The best free game/simulator recording/image taker besides Fraps free?

Compatible AMD card:

AMD GVR or pretty much any other recorder that supports VCE either natively or via plugin.

Compatible Nvidia card:

Shadowplay or any other recorder that supports NVCE either natively or via plugin.

Intel HD Graphics:

Pretty much any recording software that supports quicksync either natively or via plugin.

As example Afterburner and OBS offer all these options, although I think for OBS you need the fork with VCE support if it's for AMD. But again, there are more...

The plugins normally come with the driver.

Edited by slumpie

No. You can tell because Fraps comes from Fraps.com, and isn't open source, and is called Fraps, whereas Screen Capturer is open source, is hosted on Sourceforge, and is called "screen-capture-recorder-to-video-windows-free".

Oh. It's illeagal.

Oh. It's illeagal.

No, it's legal, it's just not fraps. It's totally unrelated, other than also being a program that can record video. The project's github has the license info, essentially it's based off of the Microsoft SDK demo code, and therefore covered by that license.

Right to Use and Distribute. The code and text files listed below are “Distributable Code.â€Â

· REDIST.TXT Files. You may copy and distribute the object code form of code listed in REDIST.TXT files, plus any files listed on the REDIST list located at <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=185268&clcid=0x409>.

· Sample Code. You may modify, copy, and distribute the source and object code form of code marked as “sample.â€Â

· Sample Code for Microsoft Bing Maps AJAX Control. The software contains sample code that makes use of the Bing Maps AJAX Control. Your use and access of the Bing Maps AJAX Control is subject to the “Microsoft Bing Maps Platform API’s Terms of Use†which is located at: <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=185267&clcid=0x409>.

· Microsoft Merge Modules. You may copy and distribute the unmodified output of Microsoft Merge Modules.

· Third Party Distribution. You may permit distributors of your programs to copy and distribute the Distributable Code as part of those programs.

ii. Distribution Requirements. For any Distributable Code you distribute, you must

· add significant primary functionality to it in your programs;

· for any Distributable Code having a filename extension of .lib, distribute only the results of running such Distributable Code through a linker with your application;

· distribute Distributable Code included in a setup program only as part of that setup program without modification;

· require distributors and external end users to agree to terms that protect it at least as much as this agreement;

· display your valid copyright notice on your programs;

· for Distributable Code from the Windows Media Services SDK portions of the software, include in your program’s Help-About box (or in another obvious place if there is no box) the following copyright notice: “Portions utilize Microsoft Windows Media Technologies. Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reservedâ€Â; and

· indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Microsoft from any claims, including attorneys’ fees, related to the distribution or use of your programs.

iii. Distribution Restrictions. You may not

· alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in the Distributable Code;

· use Microsoft’s trademarks in your programs’ names or in a way that suggests your programs come from or are endorsed by Microsoft;

· distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than the Windows platform;

· include Distributable Code in malicious, deceptive or unlawful programs; or

· modify or distribute the source code of any Distributable Code so that any part of it becomes subject to an Excluded License. An Excluded License is one that requires, as a condition of use, modification or distribution, that

· the code be disclosed or distributed in source code form; or

· others have the right to modify it.

So perfectly legal.

No, it's legal, it's just not fraps. It's totally unrelated, other than also being a program that can record video. The project's github has the license info, essentially it's based off of the Microsoft SDK demo code, and therefore covered by that license.
Right to Use and Distribute. The code and text files listed below are “Distributable Code.â€Â

· REDIST.TXT Files. You may copy and distribute the object code form of code listed in REDIST.TXT files, plus any files listed on the REDIST list located at <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=185268&clcid=0x409>.

· Sample Code. You may modify, copy, and distribute the source and object code form of code marked as “sample.â€Â

· Sample Code for Microsoft Bing Maps AJAX Control. The software contains sample code that makes use of the Bing Maps AJAX Control. Your use and access of the Bing Maps AJAX Control is subject to the “Microsoft Bing Maps Platform API’s Terms of Use†which is located at: <http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=185267&clcid=0x409>.

· Microsoft Merge Modules. You may copy and distribute the unmodified output of Microsoft Merge Modules.

· Third Party Distribution. You may permit distributors of your programs to copy and distribute the Distributable Code as part of those programs.

ii. Distribution Requirements. For any Distributable Code you distribute, you must

· add significant primary functionality to it in your programs;

· for any Distributable Code having a filename extension of .lib, distribute only the results of running such Distributable Code through a linker with your application;

· distribute Distributable Code included in a setup program only as part of that setup program without modification;

· require distributors and external end users to agree to terms that protect it at least as much as this agreement;

· display your valid copyright notice on your programs;

· for Distributable Code from the Windows Media Services SDK portions of the software, include in your program’s Help-About box (or in another obvious place if there is no box) the following copyright notice: “Portions utilize Microsoft Windows Media Technologies. Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reservedâ€Â; and

· indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Microsoft from any claims, including attorneys’ fees, related to the distribution or use of your programs.

iii. Distribution Restrictions. You may not

· alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in the Distributable Code;

· use Microsoft’s trademarks in your programs’ names or in a way that suggests your programs come from or are endorsed by Microsoft;

· distribute Distributable Code to run on a platform other than the Windows platform;

· include Distributable Code in malicious, deceptive or unlawful programs; or

· modify or distribute the source code of any Distributable Code so that any part of it becomes subject to an Excluded License. An Excluded License is one that requires, as a condition of use, modification or distribution, that

· the code be disclosed or distributed in source code form; or

· others have the right to modify it.

So perfectly legal.

I couldn't read that big quote. What does that mean?

• 2 months later...
if you have the right graphic card use Shadow play or use MSI Afterburner. Afterburner takes pics and HD video no watermarks. Best of all its free.

Yeah, I can't recommend MSI Afterburner enough... free, easy to use, no watermarks, good compromise between size and video compression, no length limits (I've recorded hour long videos with it), minimal framerate impact. It's what I've used for all my videos.

While not completely free you could use ACTION! from Mirillis for 30 days for free. Considering it is only $30 for the full license it is not overly expensive, and does a lot of things that FRAPS cannot; like split mic audio from game audio for easier audio fixing. I use it myself with very good success, it does have some issues now and again but nothing that cannot be resolved. I tried the free ones myself but just found them to be very clunky, fraps is ok but not overly great when you look around. Also ACTION! can do streaming, although I have not done this myself due to ISP being very terrible.

I used nVidia's shadow play feature since it's free if you've got the right graphics card, but I'm probably going to switch to OBS because it can also record the same way but with more options, especially for Twitch streaming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.