Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

How did the Apollo LM and CSM attach together? I know the LM was below the CSM and that the CSM decoupled and turned around and they connected nose to nose but how were they held together before that? Also why won't the Aerojet AJ10-137 ignite?

Edited by Keudn

im having some wonkeyness with the new engine sizing. it seems to me that with RO there is significantly less options to strap onto your rockets and fly into space. since they now all have crazy varying sizes i cant seem to make a rocket the same size. then the auto farings dont seem to work??? in the end i have had so many problems with RO that i dont think i can play with it. i have all the required and recommended mods and i think that they are installed correctly i have installed it and reinstalled it so many times that i at least think i have eliminated any chances for a simple mod install error. is this just me and im doing it wrong or is this how it is supposed to be but i am just not seeing it???

im having some wonkeyness with the new engine sizing. it seems to me that with RO there is significantly less options to strap onto your rockets and fly into space. since they now all have crazy varying sizes i cant seem to make a rocket the same size. then the auto farings dont seem to work??? in the end i have had so many problems with RO that i dont think i can play with it. i have all the required and recommended mods and i think that they are installed correctly i have installed it and reinstalled it so many times that i at least think i have eliminated any chances for a simple mod install error. is this just me and im doing it wrong or is this how it is supposed to be but i am just not seeing it???

I kind of feel the same way.

I dont see much of a point to remove the auto engine shroud, even if u try to use the procedural base fairing for the interstage it just adds to the complete rocket wobblying thing.

The best i have got is to design a rocket that can take a 3 crew ship with little fuel to LEO. If i try to add another stage for interplanetary transfer, the rocket just becomes the flying spaghetti monster. That's using PFairings, PParts, KW, tweakScale.

Also struts seem to be useless for some reason, joint reinforcement doest seem to be enough. Im using decouplers as big as the cargo, that weight like a ton.

B8FF146B8E912B09ED3800395D951032663FE968

002F33F732F7B184E1D24FF7BD3EE04B502037E2

Edited by Beduino

How did the Apollo LM and CSM attach together? I know the LM was below the CSM and that the CSM decoupled and turned around and they connected nose to nose but how were they held together before that? Also why won't the Aerojet AJ10-137 ignite?

The LM and CSM attached using docking ports, you'll find those in the utility section.

Likely it needs a pressurized fuel tank, use a balloon tank or service module tank, I can't remember off the top of my head which ones have those, procedural parts can be switched to them.

Hope that helps!

Try asking your questions in a less abrasive manner next time, you may get better results.

You have exactly as many options as in the stock game. If you need more, install some supported parts packs.

The auto fairings are intentional, use the procedural interstage.

The crazy varying sizes are intentional. They match real parts. We can fly rockets to space in real life, so can you!

Again, if you feel you don't have enough engine selection, install another part pack. Soviet engines is excellent, so is KW.

Read up on how real life rockets are built, watch some videos on people launching in real solar system on YouTube. Ask questions in a manner conducive to getting a nice answer. It's not that hard.

I kind of feel the same way.

I dont see much of a point to remove the auto engine shroud, even if u try to use the procedural base fairing for the interstage it just adds to the complete rocket wobblying thing.

The best i have got is to design a rocket that can take a 3 crew ship with little fuel to LEO. If i try to add another stage for interplanetary transfer, the rocket just becomes the flying spaghetti monster. That's using PFairings, PParts, KW, tweakScale.

Also struts seem to be useless for some reason, joint reinforcement doest seem to be enough. Im using decouplers as big as the cargo, that weight like a ton.

Thing is, the auto engine shroud doesn't add anything structurally. So that won't help you. As a suggestion, use SelectRoot to rebuild your rocket around a part near the center of mass. It'll stop most of wobbly rocket syndrome.

Thing is, the auto engine shroud doesn't add anything structurally. So that won't help you. As a suggestion, use SelectRoot to rebuild your rocket around a part near the center of mass. It'll stop most of wobbly rocket syndrome.

Ow really? So there's a bug, but using SelectRoot in a part near the center of mass of the whole rocket fixes it?

Going to try it right away.

Ow really? So there's a bug, but using SelectRoot in a part near the center of mass of the whole rocket fixes it?

Going to try it right away.

It's not really a bug, it's a consequence of the way the game measures the angular motion of the rocket. It's largely due to the fact that you have your control device on the end of a long semi flexible lever arm, so it ends up being a bit like pushing a hose. Now granted, stiffer joints would help, but it's not the root cause of the wobbly rocket syndrome when under SAS or mechjeb control.

It's not really a bug, it's a consequence of the way the game measures the angular motion of the rocket. It's largely due to the fact that you have your control device on the end of a long semi flexible lever arm, so it ends up being a bit like pushing a hose. Now granted, stiffer joints would help, but it's not the root cause of the wobbly rocket syndrome when under SAS or mechjeb control.

Ow thanks, it totally fixed the problem. Now I got a ship ready with 6k delta v from LEO.

So it basically means your main booster tank must be your root part, this should be on the RO faq.

Try asking your questions in a less abrasive manner next time, you may get better results.

You have exactly as many options as in the stock game. If you need more, install some supported parts packs.

The auto fairings are intentional, use the procedural interstage.

The crazy varying sizes are intentional. They match real parts. We can fly rockets to space in real life, so can you!

Again, if you feel you don't have enough engine selection, install another part pack. Soviet engines is excellent, so is KW.

Read up on how real life rockets are built, watch some videos on people launching in real solar system on YouTube. Ask questions in a manner conducive to getting a nice answer. It's not that hard.

im sorry i didn't think that there was any abrasiveness there sorry for that (im a New Englander yank so sarcastic dry responses are kind of our default) ok ill look into more part packs and then with the different sizes of engines do i just use the small engine strapped onto the larger tank and have the procedural interstage take up the slack? thanks and sorry about the unintentional abrasiveness. i really dont want to you to think that i dont respect the enormous amout of time and effort that is required to manage a huge mod like this :D

im sorry i didn't think that there was any abrasiveness there sorry for that (im a New Englander yank so sarcastic dry responses are kind of our default) ok ill look into more part packs and then with the different sizes of engines do i just use the small engine strapped onto the larger tank and have the procedural interstage take up the slack? thanks and sorry about the unintentional abrasiveness. i really dont want to you to think that i dont respect the enormous amout of time and effort that is required to manage a huge mod like this :D

Heh, sorry about that, consequence of performing communication over textual media!

I really ought to put together a good set of pictures showing how to make a rocket in Realism Overhaul. Would probably be very helpful. But generically, Procedural Parts for fuel tanks, Use the Procedural Thrust Plate (structures tab) to hook up multiple engines, and use the procedural interstage to cover them all up.

Additionally, use SelectRoot to select a part near the CoM to reduce wobbly rocket syndrome.

Heh, sorry about that, consequence of performing communication over textual media!

I really ought to put together a good set of pictures showing how to make a rocket in Realism Overhaul. Would probably be very helpful. But generically, Procedural Parts for fuel tanks, Use the Procedural Thrust Plate (structures tab) to hook up multiple engines, and use the procedural interstage to cover them all up.

Additionally, use SelectRoot to select a part near the CoM to reduce wobbly rocket syndrome.

of course! i completely forgot about the thrust plate. that would make life so much easier! :sticktongue: thanks again for your help

Do you have any idea why the RCS thrusters fire on both directions? Sometimes even continuously fire without any input. It makes things nearly impossible to dock.

Saturn 5 is a beast, but without rcs working i cant maneuver the CSM to dock the LM and get to the moon :)

3ABD7B2B250CDCDF7050766C75129BAAFC4467AA

Edited by Beduino

Do you have any idea why the RCS thrusters fire on both directions? Sometimes even continuously fire without any input. It makes things nearly impossible to dock.

Saturn 5 is a beast, but without rcs working i cant maneuver the CSM to dock the LM and get to the moon :)

Odd, try updating ModuleRCSFX to 3.3 (here) I'll be pushing out an update later today with that ModuleRCSFX update within it.

Odd, try updating ModuleRCSFX to 3.3 (here) I'll be pushing out an update later today with that ModuleRCSFX update within it.

Thanks, that helped a bit although the rcs fx slows the whole thing down now.

But at least by disabling sas and carefully placing the rcs thrusters around the COM i was able to dock. It needs lots more precision than in stock :/

Now if only i can get the deltav/amount of fuel correct for the CSM/LM.. it seems that ker is bugged, it either doesn't show a thing or it shows a undervalued deltav. Ship gets too heavy and dont have enough fuel for TLI burn.

Does MJ work better for deltav readout?

Edited by Beduino

The RCS slowdown is due to log spamming something like: Part RCSBlock adding force ....

Moon here i come. PS: Screwed symmetry of RCS thrusters at the bottom of CSM. :(

Docking after TLI burn.

410861AC6BEE652E9BB4237B18C1BB22DAFCEB7B

Arriving at Moon SOI

80059744D891E4CF731ABD2527E6BBE648180820

Edited by Beduino

I'm not sure if this is a stretchy tanks issue, but when loading craft in the VAB only ( does not occur if you load right to the pad at the space center ) predominantly made of stretchy tanks they all.. collapse like an accordion clipping into eachother. Or like on my latest build they spawn offcenter as well. The nodes get wacked it seems. When I pick the tank up its center node is moved to the very edge.

This all started happening with this new craft so I'm thinking that maybe its just something strange I'm doing. The only thing I can think of is the docking port I have connected to an insterage base. Placed a decoupler between the two just now to see if that helps. This bug makes have to rebuild the launcher each time. So as I rebuild it... I'd like to know if anyone maybe encountered this before. And if so was there a blatant solution? My other builds are fine with the occasional colllapsed/clipped tank, but all I have to do is pick it up and reset it. My new project however is just going bonkers.

I'd give more technical info such as logs, but ill just say that I am still running on 24.2. So I am not asking for detailed support. Just... Has anyone seern this before and what did you do about it? If not and its unheard of it'll end there.

I'm not sure if this is a stretchy tanks issue, but when loading craft in the VAB only ( does not occur if you load right to the pad at the space center ) predominantly made of stretchy tanks they all.. collapse like an accordion clipping into eachother. Or like on my latest build they spawn offcenter as well. The nodes get wacked it seems. When I pick the tank up its center node is moved to the very edge.

This all started happening with this new craft so I'm thinking that maybe its just something strange I'm doing. The only thing I can think of is the docking port I have connected to an insterage base. Placed a decoupler between the two just now to see if that helps. This bug makes have to rebuild the launcher each time. So as I rebuild it... I'd like to know if anyone maybe encountered this before. And if so was there a blatant solution? My other builds are fine with the occasional colllapsed/clipped tank, but all I have to do is pick it up and reset it. My new project however is just going bonkers.

I'd give more technical info such as logs, but ill just say that I am still running on 24.2. So I am not asking for detailed support. Just... Has anyone seern this before and what did you do about it? If not and its unheard of it'll end there.

I've seen this with stretchy tanks with no fuel tanks, they have such small mass the joints become inconsequential. Personally, I'd suggest upgrading to 0.25 and using Procedural Parts.

I've seen this with stretchy tanks with no fuel tanks, they have such small mass the joints become inconsequential. Personally, I'd suggest upgrading to 0.25 and using Procedural Parts.

Oh, right I keep forgetting its named procedural parts now. That is what im using.. and its actually occurring on very large tanks in the 10-20 meter range. So I guess that could be the problem.

Can anyone give me any guidelines on efficient accents in RSS? Whatever I do I struggle to get near 10km/s while real spacecraft use 8.5-9.5km/s.

Actually, if you check out the Realism Overhaul Wiki later this afternoon, I'm putting together guides for some of the basic stuff. Check out the link in the Realism Overhaul OP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.