in the park, which means I have to work a lot more (and I come home a lot more tired). As such, releases may slow down just slightly (you've probably noticed it by how long it took me to get my bug fixes done). They should pick up again when the holidays are over and everyone goes back to school/work. I won't stop development on this by any means, but I wanted to give you guys the heads-up that I won't have quite as much time to myself.

Okay. The separate persistents should do what I wanted... I'm gonna set up some CustomAsteroids tests.

Also, if they actually changed then clouds wouldn't show up on the new planets, and normal asteroids wouldn't spawn.

And whoa: You're a disneyland coder? xD

Never been to disneyland, disneyworld in orlando is just overwhelming.

Asteroids and flags should be working as intended, so let me know if you manage to break it so I can put out a hotfix. I did a lot of testing, but asteroids, flags, and debris gave me the hardest of times. They should all be fixed now, but I wanted to get something out there so people weren't left waiting.

I'm not so much a coder at Disneyland -- I work as an attractions host, which means I run the rides. I usually work at Star Tours, but I also do a lot of crowd control during parades and fireworks.

As far as comparing Disneyland and Walt Disney World -- Disney World is so much bigger. Like crazy big. If you have seen Disney World and you go to Disneyland, it'll be completely different because Disneyland is so small. I mean, we do have some pretty cool rides, but honestly it's nothing like Disney World (except for It's a Small World -- ours is a million times better). That being said, because we're smaller, Cast Members like myself have less restrictions on us (from what I hear) and can more easily make magic happen. But I'm biased. :P

Asteroids and flags should be working as intended, so let me know if you manage to break it so I can put out a hotfix. I did a lot of testing, but asteroids, flags, and debris gave me the hardest of times. They should all be fixed now, but I wanted to get something out there so people weren't left waiting.

I'm not so much a coder at Disneyland -- I work as an attractions host, which means I run the rides. I usually work at Star Tours, but I also do a lot of crowd control during parades and fireworks.

As far as comparing Disneyland and Walt Disney World -- Disney World is so much bigger. Like crazy big. If you have seen Disney World and you go to Disneyland, it'll be completely different because Disneyland is so small. I mean, we do have some pretty cool rides, but honestly it's nothing like Disney World (except for It's a Small World -- ours is a million times better). That being said, because we're smaller, Cast Members like myself have less restrictions on us (from what I hear) and can more easily make magic happen. But I'm biased. :P

Star Tours? I always have wanted to go to that.

And It's A Small World is terrifying.

Anyways, so may I ask, is Nepdor at coordinates 123 the same?

Also, when I was testing version 1.0 Jool never had moons. Why?

Finally: I'm testing this with Kethane. I presume it'll work...

UPDATE:

When I activated my warp drive, the game told me I was traveling to whatever system it was, then froze. I killed it before anything else happened.

Edited by _Augustus_

UPDATE:

When I activated my warp drive, the game told me I was traveling to whatever system it was, then froze. I killed it before anything else happened.

Hmm. That's odd. The game only displays that message when everything is done correctly -- if it detects that it's about to freeze for any reason or ANYTHING goes wrong, I abort the warp and display an error message. Displaying the success message is literally one of the very last things that happens.

Can you do me a favor and try one more time? If it happens again, find your player.log or output_log.txt file and put it on Pastebin so I can look at it and see what went wrong. Log files can be found here:

â—¦ Windows (32-bit): {KSP}\KSP_Data\output_log.txt

â—¦ Windows (64-bit): {KSP}\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt

â—¦ Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log. Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

â—¦ Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

Hmm. That's odd. The game only displays that message when everything is done correctly -- if it detects that it's about to freeze for any reason or ANYTHING goes wrong, I abort the warp and display an error message. Displaying the success message is literally one of the very last things that happens.

Can you do me a favor and try one more time? If it happens again, find your player.log or output_log.txt file and put it on Pastebin so I can look at it and see what went wrong. Log files can be found here:

â—¦ Windows (32-bit): {KSP}\KSP_Data\output_log.txt

â—¦ Windows (64-bit): {KSP}\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt

â—¦ Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log. Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log

â—¦ Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

Didn't even need to do that. The issue was that the warp drive was unable to despawn some launch clamps, I looked at the KSP.log.

UPDATE: Launched game, was able to warp fine. After a few warps I froze again.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Here's what I got when it froze:

(Filename: Line: 1617)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost

Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

Edited by _Augustus_

• 2 weeks later...

I think I mentioned this before, but I am getting a ton of planets with atmosphere heights of zero, asl pressures of zero, or scale heights of zero. The only planets that seem capable of receiving a new atmosphere are Moho and Eeloo. Also, planets that normally have atmospheres (Duna, Kerbin, Laythe, Eve) don't change in pressure or atmosphere height, only scale height.

Here are some pictures of a system from seed 5000:

fYb6fMH.png

VcBFSkN.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just tested it out and looks like its working fine in .90. Nothing detectablely wrong that i could tell with a quick spin

EDIT: I was wrong, looks like in new systems planets arnt moving properly (they orbit, in timewarp, but when you end warp they revert back to their position)

Edited by rabidninjawombat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.