GPS + remote tech, is this an impossible task?

so im trying to set up a gps constellation but im stuck on trying to fix my orbits to the correct alt/speed position in orbit. the main problem is caused by losing contact with the ground station so i cant actually do maneuvers when i need to.

should i make a communication array first? just so i can fine tune the gps constellation or is there a better way?

honestly this feels like its challenge worthy, i.e. make a gps constellation with as few satellite launches as possible.

You could get KOS and program your GPS satellites to perform maneuvers on their own when not in contact with the KSC.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then you'll have to set up a relay of some kind for burns that happen when not in line-of-sight with mission control.

i find a single Geostationary positioned above KSC works wonders - narrows the blind spot down to a small area on the other side of the planet. quite easy to launch too... try an ascent keeping to 75-85 pitch at between 1.4 and 2 TWR (2G) and you can get it up in one go without losing line of sight - obviously make sure you have sufficently ranged comms on it.

One option is to set up the first couple of sats with manned missions until your network is good enough to go unmanned.

This is what I always do. I put a pod up with 3 radially-mounted satellites, Ap at KSO altitude with a period of 4 hours. Get to Ap, circularize to a period of 6 hours (or whatever the day length is now), deploy, drop period back down to 4 hours rinse and repeat

One thing to note is that RT does have a bare bones flight computer built in. Click on the little icon that looks like a calculator next to your flight timer. This will pull up a window that is kindof a combination of mechjebs smartASS along with an option to execute next manuver node. If you setup the manuver while you have signal you can tell it to fly the node and it will do it even if it has no signal when the time comes (still needs power though) Make sure you tell it to point at the node first otherwise it will turn on the engine while its rotating to face the node when the time comes and will fly it poorly.

I do agree with the geostationary relay sat above KSP though. That will give prety good coverage in general and once you start puting up the GPS sats they should bounce the signal around to the blindspot with their omni's. Just be aware the comunitron 16's probably wont have the range to talk to the sat in geostat. Youll either need the longer ranged omni (communitron 32) or have a directional dish like the DTS-M1 (the stock flat deployable one). the DTS has a nice wide cone so pointing the one on the geostationary at kerbin will cover most of the orbital area your intrested in and your GPS sats point another DTS at the GEOsat. agian omnies will bounce the signal around to the darkside as long as a couple can talk to the main one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.