Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

I'm sure once the drama-llama has left town there'll be a new Realism Overhaul support thread. In the meantime, if you have a copy of Realism Overhaul downloaded, go into the 'REWORK' folder and pick out a mod you'd like to work with Realism Overhaul. (Note, the NearFutureEngines are already done, KW may be very nearly done, have to look into that, and I've almost got RLA complete)

From there, install the mod on a lean version of the game:

Realism Overhaul

KJR

Hyperedit (for easy teleporting to orbit to test parts)

ModuleRCSFX

PartCatalog (to filter for just the parts from your mod)

RealFuels

RealismOverhaul

TweakScale

Your chosen mod

Any other mods your mod calls (EngineIgnitor, for example)

So it doesn't take so long to launch) and make sure everything works the way it ought to. Tinker around with the config file to try to fix things that don't work, and if you don't know how to do something absolutely feel free to ask, there are a multitude of helpful people around, or you can just PM me and hopefully I can point you in the right direction.

Once you've got a finished product, ready to add to Realism Overhaul, submit it to Github (I can help you with that once you're to that point) and voila! You've contributed to making Realism Overhaul awesome!

First, I'd like to take this opportunity to offer a very big and very public "Thank you!" to RedAV8R for all the excellent work he has put in to Realism Overhaul. He has taken it from a few scattered patches and guesstimated values to pretty much a total conversion, and with painstaking and equisite detail. We can only hope that future contributions to RO may live up to that standard.

To those who wish to thank him, and wish him well, saying so by PM is never amiss. :)

To those who wish to contribute, have already offered to, thank you so much! Felger has (right above this post) written an excellent guide to how to get started.

It may take a day or two to get a new thread set up. For now you can get the latest release from RO's repository (note that a few days ago, well before this happened, the repo moved out from my personal github account to the KSP-RO group).

Is there any threat that RedAV8R could delete all the repos?

Doubtful. I grabbed a copy because when people are angry, irrational decisions can happen and I wanted to help protect against that regardless of how remote the possibility might be.

Many thanks to RedAV8R for his long-time support, and his continued help (Because honestly, I'm pretty terrible at all this stuff).

As many of you are aware, he's taking off for some personal time, and some time away from the inane and often-times annoying questions we all know come up for these sorts of things. I'm taking over support of the Realism Overhaul OP, with the help of NathanKell, and RedAV8R when he's around, and I've posted a new release thread in the Add-On releases forum. Please let me know if there's anything out of place (links going to the wrong page, etc)

Realism Overhaul Release Thread

Happy Rocket Sciencing!

Good people,I want to ask,how to make your brick to fly with RO!!! .I need to create a file cfg like those in the RO folder???

6934887_m.png

I second (or third) day break the puzzle ,tell me,old stupid noob, where my mistake,where do I dig?

Without posting the actual config files, I can only guess based on the names. You can very likely compile those into one config as well. No need to clutter up the RealismOverhaul folder with too many files (It's got enough as-is)

NathanKell : Yes, I put RSSROConfig = true, for instance, I forbade the stock structure of fuel! RESOURCE [LiquidFuel]! RESOURCE [Oxidizer]

It worked, but it still shows non_RO. Can I ask what it means "to all the parts that have correct stats for RO" ???.

Felger : Yes, I know that everything is put into one file, just check it.

NathanKell : Yes, I put RSSROConfig = true, for instance, I forbade the stock structure of fuel! RESOURCE [LiquidFuel]! RESOURCE [Oxidizer]

It worked, but it still shows non_RO. Can I ask what it means "to all the parts that have correct stats for RO" ???.

Felger : Yes, I know that everything is put into one file, just check it.

To add to what NathanKell said, RSSROConfig needs to be defined, but not equal to 'False'. Perhaps you're using:

@RSSROConfig = True

and not

%RSSROConfig = True

? This would not add the tag to the part, since the @ signifier in ModuleManager only modifies an existing variable.

Lol, see above. Just answered that for DECQ

But in case that's not exactly clear, a variable prefixed by an @ will only change an existing variable that exists in the config file. A variable prefixed by a % will either change the existing value, or add it if the variable doesn't already exist.

NathanKell : @PART[s-IC]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]%RSSROConfig = True

@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -16.76341, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

@node_stack_top = 0.0, 19.52426, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 10

@node_stack_connect01 = -5.987448, -13.41842, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

@node_stack_connect02 = 5.987448, -13.41842, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

@node_stack_connect03 = 0.0, -13.41842, 5.987448, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

@node_stack_connect04 = 0.0, -13.41842, -5.987448, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 4

!RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]

{

}

!RESOURCE[Oxidizer]

{

}

@stagingIcon = SOLID_BOOSTER

@MODULE

{

@name = ModuleEngines

@thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform

@throttleLocked = True

@exhaustDamage = True

@ignitionThreshold = 0.1

@minThrust = 225

@maxThrust = 225

@heatProduction = 200

@useEngineResponseTime = True

@engineAccelerationSpeed = 2.0

@allowShutdown = False

@fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.35

@staging = false

PROPELLANT

{

@name = SolidFuel

@ratio = 1.1

@DrawGauge = True

}

atmosphereCurve

{

@key = 0 270

@key = 1 250

}

ActivatesEvenIfDisconnected = true

}

}

Here is the latest attempt at the moment.I tried to prescribe something that is not working correctly at the first stage rocket.Do not rule out that this file is composed of errors,and perhaps it is one big mistake).

Felger : Thanks for the useful information! This will help me in the future!

DECQ: Alas yes there are some severe problems. However, in order to know how to help, first I ask a question:

Is that the part.cfg file, or is it a second file meant to patch the part.cfg file?

This is the second cfg file

In the meantime, if you have a copy of Realism Overhaul downloaded, go into the 'REWORK' folder and pick out a mod you'd like to work with Realism Overhaul.

OK, that post caused me to register in this site and share my humble attempts at making mods work together. I have almost made DMagic's Orbital Science pack to work with RO and after I have concluded that all parts work as they should, I will upload the .configs for inspection.

Many thanks for this awesome "modification" that made me return back to KSP after an year :)

Is there a launch window planner tool for RSS? I see the standard one has an option for Earth time, but doesn't seem to do anything. If there is no tool... whats everyone do to plan their trajectories? I also used the tool in "stock" ksp to double check my Dv amounts. I'm currently planning a trip to Jupiter. Is it really a 23k ejection and a 12k burn in?

Edited by Motokid600

Is there a launch window planner tool for RSS? I see the standard one has an option for Earth time, but doesn't seem to do anything. If there is no tool... whats everyone do to plan their trajectories? I also used the tool in "stock" ksp to double check my Dv amounts. I'm currently planning a trip to Jupiter. Is it really a 23k ejection and a 12k burn in?

You can use MechJeb's interplanetary burn planner, it gives you porkchop plots and everything!

Trigger Au's Transfer Window Planner should also work just fine.

Jupiter is about a 7km/s ejection burn and probably a 5km/s capture burn (much less with an aerocapture). That's assuming you nail the window, of course. Note that you'll not be circularizing your orbit, that's insanely expensive.

Trigger Au's Transfer Window Planner should also work just fine.

Jupiter is about a 7km/s ejection burn and probably a 5km/s capture burn (much less with an aerocapture). That's assuming you nail the window, of course. Note that you'll not be circularizing your orbit, that's insanely expensive.

Yeah, but does it have pork chop plots? On the other hand, the alarm clock will give you a reminder when you get close to a transfer window.

The closer your periapsis is to the planet's surface, the cheaper it is to achieve a capture (ie. highly eliptical) orbit, due to the Oberth effect. So you generally want your periapsis to be just above the planet's surface/atmosphere. But if your periapsis is so low, then lowering your apoapsis to the same degree becomes ridiculously expensive, especially in case of a huge planet like Jupiter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.